• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek: PC Market Can Not Support Large/Expensive Games By Itself, Consoles Needed

tok

Neo Member
spazzfish said:
I don't understand this:

"We could not have created a game with the scope, scale, and multiplayer features of Crysis 2 if it were a PC-only title,"

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but is he implying that if Crysis 2 was PC only then it would be even more dumbed down? How the heck does that work out?

I had better go and get more caffine or something, that quote has hurt my head.

He means they wouldn't be able to do that and make money on it.

Mr_Brit

Banned
markao said:
old topic posted already

But a less sensational "The Making of Crysis 2 - DF interview" title that actually covers the whole interview is not good enough for modern GAF anymore.

What happened to you GAF, you used to be cool :(
Completely different topics, this is about Crytek's comments on PC exclusive viability, that is a post release analysis of the tech behind Crysis 2.

Saty

It's more that most publishers won't green-light a $50M budget game that targets only one platform, PC or otherwise.

I'm fine if developers want to expand but why is it almost always the case that it happens on the expense of the PC version? I'm not even talking about gameplay and setting but basic stuff like options to configure.

Secondly, when we do have PC exclusives (big and low budgets) they seem to do well enough. And as many of you already mentioned, Crytek itself took the risk\initiative and made Crysis 1 which turned out to be very successful. They have overcame that obstacle of doing a high-end PC exclusive and netted great sales. Crytek was in the best position to build on that and increase their profits.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
abstract alien said:
You can't throw out Diablo 3 as if its the norm. In the realm of PC gaming, Blizzard is not the norm for business it would seem.
Maybe it should be. Maybe Blizzard doesn't just magically succeed for no apparent reason. Maybe developers should take lessons from Blizzard (and Valve) so that they can succeed in the PC market too.

Dennis

Banned
Cervat Yerli: "You cannot be a very large, rich and influential developer on PC alone"

I think the issue here is that he wants to make huge blockbuster type games and have CryTek be a very big name developer. And that is indeed very difficult for a PC-only developer. The only once that sorta can do this are Blizzard and Valve.

spazzfish

tok said:
He means they wouldn't be able to do that and make money on it.

Right, but wasn't the original Crysis bigger in scope, but still profitable?

markao said:
scale as in budget, EA is now willing to give a PC only dev 30/60 million for a game.

Ah ok so If this was PC only would the budget have been less for the sequel than the original?

StuBurns

Banned
Chairman Yang said:
Maybe it should be. Maybe Blizzard doesn't just magically succeed for no apparent reason. Maybe developers should take lessons from Blizzard (and Valve) so that they can succeed in the PC market too.
Use time machines to be integrated into the long term mindset of the PC audience so they can run the most successful MMO and digital gaming distribution network in the world that affords them endless freedom from financial concerns? Good advice.

DennisK4 said:
Cervat Yerli: "You cannot be a very large, rich and influential developer on PC alone"

I think the issue here is that he wants to make huge blockbuster type games and have CryTek be a very big name developer. And that is indeed very difficult for a PC-only developer. The only once that sorta can do this are Blizzard and Valve.
and Valve arguably aren't doing it anymore (even though they could).

obviously Valve are still doing a lot right, and i'm sure portal 2 is going to feel more like a PC exclusive than Crysis 2 did, but neither actually are PC exclusive.

Crytek made a fraction of the money on Crysis that they'll have made on Crysis 2, i'd bet, and furthermore their tech is going to be much more desirable to licensees now that it is multiplatform (and elegantly so).

wrowa

Crytek seems to have forgotten what made Crysis 1 successful in the first place.

Crysis 1 sold so well because it was a graphical showcase. People who bought a new PC also bought a copy of Crysis in order to see what their PC was capable of - even though there might be better games to prove the power of a new PC. "My PC is able to run Crysis" has become some kind of an universally accepted benchmark.

Well, and what is Crysis 2? It's neither the best-looking console game nor the best-looking PC game. It's just a shooter with great graphics and a generic design.

Dennis

Banned
wrowa said:
Well, and what is Crysis 2? It's neither the best-looking console game nor the best-looking PC game. It's just a shooter with great graphics and a generic design.
What is the best looking PC game then?

Personal visual design preferences aside, I don't see any games better looking than Crysis 2.

Sure you can mod Crysis to look better than vanilla Crysis 2 but that don't count.

Draft

StuBurns said:
Use time machines to be integrated into the long term mindset of the PC audience so they can run the most successful MMO and digital gaming distribution network in the world that affords them endless freedom from financial concerns? Good advice.
Blizzard and Valve succeed because they had success in the past? Loser talk. They succeed because they consistently deliver best in genre games and services.

wrowa said:
Crytek seems to have forgotten what made Crysis 1 successful in the first place.
oh really.

Crysis 1 sold so well because it was a graphical showcase. People who bought a new PC also bought a copy of Crysis in order to see what their PC was capable of - even though there might be better games to prove the power of a new PC. "My PC is able to run Crysis" has become some kind of an universally accepted benchmark.
maybe there have been 'better games to prove the power of a new PC' since Metro came out, but prior to that Crysis was not only the best looking PC game, but also the best PLAYING pc game.

people that haven't really played Crysis always seem to overlook that Crysis was equally praised for its gameplay as it was its visuals.

generic design? again Crysis 2 may not be as open as Crysis was, but it's far from being 'generic'. and Crysis 2 is also a shooter that plays great.

so Crysis 2 is 'just' a great playing, great looking shooter that runs well on a much wider spectrum of gaming PCs than the original did when it came out.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
StuBurns said:
Or they could create their own lucrative space in the PC market by doing something different, and doing it intelligently.

Blizzard and Valve didn't succeed by accident (even if the degree of success they achieved was surprising for them). They focused on perceived quality even at the expense of immediate profits, they built up tons of goodwill and carefully managed the value of their brands, and in general they thought long-term. There were other MMOs and digital distribution networks. There are good reasons why Blizzard and Valve became dominant, and not the others. Crytek should look at those underlying reasons and learn from them. No, they can't capture the same markets that Blizzard and Valve did. But there are other markets to capture, and other markets yet to be created.

StuBurns

Banned
Draft said:
Blizzard and Valve succeed because they had success in the past? Loser talk. They succeed because they consistently deliver best in genre games and services.
Name a PC developer that's approaching that who've launched in the last ten years?

I'm not saying they aren't still awesome, but to just say "Blizzard did it, Crytek can" is ridiculous. There's no evidence that it's true at all. The market and development is completely different now. When a game took six guys a year to make, and sold two million copies, anyone had a chance of being independent and growing into huge companies that can do as they please. Now if you want to compete with top line titles you need thirty million dollars, that has to come from somewhere, and unless you own WoW or Steam, that somewhere is a publisher, and a publisher is going to want more than "Blizzard make PC only games, we'll be fine, cut us a check".

sn00zer

Man I love how people are hating so hard on Crysis 2.....shit guys, its the best looking game to date (could've looked better DX11 lol) one of the best SP FPS campaigns since the first Crysis and the game was multiplatform to boot
I swear people act like spoiled kids when their franchise doesn't look exactly like whatever they scribble in their notebooks during class
And you really think a game that is as good looking as Crysis 2 is cheap to make...HAHA...seriously how anyone could think that a game like Crysis 2 would make just as much money as it did being a PC exclusive that would have cost more to make is beyond me

Mr_Brit

Banned
Draft said:
Valve succeded due to Steam, Blizzard succeded due to WoW. Without these two things they wouldn't be the powerhouses in the gaming industry that they are. Just look at how often Blizzard and Valve release their games, they can take as much time as they like due to income coming from WoW and Steam.

Enosh

well if it is consoles I have to thank for getting one of the best FPS games instead of a tech demo with average gameplay then so be it, warhead was great through

thank you consoles ^_^

DennisK4 said:
Sure you can mod Crysis to look better than vanilla Crysis 2 but that don't count.

Creating an autoexec for Crysis 1 won't count because it's a 'mod', but creating one for Crysis 2 does?

Besides, considering mods are being prevented by Crytek for Crysis 2, they should count.

"The PC market just does not support that cost of development, but going multi-platform does."

Wouldn't most of their budget for Crysis 2 have come from PC exclusive games?

szaromir

Banned
StuBurns said:
Name a PC developer that's approaching that who've launched in the last ten years?

I'm not saying they aren't still awesome, but to just say "Blizzard did it, Crytek can" is ridiculous. There's no evidence that it's true at all. The market and development is completely different now. When a game took six guys a year to make, and sold two million copies, anyone had a chance of being independent and growing into huge companies that can do as they please. Now if you want to compete with top line titles you need thirty million dollars, that has to come from somewhere, and unless you own WoW or Steam, that somewhere is a publisher, and a publisher is going to want more than "Blizzard make PC only games, we'll be fine, cut us a check".
There's a lot of successful companies in the PC gaming space, even if none of them to the degree of Valve/Blizzard. Look at the expansion of Paradox or C1. Yes, they don't make AAA games or don't sell 20M copies with each game, but they aren't foolishly leaving their roots fot the Call of Duty crowd.

