• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek wants 8GB of RAM in next-gen consoles

gatti-man

navanman said:
Most people are forgetting the fact that these RAM chips will have to soldered to the motherboard taking up valuable PCB space and adding increased complexity (cost) depending on the bus width used.

GDDR5 comes in 256MB units so unless they can increase this to 512MB per chip, it very unlikely we will see even 4GB RAM IMO.
Space wont be an issue if they are SOC as rumored.

Shadow of the BEAST said:
Anything less than 4gb and it become a bottleneck for the rest of the system. Its like driving a Ferrari with moped petrol tank. Completely pointless.

Between 4-6gb is the most reasonable target. it would make it about ten times the current console. Which is completely reasonable.

Which from a technical standpoint isn't going to happen. As previously mentioned the highest capacity GDDR5 out at the moment are 256MB chips, it takes 8 of those to get 2GB. In order to get 8GB it's going to take 32 chips. The PCB complexity for that would be ridiculous both financially and from an engineering perspective. Shit the cost alone makes it a pipe dream.

Te days of multiplying by 8 and using pointless specs from the prior generation are long gone.

gatti-man said:
Space wont be an issue if they are SOC as rumored.

It would still be an issue, even on a SoC you have to worry about lane complexity from 32 chips

Lionheart1337 said:
On another note what do you guys think the next consoles will be priced at? *shudders*

Going by the wishes in this thread and in previous threads (you know 512GB SSDs, SLI confgs)

lol you don't want to know.

Lionheart1337 said:
On another note what do you guys think the next consoles will be priced at? *shudders*
$400-$500.

As it is, HDDs, WiFi, HDMI, Blu-Ray, etc are all basic things to expect and won't drive the cost up on the next consoles so it pretty much comes down to RAM, GPU, and CPU.

It pretty much depends if they go with great tech are simply passable tech. With Sony, Vita seems to be a good indication that tech is very important to them.

Mr_Brit

Banned
mysteriousmage09 said:
$400-$500.

As it is, HDDs, WiFi, HDMI, Blu-Ray, etc are all basic things to expect and won't drive the cost up on the next consoles so it pretty much comes down to RAM, GPU, and CPU.

It pretty much depends if they go with great tech are simply passable tech. With Sony, Vita seems to be a good indication that tech is very important to them.
Except for CPU, GPU and RAM, everything else won't cost more than the current consoles.

Angelus Errare said:
Which from a technical standpoint isn't going to happen. As previously mentioned the highest capacity GDDR5 out at the moment are 256MB chips, it takes 8 of those to get 2GB. In order to get 8GB it's going to take 32 chips. The PCB complexity for that would be ridiculous both financially and from an engineering perspective. Shit the cost alone makes it a pipe dream.

Te days of multiplying by 8 and using pointless specs from the prior generation are long gone.

It would still be an issue, even on a SoC you have to worry about lane complexity from 32 chips
Protip: Memory prices drop with time and memory chip sizes increase with time, shocking, I know. By 2013 there will definitely be 512mb GDDR5 chips in mass production.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Lionheart1337 said:
If the consoles come out higher than $299, they've learned nothing.

Mr_Brit said:
Except for CPU, GPU and RAM, everything else won't cost more than the current consoles.

Protip: Memory prices drop with time and memory chip sizes increase with time, shocking, I know. By 2013 there will definitely be 512mb GDDR5 chips in mass production.

Protip: These consoles are in development right now because they need to be taped out a year before it actually launches (You know...so they have enough to sell)....so if it's expected to launch in say 2013, hardware is finalized in 2012ish, right now there are no 512MB chips, and when they are finally ready it'll be too late to use them, Its not like they can simply swap in the new chips, they then would have to go back and rework everything from the PCB to CPU/GPU access to said chips, since the bandwidth of the new chips would also most likely be different. Shocking I know.

K.Jack said:

Jump in later bro i want to very best stuff they can cram into a 499 euro budget atleast the for the next xbox the ps4 dont really care for it won't be there day 1 maybe day 1000 or so.

Dont get me wrong i want the next xbox because i hope they will have some form of xna support on it.

K.Jack said:

I agree with this. I think sony has learnt their lesson at least, which is evident with the pricing of the vita. People are not going to turn out in droves to pay $599 or even $499 for a system no matter how much tech is crammed in.

XOMTOR

I'd love to see a $299 launch price but I'd be extremely surprised if either console launched that low. These things, like a lot of tech toys love their price-points and $299 seems way too low.

I'd like to say $399 would be more realistic but who knows. Let's just hope it's not $599 like last time. Of course early adopters will buy even at this price and they'll likely still sell out in the beginning.

gatti-man

K.Jack said:
Wasn't the 360 sold out for months after launch? What lesson is that?

DaSorcerer7 said:
I agree with this. I think sony has learnt their lesson at least, which is evident with the pricing of the vita. People are not going to turn out in droves to pay $599 or even $499 for a system no matter how much tech is crammed in.
299 would get me abandoning consoles all together. I hope they launch at 599 to keep most of teenies offline for the first year. I loved the first year of psn.

