• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis: "Remastered" for PS3/Xbox360 confirmed [£16.99 / 1600MS]

Salsa

Medalion said:
Before it was like these systems couldn't run Crysis, now all of a sudden they can?

are you suggesting that development for a console doesnt get better over its lifespan?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
bsb said:
Is mastering actually a term for a process in video game production? In music production, it's the final step where you set volume levels, EQ settings, track order, etc. So when an album has been remastered, something about that those final steps is changed. Does remastering actually mean something specific here, or is this just redefining a word for marketing purposes?
Just marketing.

Trailer says "all new lighting" and "new suit modes".

delta25

Banned
Bu bu But I thought this wasn't possible.

If ya ask me minus the resolution and AA/AF that looked damn well near equivalent to Crysis PC running maxed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, ether Crytech has optimized their engine over the past few year a lot, or they are going to really cut back on graphical features in the console version. If it is engine improvements, I hope they release a patch for the PC version.

Not bad at all. Hell, it will probably perform better than the PC version did on my fairly decent PC rig. Lower res and little AA, but probably more consistent.

IceMarker

I'll never see a truly AAA PC-exclusive title again in my lifetime.

I could say Diablo 3, Torchlight II, and DOTA 2, but who knows if those will go console in 3 years.

tci

Meisadragon said:
I wonder what they did to make it run on the consoles.
You can see a lot of downgrades on explosions in the trailer. In addidiotion to textures. But it looks impressive none the less. But kinda hard to notice due to them hiding it with a lot of small clips.

scitek

bsb said:
Is mastering actually a term for a process in video game production? In music production, it's the final step where you set volume levels, EQ settings, track order, etc. So when an album has been remastered, something about that those final steps is changed. Does remastering actually mean something specific here, or is this just redefining a word for marketing purposes?

It has to have been scaled back in SOME way from the PC version, as it wouldn't run in its original iteration on consoles. I think remastering is an accurate enough term to use here.

NBtoaster

SalsaShark said:
They should just offer the first half of the game as a downloadable title and then the game just ends before going completely shitty.

The second half has some of the best moments.

Salacious Crumb

Drkirby said:
I guess the Crysis 2 sales must of been good. A bit funny to see a game touted for years as a PC benchmark getting a console port.

If it's possible, why not do it? Not doing it would be as stupid as Rockstar not porting RDR to PC.... oh wait.. :(

Thoraxes

So it's probably done on the Crysis 2 engine if it's on consoles, right?
Or is this an actual retooling of the first on the old one?

LQX

Great for those that do their gaming on consoles. Seems lost on some not everyone is a PC gamer so even a game like Crysis a few years old will still be new to them even if not on par with how many of us can run it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Salacious Crumb said:
If it's possible, why not do it? Not doing it would be as stupid as Rockstar not porting RDR to PC.... oh wait.. :(
The question is, if they could do it, why did they wait 4 years?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Finally, that looked dope. Annnnd the list of PC games I wanted on consoles is complete.

Medalion

Banned
SalsaShark said:
are you suggesting that development for a console doesnt get better over its lifespan?
If this was the case why bother making new consoles if you can eventually just "figure out" a way to bring a technologically challenging piece of software from the PC to a console that is quite inferior spec wise

NBtoaster

mr stroke said:
+1

This doesn't make any sense. How the hell are they going to remaster a game that can't be maxed on a 7800GT(Xbox360 equivalent card AFAIK)

That's the PS3's card, the 360s is better.

The question is not whether it can run on a 7800GT or Radeon X1900, but whether it can run on a 7800GT aided with 6 SPUs or a X1900 with 10MB eDRAM, unified shaders, and a tesselation unit. Something that seems to have been answered :p

Bazhard

Banned
ill pick it up on PS3 when it releases.

im sure pc tards will go on how its superior on the master platform blah blah blah

Drkirby said:
The question is, if they could do it, why did they wait 4 years?
because crysis 2 sold well (on consoles) and was critically loved? crysis 1 was a bland mediocre shooter that probably would of completely flopped on consoles 4 years ago.

now that 2 released and is established with console gamers, gamers who loved/liked the 2nd one will be curious to play the first.