I think he's right to a point. If you're going to create a FPS and you like money, you probably should put it on a console. It's where the market is.

I just started playing through Crysis 2 on pc this morning and am really enjoying it so far. It feels more like the original Crysis than I expected. Granted, it's more linear and scripted but the moment to moment action is very similar.

In regards to Blizzard and Valve being the last bastions of traditional PC gaming, Valve is a multi-platform developer with a fantastic digital download store and Blizzard's next game will more than likely release a game on console. Despite the PC being their primary platform, they're still designing games with consoles in mind.

I have a solid gaming pc, loved Crysis, and buy pc games regularly. I didn't buy Crysis 2 yet because they didn't finish the pc version.

Devs need to understand there is nothing wrong with PC. You can survive with PC-only games.

You can't survive if you pump millions of dollars in a great looking game with mediocre content.

The PC market is changing. The devs need to adapt. They commit suicide if they keep doing the same thing over and over again.

Instead of looking at the PC community, and trying to understand what we want. They focus on the console community and make what they want. (Great graphics, easy gameplay) and then port to PC for extra bucks.

The main difference between console games and PC games is that console games with a learning curve tend to be unsuccessful, where PC gamers crave for games with a challenge, where you need to read the manual before you can do anything...

But those kind of games are nowhere to be found these days, and then Crytek complains they can't survive with PC only.

StuBurns

Banned
szaromir said:
There's a lot of successful companies in the PC gaming space, even if none of them to the degree of Valve/Blizzard. Look at the expansion of Paradox or C1. Yes, they don't make AAA games or don't sell 20M copies with each game, but they aren't foolishly leaving their roots fot the Call of Duty crowd.
That's completely true, but it assumes that Crytek would rather compromise the type of game they make than the platforms they make it on, which is clearly not the case.

Crysis 2 could have been PC exclusive, there is no question about that, maybe they couldn't have spent as much on it, but they wanted to make something else, that's their decision. If I think it's a good one or not is a totally different question. The issue was if they could get the Crysis 2 budget to make a PC exclusive, I believe them, I doubt they could.

Absolutely agree. Some games are exceptions - yes, throw Blizzard around - but 95% of AAA games released today wouldn't get made if the console market didn't exist.

Haunted

Stumpokapow said:
but crysis 1 had a larger scope and scale than crysis 2, and it was pc exclusive, and it was evidently popular and profitable enough to help crytek massively massively expand over the years.
You'd think such a massive and easily spotted contradiction would keep them from saying this, but apparently not.

Spouting the new company line even if it defies logic or common knowledge, the way of the corporate world.

Dennis

Banned
szaromir said:
But Cervat Yerli wants to be a big shot games developer.

Wthermans

Banned
MrHicks said:
witcher probably doesnt fall into the "expensive" game category
atleast when compared to AAA console budgets
And that's the entire problem. It's bad for the industry for publishers and devs to constantly chase after this "holy grail" of development.

Also, it's entirely possible to have a huge budget on a title and be PC exclusive, but you're not going to get there without building a reputation of developing games that ALWAYS deliver. It's like the devs today have a popular title and think that the only thing they can make are titles with AAA budgets. After they get a taste of a well developed game that gains mainstream popularity, they lose all sight of how to make a well developed game that doesn't break the bank.

I know it's been said already but...Witcher 2! Stop spending 50 million on marketing for every damn game and tacking on multiplayer and you'll be fine.

Jintor

It depends how much cash they're spending I guess? So it's totally possible so long as you, you know. Focus costs.

Zenith said:
Crysis 1 had larger scope and that was PC only.
Stumpokapow said:
but crysis 1 had a larger scope and scale than crysis 2, and it was pc exclusive, and it was evidently popular and profitable enough to help crytek massively massively expand over the years.
darkpaladinmfc said:
Crysis 2 isn't the game that comes to mind when I think of scope and scale. I think of Crysis 1.
When you think of "scope and scale" you think about the openness of Crysis 1's first 6 chapters, but you fail to realize that Cevat is referring to the amount of unique art and environmental assets compared to the original. Crysis 1 has copy/pasted trees, foliage, and roads and the last 5 chapters are very linear. Crysis 2 dwarfs Crysis 1 in scale and scope if you combined all the levels together. The amount of assets Crytek had to create for the game is just massive. I'm not that smart and I managed to figure out what he was referring to.

whatevermort said:
Absolutely agree. Some games are exceptions - yes, throw Blizzard around - but 95% of AAA games released today wouldn't get made if the console market didn't exist.
Pretty much. I'm thankful consoles are around for that very reason.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
StuBurns said:
They're off by a few years, but Paradox Interactive. Crytek were founded 1 year after Paradox.

