• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced for PS4/XBO/PC - April 2015

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If the visual enhancements are free for PC users and the extra contentis priced as a dlc add on($15) I am okay with this.
It seems it's the exact opposite actually. Gameplay additions are confirmed to be free, plenty of ambiguity regarding the visual upgrades however.

borborygmus

this aint demon souls or dark souls 1

Indeed. :(

Poor encounter design (here's 9 enemies at the same time with unlimited stamina), poor combat (completely broken hitboxes and enemy tracking), poor world design (upwards elevator ride from the top of a windmill, into an underground lava pit...). This game got so much wrong it's infuriating.

The OST is also paltry and the characters are a disaster.

Duxxy3

Perfect fit for me.

Skipped the last gen version. No interest in the PC version. Jonesing for a souls game and here it is.

Nice! Wasn't expecting this, but I certainly don't mind. Dark Souls 2 is my favorite of the series for sure even with blemishes. DLC was incredible.

Via Bamco
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will be launching in the Americas on April 7, 2015 on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and PC/Steam (DirectX 9/DirectX11)!

All versions of the game will include the following features (Existing Dark Souls II owners will receive a patch to implement these elements):

All 3 DLC packs included in the game (Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, Crown of the Ivory King).
Additional NPCs added for an enhanced story experience.
Parameter adjustments for improved game balance.
Augmented item descriptions.
Improved online matchmaking functionality.
Xbox One, PS4, and DirectX 11 versions of the game will include the following features (in addition to those listed above):

Additional upgrades to graphics, sound, performance.
Increase in maximum online players in single session (6 total).

Holy shit at 6 players! Bring on the fightclubs.

A dragon at Heide o_0

0L2qGm6.png

iuvITssNlBwCU.gif

vpance

Only way I would've played this is if it came out before Bloodborne. After though? I fear the shock would be too huge.

duckroll

According to the Japanese press release, the release format in Japan is slightly different.

The PS3/360/PC(DX9) version of Scholar of the First Sin will be released on Feb 5 2015, while he PS4/XBO/PC(DX11) version will be released on Apr 9 2015. The pricing is different too, with the DX9 PC version going for 4,200yen, while the DX11 PC version will be 5,200yen.

That pretty much confirms that anyone who owns DS2 on Steam now is stuck with the DX9 version, and you'll probably have to buy the DX11 version separately. Unless they offer a discounted upgrade.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Daaaaamn!!!

Dark Souls 2 was so uncanny good and just fun, I'm pleasantly surprised and intimidated by this announcement haha!

For anyone who waited out you're in for a treat.
As good as Bloodborne looks and will likely be, they nailed the fun factor in DS2. Takes awhile to figure out what's going on but when you "crack" what they are trying to do with the story and lore it's a great ah ha moment, made me really feel this game as one of my favs

zma1013

Yeah release date is odd but at the same time, Xbone isn't getting Bloodborne so in that regard, there is no overlap. Only on PS4 will we get a double-dose of Souls.

AmyS

I watched the trailer, graphics look really disappointing.

If this isn't native 1080p with improved graphics / geometry detail / textures / shaders / particle effects / dynamic shadows & lighting, and at least locked 30 FPS, no sale.

This would have killed had they brought it out this year, sometime in the late summer. Now I wonder how it will sell (the PS4 version at least) a month after Bloodborne. I might get it but I'd likely wait for a price drop.

Hmm... depending on the amount of additional content, this could make the xbone a viable alternative to a ps4 for me. Then again, Dark Souls 2 had been the only console game I have bought and played this year (still only halfway through ng+ and haven't bought any DLC yet) so it might be nice to try something new other than a souls/bloodborne game next year. When is Deep Down coming out again?

Dsyndrome

If they allowed me to import my character save from PS3 to the PS4, I'd preorder the game now. As it stands, I'm in the DLC and have over 100 hours already having beaten the base game. Will most likely wait for a while.

I never understood the issue with the PC version of weapon/armor duribilty bug. If it was due to the frame rate being nearly doubled, why couldn't they scale the variables for item degration to the current framerate?

KiraXD

Im so glad i got a new generation console so i can pay for remasters of games ive already bought!!

Sarcasm aside.

I actually DIDNT get DS2... and as much as these remasters are looking GREAT... im kinda sick of not having more original content for my new 400$ machine.

So as long as these are being developed in parallel to anything they COULD/SHOULD be working on... thats great. Just dont put off OTHER NEW GEN EXCLUSIVES for this.

(actually is it more likely that the ports are more - PC version to PS4XBO or developed up from PS360 versions?)

According to the Japanese press release, the release format in Japan is slightly different.

The PS3/360/PC(DX9) version of Scholar of the First Sin will be released on Feb 5 2015, while he PS4/XBO/PC(DX11) version will be released on Apr 9 2015. The pricing is different too, with the DX9 PC version going for 4,200yen, while the DX11 PC version will be 5,200yen.

That pretty much confirms that anyone who owns DS2 on Steam now is stuck with the DX9 version, and you'll probably have to buy the DX11 version separately. Unless they offer a discounted upgrade.

This would be fucking ridiculous and just further splinter the community if they can't play with each other(because they only mention directx 11 having up to 6 players)

So they are going to give us an expansion for our current game and try to sell us a "Next Gen" version along side it?

MattyG

Banned
The PC version isn't unlocked but native at 60 fps.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

no.

PC version isn't capped at 30 and runs just fine at 60.
OOPS, sorry, my mistake! I haven't played it on PC yet, since there hasn't been any great deals for it yet, I just thought I remembered hearing about something like that. Something about the game running at 60 but animations being wonky due to it. Maybe it was DS1? Or maybe I'm just misremembering entirely?

I guess that gives me an excuse to pick up Dark Souls 2 eventually, though I'll probably wait a while since I'll be busy with Bloodborne at the time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

That pretty much confirms that anyone who owns DS2 on Steam now is stuck with the DX9 version, and you'll probably have to buy the DX11 version separately.
Unless they offer a discounted upgrade.

Expected but still a bummer. Dammit Scamco!

Top Bottom