• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

doofy102

The Souls games are resource intensive games. They have been since Demon's Souls, they do a lot of things other games mask or don't even attempt.

There's a lot more going on than what's immediately on the screen.

EDIT: Compare the visuals of Dark Souls 1 and 2 to AAA budget RPG's like Fable 3, Dragon Age 2 or Dragon's Dogma. The only one that even compares in scope is Dragon's Dogma, and the IQ in that game is much worse than either DS1 or 2. As disappointing as the downgrade is, what FROM is pulling off on these machines is still remarkable.

*eats crow* will eat it gladly since I probably learned something

I wonder if using a new engine was something they regret doing.

This always seemed weird to me...they were using PhyreEngine before (for both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls), which is a Sony Europe-developed engine with a lot of PS3-specific optimization. Dark Souls launched in October 2011, and developing a new engine AND a game using that engine within 28 months seems a little crazy for From Software. Especially when they're basically starting from scratch and supporting 3 platforms (PC, PS3, 360) essentially simultaneously.

Persona7

Banned
This always seemed weird to me...they were using PhyreEngine before (for both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls), which is a Sony Europe-developed engine with a lot of PS3-specific optimization. Dark Souls launched in October 2011, and developing a new engine AND a game using that engine within 28 months seems a little crazy for From Software. Especially when they're basically starting from scratch and supporting 3 platforms (PC, PS3, 360) essentially simultaneously.
Yeah, it is pretty strange.

I would really like to see a technical postmortem on Dark Souls 2.

S0N0S

The difference is truly shocking and I'm unsure what to make of it all yet, but I'm reserving judgement.

Until then, we should consider the following: what if the PC version doesn't more closely resemble prerelease footage? Dark Souls:ptD for PC didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence, and this lighting downgrade doesn't either. I hope those that are holding out for the PC version check their expectations.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This is all quite baffling. Especially given how excited they were about the new engine and claiming it would raise the bar for the series.

Just started my playthrough and am a little shocked at the difference in quality even compared to Demon's. It really delivers a gut punch to the atmosphere. Something the other games were dripping with. Everything else is on a level worthy of the series but man, the lighting is just abysmal is most areas.

Without commenting on the changes, for the people that DEMAND ANSWERS what kind of comment would you like from FROM or Bamco?

I wrote this in the Steam topic just now, something along these lines:

PetriP-TNT said:
The PC version hits in a little over a month and nobody official has bothered to comment on the current release. It's not looking good.

I really can't see what there needs to be commented on the current release.

"Sorry, the game ran like shit so we had to reduce following effects:

- effect_i.pdx
- effect_x.pdx

The way that this was done /* any gibberish here can do because reading Digital Foundry articles makes people tech wizards */. Also before release the following texture sheets were modified:

/* list of texture.png's with Date Modifieds */

In addition, these models have a reduced quality by one LOD:

/* list of models */

But don't worry, here is the current stable build of the PC version, click here to download the source.

<link>

We are really sorry about false advertising our product, hopefully you aren't too mad at us but if you are, sorry.

Signed

/* every individual who has worked with Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 1 or any FROM software product in the past or future*/

?

This is all quite baffling. Especially given how excited they were about the new engine and claiming it would raise the bar for the series.

Just started my playthrough and am a little shocked at the difference in quality even compared to Demon's. It really delivers a gut punch to the atmosphere. Something the other games were dripping with. Everything else is on a level worthy of the series but man, the lighting is just abysmal is most areas.

They were probably making the engine on high-end workstations and just forgot they would have to optimize for PS3/360. Or perhaps said fuck it? Most developers seem to be pretty much exhausted by the PS3/360 since 2011.

Without commenting on the changes, for the people that DEMAND ANSWERS what kind of comment would you like from FROM or Bamco?

I'd like to know why apparently they didn't know the game ran like shit until several months before release, and why we kept seeing previews up until release that were not at all indicative of the retail game.

Soriku

Why they downgraded the game, when they did (before or after beta), why did they keep showing the superior build on PS3 literally just 1-2 months ago. And for PC people, if the game is getting "fixed" (also if a patch is possible for console versions).

Sanctuary

As you mentioned before, lighting has a giant effect on the way that the rest of the environment looks, color-wise. If the greens, oranges, blues, or what have you were meant to be in dark places, with the torch's warm yellow light flooding over the room, that's going to have an effect on the color of the original textures. If you gut that lighting and hastily up the ambient lighting everywhere, it won't look anywhere near the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hideous-looking areas were supposed to be pitch-black ones. I'd wager those are the areas where the color palette was designed for them to look well with the torch light over them, and they obviously didn't go back to retexture the areas if they didn't even bother removing vestigial torches in the actual levels.

