• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYBERPUNK 2077 |OT2| The Last Samurai [>56K Warning_]

SJRB

Gold Member
game sometimes makes no sense...takedowns from the sky where you splat someone brains on the asphalt is "non lethal", but if you make someone unconscious and then dispose of the body in a dumpster, THEN it's considered lethal for some reason
Pretty sure this is related to the bug where indeed the game counts bodies hidden in objects as kills, even when they're unconscious.

Loostreaks

Lethal and non lethal doesn't seem to matter. It doesn't affect my enjoyment but it is kind of silly.
I wouldn't want some kind of humanity/moral "meter", but this is one aspect of the game where it could actually use police system. So if you go in gun blazing, raise the alarm, you'd have a lot harder time on the way out: either police/swat team shows up or reinforcements for one of the gangs.
Mafia III had pretty basic gameplay and missions, but best fun in the game was when things went wrong and you find yourself running through the alleyways, switching cars, everyone on your tail.
It would be great if they added something like Odyssey's mercenary system, as you get bounty on your head: Psychosquad or elite gang members going after you throughout the game. ( and you could pay it off)
The game would really benefit from one big DLC completely focused on crime/factions/emergent gameplay and street cred. ( imo, better than CDPR listening to demands of adding pointless mini games)

Majukun

made the mistake to buy a legendary cyberdeck and finally equipping all those quick hacks that i found so far...now i'm basically a god and with no skilltree investment....as long as you don't care being discreet you find ONE camera and everyone is already dead

seems another gameplay design aspect of the game the dev put NO THOUGHT AT ALL into.
they probably could have avoided allowing you to hack through security cameras..that really brokes the whole system of "hackers as mages"

also they really should have required heavy investment to be this effective..right now i only invested heavely on the crafting tree and nothing else, yet i'm a god gunner that kills everything in his path and now also an unstoppable netrunner

Last edited:

Braag

Legendary items never should have random stats/slots in the first place. Slots especially need to be fixed.
Yeah, legendaries should have fixed stats, it's weird to have RNG on them if they end up being really bad, not exactly a "legendary" weapon/clothing then.
Also they need to add the missing legendary clothing in the game. They have for example a full "Nomad" set except for pants. Or a full "Media" set except for shoes and jacket.
It's another aspect that just feels like they ran out of time.

Woggleman

It depends. There are some missions where you could tell everybody involved is scum like scavs who cut open innocent people to steal their cyberware so I kill them. There are also missions where I have to break somebody out of somewhere and I am dealing with people just doing their jobs and then I do non lethal.

nowhat

Letting the player decide if they want to take a target non-lethal, or blow them apart into a fine red mist, is less about arbitrary in-game mechanics, and more about letting the player express themselves.
Yeah. So what about the cyberpsycho-questline? Where I'm instructed to not kill them?

Which I tried to do. Which I almost completely nailed, but there's that one where (s)he (can't remember which) is fighting some baddies, and there was a random explosion. Collateral damage, I guess. But still, got them all.

And after that, I get to meet the quest giver in person. And she tells me that... yeah, I have no idea what's going on, glad you could bring most of them in alive, here's your tip. And that's it. That's literally it. It amounts to nothing.

Soulforge

Banned
For fuck sake, I just had the 'good'
Male V + Panam
and it's still sad af. I don't think I have it in me to try the 'bad' ending. Taking back my word and telling Johnny that I
give him the body
just broke my heart. And Panam's end credits video message
either, I mean she sounds like we broke up or is it just my depression making things up

Gp1

Is there a spoiler thread of something?

I did the "Arasaka" ending and
it is completely aligned with what we heard from the game development. Very bittersweet...
I didn't feel too connected with Panam neither fell too comfortable to go with Johny's solution.

And i even got a bug on the credits, or it's a sign that i should go for another ending? :)

Jkn75lG.png

Last edited:

Exentryk

Haven't noticed any difference on PC with the new patch. But I haven't had any issues with the game either, so all good.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

Just want to say I'm really digging this game a lot! Just finished the
Saul rescue
mission. Holy crap is that
sniper rifle
you get OP!

