• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

Skinpop

Yeah, it's not just the lighting, the geometry has been gutted! That's certainly not making it back in!

Even if by some miracle the lighting goes back on the pc version (don't count on it), the geometry will still have been removed due to console limitations! /'price is right' lose track

I'm pretty sure it wasn't gutted for performance reasons but rather for art direction reasons. Anything else doesn't make sense.

The fact is: if the game was build with dynamic lights in mind (so the lights can create a determinate mood and atmosphere), removing this will create another atmosphere.

Just take a look at the first image: you can see this small corridor that leads in a dark place.
The atmosphere is intriguing, there's some mystery.

Take the second image: a grey wall corridor where you can see the end. It's cold, you'll pass it and go on.
yeah but your observation is just a fantasy and completely removed from context. Maybe they had other than technical reasons for redoing that place?

Hi-Scores_

Neo Member
This is not the point of the thread tho. and it's not just "deep shadow". look at eariler screenshots and posts in this thread.

we have an awful false advertising going on (think something like Aliens: Colonial Marines) when what the dev showed to journalists and got hyped for months with videos and screenshots is different than the final game, developers changing game before release.

Even the art direction and atmosphere you are talking about got a big hit from this downgrade, read the eariler post to see how the atmosphere in location is now flat and soulless because of the removal of dynamic lighting. even their new gameplay mechanics got hit from this.

I can agree to the false advertising, but it's a minor thing to me. I don't feel that fromsoft or any other company owes me anything, I appreciate that we get another entry in the series so soon after the last. Lots of companies wanna put their best foot forward at e3. Also I'd take another look at the last e3 trailer, it was one of the few live action trailers at the whole show and it was sporting it's current look I believe.

doofy102

I'm pretty sure it wasn't gutted for performance reasons but rather for art direction reasons. Anything else doesn't make sense.

Though you may not be wrong, it seems like kind of a weak answer to this.

Mirror Knight change makes no sense - no way in heck any artist would want that.

Edit: and its worth keeping in mind I suppose that normal rooms are often the most boring environments in any souls game and the games always look much better outdoors. It seems it's the same here. Oh well, this sucks but goodnight gaf, enjoy the game.

yeah but your observation is just a fantasy and completely removed from context. Maybe they had other than technical reasons for redoing that place?

The Network Test (Beta) from a few months ago still had all these lighting effects. Players reported that there were framerate issues in many area's. It is likely From didn't want another Blightown situation, this time with much of the game, so they pulled the trigger to downgrade for performance reasons.

Skinpop

Though you may not be wrong, it seems like kind of a weak answer to this.

Mirror Knight change makes no sense - no way in heck any artist would want that.

I agree that Mirror Knight looks fishy, not arguing that. But it's just a still, would have to see it in motion. There's a lot of lighting and effects going on in that fight so a single screenshot doesn't tell the whole story.

As for the wall, I'ts obvious to me that the geometry being different is due to a redesign, not down-scaling on geometry.

The Network Test (Beta) from a few months ago still had all these lighting effects. Players reported that there were framerate issues in many area's. It is likely From didn't want another Blightown situation, this time with much of the game, so they pulled the trigger to downgrade for performance reasons.

Well they must have done some extensive revisions...

Would be a shame to lose all that superior content to satisfy the consoles.. You'd think they would leave the PC version untouched.. I mean.. you would hope, considering how they talked up the PC version as the lead platform..

Skinpop

I played the beta, the framerate was solid. What are thos technical reasons?

Because I haven't seen framerate drop or similar, and during the beta I used a lot of torches.

What I'm saying is they had other than technical reasons, meaning probably aesthetic or design reasons - like maybe it didn't fit with the level or convey the mood/atmosphere they were after.
(specifically talking about the geo, not the lighting)

BTW: when is review embargo going out?

Grief.exe

What I'm saying is they had other than technical reasons, meaning probably aesthetic or design reasons

From must have done a number on their artistic staff then. The final build is even a downgrade on Dark Souls 1 aesthetics, design, and graphical extras.

Anyone cancelling their pre order over this was never a fan of the Souls series to begin with. The game still looks like Souls. A big part of the change isn't just technical, the colors/other visual decisions are clearly different. The intensity of light around the bonfire for instance, is different probably for artistic reasons more than anything technical.

I'll be honest, I'm somewhat disappointed, because I really loved the look of the demo, but seriously just play the game. I was excited for 2 before I even saw what it would look like, this isn't going to stop that and it really shouldn't be stopping you if you enjoyed Demon's or Dark Souls.

UnrealEck

I'm rapidly losing faith in the PC version looking like it did in the older demos. I feel if I pre-order the game I will be dissapointed. Not only have they delayed the game for over six weeks but they've likely stripped the PC version of many effects and reduced geometry detail simply because the console version had to have them stripped too.

I doubt they're going to show any videos either because it'll just prove everyone's predictions of a downgrade right.

Despite all this I'm really looking forward to playing tomorrow. I'm not even sure what class I'm going to choose, I figure I might just do the first playthrough blind, but I kind of wish there was a list of helpful tips so as not to miss out on some good things that are easy to pass by on your first playthrough without knowing.

Bedlam

I'll be honest, I'm somewhat disappointed, because I really loved the look of the demo, but seriously just play the game. I was excited for 2 before I even saw what it would look like, this isn't going to stop that and it really shouldn't be stopping you if you enjoyed Demon's or Dark Souls.

Of course not. I'm still extremely excited to play the game. But as you said, it's disappointing nevertheless and it warrants discussion.

Grief.exe

Despite all this I'm really looking forward to playing tomorrow. I'm not even sure what class I'm going to choose, I figure I might just do the first playthrough blind, but I kind of wish there was a list of helpful tips so as not to miss out on some good things that are easy to pass by on your first playthrough without knowing.

Souls series is meant for multiple playthroughs, just play blind and have fun. Play through again and check out the things you missed.

Jiraiza

I'm not sure I understand the "PC won't have it" responses. Why wouldn't they? PCs come in all shapes and forms so I'm assuming the options to adjust the graphics should be plenty as well... that includes enabling lighting and all that jazz.

Am I missing something?

I'm completely fine with that, if that's truly the case. I just wish they would have announced that to the public is all. Wouldn't have caused such a huge backlash. I still have no doubt this game will be great.

RK9039

I'm not sure I understand the "PC won't have it" responses. Why wouldn't they? PCs come in all shapes and forms so I'm assuming the options to adjust the graphics should be plenty as well... that includes enabling lighting and all that jazz.

Am I missing something?

Nonsense.

PCs don't have options.

Grief.exe

I'm completely fine with that, if that's truly the case. I just wish they would have announced that to the public is all. Wouldn't have caused such a huge backlash. I still have no doubt this game will be great.

I've never seen a PR campaign focus on something negative. Sometimes they have to acknowledge something due to overwhelming public outcry, but they tend to spin it. In this case, I think they can say they had to remove the features for performance concerns.

My only concern, at this point, is the PC version, will these effects be present at all? Or will we have to live with a stripped down game?

Vitor711

Am I missing something?

Changing lighting isn't just a simple toggle in an .ini file. If it's been stripped out, the engine could have been fundamentally changed to work without out.

Also, few people have faith in the technical ability of FROM to deliver an outstanding PC port, especially after the first. We hope beyond hope, but the track record isn't there, even with all the positive PR speak they've been giving on the quality of the PC version.

Sullichin

The PR for the PC release only mentioned improved texture resolution and framerate. I think if it included a whole suite of lighting effects missing from the console games, they would mention it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

funny because last year they said they changed the engine because of the framerate.

But now they change the game and have huge last minutes downgrades because of the framerate? were they sleeping and not testing the game and levels while making it? that incompetence at a whole new level if so.

Grief.exe

The PR for the PC release only mentioned improved texture resolution and framerate. I think if it included a whole suite of lighting effects missing from the console games, they would mention it.

That would cannibalize console sales though. Remember, Bandai is looking for people to double dip on the definitive version.

Resolution/Frame Rate has been par for the course for decades. Completely revamped lighting system is something else entirely.

What's ironic to me is console players only seem to care when it is differences between multiplatform console versions. IE 20,000 post thread on resolution/frame rate difference for Tomb Raider PS4/XBO versions. Just something I find incredibly amusing, has nothing to do with my point.

Anyone cancelling their pre order over this was never a fan of the Souls series to begin with.

sorry but that's simply not true-

seeing how great a game looks and runs for literally a year and then right before release have the game shown looking completely different. From really swindled the fans. I can easily see people cancelling over this.

I kept my preorder because the CE looks awesome-but I doubt I will touch the game until I get the much discounted PC version later.

Bedlam

Am I missing something?
Apart from what Vitor said, you're missing the possibility that it's an intentional design decision.

I really wouldn't expect the PC version to have much more bells and whistles than the console version. Higher resolution, better framerate, maybe better textures at best. That's it.

UnrealEck

Am I missing something?

For things like graphical effects. The lighting and shadows for example, yes. But for things like the actual design of the levels, the design of the geometry, no. However I think we're a bit apprehensive of FROM's work on a PC game. I don't understand in all honesty how a developer can screw up things so simple though. Like with Dark Souls on PC, they didn't even have proper render resolution options but instead it upscaled the game. It blew my mind how they messed something like that up. They're game developers. They make games, it is in my opinion a good guess that they would know how the graphics engine works and how generally 3D graphics work. This is their job. This is what they've done for years. How can they not put a simple menu option into the game that changes the resolution the game is rendered at? It's like a simple engine parameter.

This is one of the reasons I don't put a whole lot of faith into FROM keeping the graphical effects as an option in the PC version. However, if they were already in the engine, especially rescently, I assume there's a strong chance they could be re-enabled if someone could access those parameters for the graphics engine and just switch them on.