If you want to see how the areas were initially intended to look, just bring a torch to pretty much any of the drab, dull gray spots and behold as it starts looking a lot better.

They really screwed up badly on this, but hey...you can just spend hours lighting all of the sconces so the game doesn't look so ugly in most areas.

Only an hour in but this game looks markedly better than DS1 so far.

Lol, what? It's a major step down in almost all areas. Hell, the area that tries to look like Anor Londo doesn't even look as good either. A lot of it has to do with the lighting, but not all of it. Some of the textures are just bad.

I don't know if you're also playing the game but those screens don't reflect the huge visual inconsistency of Dark Souls 2. You are always moving between awe-inspiring panoramas and shitty looking corridors / generic areas.

Exactly. The saddest part, is that the game is still at least fun and worth playing. It's just bullshit that the third game is the ugliest of the trilogy by far. It gives you this pretty decent looking area, only to jolt you back into reality a minute later with the next.

I really can't see what there needs to be commented on the current release.

Just because it seems unrealistic that a dev would comment on a game like this, wouldn't it be the best possible outcome? Tell us what you changed and why (preferably in advance of the release, not afterwards), how the PC version will look and perform so that everyone can make the best possible decision. Obviously not in as much detail as in your example.

It won't happen, but it should. I don't think staying silent and saying "oh well Bamco you tricked us, too bad, carry on" is the right thing to do here. Not getting an answer is one thing, not even asking/complaining sends the wrong message.

Korezo

What was the point of this new engine they made? The game doesn't look better and doesn't perform better so wtf did they decide to change it? Does this game look better than past souls games?

Durante

Seeing all the model and general scene differences I'm getting more convinced that the prerelease stuff was some unusually large vertical slice. Nothing else really makes all that much sense. The other options are
- there really was a last-minute game-wide downgrade for console performance reasons (the performance results of even the downgraded version do bear that out to some extent)
- there was a last-minute gameplay change to increase ambient lighting throughout the game and downplay the importance of light sources (why?)
- it was a simultaneously developed PC (or next-gen) version with remarkably different lighting and assets (but we have people who swear it ran on PS3)

T.O.P

Banned
Sorry guys, forgot one:

012oorgs.jpg

19691-resident-evil-w7lu2t.jpg

Perfect

:(

The difference is truly shocking and I'm unsure what to make of it all yet, but I'm reserving judgement.

Until then, we should consider the following: what if the PC version doesn't more closely resemble prerelease footage? Dark Souls:ptD for PC didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence, and this lighting downgrade doesn't either. I hope those that are holding out for the PC version check their expectations.

Then I don't buy it

Look, I'd hate to have to do that but this is a company that basically stole my money with the ds release, promised me change this go around and then fails to communicate about these very obvious bait and switch changes?

It's unacceptable

It won't happen, but it should. I don't think staying silent and saying "oh well Bamco you tricked us, too bad, carry on" is the right thing to do here. Not getting an answer is one thing, not even asking/complaining sends the wrong message.

Vote with your wallet? Return the game to Gamespot and buy TitanFall instead. Guerilla tried answering a question with actual technical details and what it got was a shitstorm filled with mostly faulty speculation about technology that people don't understand shit about*

*but they do think they do.

Sickbean

Surely all this is mitigated by the sort of 'all pre-release footage is work in progress and does not represent final product' type disclaimers that this stuff always comes with.

This isn't a new thing, move on.

DJwest

They've totally killed the look of this place.

The atmosphere is gone and everything is now grey. Something serious must of happened during development for them to scale back their vision so much.

This is very disappointing.
Should have been on next gen consoles. How is the PC version shaping up?

Alienous

Korezo

I blame 360/PS3 visual parity. In addition to From Software, of course.

It looks like the 360 version might've had some visual leeway.

Not really, ps3 is vsynced and 360 isn't. So the choice is nasty screen tear all day with 360 or frame rate dips with ps3. Both are terrible.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Found footage of the mansion of the dragons....

1bnwu16.png

2bp2uhl.png

Any inputs from tech experts would be good;
.ambient lighting on textures, is it baked or could the brightness controlled via a parameter?
.the bright reflection on the stair railing, uses specular maps and controlled by a parameter?

Also there is no cohesion of the type of material in those screens, between the stairs and the stair railings. Looks as if the stair railings assets are lifted from the older demonstration.

What hurts the game more than a visual degrade, would be fragmented or differential assets which make certain elements look different from the surroundings (ie..different materials).

I'd really like to see this part of the game too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z_JFDPCtXFY#t=461

Particularly when the enemy smashes through the wall - I doubt it will look anything like that.
In one of those screenshots from that area you could see that fat monster dangling in the middle of that corridor, inside a cage. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual prison was removed from this point, looking at how many other details were lost in the transition.

