• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Bearers E3 Trailer

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Justin Bailey said:
Yeah but you need the DS game or something to play it on the Wii? I wish they'd just make another SoM style local game. Thanks for the info though.
No, you only need the Wii version but bear in mind it's the exact same game as the DS one.

The DS is where it's at for CC multiplayer these days. They don't seem too interested in making a multiplayer focused one from the ground up on the Wii for now.

Fuu said:
No, you only need the Wii version but bear in mind it's the exact same game as the DS one.
You do need the DS version to play multiplayer for that game, no? There's no Wii-only multiplayer IIRC.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Fuu said:
Ok, so if I just get the Wii version myself and someone else can play multiplayer locally? I seriously have tried reading up on it and I can't find an answer to that simple question.

Fuu

darkhunger said:
You do need the DS version to play multiplayer for that game, no? There's no Wii-only multiplayer IIRC.
Wow, I didn't know that. I only messed with the DS version, I thought the Wii one would have forced separate screens or something, online info is so vague about that one.

Justin Bailey said:
Ok, so if I just get the Wii version myself and someone else can play multiplayer locally? I seriously have tried reading up on it and I can't find an answer to that simple question.
I assumed wrongly because of lack of info too. Looks like you can't play it locally on the same Wii, you can only link it to the DS version.

Fuu

Japanese site was updated.

http://www.crystalbearers.jp/

Bell was added to the characters section and there's a "world" section now with a map and a bunch of videos. Watching them now.

4gs1t3.png

ioddlh.jpg

34i62pi.jpg

f3rimw.jpg

Penguin

Fuu said:

Bell was added to the characters section and there's a "world" section now with a map and a bunch of videos. Watching them now.

You're on top of this all aren't you? :lol

So help me navigate the page, which one is the world section or is there just a word that says world and I will feel like a dum dum?

Fuu

It's the last one. If you keep your mouse over the sections they appear in English instead of moonspeak. :)

Penguin

Fuu said:
It's the last one. If you keep your mouse over the sections they appear in English instead of moonspeak. :)

Haha thanks.
Argh not fair, I want the music off while navigate, but if you turn off sound.. none during the videos. :lol

Fuu

Ok, some of the videos are the random ones we got from the NA site. Since I apparently have nothing better to do I've marked which ones are new:

izrn0i.png

The new ones are cutscenes with the Japanese VA, except one (chocobo sequence).

Cool of them to set the videos where they actually happen. There are darkened locations that they'll probably add later but I don't know what difference they'll make since the city is already there but it's not clickable or anything.

ivysaur12

Banned
How does the map compare to the one from FF:CC, if at all?

And the way Bell's hair animates is kinda weird. Her name is also very un-Selkie like.

Fuu

ivysaur12 said:
How does the map compare to the one from FF:CC, if at all?

And the way Bell's hair animates is kinda weird. Her name is also very un-Selkie like.
Bell's name being un-Selkie is probably a nickname or due to the fact that the game takes place a 1000 years after the original. The tribes are more "modernized" so I'd guess some old conventions may be fading away.

Good call on the map, now I feel like comparing it to the ones in the other CC games. Although these maps always have clouds and mountains on the borders so they can easily create different areas in the same world. :p

-Kh-

Banned
batbeg said:
Why aren't more people hyped about this?! :(

Man I'm really hyped about this game (same about XIII) but XIV has made it for me, so currently everything else is completely in another level. However I'll make sure to get a Wii Kuro and the game on day 1 (I had sold my old Wii).

Fuu said:

Fuu could you link me to more hi-res character art like that one please?

Fuu

-Kh- said:
Fuu could you link me to more hi-res character art like that one please?
I usually rip those from the official sites for personal use but Nintendo's press site for E3 currently has a zip with BIG artwork (around 3500x5000 each) for all characters on the NA site so far (meaning no Keiss and Bell. Racists!), along another large one with the Layle artwork from my avatar.