What's ironic to me is console players only seem to care when it is differences between multiplatform console versions. IE 20,000 post thread on resolution/frame rate difference for Tomb Raider PS4/XBO versions. Just something I find incredibly amusing, has nothing to do with my point.

I think it's more about people who own both/all platforms deciding on which to get the game on. I'll get the PC version when it's on sale - right now though, I need the better version of Souls right in my veins.

Sullichin

That would cannibalize console sales though. Remember, Bandai is looking for people to double dip on the definitive version.

Resolution/Frame Rate has been par for the course for decades. Completely revamped lighting system is something else entirely.

I'd like to be wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for improved lighting in the PC version.
It's going to be amazing to be able to play this without load times when it comes to PC.

Gbraga

I think some people are missing the point, it's not a big deal to me either in-game and I also agree that people cancelling their pre-order over this are overreacting, BUT, it's their right to, it's not up to you or me to decide what is or isn't valid reason to cancel pre-orders, but if the game didn't leak, people wouldn't even get the chance to cancel their pre-orders before knowing this, only after they've been charged and had the game on their consoles they'd find out about this.

I think the game looks great, but what if I didn't? Would my reaction be the same?

New trailer, a bit of new footage of the downgraded Mirror Knight fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A-tl-pJAR4#t=1m38s

Several parts of the trailer don't even have motion blur and the framerate is bad. WTF.

darksouls2locomotivebj9z5n.png

I'm rapidly losing faith in the PC version looking like it did in the older demos. I feel if I pre-order the game I will be dissapointed. Not only have they delayed the game for over six weeks but they've likely stripped the PC version of many effects and reduced geometry detail simply because the console version had to have them stripped too.

I doubt they're going to show any videos either because it'll just prove everyone's predictions of a downgrade right.

Not that I believe it, but there's still hope that the reason it was delayed 6 weeks was to put all that good stuff back in the game. Not like it has cross console play, so if they could shovel a lot of what was lost in the console transition, that'd be ideal, and it might be easy to do in six weeks time..

If that's not true though and it's just about double dipping... why not delay the PC version longer? Why not have not even mentioned a PC release until much later, Rockstar style, and maybe spend all that time making it completely definitive?

There's not much point to these discussions now until we get some answers on the development side though. Just getting irritated.. Should probably just wait for the PC version and play the game.. Sucks to take it on faith though, where some deception has took place.

Sullichin

I think some people are missing the point, it's not a big deal to me either in-game and I also agree that people cancelling their pre-order over this are overreacting, BUT, it's their right to, it's not up to you or me to decide what is or isn't valid reason to cancel pre-orders, but if the game didn't leak, people wouldn't even get the chance to cancel their pre-orders before knowing this, only after they've been charged and had the game on their consoles they'd find out about this.

I think the game looks great, but what if I didn't? Would my reaction be the same?

But people were complaining about the lighting in the last several batches of screenshots. There's also been footage of the release/near release version on Vaati's youtube channel, IGN, etc.

Thrakier

Or they wouldn't (just yet) so that there is no console gamers uproar. :)

Anyone who cancels their pre order, they are souls fans regardless. It is ENTIRELY understandable!! Also, for people expecting the original demo version to be the PC version.
Do you really think From will have two versions of Dark Souls 2? One without the darkness game mechanic and one with it?

Yeah, it's not just the lighting, the geometry has been gutted! That's certainly not making it back in!

Even if by some miracle the lighting goes back on the PC version (don't count on it), the geometry will still have been removed due to console limitations! /'price is right' lose track

You been watching Archer, too? :D

archer_price_is_right_fail_trumpet_losing_horn_by_digi_matrix-d79o42n.gif

Krakn3Dfx

Had the PS3 CE pre-ordered on Amazon, but between their inability to provide a ship date and stuff like this, I went ahead and cancelled and bought the PC version for $40 on GMG. Still burning through DS1 at this point, and March isn't exactly barren for new games, so I can wait it out.

Anyone cancelling their pre order over this was never a fan of the Souls series to begin with.
This should be at the top of every new page of this way-too-long thread.

Are you kidding? So if you were a fan of an old game, you throw your money at and defend with all your might, any future release? Is there even room to express negative opinions with this type of thinking?

What if it's shit? What if it's completely uninspired garbage, the likes of which is extremely common in sequels territory? I'm not saying that's the case for Dark Souls 2, but I do suspect it's not going to quite live up to Demon's, or Dark Souls, and if that's someone's expectation, and evidence and player opinion show up supporting these beliefs, I wouldn't hold it against that individual should he pull his preorder. I certainly wouldn't call him a nonfan of the older games.

From another perspective, you could say that the people pulling their preorders are the most passionate fans of the other games, if it's suspected that the new game strays from what made the older games great.

Personally I'm still looking forward to the game, with reserved enthusiasm.. Will have to stop coming into this thread, because I don't want to know anything else about the game, but the controversy is hard to ignore.

Top Bottom