• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PS3 Will Hit Graphical Ceiling

Truespeed

Levels of graphical achievement (in ascension)

The Ceiling
The Attic
The Roof
The Troposphere
The Stratosphere
The Mesosphere

And Space

Razor210

I need some Killzone 2 gifs/Uncharted 2 gifs so I can remember what we're trying to compare to here.

Any Crysis 2 gifs in the house?

Truespeed

Talk about setting yourself up for failure. I would really like to be proven wrong, but I just don't think a multiplatform engine can even approach the capabilities of a custom engine that's rolled specifically for the architecture like the ND or Santa Monica engines.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Am I the only one who's concerned they'll prioritize IQ over a stable frame-rate/v-sync? Crytek have always been proud of their proprietary engine (and rightly so), but I can imagine they'd be all too keen to make some noticeable sacrifices on the performance side in a bid to claim that prestigious "best looking console game" title.

Sad thing is, it wouldn't even be like a Perfect Dark situation, where players were willing to accept these compromises out of respect for ambition of the tech; the existance of a PC version could make these deficiencies too glaring to put up with.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
As long as it isn't all brown and next-gen like GoW and God 3.

Tom Penny

Cataferal said:
Am I the only one who's concerned they'll prioritize IQ over a stable frame-rate/v-sync? Crytek have always been proud of their proprietary engine (and rightly so), but I can imagine they'd be all too keen to make some noticeable sacrifices on the performance side in a bid to claim that prestigious "best looking console game" title.

I wouldn't worry. Crysis ran phenomenal on any rig. I would expect at least that level of optimization.

jett

D-Member
Maybe the multiplatform ceiling.

Rez said:
As long as it isn't all brown and next-gen like GoW and God 3.

GOW3 is pretty colorful, then again you're known to saying stupid shit.

lowrider007 said:
Not really bothered tbh, if it's anything like the cryengine on the PC I'm really not that impressed, I recently completed Crysis Warhead again on full settings on my PC and although the game graphically speaking had some highs for the most part it looked very 'janky', messy, it's hard to explain, the jungle always impresses me in combination with the physics of the foliage but beyond that I've never been that impressed with it.

If you're not impressed by the graphical details and just how much of a fucking achievement Crysis is in terms of graphics, there's something wrong with you. Maybe you don't like the art style or something?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tom Penny said:
I wouldn't worry. Crysis ran phenomenal on any rig. I would expect at least that level of optimization.

Not out of the box it didnt. One of its patches really, really improved engine optimisation, but the first release was far from optimised.

Truespeed

Cataferal said:

Sad thing is, it wouldn't even be like a Perfect Dark situation, where players were willing to accept these compromises out of respect for ambition of the tech; the existance of a PC version could make these deficiencies too glaring to put up with.

Crytek has always said that they want to be the multiplatform engine of choice for console developers. This time they can't hide behind high end CPU's and GPU's to make their engine look good. This time they'll need to rely on code and code alone. If their platform specific engine optimizations are what they claim then perhaps were in for a possible generational jump in graphics. But, I think they'll just take the crown as the best multiplatform engine where multiplatform parity is finally achieved. They'll never overtake what ND or Santa Monica can do.

Afrikan

mujun said:
So which is it, the 360 version will look worse than the PS3 one or the 360 game will look better than Uncharted 2 on the PS3 :lol

oh man, winter 2010 can't come soon enough :lol

add to that, we'll probably have Killzone 3 footage to compare it too by then.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jett said:
Maybe the multiplatform ceiling.

well Crytek dude said " all PS3 games " but I guess he hint on PS3 exclusives ( Sony stuff ).

and maybe they can't top Alan Wake graphics so they just talking about PS3 games now.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ZephyrFate said:
I have no idea what you mean by janky. Crysis Warhead continues to blow me away every single time I see it. The amount of detail is absolutely insane.

