• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dance Central |OT| Kinect's Killer App?

I'm getting to play this a couple of times per week with my wife at her sister's place. Are there any quick tips (e.g. it recognizes certain movements better than others or you can slack off with other moves) or do you just have to practice and get good?

Doodis

Battersea Power Station said:
I'm getting to play this a couple of times per week with my wife at her sister's place. Are there any quick tips (e.g. it recognizes certain movements better than others or you can slack off with other moves) or do you just have to practice and get good?
You just need to practice and get good. Learn the routines. Break It Down mode is your friend.

My one tip: I find a lot of the time when I'm not getting the move down 100%, it's because I'm not putting my arms in the exact position the game wants me to. I'm focusing on the footwork, without realizing that they wanted my arm in a certain spot.

besiktas1

kilongs said:
Sorry for the stupid question: Can DLC bought on one account be used by the other accounts on the Xbox 360?
Yes. DRM is tied to both account it was bought and 1st Xbox it is downloaded to...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So Im gonna be getting a pretty nice tax return and Im considering picking this up cause my gf seems really interested in it. Thing is, I only have ps3 and I would have to buy the xbox kinect bundle and the game..thats alot of freaking money for one game. I already have Move so I feel like Im going overboard with all this shit.

Bii

tapedeck said:
So Im gonna be getting a pretty nice tax return and Im considering picking this up cause my gf seems really interested in it. Thing is, I only have ps3 and I would have to buy the xbox kinect bundle and the game..thats alot of freaking money for one game. I already have Move so I feel like Im going overboard with all this shit.

I'm sure your Xbox 360 won't be used just for Dance Central, right? You can just get the 4GB Xbox 360 Kinect Bundle ($299) and Dance Central (~$40) if you don't plan to play the 360 much.

I'm currently ranked #16 in Jay Sean's "Down"...with no flashcards. :]
Looks like I have the highest score on that song with flashcards disabled. I know I can crack the top 10, so I'll be playing this song for the next few days until I do so.

I wish there was more DLC for this game. I realise it's probably more work than a Rock Band track, but a new song or two every week to increase the tracklist would be awesome.

So far Disturbia is the only one that has appealed to me :(

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Don't know if everyone's seen this already or not, but the DC twitter has been saying they'll release some sort of in-game prize if they get to 4,000 followers:

Dance_Central Dance Central
OK dancers! We are still trying to hit the 4K follower mark. Once we do, you get a cool in-game prize! Spread the love!

Sai-kun

Banned
My coworker lent me her kinect and this game, and it feels fucking AWESOME to play it after I've wanted it for so long! :D

This game is fucking incredible. I love love love love LOVE it. I've only done Evacuate the Dancefloor, Galang, and Poker Face on Easy, but it's a fun workout!

Okay, back to dancing :D

Hmmm...was holding off on buying DLC tracks until I mastered all of the on-disc songs on hard, but this sale is good enough and I want new stuff to dance to.

Chairhome

The official Facebook released this code:
BUBBLY at the title screen to unlock all songs (on disc songs, of course)
B, Up, B, B, L, Y

bigpumbaa

Seriously been having a blast with Dance Central. There are certain "dud" songs (bad combo of dance moves I don't like and music I don't like). But they are few and far between.

My frustration level at the sensor has been almost nil. Which is pretty damn compelling for a launch title.

Been playing this and Your Shape Fitness as my morning winter Kinect work out. Fucking love the game.

Just beat everything on the disc. That final dancer is pretty awesome... and was that some semblance of PLOT and CLIFFHANGER at the end there? For an arcade dancing game?!

Insanity. Can't wait to see what Harmonix will do with some more time and understanding of the Kinect tech (for Dance Central 2).

Also - congrats Harmonix. You've officially made my list of companies I'd actually want to work for one day.

Chairhome

Another recently released code: BUDDY at the title screen. Don't know what it does.

They also hinted that there should be new DLC coming soon...

Doodis

bigpumbaa said:
Also - congrats Harmonix. You've officially made my list of companies I'd actually want to work for one day.
Haha. Wow, after pretty much revolutionizing music games with Guitar Hero and Rock Band, you're only now considering them after Dance Central?

Chairhome said:
The official Facebook released this code:
BUBBLY at the title screen to unlock all songs (on disc songs, of course)
B, Up, B, B, L, Y
Aren't all songs unlocked from the start anyway?

"Haha. Wow, after pretty much revolutionizing music games with Guitar Hero and Rock Band, you're only now considering them after Dance Central?"

Uh, what?

Anyway, the BUDDY code gives Mo slippers. So when you input it, don't change your dance and it'll have you playing as "Mo'riginal" with slippers.

JaggedSac said:
Probably unlocks all difficulty levels for the songs.
the Facebook page is saying it unlocks everything else too....good for parties...I just use parties to unlock stuff. LOL.
I wish the DLC would come out at quicker intervals. I'm almost thinking about buying all the songs.

Out of the 4 songs on sale, which ones are good?