Question: I'm finding a lot of doors all over the map that say [LOCKED] when you approach them, but it doesn't give you a skill requirement to get in. Just say's locked. Are these enter-able somehow? Is it that you need to find keys of some kind, or something else? I'm finding them inside bases and also randomly all over the city (and outside the city too).

Exentryk

Question: I'm finding a lot of doors all over the map that say [LOCKED] when you approach them, but it doesn't give you a skill requirement to get in. Just say's locked. Are these enter-able somehow? Is it that you need to find keys of some kind, or something else? I'm finding them inside bases and also randomly all over the city (and outside the city too).
No, those doors can't be entered.

Exentryk

Good resource for what is and isn't working

Nice to see some of those level 20 perks fixed. Gonna give a big boost to my build.

Edit: Got too excited. The handguns level 20 perk still does not work.

Edit 2: The Cool one works though. Nice!

Edit 3: Actually, these two level 20 perks only work once when you learn it, but reloading your save after that will make them stop working. =/

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
For fuck sake, I just had the 'good'
Male V + Panam
and it's still sad af. I don't think I have it in me to try the 'bad' ending. Taking back my word and telling Johnny that I
give him the body
just broke my heart. And Panam's end credits video message
either, I mean she sounds like we broke up or is it just my depression making things up

Loostreaks

Agreed. With clothing it should be a default of: -

uncommon 0/1 slots
Rare 1/2 slots
Epic 2/3 Slots
Legendary 3/4 slots

(As upper body inner and outer has one extra slot)

None of this legendary quality...zero slots BS
I'm seeing it as reverse: Higher "tier" gear should have less/no customization options, but higher stats and unique properties. So instead you'd have a very flexible, horizontal gear system where even starter gear can be used for end game: higher weight means higher protection, but negatively impacts stealth, speed and stamina consumption/regen.
So glass cannon/netrunner/stealth builds would use light clothing, while straightforward combat builds would go with heavy duty gear ( like Militech soldiers), with a few perks in Athletics skill that reduce these penalties.
And instead of using "Legendary/Epic/etc" nonsense, you'd have manufacturer tags, or something origin/faction related ( Black Market, Military, tc).
This game really didn't need any levelled gear/npc system ( Cyberpunk 2020 was known exactly for not having any levels).
You can see whoever designed this, didn't really think ahead since they added a truckload of gear options, without considering this design quickly makes most of it obsolete. ( compared to Witcher III, where Witcher sets were, aesthetically and in terms of stats, far superior to all the pot bellied human armors).
I've no idea why CDPR insists on using these MMO itemization systems ( poorly designed, but for a reason: to incentivize grind, so that hamsters can keep on spinning the wheel and paying monthly subscription): it absolutely makes no sense or serves any purpose here.
With single player rpgs the best itemization systems are always the simplest ones.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I'm seeing it as reverse: Higher "tier" gear should have less/no customization options, but higher stats and unique properties. So instead you'd have a very flexible, horizontal gear system where even starter gear can be used for end game: higher weight means higher protection, but negatively impacts stealth, speed and stamina consumption/regen.
So glass cannon/netrunner/stealth builds would use light clothing, while straightforward combat builds would go with heavy duty gear ( like Militech soldiers), with a few perks in Athletics skill that reduce these penalties.
And instead of using "Legendary/Epic/etc" nonsense, you'd have manufacturer tags, or something origin/faction related ( Black Market, Military, tc).
This game really didn't need any levelled gear/npc system ( Cyberpunk 2020 was known exactly for not having any levels).
You can see whoever designed this, didn't really think ahead since they added a truckload of gear options, without considering this design quickly makes most of it obsolete. ( compared to Witcher III, where Witcher sets were, aesthetically and in terms of stats, far superior to all the pot bellied human armors).
I've no idea why CDPR insists on using these MMO itemization systems ( poorly designed, but for a reason: to incentivize grind, so that hamsters can keep on spinning the wheel and paying monthly subscription): it absolutely makes no sense or serves any purpose here.
With single player rpgs the best itemization systems are always the simplest ones.

giphy.gif

Holgren

Is this game playable on PS4? I want to buy a new game and this one looks fun. I don't mind the super glitchy stuff but if the framerate sucks then I prefer not to buy it.

