• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Went to see Jurassic World a few hours ago with a friend. I go to NorthPark mall so rarely that I used the contract painters' walkway thinking it was there because the other doors weren't functioning, lol. Place was packed for these late-night showings.

ChRoNiTe

If anyone in the Irving/Las Colinas area is a fan of street tacos I recommend checking out Tacolicious. It's a little spot tucked away at the corner of Royal and Luna. I've had the carnitas and barbacoa, both were awesome. Coworker I went with ordered lengua and raved about it as well. Will definitely be going back.

Wreav

Banned
I'm going to venture out to the Sylvan bridge tonight to get a skyline pic while the Trinity is up...looking at google maps, I'll probably die since there's no shoulder, but I can't refuse this opportunity!

besada

Banned
I need dumplings! The Dumpling House, which was in Irving, has closed down, and I need my fix. Anyone have a good line on a place that makes good dumplings in the mid-cities?

I need dumplings! The Dumpling House, which was in Irving, has closed down, and I need my fix. Anyone have a good line on a place that makes good dumplings in the mid-cities?

It reopened as Fortune House. The soup dumpling was good but I think everything else was not so good to ok.

Wreav

Banned
Made it out to the Sylvan and Continental bridges last night, awesome views! I'll add to this post as I process more.

18494359234_1c910c1b03_b.jpg

Made it out to the Sylvan and Continental bridges last night, awesome views! I'll add to this post as I process more.

18494359234_1c910c1b03_b.jpg

Can I ask for a wallpaper size pls? Lol.

I really need to go there this weekend. I've been planning to stop by and take some pics as well but it's either raining more, too hot, or got something else going on that I can't get out of. Hopefully I'll have a freer weekend this week coz I need to get some pics before the water recedes.

Great stuff!

Not being a Dallas resident or commuter, it's never hit upon me until recently how odd it is for the Trinity to rise this high. The skyline reflection upon the river is fascinating.

Man freaking pests are getting out of control right now in the burbs, bugs, those small newt lizard things, rats..... I remember one of my drinking buddies who works for the waterworks in Plano telling me about how rats are getting worse and worse each year in the sewers and storm drains....

Terminix's phone is probably ringing off the hook.

*Actual footage from Terminix*

y5GKqwU.gif

Zebra

For Bernie Sanders supporters, Bernie will have a Dallas town meeting tomorrow at 1pm in the Sheraton.

Info: https://go.berniesanders.com/page/event/detail/townmeeting/4jv52

Man freaking pests are getting out of control right now in the burbs, bugs, those small newt lizard things, rats..... I remember one of my drinking buddies who works for the waterworks in Plano telling me about how rats are getting worse and worse each year in the sewers and storm drains....

A bunch of wasps managed to sneak to the other side of my patio screen door and created a nest between the screen door and the glass door. Now I'm terrified to open it lol.

Y'all might be interested to know there's a new (b)arcade coming to DFW in Richardson! It's called Free Play Arcade, on Beltline near the Drafthouse. They were at the Let's Play Gaming Expo just this weekend (very good turnout, expect it to happen in Plano next year...we could do a meet-up) and I got to play their Lucky & Wild deluxe cab. So far it seems the location's good, they're doing a lot with Alamo Drafthouse Richardson for events, and the games are in good shape.

Y'all might be interested to know there's a new (b)arcade coming to DFW in Richardson! It's called Free Play Arcade, on Beltline near the Drafthouse. They were at the Let's Play Gaming Expo just this weekend (very good turnout, expect it to happen in Plano next year...we could do a meet-up) and I got to play their Lucky & Wild deluxe cab. So far it seems the location's good, they're doing a lot with Alamo Drafthouse Richardson for events, and the games are in good shape.

Oh shit. That's awesome news.

Wreav

Banned
The heat is what it is. We took the kid to the park until around 11am and it was just unbearable in the sun by then.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I'm heading out to Trees for a concert tomorrow night.

Has anyone been there? Do they have food or should I eat before?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm heading out to Trees for a concert tomorrow night.

Has anyone been there? Do they have food or should I eat before?

Was at a Hollywood Undead concert there just a few months ago.

Its a small space so you'll be a bit cramped, but a good venue. They have a full bar and tables on the 2nd level and in back, but I did not see anyone eating food, just drinker beer.

Also, get there early, and park in back in the fenced in parking, its not expensive ($5 i think).

