• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult of Mac: Our Sources Say Apple Is Developing A Video Game Console

Kinect-like video game console. The interface will rely heavily on motion and touch controls

No thanks.

Apple’s television set will come with an Apple-branded console

So do you have to buy the TV (which will probably be priced into the stratosphere) to get the console? I like my Panny plasma so, pass.

unomas

Banned
Would be interested if it wasn't going to be overpriced like everything else with an Apple logo on it. $800 day one, no thanks.

Well the Apple TV will probably play games.

My interest in such a product depends on the type of controller.

Buttons YAY.

Kinect camera + using a iPhone or iPod Touch as a controller = no interest what so ever.

G17

The Apple TV will have an appstore like the iPad, and it would probably be up to the developer (ie. Epic Games might make an Infinity Blade game) whether they support touch or a controller.

So esentially I think we'll see hardware improvements yearly like the iPhone/iPad which is a huge change vs. traditional console lifecycles.

Burai

shitonmychest57
True.

But, maybe there's a lot to be said for "completing" the ecosystem by creating THE go-to hub for people's living rooms. Something (much) cheaper than an iMac.

Apple will be aware that lots and lots of people use their products on the go, but break away from Apple products for other aspects of their entertainment lives, such as to play games or access music and video on Microsoft or Sony hardware. If Apple think they could shove those boxes out of the way in favour of their own hardware that delivers all that stuff at home, therefore essentially completing a loop where people theoretically never need to "leave" Apple's ecosystem..

I'm imagining a universal app system where you can buy one version of the game, have it run on your console, phone and iPad and have the saves automatically sync to iCloud so you're always current no matter where you are.

It's like Vita's transfarring and crossplay except you won't have to spend $120 across two game SKUs to do it or even think about the process.

That would be absolutely massive IMO.

Durask

I really do not understand how they plan to make money with Apple branded TV set.

Any electronic guts that will distinguish Apple TV from any other TV will age fast, requiring you to upgrade your TV every 2 years or so. IMHO it will be very hard to persuade even the most hardcore fanboi to get a new TV set every 1-2 years. Buying a new TV is a PITA process - you either take a big loss when you have to PAY money to someone to take your old TV or you take the changes with selling it on Craigslist when you have no choice but to let scores of potential burglars into your house.

One year ago I got rid of my LCD projection 720p TV and bought a new 1080p LCD set - getting the new set was easy (shipped from Amazon) - it turned out to be defective so had to pack it and send it back (a lot of fun with a 60 inch set). Was about to pay junk removal people to come in and take the old TV, but thankfully found a friend of a friend who wanted it and came with a minivan.

If someone at Apple thinks that I plan to repeat the process every 2 years for a new TV set...don't think so, unless they provide people with white gloves service where they pay you good money for your old TV and bring new TV into your living room.

elcranky

Banned
Bad news for Apple fans if true. The reason why their products have been so superior has been their intensely focused product and OS lineup. When they really focus their products will be amazing - like iPad.

Let's be clear here, Apple has almost never had a superior product in terms of function. Maybe the early iPODs, but those were quickly surpassed by other vendors. The iPAD3 and iPhone4 had superior screen resolution but were otherwise outdated, underpowered, overpriced products.

Apple entering the console market would be a disaster of epic proportions. It would make the crash of the early 80s look like the tech boom of the nineties.

Let's be clear here, Apple has almost never had a superior product in terms of function. Maybe the early iPODs, but those were quickly surpassed by other vendors. The iPAD3 and iPhone4 had superior screen resolution but were otherwise outdated, underpowered, overpriced products.
llloooollll

@Durask I agree, I don't see them releasing a TV. Or at least I have no idea how they would do it.

Durask

I must say that I can see Apple going after Nintendo's casual market and demolishing them there. In addition they can bite of a big chunk of kids market since many parents will be buying an Apple game system (hey, I can play my motion controlled Where's My Water on it, so good enough for ya, too).

G17

I think this rumor is 100% true since the Apple TV rumors have been going on forever (I believe even the WSJ mentioned it didn't they?) and when Apple makes hardware, you can be sure there will be an App store on it. And with app stores, you get games.

But like I said with yearly iterations to hardware, Apple can improve and cater to application developer and game developers needs more frequently than the 6 year console life cycle.

So I really do think the Apple TV will change how Microsoft and Sony do things even if the Apple TV does not perform as well as the next gen machines since it will most likely be a very small box.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
LOL. How in the fuck are the iPad and iPhone overpriced compared to its competition?

elcranky

Banned
LOL. How in the fuck are the iPad and iPhone overpriced compared to its competition?

Hmm, nook and kindle are half the price and provide better service and function so ...
As for phones the new Nokia windows phone is much less expensive and provides 100 x the functionality combined with superior industrial design.

P90

Exactly. The comparable tablets are comparable in price. I got my 16 GB iPhone 4 for $99 from Verizon. If anybody paid more, that is their fault. It is called negotiating, getting the best deal, bargaining, etc. The Android phones were more expensive with little leeway for getting a better deal.

iPad/iOS apps>Android in number, diversity, and quality. The Android fans seem to forget about that in their arguments. This may even out over time, but right now that is not the case.

Hmm, nook and kindle are half the price and provide better service and function so ...