Hugare

Just finished the game

Went with the Fast and Furious ending, if you know what I mean

Was pretty satisfied with it. Very emotional. Felt canon to me. Have some small nitpicks, but for the most part it was excellent.

Tried to do the secret ending a few times, but damn its hard. Got my ass kicked pretty soon. Will try it again later. Having to go through a lot of dialogue everytime is a bore.

Also, Panam is best girl and its not even close, goddamn. Want to replay as female V, but not being able to romance Panam will be the death of me.

Loved the game, but I felt that the main story / sidequests ratio was too unneven.

I think that I've spent 60h in sidequests and 10h in main quests, and thats simply absurd. It took away the urgency that the story demanded.

"You could have done main quests only, you know?". Nah, if you played the game, you know that's no true. Sidequests were really important to develop characters that appear during the story. They feel essential.
And they kinda are, in order to get most endings.

I would have preffered a meatier main story, and less sidequests. Gigs already does a good job of increasing gameplay time if you want to.

2AdEPT

On PS5 I still had two crashes in 4 hours last night....patch didnt seem to help at all. Running out of stuff to do, final Kerry stuff, only a few police GIGs two beat on the brat fights and the whole races stuff...none of which Im motivated to do which is why its last :p I dont know why I didnt find it earlier but the short funny gig where you come acrosss a guy with an implant problem in his crotch area came up last night.....after 180 hours LOL. I am trying to extend the playthrough a bit by stacking my vehicles next to the AV landing pads near the water so I can tour the city on the AV's ...I didnt think of jumping on the AV in the Perelez quest (like an idiot I tried to jump IN the AV not ON) which I saw a streaner do and it worked so I want to try it myself now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is this game playable on PS4? I want to buy a new game and this one looks fun. I don't mind the super glitchy stuff but if the framerate sucks then I prefer not to buy it.
The game has shitty framerate on PS4 and a whole lot of other problems. Stay away.

The game is a lot of fun, but it's best played on a modern PC, Stadia, or GeForce Now.

regawdless

Banned
Slowly but surely, that fake urgency is getting on my nerves.

Even in many side quests, it's shoved in your face. But we all know that nothing bad happens and that you can take your sweet time.

It's so stupid. The game is designed for you to do tons and tons of side quests, run around exploring the world, with so much stuff to do that is totally contrary to the "urgency" theme that's being pushed on the player.

If you want the player to experience urgency and push it with your story, do a linear game. Don't design the game so the player does the exact opposite of the theme your pushing with your story.

SJRB

Gold Member
Slowly but surely, that fake urgency is getting on my nerves.

Even in many side quests, it's shoved in your face. But we all know that nothing bad happens and that you can take your sweet time.

It's so stupid. The game is designed for you to do tons and tons of side quests, run around exploring the world, with so much stuff to do that is totally contrary to the "urgency" theme that's being pushed on the player.

If you want the player to experience urgency and push it with your story, do a linear game. Don't design the game so the player does the exact opposite of the theme your pushing with your story.
Agreed! I had a similar feeling while playing RDR2, which is also this bizarre juxtaposition of the main narrative where things are often moving at breakneck speeds and you're always on the run and on the edge, and the vast open world you can explore freely however long you like.

Cyberpunk wants you to rush because the stakes are high and your player character's life is literally on the line, but at the same time punishes you for it by a) levelgating [sort of] and b) having a remarkably short main quest with a ton of missable side content.

A lot of missions flow into the next one very organically, which is very nice from a narrative point of view. But gameplay-wise you're not supposed to do them back-to-back, which creates this confusing feeling.

