• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PS3 Will Hit Graphical Ceiling

Tom Penny

Great PR...Is there a date on any version of the game?

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2871/crysis-2-ps3-will-hit-graphical-ceiling

Crytek has claimed that it's NewYork-based FPS sequel Crysis 2 will bring an unbeatable new visual quality to the PS3

The console has been spoiled in recent months with Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 and God of War III each setting new graphical standards. However, lead Playstation 3 programmer Michael Glück is confident that Crysis 2 will exceed anything that has gone before.

"With each generation of game titles on PS3, usually every 2 years, the games improve significantly in its quality, mostly showing off in graphics," Glück told Play Magazine. "I think with Crysis 2 you will see the quality bar being set at a very high level that games will struggle to excel. We’re aiming to set a whole new benchmark with that game for all PS3 games."

The Crytek dev doesn't think that there will be much room for improvement in future games either. "Still with an AAA title shipped on PS3, you get the chance to improve further, so the next game developed with CryEngine 3 after Crysis 2 on PS3 will not be worse and rather be more polished and have higher quality in all areas. However, it is unlikely to see a major improvement in graphics as we try to not cut any graphical feature and rather optimize it until it becomes feasible. So I expect more density of game elements, physic effect, more interaction, but the major graphics quality will not be significantly improved."

ZeroRay

The tech demo they had with the rainy castle impressed me.

Now if they can get the framerate stable, we might have the top game on consoles graphically.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I find it very interesting that they've only made specific comments about the PS3 version in regards to console development. I can't tell if that bodes well or not for its development. At least we know it isn't being ignored.

Rengoku

Looks promising, but apart from Crysis 2, the next game to use this engine will be what? 2-3 years from now?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rengoku said:
Looks promising, but apart from Crysis 2, the next game to use this engine will be what? 2-3 years from now?
Crytek is a 550+ person company, so it's quite possible one of their other studios will release something before then.

Though considering one of those games seems to be an MMOFPS, perhaps not.

jiggles

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I find it very interesting that they've only made specific comments about the PS3 version in regards to console development. I can't tell if that bodes well or not for its development. At least we know it isn't being ignored.
It's from Play magazine. They only cover Sony hardware.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jigglywiggly said:
I didn't know that but they've said a few things about the PS3 version before and nothing specific about the 360 version.

Parham

Banned
Rengoku said:

Whatever Crytek UK / Free Radical is working on will likely use this engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RoboPlato said:
I didn't know that but they've said a few things about the PS3 version before and nothing specific about the 360 version.
duk said:
wat about the 360 version?

Apparently when PCGames.de went over there, the only version that was previewed was the Xbox 360 version. They're also frequently talking up the PS3 as you mentioned.

The PC version so far has been the only one that's mysteriously missing as a whole, though we have technically got two screenshots and a two second clip from the PC version.

Replicant

Get ready for the money shot:

30idj4x.jpg

jigglywiggly said:

That's weird because when I followed the link, the home page has multiple Xbox 360 previews and reviews. More than any two other systems combined in fact.

seady

Everyone say that. Almost every year we have someone come out and say they reach the limit of the console they are developing for. More like a marketing statement than truth.

JDSN

Banned
Nuh-uh, Uncharted 3 will totally hit it and then Killzone 3 will...like like...go through it and get to the..the Post-celling!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Not really bothered tbh, if it's anything like the cryengine on the PC I'm really not that impressed, I recently completed Crysis Warhead again on full settings on my PC and although the game graphically speaking had some highs for the most part it looked very 'janky', messy, it's hard to explain, the jungle always impresses me in combination with the physics of the foliage but beyond that I've never been that impressed with it.

Salazar

First, hurried misreading was "bring an unbearable new visual quality to the PS3".

My eyes, my eyes, and so on.

Rat Salad

Banned
We heard the same thing about a gimped game on the PS3-Ghost Busters. The joke isn't funny the 2nd time around though.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Zen said:
Misleading thread title.

Actually your right, reading through the article all they say is that they are going to set a bar that others will find hard to jump beyond easily rather than hitting the 'ceiling', which I can see being true, I'm sure others will better it graphically in areas but the jump in visuals will be smaller.

lowrider007 said:
Not really bothered tbh, if it's anything like the cryengine on the PC I'm really not that impressed, I recently completed Crysis Warhead again on full settings on my PC and although the game graphically speaking had some highs for the most part it looked very 'janky', messy, it's hard to explain, the jungle always impresses me in combination with the physics of the foliage but beyond that I've never been that impressed with it.
. . .

People really continue to say this? What, do people not have good vision anymore?

lowrider007 said:
What did I say wrong ?, and be calm please.
I have no idea what you mean by janky. Crysis Warhead continues to blow me away every single time I see it. The amount of detail is absolutely insane.

It would be extremely impressive if they can "max out" two architectures so completely foreign to one another (Cell/x86). Which is why I have my doubts. And its pretty presumptuous considering most of Sony's big guns likely have another few years on this thing.

Can't wait to see what they do though. ;)

mujun

So which is it, the 360 version will look worse than the PS3 one or the 360 game will look better than Uncharted 2 on the PS3 :lol

Top Bottom