• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - to drop PS4 & XB1 and go PC, PS5 & XSX or not?

Would you prefer CDPR to drop the current consoles and go next gen only with Cyberpunk?

• No way. PS4&XB1+PC with updates for PS5&XSX.

Votes: 130 56.5%
  • Yes, drop PS4&XB1 go for PC+PS5&XSX for best possible version of the game.

Votes: 100 43.5%

• Total voters

Justin9mm

The game will work on PS5 (not through backwards compatibility), but it will be a simple port to work on PS5 natively (any PS4 games from now also have to work on PS5).

CDPR said the upgrade with high quality features will come later.
There is no way I'll be able to wait, I guess maybe I'll get it in time for my second lifepath playthrough.

VFXVeteran

Banned
This is supposed to be THE next-gen game that all other games will compare to. It's been pushed enough. Needs to release ASAP.

CitizenX

Banned
A game that has been in dev. for over 5 yrs not being able to work the last couple gen consoles, are you serious? ANNND by working i mean an acceptable 30 fps since that is the benchmark.

Katajx

Gold Member
At some point you have to release a product and try to recoup dev costs.
They would be crazy to cut out the install base of current gen.

Also I’m getting tired of hearing
The whole Miyamoto bit about a delayed game can eventually be a good game.

I bet there were even more games than normal cancelled this gen because a project just wasn’t coming together.

Making it true “Next-Gen” on the Series X and PS5 won’t happen over night just from cancelling current gen.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
Isn’t there something like 150m current gen consoles and that’s before considering CDPRs significant PC following chomping at the bit.

I don’t see there being more than 15m PS5/Series X consoles sold before March/April.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Far too late. Development was done with them in mind, so the ports are gonna be there whether or not people want them. I'm sure they'll still move some units too. I'd also like to think that, for what they are, they'll be decent ports.

DonJorginho

Banned
If you're asking CDPR to drop current gen consoles, don't cry when they suffer significant losses and go bankrupt.

Besides this game was always designed with current gen limitations in mind, so not much will change at this stage anyway.

What a stupid thread, you'd think OP would have thought before he posted this shit.

Last edited:
I say drop the current gen consoles. It’s been years - when did the PS4 come out like 2013? 7 years ago. I have saved enough money in my piggy bank to buy a new console thanks - I don’t want that shit fuckin with this game which is clearly a next gen experience

Aggelos

How could they drop the PS4 and Xbox One version?

The game was originally meant to be released in April 2020. I have the World of Cyberpunk book and it says that the 1st Edition is an April release.
The Dark Horse Comics folks were projecting to finish their book by April 2020. They were anticipating an April release of the game.

Shaukdotdj

Wish it would but it would probably take years to get it up to spec to take advantage of the next Gen stuff properly given the size and scope of the game/assets.
They've got a lot more market to sell to if they support current Gen, it's just the smart move financially.

Didn’t CDPR say the next gen versions will be getting upgrades next year sometime, so even if you’re waiting for it to release on ps5 let’s say in the late holidays this year, it will just look like how it would on a PS4 is my understanding. Unless I’m wrong someone can correct me.

ZywyPL

Banned
The game has been year in the making, dropping the PS4/XB1 versions when they are 99% complete, without delaying the game for another year or two to really get the best out of next-gen hardware would make absolutely no sense.

Dibils2k

its too late in development for them to drop current gen and it having any positive impact on design of the game lol

what i wish was that the next gen upgrades was available day one :(

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'd have them drop it but it'll never happen. they'd be stupid to do it.

i'm getting it on PC so will get the best version anyway.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

sxodan

Can't see the point in dropping the current-gen versions with only two and a half months before the release date.

GymWolf

Doesn't matter what i want, there is no chance in hell of not having the current gen version of this game.

But yeah if it was for me i woukd cancel the current gen version, it's clearly gonna have a craig effect on the real potential of the game.

Last edited:
Dropping current gen support would be financial suicide, so that`s not going to happen.

But we may see substantial next-gen upgrades to the game post launch given the release-timing.

Shubh_C63

Would prefer to drop the old gen like old newspaper. A Console will last around 5-8 years, well worth the investment if you play a lot.

In reality, Not. Gonna. Happen
Unless CDPR likes shooting themselves in the foot.

CrysisFreak

Banned
There is no way they would break even if they reduced their potential audience by 130 million current-gen owners.
Just financially, it's not viable I believe.

I'm obviously not speaking for everyone, but I think a lot of people (myself included) will be picking up CyberPunk as a PS5 or Series X launch title. I don't want to experience the game for the first time on a gimped box. I can already imagine the texture pop-in and slowdown... I think the boosted experience without load times will do the game justice.

I'm also going to wait to play Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us Part II on PS5. I have enough to play and finish until then, so I can call them my launch titles too. I'm curious what the boosted modes will look like.

cormack12

Gold Member
There's no point. The design of the game will be built around those consoles. You'd be going back to square one for fundamental reconstruction. It would be nice but it doesn't make sense unless you're going to pretty much go back to redoing most of the game. At this point you'd have to write off millions £££ worth of investment, marketing and update your forecasts to less than half of projections.

We just need to decide whether to play now on BC or wait for the patch.

scydrex

They will not do it. Is not logical to drop the current gen. I'm 100% sure that i will not play this game even for 5 min on current gen. The witcher 3 runs like an ass when it launched and this is more demanding. Will wait for the next gen fully supported version will all the upgrades.

Ulysses 31

Game's too far gone into this gen to drop it now and with reports that the PS5 won't meet demand and perhaps also the XSX, it would be foolish to rely on those consoles to rake in the cash so soon at the start of the generation.

I'll wait for the RTX 30X0 enhanced edition on PC. :lollipop_grinning:

Last edited:

DonF

They've been working on this for a long ass time, hell no. Don't drop support for ps4-xbone.

Rob_27

Not a good idea to drop them. With bugger all out it would seem at the moment for new consoles. It would be delayed to accommodate changes.

They won’t drop current gen support and will be focused on making it as playable as possible. Resolution scaling, lod reduction, low NPC count. Witcher 3 on switch kind of thing.

Kurimao

Well Microsoft is looking to drop the HALO XB1 version so maybe they could drop Cyberpunk too ,but its a different for the PS4.

Fbh

Nah it's way too late for that.

Not to mention that I also want it to sell and be financially successful so they can continue making big ambitious games.
Keep in mind that while The Witcher 3 has had longer legs on PC it's also dirt cheap now. During the first 2 years more than 50% of the sales came from consoles, and during just the first year (when the game still expensive or even full price) almost 70% of the sales were on consoles.

I doubt anyone in charge of such a big project would allow them to delay it yet again and then cut off a massive source of income too.

Last edited:

Megatron

Would it make any difference if they did at this point? The game has to be done and just in the testing phase at this point.

Mozzarella

No, because the game marketing was based on the current gen console, it would be bad if they drop it, many people have no plan to buy the new console day 1 and also many people dont have powerful enough PC to run the game smoothly, a bit of optimization with current gen console could help many, then later when they buy the new console a free upgrade will be available, its like the best of both worlds.

They've already done the work to get the game running acceptably well on current gen consoles, why in the name of God would they give up those sales to the millions of people who own them when they're giving the next gen upgrade for free?

Top Bottom