One questline with Panam is the perfect example for me. You do a quest with Panam to find some info on some guy and in the end you get his location, he's in a tunnel somewhere. You probably know the mission. Anyway, you get the info, and Panam is like "allright let's go" and you think "sure why not, I'm here now, I'm pumped, let's do this", so you move organically into the next quest. Only this mission was for a much higher level so out of nowhere the enemies in this mission all had skull icons and I was getting bodied left and right. So I had to reload an earlier save and abandon the questline until I reached a higher level. [there is no "abandon quest" option as far as I'm aware]

This happens on multiple occasions during the game. At least during my playthrough. I really hate urgency-related quests in open world games.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

Agreed! I had a similar feeling while playing RDR2, which is also this bizarre juxtaposition of the main narrative where things are often moving at breakneck speeds and you're always on the run and on the edge, and the vast open world you can explore freely however long you like.

Cyberpunk wants you to rush because the stakes are high and your player character's life is literally on the line, but at the same time punishes you for it by a) levelgating [sort of] and b) having a remarkably short main quest with a ton of missable side content.

A lot of missions flow into the next one very organically, which is very nice from a narrative point of view. But gameplay-wise you're not supposed to do them back-to-back, which creates this confusing feeling.

One questline with Panam is the perfect example for me. You do a quest with Panam to find some info on some guy and in the end you get his location, he's in a tunnel somewhere. You probably know the mission. Anyway, you get the info, and Panam is like "allright let's go" and you think "sure why not, I'm here now, I'm pumped, let's do this", so you move organically into the next quest. Only this mission was for a much higher level so out of nowhere the enemies in this mission all had skull icons and I was getting bodied left and right. So I had to reload an earlier save and abandon the questline until I reached a higher level. [there is no "abandon quest" option as far as I'm aware]

This happens on multiple occasions during the game. At least during my playthrough. I really hate urgency-related quests in open world games.
It was the same with the witcher to some extent... You need to save Ciri ASAP.... So how about a gwent game, or let's hunt this monster? But true, there the main story line was much longer so it wasn't that bad. Even doing only main story was good. Here you can get "go see Hanako at Embers" by accident.

Not only there are not many main quests, but also they are not very complex. Was there any quest going on for a longer time, where you could just take a break and go into open world, go back to the sidequests etc? In the witcher there was a lot of that, and it worked much better with the open world. Even if it also was contrary to the urgency of the main storyline. In cyberpunk you do a one main quest and bang you are in the next chapter.

It makes me wonder if it was indeed their decision (because they were saying many times that the main story is shorter), or stuff got cut out from the main story.

I just came from seeing this video of a person explaining what ROLE PLAYING truly is, and she gives you insight about the supposed "non-existant RPG elements" some people claim about the game. For reference, this is from a person who knows really too much about the Cyberpunk lore, and who've been playing the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG since her childhood.

I totally agree with her, and that is exactly how I've approached the game as a person who also played the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG back then. Listen to what she says, closely.

2AdEPT

I just came from seeing this video of a person explaining what ROLE PLAYING truly is, and she gives you insight about the supposed "non-existant RPG elements" some people claim about the game. For reference, this is from a person who knows really too much about the Cyberpunk lore, and who've been playing the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG since her childhood.

I totally agree with her, and that is exactly how I've approached the game as a person who also played the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG back then. Listen to what she says, closely.

I was saying the exact same thing a few pages back; people cant dump on the RPG aspect of this game if they dont actually havea role playing desire to speak of to try out...this isnt uncharted where all you have is the movie cut scenes, there are all kids of dialogue choices and builds, and most importantly a HUGE sandbox to play in where you can make your role playing dreams come true. Im off to go AV riding. All I think I need to do is take over a huge truck...it shouldbe tall enough to get me on theAV pads down by the water.

Exentryk

Think I've exhausted all the side jobs. Only ones remaining are the Cyberpsycho quest (which I'm keen to keep around for build testing) and the Skippy return to owner quest (don't want to give Skippy away).

The Us Cracks stuff was decent, though it would have been nice to see them perform.

Anyway, some images:

lrIULEh.jpg

02nF00w.jpg

UwYgLrd.jpg

Makariel

I'm now at the point where I wait for the DLC (or that an RTX card is available for a reasonable price, hah!) for more Cyberpunk. The first game where I would really like to play with RTX on.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm now at the point where I wait for the DLC (or that an RTX card is available for a reasonable price, hah!) for more Cyberpunk. The first game where I would really like to play with RTX on.

Yeah, I'm forlornly looking to see if any 3000 series cards are available atm but my heart is kind of set on getting a 3070/3080Ti as given I also use my Rig for work...I really want the extra RAM for Photoshop (I work with absurdly sized images), but can't really justify a 3090 (especially given the marginal performance gain against the 3080)

Dha6oVOXUAAXwFO.jpg

I need that 4K Night City goodness.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
It's pretty crazy how many characters and stories are in this game. And it's full of interesting stuff, once you've advanced the main story a bit and done some side quests. While there are a good number of quick in and out missions, there are also ones with really cool stories, dialogues and characters. It's a very good balance of both.

And the game isn't afraid to really go places. A lot of fucked up, really dark stuff.

I just had a side mission that was quite bizarre. Don't want to spoil it. Let's say I pretty much nailed it at the end.

Last edited:
I was saying the exact same thing a few pages back; people cant dump on the RPG aspect of this game if they dont actually havea role playing desire to speak of to try out...this isnt uncharted where all you have is the movie cut scenes, there are all kids of dialogue choices and builds, and most importantly a HUGE sandbox to play in where you can make your role playing dreams come true. Im off to go AV riding. All I think I need to do is take over a huge truck...it shouldbe tall enough to get me on theAV pads down by the water.

Ding ding ding. Keep playing like this, keep enjoying the shit out of it, by truly roleplaying. Replay the shit out of it too with your multiple V personalities; meanwhile, let the clueless and confused crowd drown themselves with RPG elements' argument.

Here comes my long take. Anyone who wanna "wake the fuck up samurai", or who didn't fully get what the video was trying to explain, let me give you an insight to that approach:

-The game leans toward a PnP flow more than anyone gives it for granted, although with its limitations, of course. Think of it like if the game is trying to be your Game Master who tells you a story and you decide how you mold your character around it. You need to think outside the game, and don't let the game take you by the hands.

If you wanna choose a Streetkid lifepath, you can make up your mind that your V's street kid had an alliance with the Valentinos and hate the 66th gang, so be it. You can go as far as to not go against the Valentinos, and do any mission the Valentinos may give you against 66th eagerly. You can go as far as to ignore any side mission that could benefit the 66th or a fixer related to that gang; just because your V feels like it. You may even do side missions to favor the 66th gang, which you hate the most, just for your own benefit, so later you can stab them in the back in another mission.

Although, there are not predetermined consequences for doing it so, because the game doesn't have a gang reputation system; but it doesn't mean you cannot roleplay around your V. You have all the liberty to approach it how you like. It may look like an illusion, but that is what role-playing has always been. You may not watch nor experience all the missions within a single playthrough by taking this kind of approach, but you may be more inmersed, and still be able to do those other missions you missed with another playthrough, playing a different V.

THE DIALOGUES:

Every single dialogue counts to mold your V as you wish. If you wanna be an asshole, be an asshole. If you don't care about Judy, don't care about Judy. The dialogues are quite subtle and pretty well written and placed in order to make V as how you dream about. Of course, DO NOT CONFUSE not caring about Judy to not doing the main campaign missions with her, you are bound to it by the Game Master (the game). The game actually gives you the dialogue options to give a shit about Judy, even to betray her.

The lifepath & the attribute dialogue options are just for that, molding your V as how you dream about inside the Cyberpunk lore. You wanna make sure your V knows tons of shit about Nomads and engineering stuff?? then select those dialogues when prompted. As I said, the game is subtle and accurate as to when those special options show up.

Regarding consequences. It is waaay moreeeeee subtle than you think. Light spoiler about an Act 2 mission below:

So let's say your V gives a flying fuck about Evelyn. Your V always rode that BBC of Dexter Deshawn because he was the real chance to get you into "Major Leagues", according the game, so your V was fully loyal to him. The moment Evelyn begged you di shady business behund Dexter, basically to betray Dexter, a sudden hate and suspicion toward her awoke inside your V. Your V was so dickriding Dexter that you even told him that Evelyn wanted to make her own deals behind his back. So after all the shit that happened after the Heist, the moment you got to find Evelyn inside Clouds ( just out of pure desperation for remaining alive, obviously because she was the only available resource at that moment that could give you information about the path to save your own misery life after the failed Heist mission) you may find or may not find out, depending whether you inquire into it enough, that she almost got flatlined by no others than the Voodo Boys.

So you giving a fuck about what happened to Evelyn, could've blinded your judgement and you could've totally missed over the additional dialogues that give you information about where her room was exactly, in order to further investigate.

- You could've gone directly to the russian guy after "Angel" mentioned him.

- You could've totally believed some piece of shit customer beat her almost to death as people around Cloud believed it to be, if you didn't get into that room.

- You could've even found her room by acting stealthy without having a conversation with anyone yet.

Keep in mind, this is all additional, but important.

To end this, the real consequence here is not Evelyn at all. It is that you found out that the motherfucking Voodo Boys were all behind it. It changes perspective regarding who the Voodo Boys truly are; you are alerted by this. Maybe the moment you go to Pacifica to find the Voodo Boys, your V may have her/his mind set not trust the Voodo Boys at all. Maybe your V goes there fully decided to kill the Voodo Boys if things really get out of control (after getting the information needed for your own survival as a priority), if giving the option to do so. This decision could partly be made out of pure vengeance because you grew pity of Evelyn in the end; or you can even play as another V where you had a crush on Evelyn since the moment you met her (My Nomad. V had never met such am elegant and sexy woman back when living as a Nomand in the desert, oh wow), but you couldn't do love with her cause Voodo Boys are the main reason she got killed.

Maybeeeee.... You never grew fond of Evelyn, because she is the reason you got fucked over with the chip inside your head to begin with, and in the end you partly decided to spare the Voodo Boys as a token for having basically killed her, because she being death satisfies your V; that bitch! Evelyn Parker and her smelly plans behind scene..

This is what I mean with role-playing. Think outside the box, analize the game, the dialogues; and it all makes sense. Dialogues don't have consequences? BULLSHIT.

Now, the main problem with the role-playing aspect is that knowing the world-lore is key. The more you know about the universe, the more convincing you role-play with your character is. Sadly, the game doesn't do a great job with passive lore; this is what the youtuber from the video above complains about. However, I'll definitely recommend watching many of her videos. She has hours and hours of inmersive lore content about the Cyberpunk universe in her channel.

Another problem she points out is the sense of urgency and the point of no return of the main campaign which affects the role-playing approach. Also, another complain is with the lifepath beginning being too short and light in lore, in order to have better insight about your character past & beginnings.

Basically, that is it. It may sound crazyyyyy shit, but playing the game this way makes perfect sense if you have experience in role-playing.

Last edited:

2AdEPT

Unfortuntely some guy on you tube beat me to the AV pad and did all four AV's using a big truck just like I envisioned...there is an invvisible wall but you can still jump in front of the AV's and clip on to them but its really hard and frustrating....all AV's dont go very far unfortunately regardless so I quit that one. BUt I was trying to jump on AV's from the monorail when I discovered that I didnt give the monorail enough of a chance when I thought it blocked me. A double jump gets you through most obstructions, and a detour on a thin rail and a sneak duck under artifcats got me through two others. I was able to walk the monorail all the way from the city centre where you See the Roy Batty easter egg, south and west through japan town, north and then back east accross the brdige to Kabuki and eventually to china city only a few blocks form V's apartment. WIll try the other direction tonight using the new strategies. Unfortunaltey you always trigger rain when getting up there by ROy....I think there are other ways though...try it yourself! :p

Top Bottom