Chairhome

Teknopathetic said:
"Haha. Wow, after pretty much revolutionizing music games with Guitar Hero and Rock Band, you're only now considering them after Dance Central?"

Uh, what?

Anyway, the BUDDY code gives Mo slippers. So when you input it, don't change your dance and it'll have you playing as "Mo'riginal" with slippers.
Thanks. I wonder what other "word" codes they have. Might have to try entering random codes.

Doodis

Teknopathetic said:

Uh, what?

What what?

Bii

akilshohen said:
the Facebook page is saying it unlocks everything else too....good for parties...I just use parties to unlock stuff. LOL.
I wish the DLC would come out at quicker intervals. I'm almost thinking about buying all the songs.

Out of the 4 songs on sale, which ones are good?
I personally like dancing to Sean Paul's "Temperature". Especially since most of the moves are designed to make it so you hit on its beat. A challenging one is Ne-Yo's "Because of You". It has a few tricky moves that goes beyond the robotic motions some dances have. It gives me quite the workout (of course, I'm basing my experiences on Hard difficulty). I haven't played "Word Up" or "Control" enough to cite opinions on those songs.

Chairhome

Linkhero1 said:
Any news on new DLC for this game?
One of the choreographers for the game tweeted that they just wrapped Day 2 of motion capture for new DLC, so its coming, just don't know when.

Another code released: BLURRY. I'll try it in a bit and let you know what it does.

Dommel

My gf is -still- dancing after I hooked up Kinect 3 hours ago!

Never thought she would find it so addicting.

Game is really great fun

Doodis

Kotaku just reported that Microsoft is sending out the a survey with questions about possible features in Dance Central 2. None of these are confirmed, but at least they're being considered. Would be nice to see some of this stuff in the game:

Custom Dances
Custom dance crafting - Lets you choose individual dance moves and string them together into custom choreographed sequences.

Break-it Down Improvements
Individual move practice - Lets you practice a single dance move from any routine that's causing you difficulty without having to practice the entire song.
Repeat recap sequences - Lets you replay recap sequences in Break It Down. That is, you can practice specific dance sequences repeatedly. You would still have to practice the entire song.
Individual recap sequences - Lets you practice specific dance sequences from any routine without having to practice the entire song.
Improved feedback - The game will provide more specific feedback on what EXACTLY the player is not doing correctly. This may include arrows, text, auditory instructions or other feedback so players know how to correct their dancing.
Performance comparison - Lets you see a side-by-side video playback of your performance and the dance character's performance so you can see how your performance of the dance moves differed from the dance character's performance.

Difficulty Settings
Easy song inclusion - Includes more songs that people new to Dance Central can play successfully.
Loose filters mode - Lets people flawlessly perform a move even if they are not perfectly accurate. This mode would be good for new players or at a party where greater participation is more important than mastering the moves.

Lyrics
On-screen lyrics - Lets you see the song lyrics on the TV while you're dancing.
Sing along - Lets people who are not dancing sing along to songs and score points for the person dancing.

On-line Store
Dance Central Store - Lets you preview and purchase additional content including new songs, news dance moves, character outfits and other items from the Dance Central game.

Voice Interaction
Voice control - Lets you use the voice commands to navigate menus such as selecting songs, selecting song difficulty, etc. Voice control will be implemented in addition to current gesture controls.

Dancer Character Customization
Build your own dancer - Lets you build your own character by choosing body shapes and features. This is similar to creating your avatar.
Customize your dancer - Lets you customize characters currently in the game by changing items such as clothing, jewelry, etc.

Importing Songs
Song merging - Lets you easily import the songs from one version of Dance Central into another, so you don't have to switch between two discs.

Freestyle
Stop motion freestyle - Lets you see your freestyle played back in a series of photographs. This is how Dance Central currently shows freestyles.
Video freestyle - Lets you see your freestyle played back as a standard continuous video clip.
Non-photographic freestyle - Lets you see your freestyle played back as a silhouette or an other abstract version of yourself.
Copy-me freestyle - Lets you play a mini-game during the freestyle such as copying specific dance moves (like H-O-R-S-E for dancers)
Graphical freestyle - Lets you see your freestyle played back as abstract graphics or art work instead of any player representation.
No freestyle - Lets you continue dancing to choreographed dance moves without having to come up with your own dance moves.

Photo Sharing

Exporting pictures - Lets you export pictures taken during gameplay to your PC.
Exporting videos - Lets you export videos taken during gameplay to your PC.
Social Network picture sharing - Lets you export pictures taken during gameplay directly to social media networks such as Facebook.

Community

Social network score sharing - Lets you post/share Dance Central scores through social media networks such as Facebook. You would also have the option to post an in-game photo of you or your character from when you earned that score.
In-game challenges - Lets you challenge your friends or the game can issue specific challenges to you. For example, challenge a friend for the highest score on a particular song or difficulty found within the game.
Downloadable content (DLC) challenges - Lets you challenge your friends or the game can issue specific challenges to you on content only available for purchase on-line.

