• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYBERPUNK 2077 |OT2| The Last Samurai [>56K Warning_]

"Might be increased"? What in the fuck? Fix the goddamn save files you utter knobheads.

I imagine they need to take into account the infrastructure impact of increasing save sizes. They have the data, e.g. how many cloud saves go over 8mb, and what capacity they would need to adopt on GOG - and they may need to run past Microsoft/Sony/Steam/Epic too as a procedural exercise. It may be a simple change to make but the impact might not be.

scalman

So there are no better double jump legs there that would allow you to land from large heights? Because all point for that jumo is to land safely too from way larger heights i would think... imagine you jump from roof and land on street with impact...

HotPocket69

Banned
So there are no better double jump legs there that would allow you to land from large heights? Because all point for that jumo is to land safely too from way larger heights i would think... imagine you jump from roof and land on street with impact...

You can do that. Buy and install the Berzerk mod, and then reduce fall damage in Athletics. The Berzerk mod lets you do you an auto ground slam when you fall from great heights. There’s even a cheev/trophy tied to it.

scalman

You can do that. Buy and install the Berzerk mod, and then reduce fall damage in Athletics. The Berzerk mod lets you do you an auto ground slam when you fall from great heights. There’s even a cheev/trophy tied to it.
Yh problem im at lvl 49 so i wont get more point there i guess and i spend perks on other places. But there is allways second run , maybe as corpo maybe as girl and maybe it will be katana girl. So different style which would be nice to see how that would work.

Loostreaks

From those of you that have already played or are currently playing Cyberpunk 2077, what are your genuine thoughts on the actual role playing experience in this game?
Did your V build feel like a unique character within Night City? Did the character customization meet your expectations, given the very prominent premise of body modification?
If not, where does it lack flexibility and what details or properties would you like to have control over?

For those that played through multiple life paths, did you experience any significant or notable differences between playing as characters with completely different backgrounds?
Did your choices both in violent and non-violent encounters feel like they had actual consequences throughout your playthrough?
Are you fine with being a mercenary, or would you have preferred the choice to side with specific gangs or corpos? Or even betray them perhaps?

CDPR's approach included the use of dialogue choices and romancing options, which features some options that are unique to your chosen life path. Although this isn't really all that innovative, as there were previous titles also that featured these design choices. Still good to have nevertheless, as some options are better than zero options in an RPG.
Although it doesn't seem your choices have that much dynamic consequence in your relationships with NPCs.

Would Cyberpunk 2077 make for a better RPG without a main storyline for players to follow?
I'm convinced that giving players more agency in the type of narratives they choose to get involved with, both of greater and lesser consequence, would've made for a more genuine RPG experience.
Especially with the skill attributes influencing both the violent & non-violent options for your V build.

It feels like at some point in the game's development CDPR went from focusing on the RPG elements, and pivoted to a more action-adventure type of experience.
All of the GTA comparisons certainly didn't alleviate that concern.

I know a lot of AAA developers are hesitant in dropping players into a sandbox world, allowing them to make immediate choices on their own from the start.
Instead many of devs tend to direct players to certain objectives and story beats for a period, then eventually letting the game open up.
Which often takes the form of Intro missions/quest to serve as tutorials with narrative framing. As well as missions/quests that act a progress gates to move the main narrative forward.
There are certain games that do benefit from that sort of narrative structure, although in this case I'm convinced that Cyberpunk 2077's role playing experience suffers from that structure.

TLDR; Did Cyberpunk 2077 meet your 'role playing' expectations?
TLDR: For the most part.

I think what you have to look at the system as a whole: there are more focused rpgs out there, but rpg mechanics here are more ambitious or "wider" here than in most.

When it comes to character backgrounds/Lifepaths: good and a missed opportunity. On one hand, introductions were pretty short and had a build up to a interesting story that..got cut short. At the same time they give you a lot of conversation options ( that sometimes work as "persuasion" checks, or simply "lore" ) and they are much better implemented than in other rpgs. Kind of work like better version of Shadowrun's etiquettes or dialogue options you get in Bloodlines ( from your clan).

Structure of Stats, skills, perks system is the best I've seen in any rpg. Complex, synergetic while intuitive ( Max stat determines max skill which determines max perk investment).

You also have to specialize to unlock higher perks and feel rewarded for it( unlike in most rpgs, like Skyrim or Fallout), especially with mastery perks.

Also UI design for this is fucking amazing. I really love what they did here.

When it comes to perk themselves: mixed bag. Some are really cool/powerful ( like turning yourself into shotgunzerker who deals more damage the faster you move, become immune to your own grenades, regen health on melee hit, etc)..but some are lackluster/or with barely noticeable bonuses ( +3% to x, etc). They could've trimmed down on this. The game would be far better off with non levelled gear and more powerful character perks.

Skyrim-like system for skills ( advance by use) is also great: play how you want and you'll get better. It's also a better version of it ( in Skyrim skill level only a way of gating access to perks), and synergizes with it ( you unlock additional automatic perks).

And you have cyberware, with it's own mod/customization system.

Downside? Too many passives. Perks and cyberware need more active/unique abilities ( though it's better than in most rpgs, since some are dynamic/condition based..like slow mo when you dodge, perform a headshot crit and you get a combat boost, etc).

With dialogue, I'm pretty satisfied with number of skill checks you get: lifepaths, persuade or intimidate ( based on Cool or Body), less frequent tech or intelligence checks, sometimes also your skills show up. Downside is the game needs more personality roleplaying options ( like in Bioware games) and Deus Ex-like highlighting of precisely what my character is going to say.

And quest design is great: even side missions have a ton of options on how you want to handle it, through environment, player agency, sometimes dialogue ( mostly reserved for more narrative oriented). Blending all these options with high quality production values and cinematic dialogue system is pretty damn impressive.

Peaceful vs. violent approach seems more about getting extra rewards for former.

Haven't played enough of main story but it seems how you resolve missions sometimes opens up different quests, and it influences the ending. ( which tbh is more than what you get in most crpgs, except for extremely short variant like AoD).

Overall strong step up over Witcher and better than in most crpgs: would've been terrific if they were more creative with some additional perks/cyberware and given more personality dialogue options.

Loostreaks

I can get over how bad the voice acting for Johnny Silverhand is. Really jarring.
He isn't bad at all, and did a better job than I expected. Still my first pick would be actual singers with "memorable" voice like Lemmy or Dio ( if both of them were not rocking in hell, currently :messenger_winking: )
Finished the game yesterday. ~43 hours total, completing most of the sidequests while ignoring some gigs and street fights.

I had 1 CTD, 3 instances where I had to restart a checkpoint and a very minor number of non-intrusive visual glitches.

These guys will have my money day 1 for their next game as well.
I guess I'm a slow burner: 80 hours in, early Act 2 ( only with Judy's mission and brief with Takamura)did most gigs for Regina and Wakaka, almost none for other fixers. Avoided all NCPD tasks and did a few side missions done.
I expect at least about 150 hours to finish main story and all side content.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Keanu was better than I expected. He had a real aggressiveness in his voice that you don't usually associate with him. More open with his anger than in say, John Wick.

Starfield

I really like the photo mode but the camera settings are GROSS. It seems like there isn't a compeletly "free cam" option which is really annoying since the cam is always kind of tethered to your body.

is there some bug or glitch I can use to truly get a "free cam" mode?

RyRy93

So this game on Stadia is like the PS4 Pro version but without the jet engines in the background, double the frame rate and no crashes.

I was expecting blockiness in dark areas and an obvious drop in image quality but it looks great.

Just got the platinum on PS5, loved it!
Ep6oCODWMAEy323

Unreal grind for the cars lmao

Can't wait to see what's next in terms of content and of course the next-gen upgrade!
Did you do it with or without exploits?

Komatsu

So this game on Stadia is like the PS4 Pro version but without the jet engines in the background, double the frame rate and no crashes.

I was expecting blockiness in dark areas and an obvious drop in image quality but it looks great.

It plays great on Stadia. And given the amount of chatter about how well the game runs on the platform, it seems Google finally has a feather on the service’s cap.

Komatsu

There are so many nice looking guns but you can't hold onto all of them. How do you guys manage inventory?

Im level 10 now and I get mostly green and odd blue level weapons.

Should I just keep dismantling the greens?

Dismantle all the lower tier pieces, and don’t forget to add at least one point to the relevant perk - you’ll eventually become a crafting powerhouse.

harmny

Banned

no boots i think
but you get them from fingers and he is angry with me so i can't try them

but there is a cyberdeck that does that. berseker i think

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I finished the main story last night. I have 40 hours of playtime total on PC. I left a lot of the side missions. I kind of want to go back to them now since the game is so much fun, but also am debating just saving them for when the game is fully updated and doing a fresh and complete 2nd playthrough.

I've been looking forward to the game for awhile but I did not follow any of the marketing. I also did not watch many videos. I like to go into games fresh. I'm not sure what promises and hype they created beforehand since a lot of people seem to be complaining about "missing" stuff. Just playing the game for what it is I really enjoyed every hour of it.

Good stuff:
-The city is amazing looking and they really put a lot of love into crafting it. The place is huge, unique and interesting to drive through. These are the best graphics I have seen and some of the set peices like the parade were amazing to take in.
-The gunplay is really fun. I like all the different weapons. I settled on mostly using sniper rifles and a double barrel shotfun. I spec'd into tech heavy and it was fun running down halls and shotgunning people in the head quickly with a charged up shotgun.
-The story and characters really drew me in. Characters like Johnny, River, Panam, Rogue, etc. were all very interesting.
-I didn't really hit any game breaking bugs. The occasional graphics glitch you'd expect from these types of games. No crashes or anything horrible.
-A lot of the earlier reviews I read didn't like Keanu's performance, but I thought he did a great job.

Bad stuff:
-While I like the dense crowds and they do a good job making the city feel busy, but people are pretty braindead.
-The cop and traffic AI. Nothing more needs to be said.
-There are a lot of vendors on the streets but you can't talk to them. Would be nice if they sold stuff. I walked up to a bartender once and he told me to fuck off. Great service!
-Similiar to vendors there are a lot of interesting looking clubs and buildings you can hear music and stuff going on inside at, but the front door is always locked. I don't think every building should be enterable, but a greater number then what they did would be nice.
-Some of the cars feel super floaty and are hard to drive.
-So many guns. I spent a lot of time breaking junky loot down to material even with the perk to do that since it doesn't do guns/armor.
-I think most of the shards you pick up are lore to read? I stopped reading them after the first dozen or so. I picked up all the ones I saw after though. Maybe I can go back and sift through them. I just hate it when game throw tons of documents all over the place and you have to stop and read them in the middle of gameplay. There should be a better way of delivering that information.
-Needs a barbershop/transmog system badly.

The game itself is great and they created a nice city map. The story, character and shooting were the most important things to me and I feel they excelled there. They just need a few more updates to bring the city more to life. I'd probably give the game around a 9.5 right now. They could get it up to a 10 and make it something really special with a little bit more work. I'll give it a slight nod over Witcher 3 due to liking the combat in Cyberpunk a lot more then W3.

YoodlePro

Don’t you have your nudity filter on by accident? I’ve seen a lot of nudity on ps5, joytoys without underwear on standing on Jig-Jig street for example... The nun is getting boned by a demon on my posters...
ah ok so it's not censored. may I ask what market you're from?

D-Dude

ah ok so it's not censored. may I ask what market you're from?
I am from EU, Netherlands. Bought the game digital. No, it is not censored on Playstation. You do have the option though trough a nudity filter, which is a slide in the options menu. I think all platforms have this. The game also has a copyright filter for streamers (hence the nudity filter too)

The game also has full
dismemberment

Last edited:

Earthbound!

Neo Member
Maybe off topic and weird to post a discussion from somewhere else. But did I do good?

Right now they're claiming a patch on the 21st will magically fix everything, but when it doesn't they will look like shitlords again for ruining Christmas with retailers once again refusing returns on open games. I mean, forget about stop digging when you're in a hole; they seriously want to be buried alive at this point.
It’s the most generous return/refund policy ever offered that I’m aware of. That’s enough for me to view them as genuinely trying to address the situation. Shitlords continuing to dig themselves deeper? Seems over dramatic and cruel. Trying to release all platforms at once was a foolish mistake but I don’t think much more than a mistake. I’ll still take what they tried to create, what we got so far, and what we could eventually get (given their handling of Witcher 3 improvements) over deceptive micro transaction laden cash grabs for which the official return policy is “got ya sucker, now give us more.” Not just the return policy, a key component of the game design and primary reason for its existence...all this vitriol is better directed at that exploitative cancerous crap in my opinion.

No it’s not them being generous, if they didn’t offer refunds they would of gotten another class action lawsuit. This is a multi billion dollar corporation, them releasing a broken game wasn’t a “mistake”, they did it because the investors literally pushed them to and gave them no other choice, and in their eyes it’s better to be in trouble with the consumer rather than the investors. Not sure why people are making so many excuses for them “oh poor billion dollar company doesn’t know what they’re doing! ):” lol yeah right
I said it’s a generous offer, which it is. What more would you want now that the game is already released? They delayed the game twice? three times? Seems to me like a genuine effort to improve it. Another delay would have also caused huge fallout. At that point, yes, shitty elements probably forced the release for all platforms when it should have been further delayed or a staggered release, but I don’t think that makes them all shitlords. They still created an ambitious, unique and compelling product. Again, I think vitriol like that should be reserved for products where everyone working on them knowingly just create exploitative or deceptive cash grabs. The company is still relatively new as a top tier AAA developer and only went public in 2018. I could see that changing some dynamics, bringing in more influencers making decisions for financial reasons than they used to have. Allowing their voice to win out was a mistake. Was the intent all along to deceptively market then release a subpar product and cash in on foolish customers? I don’t think so, and personally that would be the only type of product I would feel comfortable in crapping on the years of work that still did go into it. When’s the last time we got a new entrant into the AAA development space, and from a country with no other large studios?

I think you should google the definition of the word “generous”. They did not offer refunds until their hand was forced. It’s like if a restaurant served you a raw steak and then gave you a refund for it, would you call them generous? No the steak shouldn’t have been raw in the first place.
Was the game a scam the whole time? Maybe for the developers it wasn’t but from managements perspective it feels like it. Once again, they are a multi BILLION dollar corporation. Everything they do is calculated.
Generous: showing a readiness to give more of something, as money or time, than is strictly necessary or expected.

They have offered full refunds for the PC version, which is perfectly functional and highly praised by most accounts, and they did it pretty much immediately? Not sure how you could argue that was necessary. Being ambitious with creating a brand new ip rather than just milking the Witcher annually ubi-style, or adding paywalls and micro-transactions was also more than expected of a multi billion dollar company coldly calculating all decisions. All the physical and digital extras with the game (the equivalent or better than a $120 BS Ubisoft or EA Gold / Ultimate edition) I would also say are generous. Were the first few delays in the midst of the COVID pandemic calculated as part of some corporate scheme to generate hype? Not everything always goes according to plan, and when it came time that another delay was probably necessary, they said no, we can’t delay again, it’s good enough, release it and we will fix it more later like everyone else does. That seems the most likely explanation for how things played out, not some nefarious scheme.

I just think the hate and negative impact to many’s livelihoods is out of proportion, especially when it seems to me they had good intentions with the product they were / are trying to create, and their positive past history of generous improvements and support with the Witcher 3. Just got released before it should of for too many platforms at once, the worst of which are un-optimized and buggy, but that’s certainly nothing new. I welcome this new precedent that Sony has set though, if it applies to all going forward. No more games released until they are complete and ready.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wtf, I just saw an NPC walking with an umbrella when it was raining.
What is the deal with rain anyway? 70 hours in at it seems 100% scripted to happen at certain missions, and to stop +2 ingame hours [or something] after the mission ends.

There's no dynamic rain whatsoever, it seems.

What is the deal with rain anyway? 70 hours in at it seems 100% scripted to happen at certain missions, and to stop +2 ingame hours [or something] after the mission ends.

I saw it raining once just cruising through town. The sky had a weird yellow hue that made it look like acid rain.

Dries

I’ve had rain during free roaming before. I guess it’s just extremely rare.

I don't think I've ever seen this. So, maybe it *is* something programmed in, but bugged so that NPCs aren't using them when they should?

Yes, maybe.

allymonty

Neo Member
This might be an obvious one that I've missed but can anyone explain the "Special" clothing slot? Anything I have in there appears to have no armour value and when I equip it it simply locks all my other slots. I don't understand what it's for

iorek21

The fistfight against the feminist is one of the worst designed fights I’ve ever encountered in games.

Actually, fistfighting in this game sucks balls, why have this shit instead of racing and other kinds of minigames?

cryptoadam

Banned
Its funny for me to see so many people praising the city. Thats the worst part of the game. But thats probably because I am on PS4.

I am maybe still early just got to the bad lands, but from what I have seen from the city in both night and day it is not impressive, ugly, and empty. Oh and gotta love the lame car spawning since the PS4 can't handle different cars so all you get are the same 4 cars on the screen.

City and atmosphere is the worst part of the game for me. I am digging the upgrades and shooting. Melee is OP but basic. Maybe you can unlock some more combos later on not sure.

CDPR did last gen really dirty I am jealous of everyone with beefy PCs.

Cyberpunkd

I got one of these huge rifles, don’t know the name in English but in French it has ‘light’ in its weapon type lol.

Made it to Act 2, I will probably keep at it with Body/Hacking build, although I am not using hacking for much outside getting Eddies, on Normal difficulty enemies die too quickly.

Maybe with next-gen patch I will replay as Male V with Tech/Stealth melee build.

Last edited:
I need new game plus for the love of god. I've beaten the game three times over. doing every gig every crime. Please I love this game! I NEED NEW GAME PLUS!
Damn son, how many hours you got logged?

I've just clocked 61 hours and I'm still only 45% through the "main" story missions (according to the inventory screen). Just started "Ghost Town".

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

It usually changes weather when you're indoors, but sometimes it doesn't and it just stops in a single frame which is weird. They haven't hammered out the transitions. Still better than Spider-Man where everything is 100% static.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Its funny for me to see so many people praising the city. Thats the worst part of the game. But thats probably because I am on PS4.

I am maybe still early just got to the bad lands, but from what I have seen from the city in both night and day it is not impressive, ugly, and empty. Oh and gotta love the lame car spawning since the PS4 can't handle different cars so all you get are the same 4 cars on the screen.

City and atmosphere is the worst part of the game for me. I am digging the upgrades and shooting. Melee is OP but basic. Maybe you can unlock some more combos later on not sure.

CDPR did last gen really dirty I am jealous of everyone with beefy PCs.

I started on Xbox then moved to PC. I thought the city was really empty and flat on XB. It really is a different game on PC. The lighting, textures and crowd density are all a huge step up in making the city better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom