• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

Damn, that looks terrible and rushed.

I hope they are working on a PS4 version because that massive downgrade has a huge impact on my motivation to buy this game.

Looking at that side by side comparison video makes me cringe. I know it's still a good game, but I'm definitely not playing on current gen consoles. Also, lol@PS3 framerate.

My theory: PC version will end up being more or less the console versions albeit with the black/torch mechanic lighting system back in, if we're lucky.

PS4/Xbox One version will come out one year later with ALL of the cut assets and textures back, and generally improved assets on top of that + DLC. After much discussion/reflection, From returns to the game with a vengeance.

Well the PC version asks for 14 gigs of available space which is like 3 times bigger than the console digital install size. there's gotta be something in those extra 9 gigs right?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I don't own a gaming PC nor a last-gen console any longer, in fact I'm seriously hoping for a current-gen release for this but that video made comparing the reveal gameplay with release gameplay?

Shit seriously reminded me of owning a Tandy 1000Hx back in the day and looking at the back of all those late 80s PC game boxes and seeing the same game I was playing looking generations ahead on literally every other platform.

I thought this thread would be general "People exaggerating/ Gamers making a mountain out of a molehill" type thing but...daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, Gina.

Alienous

This has to be one of the worst cases of this.

Holy fuck.

I can't believe the guys who made Dark Souls, with has such a cult following, would betray their fanbase like this. It's fucking disgusting.

Wonderfalls

Neo Member

Kamina

Golden Boy
I doubt the PC Version will look much different than ps360 to be honest. I expect better textures, better shadows, and of course more detail. Not more.

What baffles me even more that the Lighting changes is the whole physical difference. Some many areas have a complete different look, pillars, doors, walls, floor,...why? Did they delete some areas accidentally and try to recreate them later?

UnrealEck

My theory: PC version will end up being more or less the console versions albeit with the black/torch mechanic lighting system back in, if we're lucky.

PS4/Xbox One version will come out one year later with ALL of the cut assets and textures back, and generally improved assets on top of that + DLC. After much discussion/reflection, From returns to the game with a vengeance. This direction makes sense as it lets the team get a good intro to PS4 hardware as the directors and artists meanwhile do preproduction for Dark Souls 3.

Doesn't make sense to me. From a business or technical standpoint. They would be very stupid to do that. Very very stupid.

Rezbit

Seems pretty weird that the downgrade is so significant for consoles. Did they really go to the trouble of making a better looking build only to downgrade? Or were the showings at TGS etc really on PC as opposed to consoles, and they just lied about it? Either way the game itself seems great and like more Dark Souls, but I do hope the PC version keeps that gorgeous lighting we've previously seen.

Bedlam

ITT : I want PC quality on my PS3/360
Bullshit. Even console games look WAY better than what From offers here. Just look at Dragon's Dogma + Expansion, for example. The caves and dungeons in that game actually look like the DS2 demo footage with some really great texture work and lighting effects.

Expecting a level of quality on consoles as shown in the DS2 demo footage (except 60fps obviously) is not far fetched at all.

laHYEmb.gif

pa22word

More like "ITT: People are pissed off over being purposefully misled as to the state of the game"

You just don't make a decision like this day before release and flip a switch. They've known for several months now that the game was in a drastically different state vs what was originally shown, and they decided to say and show nothing, letting the people who bought the game find out for themselves after paying for it.

And that's fucking bullshit.

Bullshit. Even console games look WAY better than what From offers here. Just look at Dragon's Dogma + Expansion, for example. The caves and dungeons in that game actually look like the DS2 demo footage with some really great texture work and lighting effects.

Expecting a level of quality on consoles as shown in the DS2 demo footage (except 60fps obviously) is not far fetched at all.
You've gotta be kidding me.

Dragon's Dogma runs letterboxed, about 22 frames per second at all times and is ugly as sin aside from the lighting. Dragon's Dogma is an awesome game but a technical benchmark it is not. Even when compared to this Quake 1 esque idea of Dark Souls 2 you've all constructed.

doofy102

Dragon's Dogma runs letterboxed, about 22 frames per second at all times and is ugly as sin aside from the lighting. Dragon's Dogma is an awesome game but a technical benchmark it is not. Even when compared to this Quake 1 esque idea of Dark Souls 2 you've all constructed.

Dark Souls 2 also runs at around 22 frames per second... just sayin. They did their best to make us expect better, From has nobody to blame but themselves.

Hey man, Quake 1 was a technical marvel at the time! Don't be bad mouthing Quake 1.

Bedlam

I never said it's a technical benchmark (especially the overworld is not with all the pop-ins etc) but many of the caves and dungeons in that game look gorgeous. Yeah, and despite not being a technical benchmark, it looks leaps and bounds better than DS2 in those places.

Dragon's Dogma's lighting system is incredible and really shows how important lighting is the the look/ambiance of a game. It's probably one of the blurriest games on the system and runs at 20 FPS more than half the time but when you shoot a magical torch arrow into a tree and how the environment light up as spells are cast in every direction the game looks unbelievable. The lack of a pc version is almost criminal, would be one of the most impressive games out there :/

Maybe part of the problem is with seeing so many current gen screenshots we assumed the last gen consoles were more than powerful enough, when they simply weren't.

