• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced for PS4/XBO/PC - April 2015

1wn2c38jme.gif

Gameboy415

I'm psyched for the PS4 version!

I played through Demon's & DS1 this year and was planning to grab DSII on Black Friday (for $15 at Best Buy) but now I'll just wait for this version. :)

If they let me upgrade to the new version for $20 and under than I'll considerate it. If not and they are not cross compatible for online play them screw them they have effectively killed off the PC version.

Parsnip

Alright, that settles that.

Still, it doesn't mean it will split the PC playerbase. They could easily just place a cap on how many people you can summon depending on which version you're playing. I think it's a little rash to assume that they're going to split the playerbase between the two PC versions. Not saying that it's not possible, but it's a pretty big assumption at this point.

Internet is built for jumping to conclusions.

I also think that they will find a way to not split the playerbase.

A separate new pc version? :/

Well, I would like to play this with new DX11 bells and whistles, but paying twice for a game in 2 years is very lame.

Maybe 2017 steam sale when it's 5 dollars and I might be itching for a replay anyway.

Surely there will be an upgrade option or loyalty discount.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
holy fucking hxsit i sjut woke up to this

FUCK YES!½!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figured it was coming. But that's, what, 3 weeks after bloodborne? I'll still probably check it out at some point since I haven't played it yet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Still, it doesn't mean it will split the PC playerbase. They could easily just place a cap on how many people you can summon depending on which version you're playing. I think it's a little rash to assume that they're going to split the playerbase between the two PC versions. Not saying that it's not possible, but it's a pretty big assumption at this point.

If a DX9 player could be summoned into a 6 player party without issue, yet could only summon 3 phantoms on his/her own. You don't think this would make people upset and make them question the decision more than we currently are?

That quote makes it seems mostly cosmetic, unless I'm not understanding I correctly. Not that I'm complaining, because Bloodborne looks really good. I'll be picking it up day one.

Well there's this as well

At times, you have to be on the offensive. But this is not a hack-and-slash game. Rest assured, Bloodborne is still an action RPG at its core, and combat is still very much about strategy and tactics.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/08/13/bloodborne-on-ps4-new-combat-details/

Zocano

PUT IT INSIDE ME.

Will buy PS4 version happily to replay it all.

Yes, even fighting Ancient Dragon again.

If a DX9 player could be summoned into a 6 player party without issue, yet could only summon 3 phantoms on his/her own. You don't think this would make people upset and make them question the decision more than we currently are?

Again, they could program it to not allow a DX9 player to be summoned if you already have 2 phantoms with you. That seems alot easier than having two separate player pools, but what do I know?

I mean I guess they're kind of splitting the console communities to a degree too. If they're smart they won't split the pool, but who knows. It's 100% conjecture at this point.

MUnited83

For you.

If they don't split the userbase then the cap doesn't make any sense. Because someone with the DX9 version would be able to be summoned for a 6-player party.

Mooreberg

I knew it was only a matter of time. Looks like I should try to actually finish Dark Souls over the next few months. This and Bloodborne in close proximity is great for fans.

duckroll

Again, they could program it to not allow a DX9 player to be summoned if you already have 2 phantoms with you. That seems alot easier than having two separate player pools, but what do I know?

Nah. They're two different games effectively, and Steam will treat them that way. Separate achievements, separate executables, separate folders, separate matchmaking. What you are describing is actually far more complex and would require much more effort. It's not a realistic expectation.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
About as much as I do I reckon :p. I really hope they do have a solid solution, I'd imagine From wants the user base together as it is. The decision to squeeze money out is most definitely Scamco's

This is great. I still haven't beaten DkS1(waiting for the patch to remove GFWL) and I haven't even touched DkS2. They better give me that 60fps.

Horp

The trailer doesn't look nearly as good as I thought a next gen versoin would. Still flat lighting and missing character shadows. Looks like the existing PC version.

Shinjica

Nah. They're two different games effectively, and Steam will treat them that way. Separate achievements, separate executables, separate folders, separate matchmaking. What you are describing is actually far more complex and would require much more effort. It's not a realistic expectation.

Good for them, i'll not buy again the game enhanced after I got burned with it.

When this is confirmed not only will I not want to buy the new game but I will probably uninstall DS2 completely since all I ever do now is PvP and Co Op.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yep. this the the most important bit. I don't care about paying a little more for graphics but for the love of Vendrick don't split the community.

the split is coming, guaranteed

this is ridiculous

release the game on a platform where it could look better, but doesn't

then re-release it a year later on the same platform, where it does look better, but you have to buy it again

I'm officially on the "fuck remasters" train.

ElTopo

Banned
Wait, so this is a separate version on PC? I thought it was DLC?

Can anyone get confirmation? I mean, I remember (just an example off the top of my head) that when AVP 2010 came out there were 2 versions on Steam to download, the DX9 version and the DX11 version.

Will buy an upgrade for the PC version if/when it's available for $5.

Actually not so sure about that either, I don't think I'm going to be replaying DS2 the same way I did the first one.

Parsnip

If this is true (are you sure?), they are probably hoping/expecting hardcore fans to upgrade without question.

Also am curious whether they'll restore the pre-launch lighting for this version? Either way, I haven't finished Dark Souls 2 (I know, I'm a heathen) or any of the DLCs because I just don't like playing on PS3 anymore :(. So all in all, this is absolutely perfect for me. Bring it the fuck on, I wouldn't care if this dropped on the same day as the GOTG aka Bloodborne. Okay, I better chill. Hype levels rising.

StuBurns

Banned
Making PC gamers pay a significant price for a DX11 build would be one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard a publisher do.

If you have the game, plus the season pass, that's it, you should own this. At the very most, a couple of dollars for the extra bits.

Htown

Wait a minute, PC users have to buy the upgrade if they already own the game? Makes me even more glad I waited for this "GOTY" edition to come out.

PC users apparently get the new NPCs, the balance patch, and some updated item descriptions for free

all the new graphics and performance upgrades, and the new online stuff, you have to pay for

Mechazawa

As much as I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 on PC, making it a separate executable only a year after release puts me squarely in the "eat shit, Namco" train. And since this'll split the community, this probably means I won't be bothering with the Season Pass any time soon, either.

Bring on Bloodborne.

Biker19

Banned
No Dark Souls 1, no purchase.

That's the more superior DS game of the two. And with Bloodborne that's coming out, that makes it an even additional reason not to purchase this one.

Red Comet

I'm not really a fan of how existing PC users are getting shafted with this release. Unless of course there is a relatively cheap upgrade option. I'm not quite sure that I'm a big enough Dark Souls fan to double dip otherwise.

Htown

Making PC gamers pay a significant price for a DX11 build would be one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard a publisher do.

If you have the game, plus the season pass, that's it, you should own this. At the very most, a couple of dollars for the extra bits.

the return of Scamco?

Top Bottom