• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult of Chucky Trailer

Haines

Banned
Watched this last night. Not really a fan. Andy cant act and kills a scene. Production values pull me right out of the movie,

And what about that glass falling death? Could have been cool than wham full on sillyness.

Eh. Cool they are still making chucky movies but i suggest just watching the first two and stopping.

I watched Curse recently which I thought was baaad, then this, which I thought was worse. I wondered, are any of these movies any good or is the character just iconic?

I rewatched the first film for the first time in its entirety, and it was awesome.. Will have to see part 2 again and see if it continues in the vein of child's play or becomes sub full moon studios level trash immediately.

gamz

I watched Curse recently which I thought was baaad, then this, which I thought was worse. I wondered, are any of these movies any good or is the character just iconic?

I rewatched the first film for the first time in its entirety, and it was awesome.. Will have to see part 2 again and see if it continues in the vein of child's play or becomes sub full moon studios level trash immediately.

Curse was great! If you don't like that then you aren't a fan of the series.

zeemumu

Did anybody else think that...

Andy's plan was to put himself in the Chucky Doll and we'd have a Chucky versus Chucky fight?

That's exactly what I thought.

I thought
he was gonna have that Chucky go undercover and free him from his cell while they both hunted down the other Chucky's, and the buzzcut was to be able to differentiate between them.

gamz

That's exactly what I thought.

I thought
he was gonna have that Chucky go undercover and free him from his cell while they both hunted down the other Chucky's, and the buzzcut was to be able to differentiate between them.

Exactly! I thought it was a stupid plan
to just to get a gun?

Curse was great! If you don't like that then you aren't a fan of the series.

No, it really wasn't.

I guess if I only like the first or first couple movies in a long line of shitty movies, you could say that about me.

What's your favorite Hellraiser, Halloween, Friday?

gamz

No, it really wasn't.

I guess if I only like the first or first couple movies in a long line of shitty movies, you could say that about me.

What's your favorite Hellraiser, Halloween, Friday?

If you like the first couple of movies then Curse should be up your alley. It's a throwback to the early movies.

Never liked Hellraiser, the first, and part 4.

Ambient80

I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been an Expendables for horror movies. Has there? I know we got Freddy VS Jason but there are so many more horror icons. Just call it Murder Planet and have the plot be about some ancient deity giving total power to whoever can kill the most people in one night or something. So then you get the icons not only fighting each other but also tons and tons of kills using all the different styles or even combos. Have it end with a draw and all the icons decide to kill the deity and take its power. That even sets it up for sequels, maybe mix some Purge into it so that the power is absolute BUT now they can only come out every X number of years to kill.

I imagine that would take so much negotiation due to legal fees/licensing/whatever that it wouldn’t happen. It’d be fun tho!

Enco

Maybe it's because I can't remember the last Chucky film I saw but this was utter trash.

Nothing was enjoyable about it at all.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Mama mia how Fiona Dourif looks like her dad.

No kidding. Those genes are strong. They had them paired up during the Cult press junket too. Wonder if she'll get into the same type of character acting.

Wait so people are saying curse as good as 1 and 2?

I havent seen it. Loved the first two but hated this one.

curse was really good. This one was watchable and only decent if you're ok with how silly it got. Curse is more serious. Classic style tension/horror.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Loved Curse. Cult was absolutely fucking horrible.

This. Bad acting save Nika and bargain-bin plot/dialogue. IMO, if you have a silly concept like a killer doll the rest of the movie has to be as grounded as possible for it to be effective. I felt curse did this well enough so it worked for me.

I was constantly distracted by non-sensicle character motives, dialogue and the "hospital" looked like a set and not like any kind of real place. Felt cheap, IMO.

Wait so people are saying curse as good as 1 and 2?

I havent seen it. Loved the first two but hated this one.

