• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Will Have Multiple Difficulty Settings, Hardcore Mode Turns Off UI

Mista

Banned
cyberpunk-2077-screenshot-3-1024x574.jpg

In a recent interview with WCCF Tech, UI director Alvin Liu talked about having multiple difficulty settings. Much like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, there will be settings to appeal to experienced and non-experienced players. Liu also revealed what Hardcore mode will be like.
“The most fun one I think will be the Hardcore setting where we turn off the UI you have as well. And that will be a real challenge for a lot of players. Also, at the same time, if you want to play more casually for the story and maybe you’re not experienced with shooters, which was a real big concern for us."
“We want to tell a story and maybe you’re a big fan of The Witcher and you’re not comfortable playing a shooter, we have settings available for that. We even have weapons for that. If you recall from last year’s demo, we had a weapon called the smart gun, which helps you aim. The bullets were much slower and usually a bit weaker. But if your aiming isn’t your forte, you can always pick up the smart gun.”

Mista

Banned
I will definitely play this on the highest difficulty.
Death march wasn’t actually very hard in the Witcher 3.

No UI is great. I prefer all my games HUD-less. Even tho it would actually make kinda sense for the setting here?
Not really. Its just weird for me playing without a HUD. It makes you lost somehow

Stimpak

if that’s all hardcore mode does, that sounds a little lackluster. Hopefully there’s more to it.

I’ll need survival elements to make it fun without a HUD (eating, sleeping, drug addiction, etc.).

If not, I’m sure the game will be challenging enough to keep me interested.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No HUD means the NPCs are going to have to actually describe how to get to places. If they pull that off then we're in some good oldschool gaming here. If the design is still around floating arrows and you're just turning them off, not so much.

Mista

Banned
I meant it would make sense for the game to have a hud. Because of the cyberpunk setting and the whole human augmentation stuff.
It’s even in the gameplay footage where v gets an eye augemntation.
Yeah, I definitely agree. If we’re going to see cybers view then we need that

Saber

Gold Member
Makes sense. Leaving the good hard settings for the challenge lovers and the easiest ones for those who don't care about games or challenges at all. Thats the way to please anyone.

Meowzers

In Russia, game make YOU hard.

Ooh certainly so. Every new thing I hear about this game just sounds so positive.

scalman

I would prefer no diff settings that difficulty will come up in the way you play not in stupid setting for AI be bullet sponge or not

ruvikx

Banned
Makes sense. Leaving the good hard settings for the challenge lovers and the easiest ones for those who don't care about games or challenges at all. Thats the way to please anyone.

So long as there's a nice gold trophy/achievement hidden behind the hardcore difficulty. I need those bragging rights, after all.

In all seriousness, as someone already mentioned in a previous post here, Witcher 3's hardest difficulty was easy & IMO actually easier than normal difficulty in many other RPG's (especially from past decades). Games are getting easier. That's a fact with most. So for those of us who've been doing this hobby for a long time (too long, probably), hardcore mode will probably be the default mode for the first playthrough.

Kadayi

Banned
No UI is great. I prefer all my games HUD-less. Even tho it would actually make kinda sense for the setting here?

I hear you. When I play a FP style game I like to be in the game space versus the interface as much as possible. Within the context of the setting, I'm absolutely fine with some UI elements given the territory, but I recall when I watched last years Demo footage that I was a little put off by the damage numbers coming up during the combat. Sure I get that there is a need to indicate to a player that damage is being done, but numbers are not the way to go IMHO. Conversely, though I'm A-OK with seeing you're guns Ammo count, because that had some precedent within the frame of the narrative given your upgrades. Shit has to make sense situationally.

plushyp

Generally I like to turn off the UI but the Cyberpunk setting here makes me want to leave it on purely for the sake of the aesthetics.

anthraticus

Banned
No HUD means the NPCs are going to have to actually describe how to get to places. If they pull that off then we're in some good oldschool gaming here. If the design is still around floating arrows and you're just turning them off, not so much.
Exactly. If we can't navigate and play properly without having to follow idiot markers/compass around, my anticipation for this game drops tremendously.

I just can't follow that crap from point to point any more. Feels like boring busywork to me, ruins the exploration and immersion and really takes me out of the games.

xool

I thought the HUD was the actual augments/implants you get in-world in your avatar - so not sure how this makes sense right now ..

Dontero

Banned

lol did you ever see someone explaining anything in any of trailers ?

stop dreaming it won't be morrowind or older rpgs

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
lol did you ever see someone explaining anything in any of trailers ?

stop dreaming it won't be morrowind or older rpgs

Did I say I was dreaming? It was more in hope than expectation. But who knows, maybe they just didn't show that in trailers. If you think about it a scene where someone is giving directions to get to a nearby bank to rob isn't the most exciting thing to show in a trailer. I'll approach it with an open mind and choose hud or no hud depending on that design choice.

Exentryk

As someone that doesn't play shooters, I appreciate the options like smart guns and other stuff.

HUD stuff I'm not worried about because those always have lots of mods to tailor it to your preference. But I feel like the base game will give you enough options to not even need mods.

Last edited:

jadefire66

Exactly. If we can't navigate and play properly without having to follow idiot markers/compass around, my anticipation for this game drops tremendously.

I just can't follow that crap from point to point any more. Feels like boring busywork to me, ruins the exploration and immersion and really takes me out of the games.

For me it's the opposite... I always get lost in games if the game doesn't show me where to go, and end up googling it, looking up a walkthrough or a youtube video etc. So I'm glad for objective markers in modern games. I mean, I played Morrowind last year and for every single location or NPC that I needed to find for quests, I would look it up on the wiki / UESP world map to see where it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom