• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PS3 Will Hit Graphical Ceiling

raphier

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The PC is still the lead platform. So it should be fine.
Usually the leading platform is the one which gets all the attention in media and developer scrutiny. This time I see zero PC related info.

So they showed a x360 version for the press.I get it. But why not show a comparison between their 'leading platform' and the x360.

Yoboman

raphier said:
Usually the leading platform is the one which gets all the attention in media and developer scrutiny. This time I see zero PC related info.

So they showed a x360 version for the press.I get it. But why not show a comparison between their 'leading platform' and the x360.
Because developers almost never do comparisons like that

low-ceiling.jpg

we'll have to wait for e3 footage probably, but hopefully the game has nice AA..

raphier said:

They are trying to sell the engine and the only way to do it is to make sure it runs and looks great on consoles. They tried to sell a PC-only engine and failed hard.

Draft

Haunted said:
I pray that they're focusing on making the PC game as good as humanly possible. All the console versions seem to do is distract the team from doing just that. I mean, I know the financials behind the situation, but as a gamer I really don't give a shit about the gimped versions.
:lol

PC version is doomed, man. Just walk away.

Mr_Zombie

daxter01 said:
how could some of you doubt crytek?

I really would love not to, but then I look at those screenshots (it doesn't matter whether they are screenshots or screencaps, they are plain ugly with low-res textures and lots of jaggies) and I just can't stop myself from doubting CryTek. ;_;

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
christ,what an embarrassment. All this about screengrabs from an engine trailer not even showing crysis 2. smh

StuBurns

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
christ,what an embarrassment. All this about screengrabs from an engine trailer not even showing crysis 2. smh
That's not really accurate, that trailer starts "Crysis 2, achieved with CryEngine3".

2real4tv

Nirolak said:
MLAA only works when the colors in your game aren't highly contrasting in luminance values. That wouldn't work well for a game like Crysis.

We went over this when The Saboteur used this and we got a giant article detailing the technique.

Edit:

You can read the technical paper here actually: http://visual-computing.intel-research.net/publications/mlaa.pdf

Or, if you just want to see the problem I'm referring to, look at the right half of this screenshot, specifically where the girl's face meets the red jacket, then compare it to the non zoomed hair: http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/8/6/7/8/5/1/Saboteur_Aliasing_001.jpg.jpg

I am not seeing what your talking about where the face meets the red shirt..looks good to me. I thought the biggest problem was the sub-pixel stuff and the slight blurring of the image(in Saboteur case).

From what I read I thought GOWIII is doing is extention MLAA and goes beyond what the document explains. I would trade a reduction in some effects to see a MLAA solution in Crysis 2. I wish more was known about it reasons not to use it, maybe your game has to be designed around it first.

Sutanreyu

zoukka said:
Looks like dogshit.

eijk49-6o.gif

:lol

I think it'll end up fine. They wouldn't waste their time if they didn't think the final product wouldn't end up at an acceptable quality level. I think we don't have enough to speculate right now and should just wait and see.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
2real4tv said:
I am not seeing what your talking about where the face meets the red shirt..looks good to me. I thought the biggest problem was the sub-pixel stuff and the slight blurring of the image(in Saboteur case).

From what I read I thought GOWIII is doing is extention MLAA and goes beyond what the document explains. I would trade a reduction in some effects to see a MLAA solution in Crysis 2. I wish more was known about it reasons not to use it, maybe your game has to be designed around it first.
No, your game doesn't have to be designed around it. The big reason not to use it is you need to dedicate a lot of SPUs for a significant amount of time to use MLAA, its not cheap.

The slight burring of the image is false, it only blurs the edges together, not the entire image. Only 1% (probably less maybe 0.1%?) of the pixels actually change colors. Sub-pixel isn't really a problem, its more of the advantage of other techniques. The big issue comes with cleaning up aliased objects that are only 1 pixel wide as there isn't enough data to improve the image quality in those cases.

Top Bottom