• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - to drop PS4 & XB1 and go PC, PS5 & XSX or not?

Would you prefer CDPR to drop the current consoles and go next gen only with Cyberpunk?

• No way. PS4&XB1+PC with updates for PS5&XSX.

Votes: 130 56.5%
  • Yes, drop PS4&XB1 go for PC+PS5&XSX for best possible version of the game.

Votes: 100 43.5%

• Total voters
So there is a lot of discussion around about the current gen tech holding back games. I personally want cyberpunk to be the best version of the game that it can be and its the kind of game I don’t care if it gets continually delayed because it needs to be just right.

If you chose option two to drop PS4 and XB1 would you care I’d this caused a further delay to the game? What if the only way to make this happen would be to have a further delay?

What we’ve been seeing in the media lately is definitely the game running on a 2080ti PC and I don’t think the current gen consoles can keep up and it will be really interesting to see what sort of things those consoles are causing to be held back in the game. For example they wanted to have fully destructible environments but the consoles couldn’t hold up to that so it might just have slightly destructible. Could CDPR go fully destructible if they went next gen only?

Personally I’m planning to play the game on PS5 but I do want to experience the best version of the game so I may end up having to upgrade my PC to play it... and in truth it’s really impossible to make any kind of proper decision about how much the current gen will “hold back” the game until we see how paired down it gets because of it.

Hopefully the game engine has been built with scalability in mind (which I believe it has) so we can still get a glimpse of that top end look on our current gen consoles.

Kagey K

Banned
Never going to happen.

Too much money invested in the game as it is already and cross gen games have been a thing since forever. All this wishful thinking of dropping current gen is never happening for games this far along the pipeline.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So there is a lot of discussion around about the current gen tech holding back games. I personally want cyberpunk to be the best version of the game that it can be and its the kind of game I don’t care if it gets continually delayed because it needs to be just right.

If you chose option two to drop PS4 and XB1 would you care I’d this caused a further delay to the game? What if the only way to make this happen would be to have a further delay?

What we’ve been seeing in the media lately is definitely the game running on a 2080ti PC and I don’t think the current gen consoles can keep up and it will be really interesting to see what sort of things those consoles are causing to be held back in the game. For example they wanted to have fully destructible environments but the consoles couldn’t hold up to that so it might just have slightly destructible. Could CDPR go fully destructible if they went next gen only?

Personally I’m planning to play the game on PS5 but I do want to experience the best version of the game so I may end up having to upgrade my PC to play it... and in truth it’s really impossible to make any kind of proper decision about how much the current gen will “hold back” the game until we see how paired down it gets because of it.

Hopefully the game engine has been built with scalability in mind (which I believe it has) so we can still get a glimpse of that top end look on our current gen consoles.

The closer we get to the next generation, the weirder and more nonsensical takes we get.

No one's going to give up hundreds of millions in revenue to please the next-gen purists.

Last edited:

Arun1910

You are confusing a professional developer with lots of experience and know how (CD project) with some fast put together team by Microsoft that is in a hurry and under pressure to deliver an AAA launchgame. CD project is on a whole other level than the non gamers that work at 343's
Pretty much this. Whilst current gen can hold back games, it isnt the only factor. In 343's case, its also the fact that their core design principles/art style/ and light render solution are just all sorts of fucked up.

Dropping current gen version would be equal to CDPR shooting themselves in foot without any reason. CP2077's full production started in 2016. Cancelling current gen versions won't magically change the core game design to take full advantage of the Zen 2 processors and SSD of next gen consoles.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Zero fucks about the last gen versions.

I don't have any real insight into how much they are/aren't holding the game back, so it's hard to answer this fairly, but since I am definitely getting this on PC, and my PC is fairly next-gen ready, I would probably prefer that was the target for which it was optimized.

If we want huge games from them, then current gen version must stay.

Hard to make the next game if this wont sell millions and millions. current gen = +150 million systems to sell to.

And it is too late to drop them anyway, so it would not really matter that much

Agent X

The game's already too far along in development for them to drop the PS4 and Xbox One at this point. Even though it might not run optimally on those machines (compared to PC or future consoles), the work has already been done, and people have been expecting this game for years. They'd lose a lot of potential sales, and people would be disgusted if they couldn't get this game for a system they already own.

If they create a sequel, then that would (and should) surely target PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Dorohedoro

Zero fucks about the last gen versions.

I don't have any real insight into how much they are/aren't holding the game back, so it's hard to answer this fairly, but since I am definitely getting this on PC, and my PC is fairly next-gen ready, I would probably prefer that was the target for which it was optimized.
Don't you mean "Zero fucks about the console versions.", since you're getting the PC version anyway?

Gediminas

Banned
it is practically 2 month from gold status and someone creating a topic if PS4 and Xb1 should be dropped?

i think the creator of the topic dropped on his head.

Vawn

Banned
Not sure it would make any difference this close to release. The game is already designed for PS4/XBO.

Astral Dog

If it was designed with the limitations of PS4ONE in mind and looks good i don't see good reason to drop those console versions.

Bartski

Gold Member
there were additional external parties hired after April '19 delay just to optimize the code so it can hit 30 fps on Xbone and base PS4. Together that's 150+ million consoles. There is no way such a decision has ever been on the table

A

Anal Wake

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine playing CP2077 on current-gen consoles will be like having sex with a condom. Somewhat fun, but still you feel that something is just not right.

I can't see them dropping the PS4 version.

K6ZTPMI.jpg

EruditeHobo

As far as I can tell, presuming this question basically requires a misunderstanding of how game development works... there's a zero percent chance they "drop" the PS4/XB1 versions, I don't think that even makes sense.

Last edited:
A

Anal Wake

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see them dropping the PS4 version.

K6ZTPMI.jpg
Of course they won’t, not when the install base of both PS4 and XO is over 150 mln users. But I’ll patiently wait for next-gen version of the game till next year.

VFXVeteran

Banned
You really can get away with this game on lower gen consoles. It's already developed on the PC platform. I think that we can forget about what they could do to game design if it wasn't out on the current gen consoles but I think the game is already going to push hardware to the limits. 2080Ti probably won't run the game @ ultra with 4k/60FPS. We can hope to get 4k/60 on 3000 series cards but that's not a given.

zeorhymer

Why would they? They've been in development for so long and it's about to come out. Why in the world would they scrap the PS4/XB and delay til the next gen? On top of that, they're going to be missing on millions of possible unit sales for an established base.

the_master

It is waaay too late for that. I wish they had targeted next gen from the get go, but they always planned current gen.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
cant see them ignoring the massive install base of PS4 and Xbox, Xbox one x version should be ok. Hope the patch comes early for those jumping to next gen.

PC will be great out of the gate.

Justin9mm

I know CDPR are supporting free upgrade versions for Series X and PS5 but do we know if those will virtually be available straight away?

Rumour PS5 dropping Nov 20th and CP2077 releases Nov 19th. If true, I want to be able to get my PS5 day 1 and play that next gen version.

Whatever date the PS5 releases, it will be so close to the release of Cyberpunk, I might as well wait. I somehow can't see how it wouldn't be supported straight away, that game could sell the next gen consoles alone.

Last edited:
wait and see.

I bought the Witcher 3 day one because of the Hype and the game was kinda boring with bad combat system.

so, again. Wait and see

MrFunSocks

Banned
oh ffs are we just going to have threads like this about every game now?

Dropping the current gen means delaying the game for another few years if you want it to "take advantage of the next gen consoles". Cyberpunk was not made with the next gen consoles in mind. Dropping the current gen doesn't magically get you a better game on next gen.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I know CDPR are supporting free upgrade versions for Series X and PS5 but do we know if those will virtually be available straight away?

Rumour PS5 dropping Nov 20th and CP2077 releases Nov 19th. If true, I want to be able to get my PS5 day 1 and play that next gen version.

Whatever date the PS5 releases, it will be so close to the release of Cyberpunk, I might as well wait. I somehow can't see how it wouldn't be supported straight away, that game could sell the next gen consoles alone.
The game will work on PS5 (not through backwards compatibility), but it will be a simple port to work on PS5 natively (any PS4 games from now also have to work on PS5).

CDPR said the upgrade with high quality features will come later.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
lolno

Not gonna happen in 1.000.000 years.

That's not how game development works. You can't just drop support for you lower end platform and immediately transform your game into truly NextGen experience.

Plus, why would they abandon insane PS4/xbone player base?

Forget it ppl. Just buy it on PC and enjoy years of free updates through MODding.

Top Bottom