Anybody want some free MLS FC Dallas tickets for the game against the Galaxy Saturday night? Just PM me your address. Should get there before Saturday after I mail them today.

Zia

Heading down to The Big D next week and plan on doing absolutely nothing but floating in a pool and eating comfort food and so I'm looking for a few recommendations.

BBQ: I know, I know. I've done Sonny Bryan's (meh), typically eat a meal at Smoke (yum but overrated) since I stay at the Belmont and have enjoyed the BBQ options at Tillman's (yum but overpriced). Does Lockhart live up to its name?

Pizza: Only pizza I've had in Dallas is Eno's and I need some of the newer Neapolitan. Cane Rosso? Anything better?

And if anyone has other casual Ethnic or street food recommendations (anything Asian, decent Mexican) I'd really appreciate it.

Heading down to The Big D next week and plan on doing absolutely nothing but floating in a pool and eating comfort food and so I'm looking for a few recommendations.

BBQ: I know, I know. I've done Sonny Bryan's (meh), typically eat a meal at Smoke (yum but overrated) since I stay at the Belmont and have enjoyed the BBQ options at Tillman's (yum but overpriced). Does Lockhart live up to its name?

Pizza: Only pizza I've had in Dallas is Eno's and I need some of the newer Neapolitan. Cane Rosso? Anything better?

And if anyone has other casual Ethnic or street food recommendations (anything Asian, decent Mexican) I'd really appreciate it.

Sounds like you're staying in downtown/uptown area so i'll keep the recommendations out there

BBQ: Lockhart is pretty damn good but of course there's also Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum. You'll have to wait in line, but it shouldn't be so bad on a weekday for lunch

Pizza: Cane Rosso is my favorite around here

Casual ethnic/street food: Klyde Warren park has some awesome food trucks with pretty cheap food. The banh mi sandwich place is pretty legit.

Zia

Sounds like you're staying in downtown/uptown area so i'll keep the recommendations out there

BBQ: Lockhart is pretty damn good but of course there's also Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum. You'll have to wait in line, but it shouldn't be so bad on a weekday for lunch

Pizza: Cane Rosso is my favorite around here

Casual ethnic/street food: Klyde Warren park has some awesome food trucks with pretty cheap food. The banh mi sandwich place is pretty legit.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I so desperately want Pecan Lodge but my schedule doesn't appear to line up. ; (

Wreav

Banned
Never gotten a dirtier look from a waitress than when I pulled a bottle of whiskey and vodka out of a grocery bag at babes. Love that BYOB!

NR1

Just bought my first "house"!!! I'm keeping my current condo in Rockwall on Lake Ray Hubbard and renting it out. I'm moving a little further out from the Metroplex (Fate, TX-- just 8 miles East from Rockwall on I-30). Really nice town. It quickly growing into a major suburban area. Nothing like Frisco, The Colony, or McKinney. Primarily a residential town like Lucas, Little Elm, and Prosper.

If anyone is looking for a place to rent or know someone, feel free to PM me and I'll send over the Trulia.com listing. Its 1-bed/bath; 3rd floor with 1 designated parking space (765 sqft). It has a great lake view and you can even see downtown Dallas in the distance!

image-34.jpg

So good chance I move out to Dallas by the middle of next month assuming my new job offer doesn't fall through.

Used to live in Denton when I was a little tyke, but I've been in FL most of my life. I'll be lurking here more as things get closer.

Any good/decent neighborhoods for rent I should look out for modestly to low paid state employees? I'd actually be working from home but would be traveling mostly in the DFW area.

Trevelyon

Welp, pulled the trigger! coming in for Wrestlemania/HoF/RoH whatever other indies are running and am able I get too (maybe NXT maybe RAW) March 30- April 6th. I can't wait.

akileese

Well then this cool weather is unexpected and entirely welcome! It was sort of weird walking out side at 730am and needing to get a light hoodie but I'll take it.

Wreav

Banned
Don't worry, we'll resume our scheduled melting tomorrow, with the added bonus of humidity!

Has anyone tried out the Velvet Taco's offshoot sister restaurant in Addison, Ida Claire? It's in the old Truluck's building, haven't had a chance to go yet.

y2dvd

So good chance I move out to Dallas by the middle of next month assuming my new job offer doesn't fall through.

Used to live in Denton when I was a little tyke, but I've been in FL most of my life. I'll be lurking here more as things get closer.