Lime

When I saw this in Crysis 2 I instantly knew what level of douchebag I was dealing with:

A CERVAT YERLI GAME.

Dude wants to be big shot games developer.

StuBurns

Banned
Sportbilly said:
Outside of exclusive, first party system-sellers, is any single platform viable for these sort of games?
No, that's another point. It's not just PC, it's just that everything is on both PS3 and 360, and combined the install base is a lot larger than the Western active 'hardcore' PC gaming community. Although the PC offers a lot more advantages over the consoles, than the individual consoles over each other, so it's less attractive to make an exclusive for either console.

DaBuddaDa

The 'scope' and 'scale' of Crysis 2 was reduced from Crysis 1, which was PC only and what made Crytek into what it is today off of tremendous sales, and the multiplayer features is something nobody ever asked for in the first place. C'mon Crytek. C'mon.

MrHicks

Banned
Lime said:
When I saw this in Crysis 2 I instantly knew what level of douchebag I was dealing with:

A CERVAT YERLI GAME.

Dude wants to be big shot games developer.

mgs2.jpg

a hideo.....
kojima what a douche

Mr_Brit said:
Valve succeded due to Steam, Blizzard succeded due to WoW. Without these two things they wouldn't be the powerhouses in the gaming industry that they are. Just look at how often Blizzard and Valve release their games, they can take as much time as they like due to income coming from WoW and Steam.
What? Valve made a boatload of money from HL and then made a boatload of money from HL2. Gabe was already a millionaire from Microsoft to boot.
Blizzard had been making crazy money! Every game did well, Warcraft 2, Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Diablo 2. Not even including WoW.

StuBurns said:
They don't make triple A shooters.

I'm pretty sure that was Chairman Yang's point: You don't need to make shooters and more shooters. Find a place where you can carve your slice out and do that.

markao

spazzfish said:
Ah ok so If this was PC only would the budget have been less for the sequel than the original?
I don't know what the original game had for budget (think somewhere around 20 mil), but this one could easily double that. They had around 80/90 people just working on the MP side and around last years E3, they mentioned that they were already at close to 300 people total working on the title and that was before the delay.

There is no publisher going to give you that kind of budget for a triple A game, unless you are going multi-platform. As others mentioned earlier, being self-funded, Blizzard/Valve, makes live a lot easier.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it probably can. I mean, it depends what he means by "big." Because the consoles can't really support big big games either. Look at the past 5 years.

szaromir

Banned
StuBurns said:
That's completely true, but it assumes that Crytek would rather compromise the type of game they make than the platforms they make it on, which is clearly not the case.

Crysis 2 could have been PC exclusive, there is no question about that, maybe they couldn't have spent as much on it, but they wanted to make something else, that's their decision. If I think it's a good one or not is a totally different question. The issue was if they could get the Crysis 2 budget to make a PC exclusive, I believe them, I doubt they could.
I was never a Crytek fan, hated Far Cry and barely played the demo of Crysis. But the way I see it, being multiplatform is hardly the issue, compromising game design is. Dropping what made your previous games popular in order to follow broader market usually leads to the company losing relevance as it loses its fans and still isn't able to compete in the new, theoreticly bigger market.

StuBurns

Banned
MrHicks said:
http://www.nollbroek.nl/wp-content/gallery/ps2/mgs2.jpg[IMG]

[B]a hideo.....[/B]
kojima what a douche[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/30/1064220-ps3_brutal_legend_box_art_super.jpg

Tim Schafer is a douche too apparently.

Pureauthor said:
I'm pretty sure that was Chairman Yang's point: You don't need to make shooters and more shooters. Find a place where you can carve your slice out and do that.
Yes, and that was my point, they want to make those games. They seem to be unwilling to compromise on the type of games they make to grow to being completely self-sufficient.

szaromir, I totally agree with that post, although I did like Crysis.

Top Bottom