Game Modes
Campaign mode - Follow a guided progression of dance challenges while working through the song list. Along the way you would earn rewards and unlock additional content (such as new characters, outfits, cinematics or songs)
Fitness mode - Lets you create customized workout playlists for continuous dancing (that is, without a break between songs). A calorie counter will also calculate calories burned within a song, playlist and across workouts.
Party mode - Lets you create customized party playlists for continuous music and dancing. This will include time between songs to allow players to switch. Additionally, achievements would not be scored during party mode.

Multiplayer
2 player - Lets you play with a friend side by side simultaneously. You play together in a co-op game or against each other in a head to head dance battle.
2 player over Xbox Live Avatar - Lets you play online with a friend through Xbox Live. You and your friend will be able to see each other's Avatars performing the dance moves.
2 player over Xbox Live Silhouettes - Lets you play online with a friend through Xbox Live. You and your friend will be able to see silhouettes of each other performing the dance moves.
Background dancing - Lets friends play behind the primary players as backup dancers. The performance of the backup dancers will help increase the number of points scored.

Doodis said:
What what?

I think he meant how you wrongly assume Guitar Hero and Rock Band revolutionized music genre. Japan has been playing DDR and Guitar Freaks for years before Guitar Hero came along.

Castor Krieg said:
I think he meant how you wrongly assume Guitar Hero and Rock Band revolutionized music genre. Japan has been playing DDR and Guitar Freaks for years before Guitar Hero came along.
Guitar Hero revolutionised music games by having music people don't stab their ears after hearing.

butter_stick said:
Guitar Hero revolutionised music games by having music people don't stab their ears after hearing.

It's a matter of taste, and it doesn't "revolutionize" anything. I cannot stand majority of Western music included in GH/RB.

It's not a matter of taste, it's unquestionable including famous pop songs was a massive change that was responsible for legitimising the genre in the US. Along with the 3D highway, it instantly made Konami's shit instantly irrelevant.

butter_stick said:
Along with the 3D highway, it instantly made Konami's shit instantly irrelevant.

Congratulations for being ignorant. Still mistaking choice of music for "innovation". Also, please tell me exactly how graphics are relevant in a music game?

I said it was revolutionary, not innovative. I'd say the fact Konami are completely irrelevant in the music game genre backs that up sufficiently. There's no market for their dated, poorly designed shit any more. You'd have to be "ignorant" to argue differently.

And of course graphics matter. The visual presentation of the notes (the fucking core gameplay) was massively improved in GH and subsequent games. It's why people look at Power Gig and Rock Revolution and mock them instantly.

butter_stick said:
I said it was revolutionary, not innovative. I'd say the fact Konami are completely irrelevant in the music game genre backs that up sufficiently. There's no market for their dated, poorly designed shit any more. You'd have to be "ignorant" to argue differently.

Holy shit, where are all these GH/RB NATIONAL TOURNAMENTS!!!??? I must've missed them...oh wait, there aren't any, because GH/RB is irrelevant in serious competitive setting.

http://www.ddruschampionship.com/

The whole world is playing DDR, IIDX, etc. Konami is very much relevant in music genre - unless GH was your first music game, then you worship shitty Guitar Freaks rip-off.

As for graphic presentation - this is all you need in a music game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y57snv0G0TI

It is also something that GH/RB will never be able to pull off.

Doodis

Yeah, yeah, whatever. So maybe they didn't revolutionize anything, but there's no question that the genre sold millions of games and became a household name in the U.S. due to the efforts of Harmonix. But we digress...

Dance Central 2 should be great.

I'm glad you were able to completely sidestep the arguement and instead start randomly talking about gaming competitions. Of which, I'm sure there have been and continue to be for Guitar Hero, which proves absolutely nothing either way.

RedStep

Castor Krieg said:
Congratulations for being ignorant. Still mistaking choice of music for "innovation". Also, please tell me exactly how graphics are relevant in a music game?

They're not.

Now please go back to the DDR thread (oh wait), you obviously have no interest in the content of this one.

Oh boy, the Harmonix force is out now. Come to terms with the fact that GH/RB isn't "revolutionary" somewhere else.

Back to the DC2 survey.

Dabanton

Love the sound of some of those proposed features.

Social interaction especially MS missed a trick by not having Facebook and other social sites link into the game easily like Kinect Sports and Adventures.

Teknopathetic said:
Oh boy, the Harmonix force is out now. Come to terms with the fact that GH/RB isn't "revolutionary" somewhere else.

Back to the DC2 survey.
Stating your opinion as fact while forbidding further discussion. Well played, Clerks.

Doodis

Dabanton said:
Love the sound of some of those proposed features.

Social interaction especially MS missed a trick by not having Facebook and other social sites link into the game easily like Kinect Sports and Adventures.
I think that probably had more to do with the fact that they needed the game out as a Kinect launch title. Holding it back to really flesh it out with more features would probably have been a big mistake. Getting it out on launch and having it be one of the killer apps for Kinect was probably worth more.

starsky

All the suggested features sound good, the one I want the most is campaign/story mode. Make it happen, Harmonix!

Top Bottom