• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Beta Footage

I've heard Tanimura say multiple times that the game will be of a similar size though. And level designers aren't numerous like artists and programmers, so doubling their number isn't the huge increase you're probably imagining.

I've heard this too, from one of the earliest interviews I think, but they also said the world will be a lot more dense whilst geographically being a similar size. I'd expect that means more levels like the burg where everything is on top of everything and less Lost Izalith where its nothing but lava and dragon butts for miles.

UnrealEck

Wish they would have done a PC beta so we can see how the game really looks graphically. The animations and the sound seem so so. They've disabled the awful physics for corpses from the previous two games but why didn't they work on some sort of proper ragdoll system?

FaintDeftone

I want to see a video of someone killing that boss. He doesn't look too hard; these players need to focus on taking out the damn bonewheels first (unless they respawn).

is epic name bro in the beta? is he live streaming the beta?

changed because i welp he's epic dude bro to me

Lol if he was epic dude bro he would be uploading gears of war lore videos

I can imagine some people being turned off by invaders being able to use flasks, but really it's no different from popping humanity. I think the timer for invasions is a genius idea. Force invaders to be aggressive since there's no time for dicking around. Host should always have an edge in such matters.

I didn't think about this but I guess it makes sense. Up until now I was only thinking of the timer applying to co-op, but I should have realised it would apply to invaders too. I wonder how they are gonna go with balancing things when an invader is outnumbered or ganked now? Can't set an ambush and wait because of timer, can't outmaneuver and backstab because you aren't invincible while stabbing so you'll just get attacked during the stab, can't bring more powerful weapons from further ahead in the game since elemental weapons are now stat dependent...Are invaders gonna be laughably weak now?

A couple of times in this video the player blocked a hit from a bigger enemy and it looked like the hit knocked them sideways so the next hit would've probably hit them for damage despite still blocking (both times they rolled out of the way).

Also the parrying animation looks a lot closer to Demon's than Dark. I don't know if this is part of the agility stat and the window for parrying would get longer the higher you level the stat, but it definately looked more like the DeS deflect type parry, quicker.

Soriku

I remember seeing this, as well. He, or someone else, said that the world map was going to be roughly the same size; however, it'll be more densely populated.

Hmm if true then something must've been miscommunicated with the 2x as big news.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Seemed pretty comparable to the Dark Souls animation speed.

They're definitely slower. You may also notice you walk a couple of steps before actually taking a chug now. So far the healing items seem to have been nerfed in this regard, which is a good thing imo. They should be for when you really need them and are sure you can get a safe swig in. That way players will learn to concentrate more on the fight and how to be good, rather than relying on a full bar of health all the time.

Soriku

They're definitely slower. You may also notice you walk a couple of steps before actually taking a chug now. So far the healing items seem to have been nerfed in this regard, which is a good thing imo. They should be for when you really need them and are sure you can get a safe swig in. That way players will learn to concentrate more on the fight and how to be good, rather than relying on a full bar of health all the time.

Estus is slower (enemies also charge at you when you use them) but there are also other consumable healing items (similar to grass) that are faster I believe.

Grief.exe

Think he means the actual regeneration speed.

I like it. You can't just tank repeated hits by bosses until they stop just by chugging between hits.

There seem to be two separate healing items now.

Estus Flasks for that instant health and some kind of gem that gives you that heal over time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So many flaws in the video, but hey we'll see!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Well, Agility makes you use items more faster, so invest some points in this stat if you want the old speed of Estus drinking.

This stuff is from a chinese video that appears to show areas yet to be shown on other videos:

- Monster black phantoms (alhtough the area had no regular enemies, so might be placeholders.

- Demon Souls style NPC Black Phantoms. Specifically I'm talking a big hulking knight with a tower shield and a sword the size of California.

- Flowing capes are a thing. And they look awesome.

edit:

The NPC black phantom was rocking hard the player... seems we're back to demon souls style npc black phantoms, no longer wimpy kirk or maneater freesouls mildred it appears.

Boss spoilers ahead:

After the NPC black phantom, there's a fog gate that leads to the chariot boss (first encounter if i understood what the devs said at e3). Remember the other boss encounter with skeleton wheels? Looks like boss adds are a thing now. The chariot boss has regenerating skeletons, Nito style.

{[40410000, An unusual ring of unknown origin. Limits the wearer's HP reduction when hollow.

Though the desire to regain one's lost power is only human, this ring will not truly return its wearer to the living.]} Basically Cling Ring confirmed.

I had a feeling this would come back.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

FROM you beasts! This is more like Demons DSouls which I love. Black phantoms are finally as threatening as they were in Demons souls and NPC phantoms hnnnnnng. I hope we get a phantom as hard as this guy:

bp-satsuki-large-rear.jpg

I've always felt that the AI got dumbed down in Dark souls. The phantoms didn't seem aggressive at all.

Also invaders can estus hahahaha gankers am cry.
HYpe is through the roof now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

FROM you beasts! This is more like Demons DSouls which I love. Black phantoms are finally as threatening as they were in Demons souls and NPC phantoms hnnnnnng. I hope we get a phantom as hard as this guy:

bp-satsuki-large-rear.jpg

I've always felt that the AI got dumbed down in Dark souls. The phantoms didn't seem aggressive at all.

Also invaders can estus hahahaha gankers am cry.
HYpe is through the roof now.

Satsuki was so fucking good.

Collection of known Dark Souls II features from recent beta videos and articles
General
Movement speed is increased.
Sprinting speed is now close to charging speed.
Estus restoration is now slower than Dark Souls I.
Action speed is dependent on Agility (More explained in the stats section).
Getting hit with plated armor makes a "clank" sound rather than a fleshy sound.
Humanity is now replaced with "Human Effigies".
Bonfire is no longer needed to turn human, just Human Effigies to turn human instantly.
Human Effigies don't restore health.
Healing stones are a new healing item.
Healing stones can be used when moving, but restoration speed (and/or amount) is dependent on stone type.
Three items in each hand.
Hollowed players can now get invaded.
Dedicated servers for better connections.
Enemies are more tenacious.
Enemies ambush around items.
Enemies switch from ranged to melee frequently.
More types of soapstones (Or different styles of soapstones).
Ranged weapons can be used while moving.
The more times died while hollow, the more your base health is reduced, similar to curse (Restored once humanity is restored).
Many previous sets from Dark Souls I will make an appearance in Dark Souls II.
Rings and arrows will give burden instead of being weightless, different from Dark Souls I.

Phantoms
Phantoms can be around when you light a Bonfire.
Phantoms can now drink estus, but restoration is incredibly slow.
Summoned Phantoms are now on a time limit depending on White Soapstone size.
Summoned Phantoms have a health reduction.
Hourglasses can be seen on Summoned Phantoms to probably show their time limit.
Phantoms reduce their time by killing enemies, player must throw their weight this time around.
When playing as a White Phantom, a message saying "Task Completed" will show when you're time limit is done. You'll be returned back home.

Covenants
Darkwraiths are now called the "Brotherhood of Blood".
New covenant "Way of the Blue" (Not official name) has players assist other invaded players.
Gravelording is still a possibility.

Animations
Many new realistic and fast animations with the help from MOCAP.
New emotes.
Players show fatigue when low on stamina.
Tumbling when the player falls from certain distances.
Different backstabs for different weapons.

UI
Summoned Phantom's health can now be monitored at the side of the screen.
Humanity counter now replaced with an icon (Rumored to be covenant icon?).
A heading appears at the top of the screen at times (Game news?).
More minimalist hud, item circle in lower left minimizes when not in use, entire hud disappears when not in use. Status effect icons are still visible.
Using gestures doesn't take you out of the gesture screen.
Gesture screen enlarged.
Bonfire screen zooms in on character.

Inventory
New inventory screen.
More in depth weapon categories (Straight swords, sabers, rapiers, polearms, etc).
Total of 40 items shown on each page with a description at the bottom.
Inventory screen zooms in on your character on the right.
Items can be used on the inventory screen without exiting.

Graphics
New lighting system that gives an even more realistic look.
More detailed faces and bodies.
Beards are included.
Cloth physics that react to the world.
Lighting Bonfires create an aura that lights up the room.

Colbert

Banned
Woohooo Magic looks much more badass. Backstab has changed a lot. Spending point much more complex than in predecessor. Excitement, march cannot come soon enough!

Satsuki in NG+ is wayyyy worse than this wench, who's easily backstabbed after she whiffs. Satsuki is a bitch who grasses. :(
I was just going to say when I recently platinumed DeS, Satsuki gave me so much trouble on NG+, one rushing attack and it's YOU DIED! IIRC, he could heal too. A far distance from knowing the spawn points of Kirk and just waiting for a free backstab!

Also I really like that Human Effigies work more like Stone of Ephemeral Eyes than humanity, much more slim-lined.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like they are just making the player handicapped more and more instead of it being what it use to be. If u die its ur mistake.

if u die hollow u start with less health - so not only you lose souls you start with health missing really whats the point.

Being invaded while hollow again whats the point.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Increased movement speed is the only thing on that list that bothers me... and it bothers me a lot.

if u die hollow u start with less health - so not only you lose souls you start with health missing really whats the point.

The point is don't die. Cultivating a fear of death is good, death isn't supposed to be cheap in Souls games, hence why you have to retrieve your bloodstain. Also play Demon's souls, it works perfectly fine there, and that game has even harsher penalties for dying (blackens world tendency, which makes the level harder).

Raxus

I hope getting effigies are still easy like humanity last game. Made things one less big headache.

I hate they 'nerfed' co-op so much. It just means more summon signs by boss gates. I will see how the time limit pans out.

Assigning weight to arrows is pretty evil of them.

Yoshichan

Many previous sets from Dark Souls I will make an appearance in Dark Souls II.
Oh fuck no.

Sounds like they are just making the player handicapped more and more instead of it being what it use to be. If u die its ur mistake.

The point is to make an incentive to go human, just like Demon's Souls.

As for invasions whilst hollow, they already said there will be an ingame way to avoid invasions.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
There seem to be two separate healing items now.

Estus Flasks for that instant health and some kind of gem that gives you that heal over time.
Yeah, but what I said is still true. Estus regen speed is much slower and the stones are even slower than that.

Ulumsk

looks_good_thumb.jpg

Just started playing Demon's Souls for the first time (SLTTP I know). Beat the first boss and I'm now in so deep in it's funny. I totally waited too long to play this. I guess I should move on to Dark Souls 1 before GFWL implodes just in case.

qream

Being invaded while hollow again whats the point.

They're bringing it back to Demon Souls where once you die, you loose 50% of your health. You'll get used to it.

NBtoaster

They're bringing it back to Demon Souls where once you die, you loose 50% of your health. You'll get used to it.

But it's not really great game design. The punishment for failure is the loss of progress and souls, why make it harder on top of that?

But it's not really great game design. The punishment for failure is the loss of progress and souls, why make it harder on top of that?

you answered your own question, punishment.
That's part of the reasons demon souls was the more hardcore game, i guess their bringing dark up to specs.

Sullichin

Thanks for the link.

Rings have weight... what.

Brotherhood of Blood... badass

I really like that red phantom enemies seem to be more prevalent.

Lots of fail designs.
Ring and arrow increase burden.
Death reduce hp and stacks? What if you run out of humanity?

Sounds like it's somewhere between Dark Souls & Demon's Souls. Instead of immediately getting the 50% health penalty for dying like you would in Demon's Souls, you get a smaller one that stacks. And there's a cling ring equivalent, too. Now there's actually an obvious reason for going human unlike Dark Souls, and it's not as harsh as Demon's.
Burden for rings and arrows is weird though. I mean I carry 999 of those shits.

Top Bottom