Any good/decent neighborhoods for rent I should look out for modestly to low paid state employees? I'd actually be working from home but would be traveling mostly in the DFW area.

I'm actually looking for a new place at the end of next month. It really depends on how much you're willing to pay and what lifestyle suits you best.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Where will you be working and how much of a commute are you willing to put up with? I love our area of Frisco, and their are some new apts that just went up that are very nice right next to the Frisco Lakes. Its a great "home base" area, but the commute can be long if you work downtown (I work in Las Colinas, the commute is about 35-45 minutes depending on what time I leave in the morning)

Zebra

The first arch is up!

saRXaai.jpg

With this being the end product:

LoRmSjp.jpg

I wasn't a big fan after I saw the final renderings, especially when it went from four arches down to just two, but after seeing the arch take shape it is looking pretty good. It should be pretty impressive when it's all done.

The first arch is up!

I actually don't understand what they're doing with the bridge.

Are they going to remove the existing section of I-30 when the elevated sections are done? Or are they still gonna keep that in use?

I'd like to say that I hate what they're doing in the area, but that's pretty damn impossible considering the clusterfnck up north on 635. I mean once in a while the traffic does get pretty bad at any day of the week, but even at this stage there's already improvements that make it better.

That off-ramp from WB 30 to 35E North was the bane of my existence when I worked in Uptown. The drivers already on 35E couldn't give a shit that there's an off-ramp there and it's always a hassle trying to fight for lane space to get on Woodall Rodgers. That minor kink they added surprisingly helped since you're not trying to outrace everybody for the 366 on-ramp.

That said, it's still is a pain in the ass to exit Woodall Rodgers just to make it to WB 30. It's fun once in a while to drive like an asshole and cross 6 lanes I guess, but I prefer the safer and longer route by crossing large Marge then left to Beckley then to I-30.

I'm actually looking for a new place at the end of next month. It really depends on how much you're willing to pay and what lifestyle suits you best.
Yeah, if the perfect place popped up, I might stretch things to up to $1,000 per month for a studio or 1 bedroom. But more realistically, I should stay in the $700-850 range which of course mostly takes me out of the city proper. I'm trying my best to find something near a DART station.

Where will you be working and how much of a commute are you willing to put up with? I love our area of Frisco, and their are some new apts that just went up that are very nice right next to the Frisco Lakes. Its a great "home base" area, but the commute can be long if you work downtown (I work in Las Colinas, the commute is about 35-45 minutes depending on what time I leave in the morning)

And speaking on location, I will actually be working from home, so no standard commute to worry about. However, I will need to travel relatively frequently to areas south of I-30, south Dallas, and Fort Worth. So the reality is that a location near DART might not be the best. My previous office commute at my old job was about 40 miles one way and about 45-50 minutes.

As far as lifestyle, definitely something with some decent nightlife activity. Good restaurants, farmers markets, some cultural stuff. Basically what a lot of unmarried 27 year olds want lol.

I feel like that puts Arlington on the map, but I'm not sure.

Schlep

I feel like that puts Arlington on the map, but I'm not sure.

I'm not aware of nightlife in Arlington. There's nightlife in various places, but the main place for being single in your 20's is uptown Dallas. You'll have to shop around, because anywhere close to that area is expensive.

I'm not aware of nightlife in Arlington. There's nightlife in various places, but the main place for being single in your 20's is uptown Dallas. You'll have to shop around, because anywhere close to that area is expensive.

Yeah, I have been looking hard there with the idea of just biting the bullet whenever I have to go over to Fort Worth for work travel. I had the impression there was at least something in Arlington. But I guess not.

Like I said, though. I'm not opposed to living away from the Dallas city center as long as I was close enough to a DART station. I figure I'd be done with work most of the time by 5, then if I wanted to go out and do something, I could just hop on the rail and get off somewhere uptown or in the city center.

Anyone have a suggestion on a good IMAX theater in the DFW area? Fiance and I have always gone up to the Cinemark Legacy XD, but we wanted to find a good IMAX theater for one Star Wars comes out this year.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anyone have a suggestion on a good IMAX theater in the DFW area? Fiance and I have always gone up to the Cinemark Legacy XD, but we wanted to find a good IMAX theater for one Star Wars comes out this year.

I'd tell you but I dont want you getting tickets before me.

Top Bottom