• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek wants 8GB of RAM in next-gen consoles

TheExodu5

Banned
Izayoi said:
No. By "getting close" I mean 9GBish in use. I turned off my pagefile so my memory usage is a little higher than most. TERA uses a good 4GB of RAM, usually, so I'm closer to 10GB when I play that.

Whoa. I've never seen a game use that much. 64-bit executables are fairly rare.

TheExodu5

Banned
Crunched said:
In W7? How?

Like I said, Windows 7 caches a lot of frequently used applications in memory. It's essentially not letting your RAM go to waste.

If my system is using more, I guess it's because Windows 7 is caching larger applications. I don't know why. I was running on 4GB of RAM 3 months ago and my system would usually cache around half of that.

Red

TheExodu5 said:
Like I said, Windows 7 caches a lot of frequently used applications in memory. It's essentially not letting your RAM go to waste.

If my system is using more, I guess it's because Windows 7 is caching larger applications. I don't know why. I was running on 4GB of RAM 3 months ago and my system would usually cache around half of that.
Typical idle usage on my desktop with 12GB is only about 2GB. Not sure what's inflating numbers for other people but it's something I've never encountered.

TheExodu5

Banned
Actually I have no idea why my system likes using up so much memory...because come to think of it, I have SuperFetch disabled.

Oh, I just had a thought, it could be Gigabyte quick-boot, which helps make sleep mode work. I noticed my boot time has gone up by about 5-10 seconds with this on, so it might be keeping an image somewhere in memory to make sleep mode work. Just a theory.

njr

I can see that gaming consoles can get away with smaller RAM, but having at least 3 GB seems ideal. I'm sure if current games are now using 512MB, 3GB wouldn't seem like overkill.

wit3tyg3r

Casp0r said:
Just about running on a SLI 3x Nvidia GTX 580 setup ... that's only roughly 4.5 Gigs of video memory right there alone ...

Running GPU's in SLI/CrossFire (depending on whether it's NVIDIA or AMD, respectively) does not add up the RAM available to the GPU's. Running one stock GTX 580 has ~1.5 GB or VRAM. Running 3-way SLI on that same card will still only give you ~1.5 GB of VRAM. That's because each card has to store the same data in each card's memory. The memory is not shared across the cards.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
TheExodu5 said:
Actually I have no idea why my system likes using up so much memory...because come to think of it, I have SuperFetch disabled.

Oh, I just had a thought, it could be Gigabyte quick-boot, which helps make sleep mode work. I noticed my boot time has gone up by about 5-10 seconds with this on, so it might be keeping an image somewhere in memory to make sleep mode work. Just a theory.

It's got to be something big. My 2010 RTS/email checker PC idles at about 1.6 GB, 2011 HTPC/gaming PC above 2 GB, and my work PC around 4 GB (expected, lots of dev apps).

Not arguing against more RAM. If console devs were given more system RAM, they would find things to do with it. Are most PC devs using 32-bit address space for fear of reducing their market potential?

wit3tyg3r said:
Running GPU's in SLI/CrossFire (depending on whether it's NVIDIA or AMD, respectively) does not add up the RAM available to the GPU's. Running one stock GTX 580 has ~1.5 GB or VRAM. Running 3-way SLI on that same card will still only give you ~1.5 GB of VRAM. That's because each card has to store the same data in each card's memory. The memory is not shared across the cards.

So how does this work? Do each GPU's memory pool get the same data and generate output frames round robin? If you had a single GPU with the same FLOPs/processing power but the RAM of a single of the half powered GPUs, would the RAM ever become a bottleneck?

Izayoi

Banned
teh_pwn said:
It's got to be something big. My 2010 RTS/email checker PC idles at about 1.6 GB, 2011 HTPC/gaming PC above 2 GB, and my work PC around 4 GB (expected, lots of dev apps).
So how do you handle Supreme Commander with that setup?

teh_pwn

Izayoi said:
So how do you handle Supreme Commander with that setup?

I'm still catching up on PC gaming, as I didn't have a viable one between 2005-early 2010. I might check that out.

But I plan to use my office/email checker/2010 machine for RTS games because I like sitting with a keyboard/mouse in a computer chair with an LCD monitor. I love my HTPC & Plasma TV, but plasma is bad at fine geometry, and my apartment is too small to buy a kickass coffee table that can lift up to be a good place for a keyboard/mouse. Sometimes I'll use a couple of TV trays and use the HTPC in my living room. It's not that it cannot be a comfy couch experience, it's just I need better furniture.

Both rigs have 8 GB system RAM if I misunderstood the question.

More RAM chips= higher board complexity.

Far too many are overlooking this simple fact when doing their genius cost comparisons.

GDDR5 isn't even available in 4Gb chips yet, let alone XDR2.