That's good for you, honestly, but I have perfect vision and have been playing PC games since text adventures and I'm really not that impressed with the cryengine, I can't put my finger on it but there's just something about it that doesn't gel with me, it doesn't feel clean or solid enough at times, it's hard to explain, I know others have commented on it in the past on here, like I said before, outside of the jungle things really don't impress me graphically, I don't know what it is.

chixdiggit said:
Seriously? Are you sure you are doing it right?

No I'm doing it all wrong :p

Look, I think every engine out there regardless of their graphical capabilities does things in a certain style usually that is unique to that particular engine, which is why if your experienced enough you can tell what engine a game is using just by looking at it, I can only surmise that I'm am not a fan of the cryengine 'style', I understand it's good graphics, and I know it set the bar, but I can't change the way I feel when I'm playing parts of the game.

EDIT -

Here, I've just booted the game up and screen grabbed a section of the game which I thought looked pretty poor, this is directx10 on enthusiast settings @ 4xaa, 1920x1200

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nh1cfm.jpg

Shapingo

Totobeni said:
well Crytek dude said " all PS3 games " but I guess he hint on PS3 exclusives ( Sony stuff ).

and maybe they can't top Alan Wake graphics so they just talking about PS3 games now.

You sly devil...............

grumble

BREAKING NEWS: Software company says its software is 'totally awesome and the best thing ever'.

It could be wicked, but a good looking game is determined more by artistic direction than by technical prowess in my opinion.

Replicant said:
Get ready for the money shot:

30idj4x.jpg

something is wrong with his body strucutre

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
grumble said:
BREAKING NEWS: Software company says its software is 'totally awesome and the best thing ever'.

It could be wicked, but a good looking game is determined more by artistic direction than by technical prowess in my opinion.
Even better for Crytek.

Also Crysis 2 will have colors in it. Pretty sure.

ps3 has a theoretically higher limit to it's graphical abilities, due to devs using the extra cell cores as a 2nd GPU.. that's what gives GoW3 its impressive post-processing effects. Crytek have constantly pushed the limits of PC tech so I don't doubt that they have something very impressive in store for whatever console they set their sights on.

They've been planning this for a while. Crytek had a dedicated PS3 team working on "secret technologies" since at least summer of 2007. Even though Crysis 2 is multiplatform, I think the PS3 version will be using the SPEs, and could prove to be real competition for the other graphics powerhouses like UC2 and GoW3.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Death Dealer said:
They've been planning this for a while. Crytek had a dedicated PS3 team working on "secret technologies" since at least summer of 2007. Even though Crysis 2 is multiplatform, I think the PS3 version will be using the SPEs, and could prove to be real competition for the other graphics powerhouses like UC2 and GoW3.
If this is true are they doing separate work on it?

Because the footage of CryEngine 3 running on PC,360, and PS3 at the same time with their super magical fairy dust didn't look as good on PS3. (Lighting and physics update time)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Death Dealer said:
I didn't know they had that much dedicated development for it. I wonder if they'll be able to get something like GoW3's MLAA in there. Probably not, but it would be awesome. Good SPE usage can go a long way.

Dreohboy

Death Dealer said:

Well, PS3 owners can "hope" that a third party developer will use the SPE's to enhance the visuals in their title...but I think we all need to wait and see first.

I'm probably going to save $10 and get the PC version anyway.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Dreohboy said:
Well, PS3 owners can "hope" that a third party developer will use the SPE's to enhance the visuals in their title...but I think we all need to wait and see first.

I'm probably going to save $10 and get the PC version anyway.

i wish i could do this. efing laptop.

People are this skeptical of Crytek?

Why should it matter if it's a multiplatform game? The PC version will certainly look better than anything on consoles, it's not as if the other two versions are holding it back. The PS3 version should be no different if Cryengine 3 is all it's cracked up to be.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
People are this skeptical of Crytek?

Why should it matter if it's a multiplatform game? The PC version will certainly look better than anything on consoles, it's not as if the other two versions are holding it back. The PS3 version should be no different if Cryengine 3 is all it's cracked up to be.
Didn't you know? Crysis is janky.

Top Bottom