• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Houser to leave Rockstar Games

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have to hope the script for the next Rockstar game has already been written, because like Bioware, they very well might never be the same after this. Rockstar has some of the best writing in all of video games, and that will be missed.

I'm scared for GTA6 now.

Its funny how both him and Benzie both went on a sabbatical vacation and once back, called it quits.

Who is Benzie? And why is this person important?

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
He is an equal to Kojima in some ways like writing and creative direction.

I hope he joins Leslie Benzies!
Yeah, but even If he does they won’t be making those huge, open-world epics anymore.
Wow, end of an era.
Do you think Rockstar’s output will change, quality-wise? I do. Don’t see how it couldn’t.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
They where pretty anonymous in the industry, not doing many interviews and such. So i dont have any personal relationship with them. Like you do with other superstars like kojima.

I have no idea how important dan houser where in the games production.

But their games are pretty quirky and unorthodox thematically and story wise.

Maybe take2 wants to streamline production and make it less person specific. This is how alot of corporations work. They always want to lessen risk and make things less person specific.

I wouldnt be surprised if games from now on where more gaas, less quirky and more pc.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Yep and this wil be their long term downfall.

I don't know, i.e. I much preferred their ps2 era output where great stuff like Vice City & Bully were released quickly & efficiently. Games shouldn't take 5 + years to make/release IMO.

Conspiracy time: Take-Two want Rockstar to be more PC and go the virtue-signalling/bad business direction and so Dan Houser said “fuck this” and left.

Sounds ridiculous. But, probably true.

RDR2 was entirely "politically correct" already. It reeked of SJW revisionist history whereby "white man bad" was either overtly shown or hinted at throughout the entire "story". The narrative in that game was a piece of trash & made Hollywood westerns over the past decade or so (3.10 to Yuma, True Grit) look like masterpieces by comparison. Even RDR1 had a better story & characters. I'm also utterly sick of Rockstar's habit of making the most irredeemable human garbage spew moralism. Listening to the murderous, thieving lying criminals in RDR2 sh*t all over America on every (overly long) horse ride was tiresome.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't know, i.e. I much preferred their ps2 era output where great stuff like Vice City & Bully were released quickly & efficiently. Games shouldn't take 5 + years to make/release IMO.

RDR2 was entirely "politically correct" already. It reeked of SJW revisionist history whereby "white man bad" was either overtly shown or hinted at throughout the entire "story". The narrative in that game was a piece of trash & made Hollywood westerns over the past decade or so (3.10 to Yuma, True Grit) look like masterpieces by comparison. Even RDR1 had a better story & characters. I'm also utterly sick of Rockstar's habit of making the most irredeemable human garbage spew moralism. Listening to the murderous, thieving lying criminals in RDR2 sh*t all over America on every (overly long) horse ride was tiresome.

You need help sir

xrnzaaas

This is just a wild guess, but I don't think this departure means anything good for future Rockstar games. Hopefully they won't become another Blizzard - a company cherished by a lot of (PC) players that's become a laughing stock in the industry and arch nemesis for many players during the last decade.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!

ROCKSTAR IS GONE. THERE IS NO GOING BACK FROM THIS.
I know that feel

mBcbNxm.png

Freeman76

This could mark the end of Rockstar as industry leaders in open world epics , they are already pretty predatory with their online models, imagine how they could turn out now!

The other day the dailies is RD2 (main way to get gold other than buying it) were all linked to animals, and their broken ass game is known for having bugs that make animals non existent. They dont fix it, but they sure fix the store if you cant buy gold.

The unknown bit is whether Houser is against this and Take 2 have too much of a say. I suspect, as founder of the company, that is more likely to be the case, and him leaving could mean the end of their high production values. I certainly dont have hope for GTA6 now.

I hope Big Phil gives him a call :)

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
There was something extremely lame about Michael and Franklin's character. Mike was pretty damn amazing, but honestly just fuck that fool's family. I couldn't stand those idiots. Whoever decided to make that part of the game, should be fired. Franklin was just trying to make money. Was kind of a joke compared to CJ; he would have gotten his ass beat by a dude like CJ. Trevor was the true shining light the game had to offer. He was amazing. We need more hardcore personalities like that. He didn't let up an inch in that game, hardly ever

If Dan Houser had a hand in GTA V I say let him leave, as much as I did enjoy GTA V and all the other previous installments. San Andreas and Vice City are classics

Well, That's unexpected.

