• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk needs an "immersive" UI

nkarafo

Not a huge fan of letters and numbers floating on the screen. And Cyberpunk seems to have plenty of those so far. Top right corner has text, top center has a compass, there are mission indicators that go around the screen and you also get indicators above NPCs... I know it's still a WIP but so far the UI looks very Ubisoft-ish. Stuff like this take me out of the game, especially one that has a first person perspective.

I know there will be options to remove/hide UI elements. But that's not a good solution. If the game is build around having those elements it means you are making it harder by removing them. Sure, you could only hide some like the mission text which doesn't need to be all over the screen at all times (i'm looking at you Witcher). What i would prefer is another way to display the crucial elements though. Like having a wristwatch displaying all the things you need, that you can bring with the press of the button. Or a projection/holographic menu similar to that in Dead Space (that game handled the UI amazingly well).

Any other ideas are welcomed.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
wait, it uses a compass and not a minimap?
nice!

Not a fan of damage counters either, especially in shooters, but hopefully there'll be no disadvantage to disabling them.

I'm hoping CDPR will better communicate their plans for UI in the future. Given the game and genre of cyberpunk are about deep customisation I am excited (and hopeful!) of these features being implemented.

Have CDPR announced anything of this sort of thing? I can't recall what they said in the initial gameplay reveal.

Kadayi

Banned
Not a huge fan of letters and numbers floating on the screen. And Cyberpunk seems to have plenty of those so far. Top right corner has text, top center has a compass, there are mission indicators that go around the screen and you also get indicators above NPCs... I know it's still a WIP but so far the UI looks very Ubisoft-ish. Stuff like this take me out of the game, especially one that has a first person perspective.

I know there will be options to remove/hide UI elements. But that's not a good solution. If the game is build around having those elements it means you are making it harder by removing them. Sure, you could only hide some like the mission text which doesn't need to be all over the screen at all times (i'm looking at you Witcher). What i would prefer is another way to display the crucial elements though. Like having a wristwatch displaying all the things you need, that you can bring with the press of the button. Or a projection/holographic menu similar to that in Dead Space (that game handled the UI amazingly well).

Any other ideas are welcomed.

I'm hoping that there's an option to make the damage a bit more discreet. Like you, I'm not keen on the idea of damage numbers (that shit put me right off The Division) but some hit/damage indicator is probably required from a feedback perspective.

stickkidsam

I'm hoping that there's an option to make the damage a bit more discreet. Like you, I'm not keen on the idea of damage numbers (that shit put me right off The Division) but some hit/damage indicator is probably required from a feedback perspective.
I've always liked the original Halo's lack of hit indicators. There's something about it that just clicks with me. I feel like when I have the hit indicators I'm focusing less on the screen and more on whether the reticle moves.

Neo_Geo

Banned
PC Mode is generally the correct answer. It provides a virtually identical input lag environment and doesn't completely ruin the image qualityt.

nkarafo

I don't pretend I'm inside a game when I'm playing. So bring on a full screen of information.
60al40og7v611.jpg

Solarstrike

Gold Member
They'll be mods. However it should be known, for it is written through hymns upon the ancient walls of old, there must be a nude mod before all things.

I usually turn off the HUD in games, I don't like HUDs that look like cheap text painted on the screen.
I did however like the HUD in Halo Infinite because it looks like it's actually part of the helmet visor:

aDrJiW0.gif

So yeah I was hoping the HUD it would look a bit more holographic in Cyberpunk, right now it looks very basic.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

I will take a useful UI where i can do what i want over diegetic stuff any day.
The UI is first and foremost there to serve a purpose, the less UI the better.

And please, please, no console garbage UI on PC.
I have a mouse and keyboard, use them.

Last edited:

Vlodril

Contextual hud's in games are fantastic. I hate having a ton of stuff obscuring the world (breaks immersion too). Unfortunately although a lot of games offer the choice to remove hud elements, a lot of them are not made by that in mind making playing those games without specific hud elements a chore or even impossible.

God of war did it well. Some Ubisoft games to that well also. Would definitely love to see more devs putting effort on this aspect of game design which seems not really well thought off and its a pity because it really makes the game look and feel much better. (skyrim's had a really nice mod for hud hiding but i do not remember the name).

Top Bottom