Here, on the third party section: http://E32009:nintendo@press.nintendo.com/E32009/

And here are the other two. They're not a big as the ones in the press site, unfortunately:

-Keiss
-Bell (bigger than the one above, I resized it for the thread)

ivysaur12

Banned
Also, do we have any idea who the identities of the VAs are for any of the characters? I know that we have gotten Lightning's now.

Fuu

ivysaur12 said:
Also, do we have any idea who the identities of the VAs are for any of the characters? I know that we have gotten Lightning's now.
I remember people recognizing Noriaki Sugiyama as the Japanese voice of Keiss when the prologue was released but I don't know if there were any more guesses.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
God that piece of music on the website is soooooo good. It's so not Final Fantasy-esque and then it hits you with that tune in the middle.

http://wii.rpgsite.net/articles/155/113.html

My interview with the director. He's a really nice guy, and while it isn't in this cut of the interview we had quite a lengthy discussion about FF9 as when that game comes up I told him its my favorite FF. Sadly the translator was struggling with my thick English accent so a lot of stuff got lost in translation, but it still went pretty well.

One of the things that was a bit lost in translation is it sounded like he may have been teasing for FF9 character cameos, though it never really came through if he was talking about other CC universe characters or indeed teasing for FF9. I would've pushed further on it, but I was pressed for time.

The game is great fun and I'm also working on a full preview.

Fuu

Thanks a lot, APZonerunner, reading it now. Good job, make sure to tell us when you get the preview ready.

APZonerunner said:
One of the things that was a bit lost in translation is it sounded like he may have been teasing for FF9 character cameos, though it never really came through if he was talking about other CC universe characters or indeed teasing for FF9. I would've pushed further on it, but I was pressed for time.
Omg.

Penguin

Fuu said:
Thanks a lot, APZonerunner, reading it now. Good job, make sure to tell us when you get the preview ready.

Omg.

You know I always thought you lived across the pond... so are you up late or am I mistaken?

And I'm kind of sadden by some of the impressions of this coming out of e3, but yeah I think RPGs are terrible things to demo. FF 13 at MS conf looked so awful.

Fuu

Very nice questions there, Alex (Alex=APZonerunner, right?). Great interview.

That was a pretty good approach by Itahana and the team, pointer and motion being faced as optional then deciding to use them when they seemed fit, nothing forced. Also excellent news that they worked on minimizing load times.

We wanted it to be distinct – we didn’t want characters to be like signs to give the player information.

Loved the cheap shot at how some RPGs usually work with NPCs. :lol

[laughs] No, if that’s how it worked everyone in the town would dislike you!

:lol

And nice bit about some of the items backfiring, can't wait to see this sort of thing happening.

The team of this game has many staff members who worked on FF9, and you can also expect to see some familiar faces and elements.
There are some characters who will be just cameos and some who will have larger roles in the game including characters from past Crystal Chronicles titles.

Really sounds like he's talking about cameos... We can count on Stiltzkin to almost certainly appear, he's been in every CC game and had his origins in FFIX. Maybe he's talking about him but we'll have to wait and see what other elements are those.

you can ride a chocobo, shoot, fly, run away from monsters, or even enjoy social dancing.
cant.wait.

Penguin said:
You know I always thought you lived across the pond... so are you up late or am I mistaken?

And I'm kind of sadden by some of the impressions of this coming out of e3, but yeah I think RPGs are terrible things to demo. FF 13 at MS conf looked so awful.
It's 22:43 here, not really late. :)

What impressions are you referring to? The Gamespot and Destructoid ones were the most negative I read but IGN and all of the player impressions here on GAF were very positive. Looks like the demo really scared most people for being cutscene heavy though (by the way, anyone knows if they are skippable?).

Cool! Glad to find this thread again.

I played this on the floor and I'm happy to say that I'm actually pretty excited for the full game based on my hands-on time with it.

Now, let me say straight off that I'm somebody who is pretty damn tired of JRPGs. For me, the cultural divide has just gotten stale for me... it's not exotic anymore, it's just retarded. When I see a shy/demure female character holding her hands over her chest and looking down, maybe saying the protagonists name or just "..." it drives me nuts and I turn off the game. In Japanese culture these characters might make sense. In American/western culture they're emotionally retarded individuals who can't communicate effectively at all.

That said, I found this game to be refreshing, kind of a mix of Zelda and Skies of Arcadia. The main character seems confident and his voice acting is decent, and his lines haven't made me groan or roll my eyes yet. The female photographer doesn't fit the typical shy staff-wielding mage prototype yet either.

Sure, there's a chance that the characters could regress into these forms. However, for now I've got a brash youth who is confident and looking for adventure (a little like Vyse I suppose). You've got action sequences, shooting and flying, flight sequences, and shaking down rich people for money and then throwing them over balconies.

Maybe it's a sad thing, but let's just say I was very pleasantly surprised by the game and how it felt to play it, and I'll be keeping my eye on it as it nears release. There's a good chance I get it, if I hear that the story holds up in any regard.

batbeg

Itahana said:
Toshiyuki Itahana: It is our very first Final Fantasy title for Wii – it will be a new experience, and we hope you will all enjoy it!

Itahana just did a sick burn on My Life as a King, My Life as a Darklord, Echoes of Time, and Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. Hates Final Fantasy and huge ego am confirmed.

In all honesty I love how honest he seems to be coming across. He isn't promising this to be the most awesome shit, he isn't saying it's bigger and badder than ever, but that it's just a fun piece of software that they've worked really hard on.

I too imagine Stiltzkin is going to be the cameo, and not much else. Honestly though, when you first encounter Stiltzkin in FFCC in the training area, it's just so amazing. I loved seeing him throughout the game so much, and of course the art styles similarity to FFIX just cemented that feeling, so it might be kind of weird seeing it in this more matured style :lol

I would go insane if Zidane showed up, though, or any other kind of cameo from FFIX, be it person, location, another enemy, or even music.

Make it happen Itahana, and I will buy two copies!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
timetokill said:

I played this on the floor and I'm happy to say that I'm actually pretty excited for the full game based on my hands-on time with it.

Now, let me say straight off that I'm somebody who is pretty damn tired of JRPGs. For me, the cultural divide has just gotten stale for me... it's not exotic anymore, it's just retarded. When I see a shy/demure female character holding her hands over her chest and looking down, maybe saying the protagonists name or just "..." it drives me nuts and I turn off the game. In Japanese culture these characters might make sense. In American/western culture they're emotionally retarded individuals who can't communicate effectively at all.

That said, I found this game to be refreshing, kind of a mix of Zelda and Skies of Arcadia. The main character seems confident and his voice acting is decent, and his lines haven't made me groan or roll my eyes yet. The female photographer doesn't fit the typical shy staff-wielding mage prototype yet either.

Sure, there's a chance that the characters could regress into these forms. However, for now I've got a brash youth who is confident and looking for adventure (a little like Vyse I suppose). You've got action sequences, shooting and flying, flight sequences, and shaking down rich people for money and then throwing them over balconies.

Maybe it's a sad thing, but let's just say I was very pleasantly surprised by the game and how it felt to play it, and I'll be keeping my eye on it as it nears release. There's a good chance I get it, if I hear that the story holds up in any regard.

I like the cut of your jib. Jibs.. jib.

Fuu

timetokill said:

I also hope the characters stay fresh during the entire game as I also grow tired of the cliches and bad archetypes that populate the genre. I used to tolerate them much more in the past.

batbeg said:
Itahana just did a sick burn on My Life as a King, My Life as a Darklord, Echoes of Time, and Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. Hates Final Fantasy and huge ego am confirmed.

In all honesty I love how honest he seems to be coming across. He isn't promising this to be the most awesome shit, he isn't saying it's bigger and badder than ever, but that it's just a fun piece of software that they've worked really hard on.
Haha, maybe he meant "first Final Fantasy title for Wii" in the sense that they aimed to make this game similar to the main FF series instead of a pure CC game? I mean, he even mentions some of the other games in the interview. :lol

Agreed on the honesty feel, I like how down to earth he seems to be.

