• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 and MGS5 sales top 1 million copies on Steam (SteamSpy)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For Dark Souls 3, it looks like the vast majority of that was done at full price as well, with the sales numbers stabilizing at about 950,000 copies before the Steam sale started: http://steamspy.com/app/374320

Dark Souls 1 has an LTD of 2.6 million copies while Dark Souls 2 + Scholars has an LTD of 1.8 million copies, though those have both been very cheap. Dark Souls 3 seems on track to have the largest LTD.

darksouls3c3uol.png

As GhostTrick points out, Metal Gear Solid V has now also passed 1 million copies: http://steamspy.com/app/287700

metalgearpcwvugx.png

MegaMelon

Well deserved, can't wait for the dlc.

That said, it's amusing that it's tagged for nudity. Is this because of that butt glitch?

gdt

A classic. They deserve it all. What a story....a few years ago people kept talking about how there was no audience on PC for these games.

Awesome. I got Dark Souls for $5 a few days ago I'm having a blast with it. Definitely gonna pick up 2 and 3 before the sale ends.

Shocking news: Day and date released game on Steam sells well. Maybe some publishers will learn, right Square Enix ? *wink wink*

MGSV also topped 1 million if you want to know Nirolak.

Ferr986

What a turnaround with Dark Souls franchise and PC userbase. FROM wasn't interested but after some big petitions they half assed a port without much hopes. Now it's a million seller on that platform.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Between dark souls and dragons dogma being successes hopefully this is a wakeup call for Japanese rpg devs to not ignore the pc audience

Lingitiz

How many even do at this point? Atlus and Level-5?

SE's Japan side treats PC as an afterthought still, despite some games coming over. Their strategy overall when it comes to porting old games is all over the place. PC gets FF8, 9, PS4 gets 12, but they stay exclusive for years for no good reason.

Everything about Atlus is just insane to me, not just ignoring the PC but the way they market their games even on consoles and handhelds. A lot of their niche titles would be right at home on PC.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A same day PC release for FFXV would be great.

I kind of understand why that doesn't exist though given the 10 year development trainwreck and their statements that they want to do an enhanced PC version.

In general I consider a company who does late ports a bit different than a company who is ignoring a platform.

What a turnaround with Dark Souls franchise and PC userbase. FROM wasn't interested but after some big petitions they half assed a port without much hopes. Now it's a million seller on that platform.
They were honest in interviews about not having experience with PC ports and that they'd do their best. Their best was still better than a lot of ports because it actually ran fine with no bugs, albeit locked at 720p and 30 FPS and with wonky keyboard controls. Then Durante came along and you know the rest.

They improved vastly with II.

The only smart big Japanese publishers on the world right now.

Day and date (or at least very close) PC release is a no brainer nowadays. No excuse.

That may be pedantic of me, but they aren't really ignoring it, they just still seem to see it as a second tier platform.

Which is a mistake, as seen in this case. FFXV not getting a day and date release is mind blowing in term of incompetence considering how much time and money they're throwing on side products when they could make a competent PC port that'd sell a lot.

I kind of understand why that doesn't exist though given the 10 year development trainwreck and their statements that they want to do an enhanced PC version.

In general I consider a company who does late ports a bit different than a company who is ignoring a platform.

I don't. As for the enchanced PC version, it'll basically be the game running the way it was intended to run. Either As for late ports, I can understand the strategy for smaller release. It's sometimes more efficient for stuff like IFI releases, because they can't sell these at full price on PC. But for AAA titles ? It doesn't makes any sense.

Ferr986

They were honest in interviews about not having experience with PC ports and that they'd do their best. Their best was still better than a lot of ports because it actually ran fine with no bugs, albeit locked at 720p and 30 FPS and with wonky keyboard controls. Then Durante came along and you know the rest.

They improved vastly with II.

Yeah you're right, I was probably a little harsh calling it half assed.

If we look at the LTD for the others, they're also very large.

Dark Souls 1: 2.6 million copies: http://steamspy.com/app/211420

Dark Souls 2 + Scholars: 1.8 million copies: http://steamspy.com/app/236430 and http://steamspy.com/app/335300

Surprised Souls 2 sold less tbh. Didn't it sold more on consoles?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Surprised Souls 2 sold less tbh. Didn't it sold more on consoles?

No, it was significantly down on both platforms. The console generation transition was not kind to last-gen only games and then we were at Bloodborne by the time the next-gen port came out.

Nice about DS3, but it sounds really poor to me that a game of MGSV's scope only now passed 1 million on PC? After so long?

Any comments on this?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nice about DS3, but it sounds really poor to me that a game of MGSV's scope only now passed 1 million on PC? After so long?

Any comments on this?

The game only shipped 6 million units in general and we're not sure how many are sold through, so that doesn't seem too odd.

The PC hasn't historically been as big a platform for AAA games as consoles. Margins and a lack of shelf space risk make it quite attractive though, which is why you see people continuing to make PC ports even with lower sales numbers.

I don't. As for the enchanced PC version, it'll basically be the game running the way it was intended to run. Either As for late ports, I can understand the strategy for smaller release. It's sometimes more efficient for stuff like IFI releases, because they can't sell these at full price on PC. But for AAA titles ? It doesn't makes any sense.

I don't think this a normal AAA game though. Final Fantasy XV has been wonky as hell in all the public demos and they're definitely not going to delay it any further than September 30th, especially given they're already walking into a crucible sales wise and it only gets worse later in the season.

Any comments on this?

Poor isn't the word I'd use tbh. Keep in mind it's the copies activated, so really owned. Konami shipped 6M copies in total iirc, so that'd put it at 17% of total sales.

The game only shipped 6 million units in general and we're not sure how many are sold through, so that doesn't seem too odd.

The PC hasn't historically been as big a platform for AAA games as consoles. Margins and a lack of shelf space risk make it quite attractive though, which is why you see people continuing to make PC ports even with lower sales numbers.

I don't think this a normal AAA game though. Final Fantasy XV has been wonky as hell in all the public demos and they're definitely not going to delay it any further than September 30th, especially given they're already walking into a crucible sales wise.

In term of developpement, sure it's be a trainwreck. But then again, considering the nature of the multiplatform engine, it could get a day and date PC release. The problem here isn't a lack of mean, it's a lack of will. It's a financial decision to delay the PC release, which wont end well, considering the game will release outside of the marketing launch hype. And considering the game might not review that well, it basically has bomba written all over it.

120v

it sounds really poor to me that a game of MGSV's scope only now passed 1 million on PC? After so long?

Any comments on this?

it did pretty good, all things considered.

MGS is traditionally console-only so no surprises there. took awhile for dark souls to really catch on on PC so its not like these games' audience jump to PC ports right away

yuraya

Best games of this gen imo. Bought em both on Steam weeks before they released.

I did my part :D

Any comments on this?

MGSV been sitting at like 750-900k since Dec of last year. Its legs haven't really been that good because Konami hasn't really given it good discounts. Even the discount now during summer sale isn't that good. It was very impressive launch month and it had highest concurrent playerbase total for any Japanese game in steam history until Dark Souls 3 came out. MGSV peaked at 91k during launch week and Dark Souls 3 reached 130k. Both games are pretty much some of the most successful and popular titles in history of Steam when you look at their launch impact.

It's baffling that Japanese AAA games don't make it to PC same day as consoles. The data is there, but nope, let's not make more money.

120v

It's baffling that Japanese AAA games don't make it to PC same day as consoles. The data is there, but nope, let's not make more money.

PC isn't their wheelhouse. better to have a late port than a Day One botched job

they're getting there though

Top Bottom