• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced for PS4/XBO/PC - April 2015

Interesting. I hope I'm wrong, but it kind of sounds like they'll be dumbing the game down even more. "Parameter adjustments for improved game balance" and 6 people allowed in a single game.

On the other hand, "Improved online matchmaking functionality." = Ditching Soul Memory!?

Hopefully they'll fix the hitboxes / enemy tracking while they're at it.

According to the Japanese press release, the release format in Japan is slightly different.

The PS3/360/PC(DX9) version of Scholar of the First Sin will be released on Feb 5 2015, while he PS4/XBO/PC(DX11) version will be released on Apr 9 2015. The pricing is different too, with the DX9 PC version going for 4,200yen, while the DX11 PC version will be 5,200yen.

That pretty much confirms that anyone who owns DS2 on Steam now is stuck with the DX9 version, and you'll probably have to buy the DX11 version separately. Unless they offer a discounted upgrade.

My patience pays off, sweet. Winter seal in a few years with all the goodies here we come.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
According to the Japanese press release, the release format in Japan is slightly different.

The PS3/360/PC(DX9) version of Scholar of the First Sin will be released on Feb 5 2015, while he PS4/XBO/PC(DX11) version will be released on Apr 9 2015. The pricing is different too, with the DX9 PC version going for 4,200yen, while the DX11 PC version will be 5,200yen.

That pretty much confirms that anyone who owns DS2 on Steam now is stuck with the DX9 version, and you'll probably have to buy the DX11 version separately. Unless they offer a discounted upgrade.

If so me not buying it during that one sale was a good idea!

Yisssss.

I skipped this game along with GTAV on last gen because I had a feeling they'd both be coming to the next gen. I was right on both counts and will be playing both games for the first time on PS4. Feels good.

Mumford

I wonder if this kills off the possibility of a Dark Souls remaster. Also, I miss when games were remastered in collections of 2-4 games and were sold for $40, as this will most likely be a $60 game at launch. Oh well.

Amir0x

Banned
man see all the people telling me to just buy the game despite my misgivings were just wrong. impatience.

waiting for a better product wins out in the end :D

Vena

PC version isn't capped at 30 and runs just fine at 60.

It runs fine, it just doesn't run correctly. Enemy behavior is over-aggressive vs. the 30 FPS, and the weapons are screwed up and can break from that stupid corpse-glitch or the in the middle of combat from the same glitch from the framerate.

They'd have to fix the Alonne Captains' teleportation at 60FPS too.

I'll be super happy if they fix any of the problems... but I don't think they will.

Wait if you have original DS2 on PS3 and you never bought any of the DLC now you're getting it all for free?? That can't be right buy yaaaaay if true!

On one hand, I'm pretty happy about the ps4 release. However, the release date is two weeks after Bloodborne comes out. By then, I'm probably going to invest my time on Bloodborne than Dark Souls II. Ugh, WTF is Namco Bandai thinking putting that April 7 release date.

UGH this is what was hyped?? I'll pass...besides all that stuff will be coming to the old versions as well.

Bloodborne will have my time not DS2 again. :/

From the looks of things, the original lighting has not been restored. That kind of takes away a lot of my interest.

I haven't picked up the DLC yet, so I'll probably hold off until this edition gets really cheap and pick up for PC or PS4.

I LOVED Dark Souls but skipped Dark Souls 2. Is DS2 a worthy sequel?

DLC is as good as DS1, the main game is below that. It has it's moments, but you can feel that they dropped the quality in favor of the quantity.

It is by no means a bad game though, and totally worth playing through.

The Boat

I would prefer DaS 1, but cool nonetheless. I doubt I'll have a capable PC or one of those consoles by then anyway.
EDIT: Oh it's for PS3 and 360 too, good!

Jimrpg

Is there any point to buying games day 1 anymore, especially with backlogs that people have? I'll wait for a steam sale for this...

I LOVED Dark Souls but skipped Dark Souls 2. Is DS2 a worthy sequel?

It generally doesn't reach the highs of DS1, but never reaches the lows either. It's a much more consistent experience that's probably a bit less exciting overall, but still a must-play if you like the series imo. I prefer it to DS1 because the back half of the game doesn't make me want to quit. My DS1 playthroughs usually end after Anor Londo.

XanaviF30

Was planning on picking DSII at BB during Black Friday. This announcement hasn't stopped me. From what I've heard, this is a great game to have in my PS3 collection.

Hmm...if you have to pay full price to get the upgraded DX11 PC version, I won't be going for that, no way will I triple dip just for those enhancements.

Can't wait to hear more about the actual DLC, good thing after beating the previous 3 DLC's I still refused to start NG+ hahaha. Timing is really odd though, probably wont be playing this DLC day 1 like the others, I'll definitely still be consumed by Bloodborne.

Season pass was well worth it for me, but forcing players to pay for a patch is ridiculous.
I bought the game day one on PC so I kind of waited on the DLC to come out and a season pass sale.

But now I might not even grab the DLC if I have to get a goddamn DX11 patch pass.

Top Bottom