Penguin

Fuu said:
It's 22:43 here, not really late. :)

What impressions are you referring to? The Gamespot and Destructoid ones were the most negative I read but IGN and all of the player impressions here on GAF were very positive. Looks like the demo really scared most people for being cutscene heavy though (by the way, anyone knows if they are skippable?).

I was listening to Nintendo World Report podcast and they were really down on the game.
Saying it was ugly and a lot of anti-alias, and wasn't fun to play.

nyong

Banned
That might be the worst voice acting I have heard in a game this generation. Egad.

I'm still interested in the game, however.

Fuu

Penguin said:
I was listening to Nintendo World Report podcast and they were really down on the game.
Saying it was ugly and a lot of anti-alias, and wasn't fun to play.
I see. It's a bit bizarre actually, what I see are people being very surprised by how unexpectedly fun was their hands on with the game or going the opposite way by downplaying it. I've seen completely opposite opinions on the graphics, gameplay, voice acting...

Oh well, I for one know am more hyped than ever (as this thread shows, lol) and the game looks to be shaping up into exactly what I want.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
nyong said:
That might be the worst voice acting I have heard in a game this generation. Egad.

What? I mean, it's not fantastic or anything... but the worst? I don't think so...

MechaX

nyong said:

You haven't played Star Ocean 4, have you?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Zoramon089 said:
I think some people are confusing bad VAing with bad dialogue...there's nothing wrong with the VAing in the game
Yeah, this could be it. There are some really bad lines.

Like how everyone has to say "Crystal Bearer" :D

Combine

Banned
timetokill said:
Wow, I really need to copy/paste this for future threads because this so succinctly sums up why I too have become tired of JRPG's. The cultural divide with how the characters act has just become too much as you so well put it. This is why I prefer Western RPG's so much more now (not even especially from NA, with stuff like The Witcher) as I can relate so much more to the characters than I can with those that are portrayed in JRPG's.

And that said, I still am actually looking forward to Crystal Bearers because as it stands now, it does look like a breath of fresh air.

EDarkness

timetokill said:

I totally agree with you. Which is why this game really struck a chord with me. Looking forward to trying it out and I hope they keep the main character badass all the way through, because it does feel like a breath of fresh air. If this works, I wonder if it will cause other developers to rethink how they model their main character's personality.

Oh, and the new videos look awesome. Looks like this should be fun and I love the graphics, no idea why people are complaining about that.

vareon

Looking the characters section really pleased me.

Instead of finding the usual emo teenager main character, we find a badass teenager who begins the game (demo, at least) by freefalling from the sky, force pulled a machine gun and shoots dragons. Instead of finding a pretty haired human main villain, we find a nonhuman character with...no hair at all. The heroine looks different from the typical shy,lovey-dovey heroine, too.

This has the chance of being SE's freshest game this gen.

Fuu

He says he wanted to do a game like this since ten years ago when he first saw GTA. "We will have to creat a Final Fantasy in this type of game world".

EDarkness

JDSN said:
New Producer interview.
-Inspired by GTA.
-It wasnt using Wii functionality at the beginning of the development.
-More casual.
-You can customize the protagonist.
-Sequels planned.

<sigh> Just so tired of this "casual" stuff. Just make the game you want to make. Parents and grandmothers won't be playing this game unless they're "core" gamers.

Not to be a downer, the rest of the interview is encouraging and I'm still picking this up, but I'll admit I'm not as excited as I was. I can't shake this feeling that the game will be too easy and simple. Makes me wonder if other people are feeling that way since it's hype level seems to have gone down dramatically in recent days. :(

Fuu

It's the obligatory PR talk when involving the Wii though. Also, the main Final Fantasy series hasn't been "hardcore" for years.

The hype level for this has never been dramatically high either imo. :p Also, this thread is "old" now. Just like the one with the website updates, even if there's more news people don't comment anymore.

Top Bottom