• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

This has probably been asked (and answered) a thousand times, but is the manga/anime based off the game or is it a separate storyline?

Anime is a bare bones version of the game. Gets you through the plot but strips the characterization and investigations.

Manga is more or less the same but gives more characterization to certain characters during the cases. I guess you can say it doesn't stay on Makoto all the time like the game and it is considered canon so it is pretty interesting.

This has probably been asked (and answered) a thousand times, but is the manga/anime based off the game or is it a separate storyline?

Both are based off the game, but the manga shifts perspectives to give more insight into other characters and their actions while the anime is a straight adaptation.

Korosenai

Anime is a bare bones version of the game. Gets you through the plot but strips the characterization and investigations.

Manga is more or less the same but gives more characterization to certain characters during the cases. I guess you can say it doesn't stay on Makoto all the time like the game and it is considered canon so it is pretty interesting.

Both are based off the game, but the manga shifts perspectives to give more insight into other characters and their actions while the anime is a straight adaptation.

I plan on getting the game this week, would it be wise to hold off on the anime and manga until I play and beat it?

edit: Nevermind, it probably would since the anime and manga might spoil some stuff.

Thanks for the answers, i'll be sure to check them out once I beat the game.

Alpha_eX

Finished it, loved it, regret reading about the other games/mangas ect

The game is best enjoyed with no spoilers or even hints towards something, my mistake was reading the synopsis of Danganronpa Zero but thankfully I was on the last chapter so not the whole game was ruined.

How do I get the last 8 (?) things from the coin machine? There are 2 normal ones that I have left to get but I only have 28 coins remaining...

pariah164

Finished it, loved it, regret reading about the other games/mangas ect

The game is best enjoyed with no spoilers or even hints towards something, my mistake was reading the synopsis of Danganronpa Zero but thankfully I was on the last chapter so not the whole game was ruined.

How do I get the last 8 (?) things from the coin machine? There are 2 normal ones that I have left to get but I only have 28 coins remaining...
There are items on the list that can only be obtained in school mode. And just spend 1 coin. You can get more if you need them from replaying trials.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, recently finished this after putting it away for awhile. While I really enjoyed it all the way through I kinda thought the end was a bit of a let down. I know they want it to be vague but the way they presented I
the tragedy
was so nonsensical that it loses some of the impact. I hope they expand more on
the tragedy
in 2.

So, recently finished this after putting it away for awhile. While I really enjoyed it all the way through I kinda thought the end was a bit of a let down. I know they want it to be vague but the way they presented I
the tragedy
was so nonsensical that it loses some of the impact. I hope they expand more on
the tragedy
in 2.
You should probably spoiler the parts I spoilered in your post.

Picked up this game shortly after it came out in preparation for when I got a Vita, which was when the 2000 model released.

Beat the main story this past week. Thought I post some impressions of my play through here. I was lucky to go into this pretty much blind. I think I might have seen some spoilers about the mastermind beforehand, but managed to forget them by the time I started playing.

I enjoyed the characters, setting, and story. The gameplay was certainly unique. Talking to the other characters during free time and learning about them was nice, along with unlocking new skills. The English voice acting was great. I watched some of the anime after beating the game, and I preferred the English voices more, especially Monokuma's voice. It just sounds more sinister than the Japanese.
The investigation portion was pretty similar to Ace attorney. The trial portion caught me off guard a bit, I wasn't expected it to be as face paced as it was.
The standard contradicting testimony kept you on your toes, requiring good timing, as well as figuring out the contradiction. There were a couple times I had trouble, but for the most part I was able to put the pieces together no problem. There were a couple times as was to eager and shot the right evidence to early before hearing every statement.
The fill in the blank portions could have been a bit better, though I see what they were going for. The first one I did I almost failed because I didn't realize you had to shoot a letter multiple times to use it.
The rhythm retort sections were probably the weakest part, being the most repetitive. The only interesting part of those were the ones where you quickly had to pick the right evidence.

This post is getting long, so I'll save the specific impressions of each chapter for later.

Edit: Almost forgot to mentioned I loved the soundtrack as well, really added to the mood.

Fireblend

Banned
Just started playing this, and I've got some questions:

How important is talking to the right person at the right time? Knowing I may be missing out on important conversations just because I chose the wrong ones freaks me out.

Also, how important are gifts? Should I be offering presents to everyone I talk to? How important is it that they like them?

This game is some sort of OCD nightmare, worse than P4G :lol

Trigger

How important is talking to the right person at the right time? Knowing I may be missing out on important conversations just because I chose the wrong ones freaks me out.

Also, how important are gifts? Should I be offering presents to everyone I talk to? How important is it that they like them?

1) Not important at all. There's an extra game mode where you can hang out with everyone and fill out the report card. Your time is better spent hanging with people you like as the story continues.

2) Gifts help things along, but they're not vital.

The social links in this aren't really comparable to Persona 4. There is no "talking to the right person at the right time". All the conversations do is add more depth to the characters and teach you some techniques for trials that aren't anywhere near as vital as the benefits s. links in P4 give you. You could go the whole game and not to talk to anyone and you'd be perfectly fine.

As for gifts, you should give the person what you think they'll like so they talk about themselves more. They might hate the gift and will still get to the next "level" of conversation due to talking to them before. So yeah, you should give a gift to everyone you speak to.

Darksol

Does anyone know where to find a school-mode guide for building friendship levels?
Game done, building projects done, just want a guide to where to bring each character, and what to say.

Past

They finally put Danganronpa avatars on PSN. Awesomeee.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ca/search/f=^danganronpa|bucket~games%3Agame_content_type~avatars|?smcid=ps:show-now:visit-playstation-store:ps-playstation-store

Who the hell is Santa Shikiba though?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
damn this all. i'm gonna bug NISA about this through email since their twitter is fucking useless.

lA3z9Xg.jpg

In June apparently, taken from some advertisement, but I cropped it because spoilers.

LiK

I dunno, maybe he'll be included in the second batch, it'd be silly to not have the damn game's mascot available.

But still, Hina soon.

true, at least i can get her. so weird she's split up from the rest. it's like they don't want people's moneys.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
true, at least i can get her. so weird she's split up from the rest. it's like they don't want people's moneys.

What's weirder is that they have two VERY spoilerific avatars, one is only a spoiler if you know who they are, one was only mentioned in game (I never saw a portrait (maybe in the extras?)) and some.. random guy who I'm not sure who they even are.

Shoulda just released them in one whole pack, why the wait. It's silly.

I'm waiting until next week to get any avs, I hope they'll have a bundle or something.

Also, in case anyone hasn't being paying attention: DO NOT LOOK AT THE PSN AVATARS UNLESS YOU'VE BEATEN THE GAME. THANKS.

Is there a demo for this game? It has my interest formsome reason as of late, but I can't justify a full 40$ gamble. Any suggestions, or anyone know where I can find one for 20-25$ ?

Top Bottom