• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno Crossing the Line?

El-Suave

That's probably a USK 12 rating in Germany judging from these pictures. ;-) Come on guys, if that's a line you can't cross, gaming will never grow up.

It just makes me sick that I have to defend this game of all games, because this is one of their selling points.

It's funny but this is probably the best thing I've seen from the game yet. Everything else is so derivative - it's nice to see that they're thinking up some things for themselves.. even if it is all for shock value. Scorpion tail vag ftw.

Kimosabae

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
Right, GoW clearly is the only title that should be released in a certain genre! Fuck you if you want to release a casual laughably bad style over substance action game, God of war should be the only one!

You, or anyone that stands by this argument is an idiot.

I don't have a problem with a game being generally inspired by another game in a genre, to perpetuate that genre. If that truly were the problem, then guess what? There'd be no such term as "genre".

The problem is the game's blatant aping of mechanics and presentation. If the game feels like GoW re-skinned, why the fuck wouldn't I just play GoW? Especially if, unlike GoW, it doesn't actually pay any respect to its own source material?

Ardorx

Banned
Someone had told me that in the story, there was a reference to something like the monsters coming out of the woman's breast.

By the way, I see nothing wrong with this compared to other things seen in Dante and God of War III.

Ripping off a guys head or cutting the guts out of a demon is fine but don't you dare have monsters coming out of some chicks breasts in a game that promises the most gruesome version of hell yet!

jett

D-Member
Kimosabae said:

I don't have a problem with a game being generally inspired by another game in a genre, to perpetuate that genre. If that truly were the problem, then guess what? There'd be no such term as "genre".

The problem is the game's blatant aping of mechanics and presentation. If the game feels like GoW re-skinned, why the fuck wouldn't I just play GoW? Especially if, unlike GoW, doesn't actually pay any respect to its source material?

It is a bit bullshit that game journalists haven't bothered to bring up the issue, at least not in any interview I've seen. I guess they're worried EA will pull ads or whatever.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...eos/tgs09_dantesinferno_broll_cut_092309.html

Shit they even have puzzles revolving around pulling several levers. I mean really, what the hell is this?

squicken said:
If there's a thread on this, I didn't see anything recent. The only place I can find video of it is on IGN Insider (I wont post it so don't ask).

Basically, that giant woman in the videos so far, she has her nipples sawed off. And from the nipples these little flying babies come crawling out. She then hurls them at the player.

Another enemy is a naked woman who essentially has a giant vagina arm come from her crotch to attack the player.

Anyway, IGN Insider has a discussion about it. They won't put those segments of the video up with all the other vids, as they feel it's too far just disgusting. I took a couple screen grabs of the offending parts.

NSFW

http://i36.tinypic.com/26096y1.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/1231g0h.jpg

This really is in poor taste.

I don't see the big deal with either one.

If nipple guns and vagina arms are the most heinous thing one can imagine, that person must have lived a rather sheltered life, this is nothing.

If people are looking at this to have some sort of discussion about sexism in games, than I'd be interested in hearing what the have to say. But if this is getting kicked up as another "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN??" argument than to hell with it.

It seems like every last thing about this game is over the top in order to garner publicity...and nothing more. There's a difference between staying true to some source idea and simply being offensive so it gets people talking about your game

So when I look at pictures like that I'm disgusted. Not because I don't think it fits into the "hell" idea, but rather, because they're using it as a stupid gimmick

tokkun

So the gory violence in the game is fine, but depictions of nude bodies offend the OP's delicate sensibilities.

Kimosabae

Banned
jett said:
It is a bit bullshit that game journalists haven't bothered to bring up the issue, at least not in any interview I've seen. I guess they're worried EA will pull ads or whatever.

Oh, they bring it up: as snide asides in blog articles to fan fanboy bullshit in the comments sections.

Dragmire

It's not really offensive, it's just overdone like they're trying so very hard to be cool and shocking. In other words... bad art. :p

Zophar

Sipowicz said:
bwahahaha. you deserve an inspirational picture

mikehilarious.jpg

It's the exact same defenestration as this, only not as a joke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkmjI8gLKYI

Xater

Dragmire said:
It's not really offensive, it's just overdone like they're trying so very hard to be cool and shocking. In other words... bad art. :p

But even bad art a right to exist, so I don't care. If somebody doesn#t like it, just don't buy it.

squicken said:
If there's a thread on this, I didn't see anything recent. The only place I can find video of it is on IGN Insider (I wont post it so don't ask).

Basically, that giant woman in the videos so far, she has her nipples sawed off. And from the nipples these little flying babies come crawling out. She then hurls them at the player.

Another enemy is a naked woman who essentially has a giant vagina arm come from her crotch to attack the player.