Well, try it. Curse isn't the worst but it's pretty bad. It fits in perfectly with today's lame-o netflix horror selection. It suffers from the same thing cult does, which is a budget spent entirely in the puppets, so you have a script where there's basically only one set for the entire film. Pointless lesbian makeouts, sexy nanny in underwear, unlikeable cast, maybe spare Nika. Just dumb. It might be an intentional throwback to the first, but it feels more like a modern crappy horror film to me. No charm.

That's me though. This cult of chucky in the thread seems to love it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought Seed was disappointing. Taking Chucky to Hollywood was stupid if you ask me. He's scarier when he's the kids doll and no one believes it.
I saw Cult of Chucky and the post credits scene is awesome. I like that whole scenario.
Andy keeping him alive was interesting, but they really didn't talk. Sure, Andy wants him to suffer, but that's all Andy does. The only understanding of Voodoo is Chucky learning spells from the internet. They may have already discussed all there needs to be said about Chucky learning Voodoo and what happens when he's in the body for too long. I think that's what makes the whole thing interesting.

I'd like a reboot, but I also want another film.
Andy needs to escape. I wonder what Kyle is going to say to Chucky. Nica's role as Chucky might seem a bit lame because she sounds the same as she did as a human. They're basically going to have a mad doll house wherever they go. What's their plan now? Nica doesn't seem scary.

Nipo

Had just put on cult when i saw this thread. Read the last page and switched to curse instead. Hope you didn't steer me wrong.

phanphare

Banned
Well, try it. Curse isn't the worst but it's pretty bad. It fits in perfectly with today's lame-o netflix horror selection. It suffers from the same thing cult does, which is a budget spent entirely in the puppets, so you have a script where there's basically only one set for the entire film. Pointless lesbian makeouts, sexy nanny in underwear, unlikeable cast, maybe spare Nika. Just dumb. It might be an intentional throwback to the first, but it feels more like a modern crappy horror film to me. No charm.

That's me though. This cult of chucky in the thread seems to love it.

that lesbian make out wasn't pointless at all and actually served multiple purposes

the most obvious one was the misdirection. up until that point we are led to think that the nanny and ian are going to be the ones that fool around. they flirt a lot in the first half of the movie. this happens when ian insists on accompanying jill when she takes alice to the bathroom and then again at dinner which draws snide looks from barb. so when barb and jill start hooking up it's totally out of left field expectation wise.

then there's the aspect of it where ian suspects that his wife is fooling around with the nanny which prompts him to put a camera in chucky to spy on them. that comes in to play later when ian tries to prove that nica is the one killing everyone but then he starts seeing footage of chucky running around doing chucky things. then he skips ahead to the live feed which of course has chucky creeping up on them right at that moment and before he can fully comprehend that he's dead.

and then there's the slightly less necessary part because they could have still worked this death out somehow but when barb and jill are video calling each other the laptop that jill is using is how she gets electrocuted

I also didn't find the fact that the whole movie is in one house to be a detriment to the film. I liked that aspect of it.

gamz

This. I can't really remember anything pointless or a glaring flaw in Curse. I love how gothic stylish Mancini went with it.

Wasn't crazy about it, but was entertained. Saw it as soon as it showed up on Netflix. As advertised, Chucky slices and crushes more graphically, for whatever that's worth. Fiona Dourif is a high point of this and Curse (which I might favor). She's demonstrated enough solid acting in these Chucky flicks to be considered for more roles.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
There's a lot I didn't like about this flick, but I think the worst aspect which turned out to be the last straw was
Andy's utterly moronic idea to break into the asylum. What the fuck did he think he was going to accomplish?

Vidiot

Yeah after really liking Curse I didn't care for Cult. Andy being that dumb was annoying.
Sneak in a gun, waste entire clip on the doll you snuck the gun in with.

Endo Punk

Curse was a disappointment and bar 1-2 scenes like Chucky talking to the
crazy Ghost lady
this film was worse. Child's play trilogy is great, bride and seed are fine additions especially bride but now the franchise really needs to be rebooted.

Top Bottom