I do think these issues are not going to make the game worse, maybe a little different than it might have been.

No one's saying Dragon's Dogma was some technical benchmark, but in comparison to Dark Souls 2 yeah it was wildly ahead at doing what Dark Souls should be doing. Sure it wasn't the best performance-wise but neither is DKS2 after all the sacrifices to the engine.

Violater

Here's another shot of the fire from the video I did, if anyone wants it.

Compare that to this:

You gotta be fucking kidding me.
So glad I passed on the PS3 version, I'll wait and see what the PC version looks like and if still no magic there I will wait for the current gen version.

Compare that to this:

You cannot be serious. Just wow. And it's not just the lighting system, guys. Where are all the other assets from those older builds? The more complex geometry, the additional environmental details, the better textures, the specular shaders, the particle system etc. ad infinitum. Will those things also make it into the PC port? Did they really branch off the last-gen console builds that heavily?

And of course none of the usual media outlets reported anything about this and it all once again came down to fans trying to dig out the truth.

Thanks for the video, by the way!

jett

D-Member
Hey, I actually made a video comparing the original demo to the final game. Sort of shot for shot.

Dark Souls 2 - April 2013 Vs Retail Lighting and Graphics Comparison

I can't believe that was running on the same hardware. Everything got downgraded, not just the lighting but the particles as well. It's really quite a difference. It would be a shame if the original artistic vision is actually gone, even from the PC version, because that looks pretty good.

Alienous

Compare that to this:

What's their official line on this?

This is fucking abhorrent. I can't think of a case as bad as this.

I was going to pick this up, but fuck From Software. This is a whole new level of bullshittery.

There is absolutely no way in hell this change was done several months back, that would've been ample time to properly tweak the visuals of various areas to make them look better with the new lighting settings. No, I think this had to be a last-minute thing.

Are there better-looking games with more open worlds? Perhaps, but not every studio has graphics wizards. Jesus Christ, Unlimited Detail for gaming can't fucking come fast enough, the sooner we don't have to worry about shit like this happening ever again, the better.

Compare that to this:

Came into this thread last night expecting to see a large amount of hyperbole but shots like this and numerous others have really proved me wrong - this is an absolutely huge downgrade from pre-release footage.

It completely changes the atmosphere in some of the shots - from well detailed and brooding hall to generic room #3

I can't believe that was running on the same hardware. Everything got downgraded, not just the lighting but the particles as well. It's really quite a difference. It would be a shame if the original artistic vision is actually gone, even from the PC version, because that looks pretty good.

I remember seeing the original demo and being blown away. Like "This is the next level of Souls. This is where I want to see this series go." And then we get this? Talk about a let down.

Valnen

ENB still hasn't commented on the lighting situation despite his earlier comments, and he's been active on twitter just a few hours ago.

Violater

Radio silence.

Its really scummy, I also don't know what people who pre-ordered and got the game expecting one thing that got this must feel.
I know most are really fans of the series and don't care about the graphics but this is undeniably poor form on the part of the Publisher and more surprising the Developer.

Gbraga

They don't even have to acknowledge this, just try to spin it as PR, just say HERE'S SOME PC FOOTAGE! and it'll let us know everything we need to know.

GRIP

ENB still hasn't commented on the lighting situation despite his earlier comments, and he's been active on twitter just a few hours ago.

Why the hell do you care so much about getting a comment from ENB? He has nothing to do with this and isn't in a position to change anything.

Edit: Just saw the post with his response and that's about what I expected. A lot of people aren't as up in arms over this as many in this thread are.

If they don't address this soon I'll cancel my DS2 PC purchase. Just out of principle. This is the last straw after their shitty PC port of DS1, which never got patched.

Found footage of the mansion of the dragons. There's no way anybody anywhere can't claim this game hasn't been completely gutted. Just look at this shit, LOOK AT THIS SHIT:

0auru02.png

0bq2ura.png

1a67u94.png

1bnwu16.png

2ad9u9b.png

2bp2uhl.png

3a1zun3.png

3b8bug1.png

4apku5b.png

4bbljpc.png

5aecuyc.png

5bosug5.png

6a0purt.png

6bd8uov.png

7ateukc.png

7bkkubu.png

8ai8u2g.png

8bddu5a.png

LOOK AT THE PLAYER'S SHADOW

4bbljpc.png

picard-wtf-bigi3k9x.jpg

Disgusting, can you link me to the video so I can make some gift, please time stamp it, im trying to spoil as little as possible

I don't know what you people imagine pestering Vaati and ENB will achieve.
They don't work for Bamco or FROM.
It's exactly because they don't work for them.

People want honest opinions and they keep tiptoeing around the issue.

Why the hell do you care so much about getting a comment from ENB? He has nothing to do with this and isn't in a position to change anything.
I believe it's because he was claiming something about the lighting or torch mechanics.

Top Bottom