The nook and Kindle are joke compared to the iPad. They are great eReaders, but for anything else, fogettaboutit. My family owns three nooks. We will be getting our second iPad, an iPad 3, this summer.

Burai

shitonmychest57
As for phones the new Nokia windows phone is much less expensive and provides 100 x the functionality combined with superior industrial design.

Oh. You're one of those guys.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
...Maybe Apple can provide the one console future everyone is yearning for?

Really wish Apple would partner with one of the big 3 just to provide the death blow to the competition.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Wasn't the point of the Apple TV is that everything is supposed to be inside the TV box, not anything external?

onQ123

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1603023&postcount=28

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=61253

apple-pie.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
Considering we have all three products in the house, I am and I speak from experience. The nook color is a significantly better product than the iPad2.

The nook colors specs are far lower than iPad 2's. No camera, worse screen. Have extremely limited app selection. And only a slim amount of external space can be used for non-nook software. Please explain your basis for this.

Barnes and noble would even laugh at this statement. The nook color is a e-reader. The iPad is a computer.

cilonen

Excellent... *rubs hands together* ... Finally the apple rumor nutjobs and the videogame rumor crazies are united. Now all we need is someone to link these rumors to potential new Canon and Nikon cameras and we'll unite the rumorverse and create an echo chamber of infinite power and stupidity.

(Apple built & Valve powered iSteam would be awesome).

We don't need this.

At all.

Not a fourth console. Won't work. Somebody will have to go.

The PC is nonexistant I see.

But I agree, one of the consoles have to go if Apple is going to enter the competition and I see Sony going bye bye. I'd still prefer if Apple didn't enter at all because screw Apple

BY2K

Membero Americo
The PC is nonexistant I see.

But I agree, one of the consoles have to go if Apple is going to enter the competition and I see Sony going bye bye. I'd still prefer if Apple didn't enter at all because screw Apple

PC is different, it does much more than just play games. I'm talking about dedicated gaming consoles. 3 is enough.

KorrZ

Half-Life 3 coming exclusively for the iConsole with full motion based controls!

I just don't see this happening/working out. If they try to make it fully motion/touch based it's going to bomb with gamers. Another thing is, the casual people who buy 99 cent games on their phone aren't necessarily going to translate to supporting $60 AAA releases. Anything with "Apple" on it people will lap up, but I suspect on the gaming side it'll dry up aside from iOS apps being ported over.

Valve really should be focusing on what it does best, the PC. Getting in bed with Apple for this doesn't really do them or anyone else any favours.

elcranky

Banned
The nook colors specs are far lower than iPad 2's. No camera, worse screen. Have extremely limited app selection. And only a slim amount of external space can be used for non-nook software. Please explain your basis for this.

Screen has minimal practical difference, at least for iPAD2s, and can actually be considered a detriment to the iPAD with regard to comfort. camera use isn't relevant, and there are very few useful or interesting apps on either platform beyond media consumption so that is a wash. Hopefully, the windows 8 tablets will actually bring something useful to the space this fall.

Cheebo

Banned
Screen has minimal practical difference, at least for iPAD2s, and can actually be considered a detriment to the iPAD with regard to comfort. camera use isn't relevant, and there are very few useful or interesting apps on either platform beyond media consumption so that is a wash. Hopefully, the windows 8 tablets will actually bring something useful to the space this fall.

Its a wash? You can actually purchase and load your movies on iPad 2. Nook has only streaming rental services like netflix and hulu and no way to purchase movies. You are crazy.

Oh and book only has the ebook service of the book store. iPad has iBooks, kindle, kobo and not to mention the entire nook store and service.

Not to even mention your claim that iPad having a better screen is somehow a negative.

JJD

The article sounded like an opinion piece to me.

But if Apple does indeed enter the console business I think it's safe to say that there isn't space in the market for four consoles.

Who is going to be left behind? I would guess either MS or Sony if Apple went after the hardcore gamer.

If they take a more "causal" approach Nintendo might have some problems, but since the Wii U seems more catered to dedicated gamers I guess they could manage based on the strengh of their brands.

Acheron

Banned
Apple TV is coming, it'll probably retail games. Perhaps Steam is their platform or they're getting technical assistance from Valve.

kinggroin

Banned
Exactly. The comparable tablets are comparable in price. I got my 16 GB iPhone 4 for $99 from Verizon. If anybody paid more, that is their fault. It is called negotiating, getting the best deal, bargaining, etc. The Android phones were more expensive with little leeway for getting a better deal.

iPad/iOS apps>Android in number, diversity, and quality. The Android fans seem to forget about that in their arguments. This may even out over time, but right now that is not the case.

The nook and Kindle are joke compared to the iPad. They are great eReaders, but for anything else, fogettaboutit. My family owns three nooks. We will be getting our second iPad, an iPad 3, this summer.

While there is no contesting the overall quality of 3rd party apps on iOS, many of its users still don't understand that android users tend to NOT use as many apps due to better integration of the features you would otherwise need apps for.

FYI, something like instagram, is already built in to ICS as an example. Comparing both iOS and android based on their strengths is definitely an apples to oranges kinda deal.

Edit: and FFS guys, don't let shit like what's posted about the kindle fire or whatever, get your panties in a bunch. Even if he really believes what he says after you've responded/questioned once, let it go.

Top Bottom