EDIT: this one, from this post.

People keep raising the bolded argument, but with the PC version of the original Dark Souls FROM never went out of their way as to say "PC will be the lead platform," "our new engine is built around PC and next-gen platforms," "we'll be adding all kinds of features that is expected from a current-day PC version" and various comments along those lines. Admittedly they don't have a stellar track record based on their previous titles, but Dark Souls only had a few months turn-around (akin to half a year tops IIRC) with Namco telling them to get it out the door as quickly as possible once the poll made it apparent that there was indeed demand for the game elsewhere, not just on consoles. Dark Souls II on the flipside took better hardware into consideration from the very beginning and they didn't just limit themselves to PS3 + Xbox 360... allegedly.

With the severity of the downgrade, the PC version looking closer to the TGS build shown here at minimum seems within the realm of possibility to me, with the wall in particular having near-identical textures to what's in the final build and the lighting effects being somewhat closer to what they first demonstrated. I'd much rather have it aim for the visual fidelity of the initial reveal though since those assets already exist and FROM is spending close to two months "polishing" the PC version, but who knows at this point. Maybe adding some of the missing details like those paintings in the Mansion of the Dragon wouldn't be too farfetched, since those are just small objects relative to sweeping changes to the level layout or geometry.

I'd find it very strange if the PC version would be nothing but a 1:1 port (albeit with extra bells & whistles) of what we're seeing on consoles right now, since it's sadly very obvious that key area's were supposed to evoke a different atmosphere and right now they... simply don't. By any stretch of the imagination. I can't imagine FROM being happy with that, especially with a franchise that helped them rise to mainstream fame and commercial success. If in reality they actually are content with the end result, then that'd be way too depressing for me.

Prototype

I feel like some of these shots are capturing motion blur or some effect of the cloth movement, or something, and it's making them look worse. I don't know. It doesn't look anything like these screen shots on my PS3 on my TV.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm seriously starting to consider canceling my preorder and waiting for the PC release. This is just ridiculous.

From reached to high and showed too early. That's the issue here. I really hope the backlash doesn't make them regret their decision of developing for PC amd porting down to consoles. You guys realize that was probably the issue here. They started on powerful hardware and had to trim to make it playable on ancient hardware.

Sanctuary

Dark Souls II - Definitive Edition - Coming holiday 2014 exclusively for PS4 and XBOX ONE.

Yep. Sadly that's what I thought within the first few hours of playing. The PC version won't even end up being the best version, even though it would have no problems running it. Give the last gen and PC gamers the shit version so that they have to buy a current gen console. FROM kept saying "no comment" or "they don't know" when asked if the game was going to be on the PS4/Xbone, yet later confirmed that the engine was developed with those systems in mind.

doofy102

From reached to high and showed too early. That's the issue here. I really hope the backlash doesn't make them regret their decision of developing for PC amd porting down to consoles. You guys realize that was probably the issue here. They started on powerful hardware and had to trim to make it playable on ancient hardware.

There is no way in hell From doesn't regret the current gen outcome. They should have realised their goals weren't realistic on the current gen earlier, and should have either a) built the game with less demanding details from the beginning, maybe looking a little better than Dark Souls but with its art direction completely intact, or B) gone straight for next-gen. Either would be preferable to what we have now.

Soriku

Yep. Sadly that's what I thought within the first few hours of playing. The PC version won't even end up being the best version, even though it would have no problems running it. Give the last gen and PC gamers the shit version so that they have to buy a current gen console. FROM kept saying "no comment" or "they don't know" when asked if the game was going to be on the PS4/Xbone, yet later confirmed that the engine was developed with those systems in mind.

Saying they had next gen in mind is probably referring to PC, and maybe they'll be reusing the engine for any next gen games they have, not necessarily a DkS2 port.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Surely all this is mitigated by the sort of 'all pre-release footage is work in progress and does not represent final product' type disclaimers that this stuff always comes with.

This isn't a new thing, move on.

I'd say those disclaimers are just another way of saying: "don't worry if it looks rough aound the edges, it's a work in progress"

Not "don't expect the game to look this good"

Sheesh what happened to the game? More importantly, why? The gimped version looks so flat and bland...such a bummer. And by nowI'm 100% sure the pc version will lack the old look, like others already said, by now it's a different game :<

why not? maybe it's a devious scheme at play

1) a beta is released with apparently great lighting
2) the game will not look that much better than PS360 when released on Xbox 1 and PS4
3) so, to make the difference bigger (and knowing full well that there are people who will double dip or maybe even triple dip, why not), they remove some features, that they are going to implement back into the next gen releases, and maybe chalk it up to 'performance issues'

just a theory...

doofy102

why not? maybe it's a devious scheme at play

1) a beta is released with apparently great lighting
2) the game will not look that much better than PS360 when released on Xbox 1 and PS4
3) so, to make the difference bigger (and knowing full well that there are people who will double dip or maybe even triple dip, why not), they remove some features, that they are going to implement back into the next gen releases, and maybe chalk it up to 'performance issues'

just a theory...