Seems like next gen is off to a promising start already. The fact that one of the co-founders just stepped down right at the dawn of it doesn't inspire much confidence in what's coming. It especially seems forbodeing what the mega publishers, like 2K, are planning for the coming next gen. Strauss "more-wood-to-chop" Zelnick has already suggested he wants to streamline Rockstar's output more than before.

Not that Rockstar did an stellar job this gen. On the contrary their output took a serious nosedive.

I absolutely hate his approach to writing, but I do appreciate Rockstar's focus on realistic gameplay rather than the cartoony violence of their earlier games. Hope his departure doesn't change that direction.

On the other hand, they could use a fresh perspective on their writing style, but I suspect they'll just instruct their team to continue with what they're known for.

Reactions: eot

bigol

The people who made GTA San Andreas are no more at Rockstar. I don't have faith they will manage to make another game as good as that one. It's all about the GTA online (and RDR 2 online ) money for Rockstar sadly.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

This news doesn't give me nearly as much apprehension as it is others. Rockstar game's stories I've felt have always floated somewhere between serviceable to good, but only rarely broke through to greatness imo. I still play RDR2 more than any other game, primarily the SP, I've played it 5+ times, but I wouldn't even say it's top 5 story-wise.

I hope this was an amicable decision and not foreshadowing as yet unknown turmoil within the organization, but if it's really just him deciding to step away, I can see this as having just as much a chance of improving things than hindering them...

ruvikx

Banned

Apparently a moralistic tale featuring "heroes" who hate America, kill/rob from Americans & live like a travelling gang of gypsies whilst carrying out their criminal acts & subjecting us (aka the player) to a constant flow of self pittying comments about their life in America is entirely... normal?

Anti-heroes (like the Russell Crowe character in 3:10 to Yuma or John Marston himself in RDR1) need at least something likeable or relateable to make them work, even moreso if moralising the player is part of the narrative. But nope, Arthur Morgan is an irredeemable sack of shit, as were his gang.

Give me Rockstar circa ps2 era (GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas or Bully) > their output over the past 10 years.

nush

Conspiracy time: Take-Two want Rockstar to be more PC and go the virtue-signalling/bad business direction and so Dan Houser said “fuck this” and left.

Sounds ridiculous. But, probably true.

I'll do you one better. He was responsible for the biggest selling game(s) of all time and wants to get more of a return on that than T2 are offering. Once he's out of his non-compete period you'll see some new stuff from him. Also your theory has merit too.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I'll do you one better. He was responsible for the biggest selling game(s) of all time and wants to get more of a return on that than T2 are offering. Once he's out of his non-compete period you'll see some new stuff from him. Also your theory has merit too.
I was thinking he’d just retire to a tropical island with his earnings, but I like your theory better.

I have to hope the script for the next Rockstar game has already been written, because like Bioware, they very well might never be the same after this. Rockstar has some of the best writing in all of video games, and that will be missed.
I dont think the script is anywhere near finished since he took an extended break months after the release of RDR2.

At best, we will see remnants of the drafts he's written in GTA VI.

MMaRsu

Banned
Dude just had a burn out, and decided he'd rather live off that sweet money than work his ass off for another 10-15 years. Cant say I blame him; corporate world sucks ass

Airbus Jr

Banned

Jesus what the hell wrong with you people

You guys are so warped up with the sjw vs anti sjw war that makes you see everything in that crazy tunnel vision

Got stuck up too hard on that insane endless political war it drives you crazy like a madman

Red Dead Redemption 2 is fine game for what it is theres no need for you to bring controversy into it

You guys are destroying everything good in gaming by overthinking everything

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Jesus what the hell wrong with you people

You guys are so warped up with the sjw vs anti sjw war that makes you see everything in that crazy tunnel vision

Got stuck up too hard on that insane endless political war it drives you crazy like a madman

You'd find it difficult to name a more liberal, anti-American western movie made by Hollywood itself over the past few decades than the RDR2 video game. There's genrally nuance & morally gray/complex themes, even in the many products made by liberals. That's why RDR2 is SJW, i.e. because it lacks nuance, it lacks self-awareness (moralistic murderers virtue signaling about the wrongs of the USA? Really?) & its only narrative objective was "late 19th century USA = bad".

Carrying on calling me "mad", but I merely noticed the actual writer's intent. Some people climb on a horse, shoot-up some towns folk, hunt some deer & scream "wow bestest game ever!" whilst literally ignoring the core (pun intended) of the game for xyz reasons.

Top Bottom