• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PS3 Will Hit Graphical Ceiling

k47as9.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sounds nice, even though we've heard similar statements before.
I don't have a gaming PC so I'd like to enjoy (some) of the Crysis experience on my PS3 since that's the only option aside from the 360.
Considering that Crysis is considered pretty much the best looking PC game ever I doubt that Crytek will not deliver for the PC gamers. Maybe we can all enjoy it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ZephyrFate said:
Didn't you know? Crysis is janky.

I put that word in air quotes for a reason as it was was hard to explain what I meant and the word 'Janky' felt like it fitted, stop being so melodramatic, I'm a PC gamer that isn't a fan of the cryengine, it's hardly the end of the world.

mujun said:
So which is it, the 360 version will look worse than the PS3 one or the 360 game will look better than Uncharted 2 on the PS3 :lol
My guess: Crysis 2 looks awesome on both, but not even close to God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 :p Sry Crytek, not buying it from what I've seen so far.

Danielsan

Will believe it when I see it.
Not doubting Crytek's skills to create gorgeous looking games.
I do however doubt Crytek's skills to optimize for consoles.

Sutanreyu

geeko420 said:
really?? I don't believe it.

And you shouldn't. IMO, Crytek doesn't always deliver on the hype. I mean, their engine is really great looking and all, but anything they say in regards to performance and stuff is to be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm glad though that they do see the PS3's potential and are taking the system seriously enough to really push it and be the best in terms of technology on the system. I mean, with games like Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2, I'm sure they were impressed by some of the things they pulled off and sort of went, "we want to beat that."

Greg said:
It'll hit the ceiling of terrible optimization.

:lol

lantus

I wonder why this response is only towards the PS3 version, is it because Crytek is using PS3 exclusives as the graphical bar for all console games, or what?

aeolist

Banned
Uninformed much? How many people here have actually played either Crysis game?

Even the first one ran great on hardware that wasn't extremely high-end and Warhead was extremely well-optimized. I don't see any reason why that trend wouldn't continue for this game.

aeolist said:

Even the first one ran great on hardware that wasn't extremely high-end and Warhead was extremely well-optimized. I don't see any reason why that trend wouldn't continue for this game.

It doesn't seem like many are doubting that it will continue on the PC. The PS3 is a different issue though.

I don't care how good it looks, the PS3 controller sucks donkey squash for FPSs.

Also Crysis is a PC game. Either make a new IP or keep it in the WASD family.

Gee willikers, I'm grumpy tonight.

Pooya

aeolist said:

The last level in Crysis still runs like a slideshow in DX10. Warhead is very good though.

aeolist

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It doesn't seem like many are doubting that it will continue on the PC. The PS3 is a different issue though.
The point is that an improvement over Warhead similar to the one Warhead made over Crysis bodes very well for the more limited consoles.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I'm the only one that doesn't want to play this because I haven't played the first one since it never hit to consoles? Why can't they release the first one as a budget title like 4 months before the sequel drops?

Good to hear. I've never had a nice enough computer to run this game, so I'm especially anxious to see what they've been able to do with it on PS3.

Denzar

Why is Crytek always tooting it's own horn when it comes to the PS3 version ? I haven't heard any similar statements when it comes to the 360 version ? Maybe because they have not reached the "graphical ceiling" there ?

Crytek might be able to impress on a technical level, but on a artistic level Crysis looks kinda dumb IMO.

An artistically impressive game has a WAY bigger impact than a technically impressive game. Combining the two yields the best results (DUH). And that is where Crytek has yet to succeed for me.

Then again, when an impressive game on an artistic level fails hard on the technical level...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hitting a perforamnce ceiling aint hard, just has to be unoptimized, I bet that games that are choppy and janky on consoles hit the respective graphical ceilings on them.

Put me in the sceptical camp

Will hit the ceiling for Sandbox games I bet. I'm definitely purchasing this with the amount of effort they put into the PS3 version.

Massa

Buckethead said:
I don't care how good it looks, the PS3 controller sucks donkey squash for FPSs.

Also Crysis is a PC game. Either make a new IP or keep it in the WASD family.

Gee willikers, I'm grumpy tonight.

You could play it with the Playstation Move. :lol

Sutanreyu

aeolist said:

Really well?

Even a GTX 480 has trouble breaking 30 fps @ 1920x1200 w/ 4xAA (and that should be pretty much standard).

And this is in Crysis Warhead which was supposed to be on a more "optimized" engine than a game that's now almost over 3 years old.

http://images.vizworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/02mpru.png

Original: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/03/27/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-1-5gb-review/8

I mean, it still looks pretty amazing, but not justifiably so. PC games are starting to catch up. BC2 is almost-Crysis level and runs a hell of a lot better, with AA to boot. Metro2033 looks quite good as well, and runs a lot better.

mintylurb

Deepack said:
Why is Crytek always tooting it's own horn when it comes to the PS3 version ? I haven't heard any similar statements when it comes to the 360 version ? Maybe because they have not reached the "graphical ceiling" there ?

Crytek might be able to impress on a technical level, but on a artistic level Crysis looks kinda dumb IMO.

An artistically impressive game has a WAY bigger impact than a technically impressive game. Combining the two yields the best results (DUH). And that is where Crytek has yet to succeed for me.

Then again, when an impressive game on an artistic level fails hard on the technical level...
I suspect that's because most multi-platform ps3 games don't sell nearly as well as their 360 counterparts and Crytek is trying to sell their game engine.

lowrider007 said:
That's good for you, honestly, but I have perfect vision and have been playing PC games since text adventures and I'm really not that impressed with the cryengine, I can't put my finger on it but there's just something about it that doesn't gel with me, it doesn't feel clean or solid enough at times, it's hard to explain, I know others have commented on it in the past on here, like I said before, outside of the jungle things really don't impress me graphically, I don't know what it is.

No I'm doing it all wrong :p

Look, I think every engine out there regardless of their graphical capabilities does things in a certain style usually that is unique to that particular engine, which is why if your experienced enough you can tell what engine a game is using just by looking at it, I can only surmise that I'm am not a fan of the cryengine 'style', I understand it's good graphics, and I know it set the bar, but I can't change the way I feel when I'm playing parts of the game.

EDIT -

Here, I've just booted the game up and screen grabbed a section of the game which I thought looked pretty poor, this is directx10 on enthusiast settings @ 4xaa, 1920x1200

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nh1cfm.jpg

it's mostly jungle anyway......
and that's the best of the worst you can grab? try harder man...

Sutanreyu

mintylurb said:
Deepack said:

I suspect that's because most multi-platform ps3 games don't sell nearly as well as their 360 counterparts and Crytek is trying to sell their game engine.

That and the PS3 is considered to be the technologically superior console yet difficult-to-program-for console. So saying that they've maxed it out is them sort of like them flexing their developmental muscles to the media. This also infers that their game is going to end up mind-blowingly amazing in the tech department.

Some people will actually buy the game just to see if their claims are true.

@Deepack
I think Crytek does a good job in terms of art direction. Their games' outdoor vistas aren't just to mimic reality -- they actually do a great job in setting the mood and providing "atmosphere". It doesn't have to hit you over the head like "OH MAN LOOK AT ME, I'M A SETTING" in order to make for a great art. Their suit, weapons, vehicles (not including the pickups :lol), aliens, etc. are all pretty good looking. They serve their purpose in being believable within their semi-realistic context.

AlternativeUlster said:
I'm the only one that doesn't want to play this because I haven't played the first one since it never hit to consoles? Why can't they release the first one as a budget title like 4 months before the sequel drops?

because the consoles couldn't run it properly?

oh, THAT argument again..... *sigh*....

I think i'll wait for the digital foundry comparisons before taking their word for it. Bookmarked thread for the eventual backfire heh.

falconzss

Foxix said:
Just out of curiosity how many times have we hit the graphical ceiling this gen?

if the ps3 had hit it's graphical ceiling everytime a developer said so, it would fly in outer space by now.

onken

Well it won't be hard to take the best visuals from a 3rd party crown, anyway. That still probably goes to RE5.

Sutanreyu

evil solrac v3.0 said:
because the consoles couldn't run it properly?

oh, THAT argument again..... *sigh*....

Seeing as they've ported their engine to the consoles, then really, they don't have much of an excuse NOT to port it besides lack of $$ to fund the project.

They could do this the way Valve did with The Orange Box. That'd be pretty sweet.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Who cares? The graphics will be the best ever until the next big game comes along. The real question is, will it support Move? It's time for the Wii to not be the only console with good FPS controls.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Sutanreyu said:
Really well?

Even a GTX 480 has trouble breaking 30 fps @ 1920x1200 w/ 4xAA (and that should be pretty much standard).

And this is in Crysis Warhead which was supposed to be on a more "optimized" engine than a game that's now almost over 3 years old.

http://images.vizworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/02mpru.png

Original: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/03/27/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-1-5gb-review/8

I mean, it still looks pretty amazing, but not justifiably so. PC games are starting to catch up. BC2 is almost-Crysis level and runs a hell of a lot better, with AA to boot. Metro2033 looks quite good as well, and runs a lot better.

1920x1200 w/ 4xAA is four times the resolution of a game like MGS4, its beyond the standard.

Crysis is pushing effects that no games today have matched while displaying a sand box open ended area.

Metro 2033 runs worse than Crysis considering its a corridor shooter.

Top Bottom