Anything more than 8 RAM chips can be basically counted out straight away and a 4 chip solution is actually most likely imo.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I don't understand people acting shocked at this. Memory is a cheap component... if we're going to be stuck with a console for a decade, it better have 8gb of ram. Demand more from the products you enjoy and spend a lot of money on.

wit3tyg3r

teh_pwn said:
So how does this work? Do each GPU's memory pool get the same data and generate output frames round robin? If you had a single GPU with the same FLOPs/processing power but the RAM of a single of the half powered GPUs, would the RAM ever become a bottleneck?

In SLI, each card's memory stores the exact same data. There are after market cards that come with more than the factory card's memory that are specifically designed for SLI. So for example, you can buy a 3GB GTX 580 that is manufactured by a different company but uses NVIDIA's GPU. By itself, a GTX 580 would never need 3GB of VRAM. That's horribly overkill. So the 3GB GTX 580 is designed with SLI in mind so that you can have more than the stock 1.5GB of VRAM. And yes, if you go with SLI, Memory can become a bottleneck. One thing that NVIDIA has done is made the GTX 590. the 590 is a dual-GPU card that uses two underclocked GTX 580 GPU's. the 590 comes with 3GB of VRAM so essentially, a single 590 is slightly better than 2 GTX 580 cards because it has 3GB of VRAM whereas stock 580's only have 1.5. However, the 590 is slightly underclocked since it's all running on one card. But the important thing is that each card in an SLI setup has to store the exact same data in VRAM so an SLI setup doesn't add VRAM.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
brain_stew said:

Far too many are overlooking this simple fact when doing their genius cost comparisons.

Yeah for someone else with some common sense!

Next gen is all about cost reduction & simplifed design.
Integrated CPU & GPU, minimum amount of RAM chips & single sided PCBs.

Red

Vilam said:
I don't understand people acting shocked at this. Memory is a cheap component... if we're going to be stuck with a console for a decade, it better have 8gb of ram. Demand more from the products you enjoy and spend a lot of money on.
It's like people aren't even reading the thread. Hell, nevermind the thread, it's like they're ignoring even the last two or three posts.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So crytek wants consoles to be as powerful as top of the line pcs, so they can make better games for these top of the line pcs...errr I mean consoles?

szaromir

Banned
navanman said:

Again, they'll only go for integrated CPU&GPU design only if they are not powerful. Though if next-gen starts at 28nm or even 22nm, the manufacturers can't expect the usual cost reduction curve (even this gen it has been much slower), so they will have to put low powered processors at the very beginning. It's kind of sad that we're hitting physical limits of silicon, at the same time it's incredible that commercial devices have 40nm manufacturing process.

teh_pwn

navanman said:

I think that, user interface innovations, and viable 1080p support. You don't need ultra high end to get 1080p with PCs these days, and that would be a huge improvement over consoles of today which mostly run between 480p and 720p. But Sony and Microsoft probably want to reduce the hardware losses. Microsoft however may decide to take a hit again though to get a competitive advantage because they can more than afford it and still may be looking for very long term market share.

On the one hand we may not get 8 GB, but on the other I'm not understanding the "1 GB is all we need" comments. What do you need more RAM for? Higher res textures for 1080p eye candy for one.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
szaromir said:
Again, they'll only go for integrated CPU&GPU design only if they are not powerful. Though if next-gen starts at 28nm or even 22nm, the manufacturers can't expect the usual cost reduction curve (even this gen it has been much slower), so they will have to put low powered processors at the very beginning. It's kind of sad that we're hitting physical limits of silicon, at the same time it's incredible that commercial devices have 40nm manufacturing process.

22nm is a possibility for 2012-2013 consoles but it'll be tight. I reckon they will stick with mature & refined 32nm design.
Intel, TMSC, IBM & Global Foundries would only be ramping up 22nm by early 2012.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Educate me.

People keep mentioning the dissipation of heat in small boxes, then I look at my gaming notebook (45W CPU, 85W GPU, in a 1.5" thick "box") and I have to wonder why something as thick as my PS3 (even the Slim) should be worthy of having any serious discussion on heat.

What am I missing?

Oppo

Yeah I'm going to vote 2GB system RAM and 1-2GB VRAM. It makes the most sense w/r/t where component costs are at, and the 32bit address size of 2GB.

Crytek is just using classic bargaining and starting high to end up at 4GB total hopefully.

Casp0r

Banned
Can people stop using the 'games barely use <figure> much of RAM now?'

Yeah ... no shit, because all games are designed around RAM limitations ... shit 99% of shooters are designed to run on less than 512MB ...

Anyone read the actual article where Crytek are quoted saying this? The rest of the article is all about how they spent half the time working round RAM limitations.

So give the main mass market 8 Gigs ... give the developers that platform and they'll start designing games that can utilize it.

Who knows what they could do ... but that'll be the fucking point. I don't want to see slightly better games next generation ... I want to see something that blows my mind, I want to be amazed and left speechless ... not looking at HD versions of games we've seen already.

I want games that don't require load screens, GTA where you can go into every house, Red Faction 3 destruction in every game, etc etc

Sure it might be too expensive, sure it might not fit on the board, sure it might be too complex ... however don't you fucking dare say it won't be used ... because what the fuck do you know about something that's never been seen before. For all we know, that extra memory could open whole new doors to the way games can be made.