Grayman

"now that'd i'd like to see"

Heh, crosshairs.

Meisadragon said:
I did not think it would be possible. Using nice looking custom config and mod style lighting might be covering up downsizing in other areas. Also they are looking at 2007 graphics, on 2005 hardware, but "coded to the metal" with 6 years experience.

They may be going nuts with streaming tech or have divided up the game a lot more than the base one into much smaller maps.

Grinchy

Banned
bangai-o said:
any updates on the PS3 version?
I'm wondering the same thing. Seeing the 360 version looking this damn nice gives some hope for the PS3 version. Though, it could just mean that the bulk of their efforts have gone to the 360 version and the PS3 version isn't worth showing. Hopefully that's not the case.

Xenon

Give me a demo where I can run around in the jungle, kill some enemies, and look at the pretty graphics. That will be all I need.

Withnail

Meisadragon said:

The gameplay now purely consists of quick time events.

Seriously though the most impressive thing at this point is that apparently nobody even knew this was happening
apart from Surfer Girl
, and it's out in a few weeks.

I think this could be a big seller, particularly on 360.

bhlaab

If this was possible all along why did Crysis 2 have such small, narrow levels? Are you telling me they actually did that intentionally??

Salacious Crumb said:

In Rockstar's case GTA4 has proven that it apparently is NOT possible for them

Doesn't look too great, maybe i've just been too spoiled by the game on PC. Framerate is dodgy, looks blurry (probably sub-HD like C2), new lighting is nothing that can't be accomplished with TOD mods or Xzero shaders.

antonz

Withnail said:
The gameplay now purely consists of quick time events.

Seriously though the most impressive thing at this point is that apparently nobody even knew this was happening
apart from Surfer Girl
, and it's out in a few weeks.

I think this could be a big seller, particularly on 360.
Doubtful. Crysis 2 didnt set the world on fire. If anything this is probably meaning made as a quick way to tyr and recover costs

Mastperf

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Doesn't look too great, maybe i've just been too spoiled by the game on PC. Framerate is dodgy, looks blurry (probably sub-HD like C2), new lighting is nothing that can't be accomplished with TOD mods or Xzero shaders.
You show those consoles.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Grayman said:
I did not think it would be possible. Using nice looking custom config and mod style lighting might be covering up downsizing in other areas. Also they are looking at 2007 graphics, on 2005 hardware, but "coded to the metal" with 6 years experience.

They may be going nuts with streaming tech or have divided up the game a lot more than the base one into much smaller maps.

The draw distance might be lowered a lot, with less enemy density and weaker AI @720p (hopefully). Crytek are wizards after all.

onQ123

" Official Recommended System Requirements

OS – Windows XP / Vista
Processor – Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory – 2.0 GB RAM
GPU – NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar "

now just think what devs can do with a console with the same specs as the high end gaming PC that we have now.

Kibbles

Angelus Errare said:
So is that actually the 360 version....or the PC version with 360 controller prompts?
"ALL FOOTAGE FROM THE 360 VERSION" on the bottom wasn't enough for you?

I NEED SCISSORS said:

UxYNF.png

It won't be the PC version, but I'm impressed they have it running at all.

zlatko

Banned
This is some weird ass shit. Why in the fuck didn't they do this BEFORE Crysis 2? Why in the hell are they announcing this a month before release?

Fucking idiotic.

cgcg

Angelus Errare said:
So is that actually the 360 version....or the PC version with 360 controller prompts?

This is Crytek what do you think? Guaranteed it's PC running with *console* specs lol.

Q8D3vil

man, watching this trailer made me remember how sick the physics and the freedom was in crysis 1 compared to crysis 2.

x3sphere

I NEED SCISSORS said:

It looks leagues ahead of anything else on consoles. And honestly, to Crysis vanilla it actually looks pretty comparable - minus the lower res of course. Which is incredible.

Top Bottom