Anyway, IGN Insider has a discussion about it. They won't put those segments of the video up with all the other vids, as they feel it's too far just disgusting. I took a couple screen grabs of the offending parts.

NSFW

http://i36.tinypic.com/26096y1.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/1231g0h.jpg

This really is in poor taste.

Thanks. Day 1 purchase for me now.

El-Suave

The more upsetting thing about this is probably that IGN has discovered some new, higher standards for their work apparently. Maybe they should clarify those in a top 10 list article.

hamchan

Kimosabae said:

The problem is the game's blatant aping of mechanics and presentation. If the game feels like GoW re-skinned, why the fuck wouldn't I just play GoW? Especially if, unlike GoW, it doesn't actually pay any respect to its own source material?
Because the game might still be good? I don't see the problem if it feels like GoW because that game is awesome. Throw in some nice puzzles, set pieces and enemies and i'll be there day one.

Ramenman

Btw I don't think it's "crossing the line". It's certainly disturbing but this isn't the first disturbing game ever.

What I do find sad is all the attention-whore attitude this game has had since the beginning. Like "PULEAAAAAZE LOOK AT MEEEEEEE".

I mean if you've got nothing else to show aside from provocating imagery / press stunts to promote your game it can't bode well for the game itself right ?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Zophar said:
Dante's Inferno crossed the line the moment someone decided to turn an epic poem about finding salvation into a video game about killing monsters.
yup. My delicate sensibilities can handle a sawed off nipple leaking babies onto the underworld, but this smug boasting of rape I can not stand.

Lain

The only thing crossing the line is the shittiness of the textures in those screenshots. OMG my poor eyes.

bad10

Banned
I thought this topic was about its hardcore plagiarism (just like Deadspace)

Guess the boobies are more shocking

Nameless

squicken said:

Jesus Christ(see what i did there?) .This is why game journalism fails. I haven't followed this game much to be honest, but when it was first announced I thought it could be cool as long as they made Hell as disturbing, twisted and unpleasant as possible(isn't that sorta the point?). Titty monsters & cunty limbs weren't exactly what I had in mind, but I applaud EA for at least trying.

Pro Tip: If you are truly offended by this stay far far away from the actual epic.

jett

D-Member
hamchan said:
Because the game might still be good? I don't see the problem if it feels like GoW because that game is awesome. Throw in some nice puzzles, set pieces and enemies and i'll be there day one.

It doesn't feel like GOW. It is exactly like GOW. I really don't understand why the Dead Space devs did this to be honest.

Kimosabae

Banned
hamchan said:

If you're willing to play a game just because it's "good"; good for you. You obviously have a surplus in time and resources I don't have the luxury to possess.

Me? I'm more judicious in the games I play -- I guess you can call it being "picky". I want every game I play to provide me a unique experience not only because I'm easily bored with video games, but because that dovetails with my anti-corporate sensibilities.

I hope you enjoy the game as much as you seem to think you will.

Dascu

How can anyone take this game seriously anymore? It's become a mockery of itself which was already a parody of the original text. It's embarrassing.

SirPenguin said:
It seems like every last thing about this game is over the top in order to garner publicity...and nothing more. There's a difference between staying true to some source idea and simply being offensive so it gets people talking about your game

So when I look at pictures like that I'm disgusted. Not because I don't think it fits into the "hell" idea, but rather, because they're using it as a stupid gimmick

I see what you mean.

But someone making a thread for this just means it's working, they're getting noticed.

Just ignore em'.

Of course people are offended by this (surprise surprise)

I applaude! (And even though this may be out of place at times, it's just another step towards a more mature videogame industry, also in regards to the movies)

squicken

tokkun said:
So the gory violence in the game is fine, but depictions of nude bodies offend the OP's delicate sensibilities.

I love gory violence, and I love hot nude bodies. I just don't like them together.

Dascu

Ardorx said:
Wait, is that worse? Is this game tame in comparison?
It had some creepy descriptions here and there, but I don't remember it being as gory as anything shown in this game, nor was it as explicit about it. Here, they're just using it for the shock value.
shennmu said:
Of course people are offended by this (surprise surprise)

I applaude! (And even though this may be out of place at times, it's just another step towards a more mature videogame industry, also in regards to the movies)
:lol
You might as well call guro hentai the maturation of comic books.

I'm not really disturbed, but maybe that's because I can easily see polygons and typical plastic wrap look. Makes me appreciate Silent Hill 3 a lot more instead.

Scribble

Oh, they're not really babies. Just goblin things. It would have been more shocking if they were (green tinted) human babies

Ah, one wonders what my game collection would look like without my anti-corporate sensibilities. Luckily my bullshit dovetails with it nicely.

Top Bottom