K.Jack said:
Educate me.

People keep mentioning the dissipation of heat in small boxes, then I look at my gaming notebook (45W CPU, 85W GPU, in a 1.5" thick "box") and I have to wonder why something as thick as my PS3 (even the Slim) should be worthy of having any serious discussion on heat.

What am I missing?

You can afford much more expensive cooling solutions in a $1k+ laptop than a $300 console. Laptops are expected to have a short shelf life as well, no one expects them to last 5+ years and they rarely ever do.

TheExodu5

Banned
Have you guys even ever heard a gaming laptop? My ears bleed.

K.Jack said:
Educate me.

What am I missing?

Also, you're talking about a system that takes less than 150W under load. The launch PS3 took about 300W. Big difference.

RaijinFY

TheExodu5 said:
Have you guys even ever heard a gaming laptop? My ears bleed.

Also, you're talking about a system that takes less than 150W under load. The launch PS3 took about 300W. Big difference.

200W.

RaijinFY

navanman said:
22nm is a possibility for 2012-2013 consoles but it'll be tight. I reckon they will stick with mature & refined 32nm design.
Intel, TMSC, IBM & Global Foundries would only be ramping up 22nm by early 2012.

As far as i know, only Intel seems to be ramping up 22nm by early 2012...?

Dennis

Banned
navanman said:

I have mentioned time and time again in this thread that the simple placement of that many RAM chips is a problem on a console board but people keep ignoring it.

Srsly

Banned
I'm sure cost reduction and simplicity are a big priority, but with new consoles launching within a couple of years, how are console manufacturers going to provide enough of an incentive for gamers to purchase these consoles if their isn't some serious improvements (an order of magnitude) from current generation consoles in graphical fidelity? Most gamers don't hyper-analyze textures, resolution and lighting enough to appreciate a modest increase in fidelity. Consoles manufacturers won't be able to skimp in favor of efficiency if they're going to want to produce enough of a leap in graphical fidelity to incentivize the average gamer to purchase a new piece of hardware. Or they can come up with a nice gimmick...

Log4Girlz

I can imagine if Crytek had a meeting with Nintendo about their next-gen system.

Crytek: "Hey Iwata, we'd like to see 8GB of Ram in your next-generation system"
Iwata *pulls out revolver* "GTFO"

The Judge

Log4Girlz said:
I can imagine if Crytek had a meeting with Nintendo about their next-gen system.

Crytek: "Hey Iwata, we'd like to see 8GB of Ram in your next-generation system"
Iwata *laughs*"

Surely that's what you meant.

8gb does seem like overkill but if the consoles come out in 2012-13 then it's possible. At least 4gb I'd say. And since that's an 8x boost over the current gen then it should be fine.

MultiCore

TheExodu5 said:
They really should.

They're becoming more and more like PCs...might as well go all the way.
It's cheaper to solder the chips straight to the motherboard.

Those ram slots aren't free, comrade.

jax (old)

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I have mentioned time and time again in this thread that the simple placement of that many RAM chips is a problem on a console board but people keep ignoring it.

there's this plus the fact that some of them seem to magically think console design+ costing will really mean we'll get 4gb-8gb. It'll be much less. I'm saying 2gb.

Reason? Cost. There's a reason while apple can chuck in 1gb of ram in the 1pad, they used only 256 and then only 512mb.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
brain_stew said:

Anything more than 8 RAM chips can be basically counted out straight away and a 4 chip solution is actually most likely imo.

Thank god, finally some common sense in this thread.

Motherboard complexity is a huge cost driver in consoles, and cutting down the number of chips is a huge way to lower cost. Just look at the PS3 when it first came out compared to how it is today.

Kevin

Microsoft reportedly just recently started assembling a team to work on development for their next generation console. If I had to guess, it's a good 2-3 years off at the minimum. The "ten year" plan seems to indeed be Microsoft's plan for the Xbox 360 being the primary console. Especially considering Kinect is still relatively new and marked the halfway point.

Anyways my point is that by the time the Xbox 3 or whatever it will be called actually comes out, it will likely have about 4gb - 8gb ram. This is going by the trends in previous consoles. Obviously share speculation but considering this console may have a ten year lifespan opposed to the traditional five, it explains why the memory leap of 16x is logical oppose to just 8x more for a five year time frame.

There are a lot of factors that could change this but this is my guess. Crytek could end up being proven right. Especially considering graphics features are becoming much more CPU/Memory intensive the higher the visuals get. DX11 tessellation, one new feature and it's require beasty hardware just for that. It may take beasty hardware to make a console that actually looks significantly better then the current consoles in terms of graphics and to create a leap as big as Xbox 1 to Xbox 360, PS2 to PS3 in visuals.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Andrex said:
I want the one with the more gee bees.

I want the one with the more
bee-gees-the-photo-xl-the-bee-gees-6234099.jpg

Top Bottom