Cute but no, they were just stupid. It's true that they might be feeling a little more motivated to go PS4/Xbox One now though. Would PC users be able to handle like a 8 month delay if it meant it would be closer to reveal footage?

Sanctuary

The Definitive Edition is already coming April 25th, no need to wait so long

You do realize what happened with Tomb Raider right?

Saying they had next gen in mind is probably referring to PC, and maybe they'll be reusing the engine for any next gen games they have, not necessarily a DkS2 port.

Developers don't say next-gen if they are talking about the PC. They just say PC, since it's always next-gen.

There is no way in hell From doesn't regret the current gen outcome. They should have realised their goals weren't realistic on the current gen earlier, and should have either a) built the game with less demanding details from the beginning, maybe looking a little better than Dark Souls but with its art direction completely intact, or B) gone straight for next-gen. Either would be preferable to what we have now.
I need a hands on with the console version. People elsewhere online and in the OT really aren't complaining about the graphics at all. The downgrade from the early builds was huge when viewed side by side but if they still managed to make a good game (some say that looks better then DS1) then it won't be viewed as a failure. They should not have set their hopes so high. I really don't see them intentionally screwing anyone or holding off for a better version to get people to rebuy. The engine was made for the future and crammed onto current consoles. Sacrifices had to be made for performance.

Haunted

This one looks similar, but without the dramatic chiaroscuro-style lighting, a simplified skybox and less dragons flying around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndRpge6kHc8&t=5m13s

10oosh.png

28rpux.png
Found footage of the mansion of the dragons. There's no way anybody anywhere can't claim this game hasn't been completely gutted. Just look at this shit, LOOK AT THIS SHIT:

0auru02.png

0bq2ura.png

1a67u94.png

1bnwu16.png

2ad9u9b.png

2bp2uhl.png

3a1zun3.png

3b8bug1.png

4apku5b.png

4bbljpc.png

5aecuyc.png

5bosug5.png

6a0purt.png

6bd8uov.png

7ateukc.png

7bkkubu.png

8ai8u2g.png

8bddu5a.png
Amazing that an advanced lighting engine vs shitty flat lighting can create this much of a difference. That is pretty much a generational jump (back) I dare say, makes the final version look like a bug/WIP without the correctlighting implemented.

Man, if the PC version also looks like shit like the console retail... there will be riots. I'm confident my rig could easily handle the quality shown in the reveals. Here's hoping the good lighting is still in there and they only branched the console builds to hit playable framerates.

doofy102

I need a hands on with the console version. People elsewhere online and in the OT really aren't complaining about the graphics at all. The downgrade from the early builds was huge when viewed side by side but if they still managed to make a good game (some say that looks better then DS1) then it won't be viewed as a failure. They should not have set their hopes so high. I really don't see them intentionally screwing anyone or holding off for a better version to get people to rebuy. The engine was made for the future and crammed onto current consoles. Sacrifices had to be made for performance.

I'm sure they're happy with the game itself for upholding the souls name, but I doubt the sacrifices were easy to make. It is kind of odd they seemingly happened right towards the end.

I'm sure they're happy with the game itself for upholding the souls name, but I doubt the sacrifices were easy to make. It is kind of odd they seemingly happened right towards the end.
It's obvious the game would have ran like absolute shit if the lighting was left in. I guess they took the graphic backlash over the gameplay one which was probably a wise decision.

doofy102

Amazing that an advanced lighting engine vs shitty flat lighting can create this much of a difference. That is pretty much a generational jump (back) I dare say, makes the final version look like a bug/WIP without the correctlighting implemented.

Man, if the PC version also looks like shit like the console retail... there will be riots. I'm confident my rig could easily handle the quality shown in the reveals. Here's hoping the good lighting is still in there and they only branched the console builds to hit playable framerates.

My theory: PC version will end up being more or less the console versions albeit with the black/torch mechanic lighting system back in, if we're lucky.

PS4/Xbox One version will come out one year later with ALL of the cut assets and textures back, and generally improved assets on top of that + DLC. After much discussion/reflection, From returns to the game with a vengeance. This direction makes sense as it lets the team get a good intro to PS4 hardware as the directors and artists meanwhile do preproduction for Dark Souls 3.

Sickbean

So is the lighting system the same as it was in the beta or has it been downgraded since then?

I thought the torch system worked really well in the cave section - it was pitch black without a torch.

Top Bottom