McLovin

599$ is what I want(yeah it was awesome not having kids online when ps3 launched), but it wont sell. 299$ is just too cheap if they want to make it powerful. 499$ is the sweet spot for me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
NEOPARADIGM said:
If you think they'll launch at that price, you've learned nothing. PS3 just came down to $249 the other day.

Yep. I expect 399 regular and 499 bundle of some sort. The hard drive size differentiation is an easy way for them to make money on a "better" system.

That said, I just hope PS4 allows current DS3 and Move controllers to work with no issues. Just add a beefier webcam. Same with X720 controllers and Kinect. Just make a hard drive standard.

AndyD said:
Yep. I expect 399 regular and 499 bundle of some sort. The hard drive size differentiation is an easy way for them to make money on a "better" system.

That said, I just hope PS4 allows current DS3 and Move controllers to work with no issues. Just add a beefier webcam. Same with X720 controllers and Kinect. Just make a hard drive standard.

The platform holders should take sony stance on hdd next gen let me put in my own if i can do it. Go treat your costumers that know things better if i want to host a dedicated server for live or psn let me do it. Or atleast let me rent one next gen.

According to an iSuppli breakdown from late 2009, 256MB of XDR cost Sony less than $10 at the time:

OQJ9o.jpg

They don't list the GDDR3 RSX uses for whatever reason. Anyways, RAM clearly isn't the biggest price factor here.

okenny

Banned
I'm all for as much RAM as we can get. I just hope we have media that can fill it up fast enough to avoid protracted load times.

Instro

Dark Octave said:
I know this comment is 4 months old, but never forget:

"LMAO 20gb hdd for a game console will NEVER get filled!"

"OMG Why we need Blu-ray when we got DVD??
"
Was it worth $599?

okenny

Banned
Zombie James said:
According to an iSuppli breakdown from late 2009, 256MB of XDR cost Sony less than $10 at the time:

OQJ9o.jpg

They don't list the GDDR3 RSX uses for whatever reason. Anyways, RAM clearly isn't the biggest price factor here.

I'm not sure if we are seeing the same numbers here. People are asking for 2 to 8 GB of RAM for the PS4. 4 GB would cost $160. Even if the RAM prices fall by 2013, how much of does it offset the increase in specs for the PS4 RAM. I don't think that people making a price argument are totally baseless.

Also remember these guys are trying to shave a penny anywhere they can. 150 million pennies is a lot to a bottom-line.

Jeseus

Zombie James said:

OQJ9o.jpg

first revision of PS3 had 12 chips of RAM!!

8x32MB GDD3
4x64MB XDR

Now they are using 256MB chips (x4)

When they use 12x256MB it will be 3072 or 12x512 6144MB ... i am expecting 4GB GDD?+XDR? combined

okenny said:
I'm not sure if we are seeing the same numbers here. People are asking for 2 to 8 GB of RAM for the PS4. 4 GB would cost $160. Even if the RAM prices fall by 2013, how much of does it offset the increase in specs for the PS4 RAM. I don't think that people making a price argument are totally baseless.

Also remember these guys are trying to shave a penny anywhere they can. 150 million pennies is a lot to a bottom-line.

Well, there are a couple of things:

1. Those are 2009 prices.
2. It's XDR RAM, not the more widely-used DDR3 people are quoting.
3. No one knows what kind of RAM Sony will use next-gen.

I'm not sure why RAMBUS still plays such a big part in consoles but they're the wildcard, iirc. Sony could use XDR2 but I think that's overkill. DDR4 should hit mass production in late-2012 so that may be too late to incorporate into a new system design. GDDR5 is shaping up to be a good alternative, but I have no idea what those costs are (less than XDR2, I'm sure). And of course, there's the dirt-cheap DDR3.

Anyways, the Blu-ray drive is the most costly part of the PS3 right now and it's safe to assume there'll be one in the PS4. If they can get Blu-ray drive costs down I don't see why a PS4 can't have at least 2GB of memory in a $349-399 box. I'm hoping for 4GB.

Instro said:
Was it worth $599?
Is an iPad worth $799? Is a cell phone worth $499 or $299 with a two year contract at $80 a month?

At the time, the PS3 was not only the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market, but also the best. Not to mention everything else it can do that no other single device could at the time.

But this isn't about the PS3. The point my earlier post is making is that we should never say "this is too much" or "that is overkill". That's just being short sighted. Back in 2005 who would have thought we would be eating through 250gb hdd for a game console. Who would have thought we would still be using 4 DVDs for an RPG? Nobody can predict the future so the more prepared for it we are the better. I remember hearing that if it wasn't for Epic asking for more ram in the 360, we would have gotten only 256mb instead. Can you imagine playing Gears or any other game with half the ram we have today?

Now I'm not arguing system and parts costs, just the good that could come from being prepared.

Zombie James said:
Well, there are a couple of things:

1. Those are 2009 prices.
2. It's XDR RAM, not the more widely-used DDR3 people are quoting.
3. No one knows what kind of RAM Sony will use next-gen.

I'm not sure why RAMBUS still plays such a big part in consoles but they're the wildcard, iirc. Sony could use XDR2 but I think that's overkill. DDR4 should hit mass production in late-2012 so that may be too late to incorporate into a new system design. GDDR5 is shaping up to be a good alternative, but I have no idea what those costs are (less than XDR2, I'm sure). And of course, there's the dirt-cheap DDR3.

Anyways, the Blu-ray drive is the most costly part of the PS3 right now and it's safe to assume there'll be one in the PS4. If they can get Blu-ray drive costs down I don't see why a PS4 can't have at least 2GB of memory in a $349-399 box. I'm hoping for 4GB.

1. Ram prices don't always fall, some times they go up. So even though that's a 2009 price up there, it could be more or it could be less.
2. XDR/2, or GDDR3/5 are more likely to be used than DDR3.
3. This is true, but I would say betting money on it not using DDR3 wouldn't be foolish.

I think 2 gigs is what you're going to see the next gen consoles topping out at. MAYBE pushing 3, but I think anyone expecting 4 - 8 gigs are going to be extremely disappointed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
2 is what I'm expecting but 3 is what I'm hoping for. 3 would help a lot with UI features and performance and I think 4 is kind of overkill for a console right now.

Zombie James said:

OQJ9o.jpg

As we can see.. ram is not one of the biggest costs.

cutting ram and thus crippling the whole console seems highly unlikely.

You cant build a console that is 10-20 times as powerful as xbox 360 and ship it with 2gbs of ram.

It would be a huge bottleneck. Especially since next gen will probably last longer than this.

mokeyjoe said:
2gb is most likely I reckon. 4gb is a stretch, and probably not necessary for a console, but it's not completely unreasonable.
How is 4 gigs a stretch? These consoles want multi-app support and high processing capabilities.

-PS1 had 3.5mb of ram total (2mb for CPU, 1mb GPU, 512kb for sound) let's say it's 4mb.
-PS2 had 32mb... 8x that amount.
-Xbox had 64mb of RAM.
-360 was going for an original 256mb of RAM until Epic told them "no" which would have been 8x the amount of the PS2
-PS3 has 512mb...8x the amount of the Xbox.

It's not much to ask for 8x the RAM increase, even with the high clock speeds.

Angelus Errare said:
Gonna work 5 jobs to get it? :p Rambus are a bunch of overpricing dicks.
Sony has gone with RAMBUS for 2 generations now. One reason why the PS3 is still capable is because of that 256mb of XDR they have in there.

K.Jack said:
Except that the dollar has inflated even more in the past 5 years?

Goldmund

phosphor112 said:
How is 4 gigs a stretch? These consoles want multi-app support and high processing capabilities.

-PS1 had 3.5mb of ram total (2mb for CPU, 1mb GPU, 512kb for sound) let's say it's 4mb.
-PS2 had 32mb... 8x that amount.
-Xbox had 64mb of RAM.
-360 was going for an original 256mb of RAM until Epic told them "no" which would have been 8x the amount of the PS2
-PS3 has 512mb...8x the amount of the Xbox.

It's not much to ask for 8x the RAM increase, even with the high clock speeds.

Sony has gone with RAMBUS for 2 generations now. One reason why the PS3 is still capable is because of that 256mb of XDR they have in there.
Exponential growth is never unreasonable.

Marco1

It will be 2 GB and some sort of integration with windows 8 and windows phone.
GPU will be equivalent to a GTX560 although I have heard they are not going nvidea.
Surely that puts nvidea in a bad position if all 3 are not using them.
I love the hype and buildup to a new console launch and then wonder why we are paying over the odds for the usual franchises but in a higher resolution for the first 6 months although I will never forget buying my xbox 360 at launch with COD2, condemned and PGR3.

Majanew

Banned
Shadow of the BEAST said:
As we can see.. ram is not one of the biggest costs.

cutting ram and thus crippling the whole console seems highly unlikely.

You cant build a console that is 10-20 times as powerful as xbox 360 and ship it with 2gbs of ram.

It would be a huge bottleneck. Especially since next gen will probably last longer than this.
That's why I think it's in Microsoft and Sony's best interest to put as much RAM in as possible. The next generation could really last longer than this one and that gives the systems more life and more time on the market for them to eventually become more and more profitable for MS/Sony.

Reiko

Banned
A big majority of the thread calling bullshit and saying 2 gigs max.

Rumours for PS4/720 I don't think I've seen a recent one that has mentioned less than 4gigs

And then Tiago Sousa, the guy from Crytek that wanted 8GB retweeted about next gen consoles probably having 8GB afterall.

Top Bottom