• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 and MGS5 sales top 1 million copies on Steam (SteamSpy)

Porting the Legacy Collection to PC/PS4/XBO would be cheap, risk-adverse, and have huge margins. Would basically fit perfectly with Konami's current strategy, I fully believe it will happen at one point.

Fully agree, the new 32 inch Full HD LCD gives amazing cinematic feel while rolling.

zLE5Bdv.jpg

We should petition Konami for a digital version to be playable on PSVR and VIVE in the future. I love pinball and Konami.

Any sales updates on Quantum Break for UWP?

Must have Won 32 hearts with their crossbuy promotion.

Remember, kids: it's not port begging if it's for the PC.

Atlus is owned by SEGA, not SONY. None of their games or in-house active SEGA IP's are even funded by SONY (not even Shenmue III), to even remotely call it port begging.

oNObxMf.gif

You must realize that companies tend to obfuscate this type of information.

Stump'd em
I am not the one who is making assumptions about the revenue of a certain corporation without any fact whatsoever. The burden of proof is on you, and you have not provided any.
PSN also takes 30%, and physycal takes almost double that, so uh, no, you don't seem to understand revenues pretty well in the slightest.

And wow, it sold 300k in Japan! Your point being?
My point being in one region the PS4 version alone sold as much as a third of PC base. I understand how revenues work pretty well, also 50-60% for physical revenues? Source? Or you would not bother to provide evidence for this claim as well?
Oh cool are we doing that thing where we count PlayStation and Xbox together for some reason?

To say nothing of shipped vs. sold and you getting the price blatantly wrong.

First of all it was him who made that claim. It was his claim that the PC provides most revenues for these games, without backing the claim with anything. Also if there is no demand, the game would not have shipped as much as it did. Ok so i got the number wrong, that does not mean much when the PC version is outsold 2-1. Furthermore the shipped number is from 11th of May.

Orayn

"Outsold 2 to 1" is a funny way of stating that it's quite possibly the single highest selling platform.

MUnited83

For you.
I am not the one who is making assumptions about the revenue of a certain corporation without any fact whatsoever. The burden of proof is on you, and you have not provided any.

My point being in one region the PS4 version alone sold as much as a third of PC base. I understand how revenues work pretty well, also 50-60% for physical revenues? Source? Or you would not bother to provide evidence for this claim as well?

First of all it was him who made that claim. It was his claim that the PC provides most revenues for these games, without backing the claim with anything. Also if there is no demand, the game would not have shipped as much as it did. Ok so i got the number wrong, that does not mean much when the PC version is outsold 2-1. Furthermore the shipped number is from 11th of May.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-10-where-does-my-money-go-article

You also made assumptions about sales without any fact whatsoever and thinking that shipping means sold so lol

And i'll let you know, PS4+Xbox One are not a single platform. They're actually two completely different consoles. Amazing :eek:

It's a proven fact that digital has a higher cut going to the publisher. Most PC games are sold entirely through digital platforms. Most console games are sold on retail on physical platform. If a game has sold a equivalent number of units between platforms, PC will be the one with the most revenue. This is pure hard fact.

Hektor

Ok so i got the number wrong, that does not mean much when the PC version is outsold 2-1. Furthermore the shipped number is from 11th of May.

But it wasn't outsold 2 - 1. It was outshipped 2 - 1 if anything. Let alone the fact that you're still doing this nonsensical thing of combining xbox with playstation numbers.

NEO0MJ

I understand revenues pretty well, and Steam takes 30% of that revenue so .... And the numbers favor consoles.

No I am not wrong either way. DS3 did not sell more on PC nor did it make more revenues, unless you can prove otherwise. DS3 sold around 300k alone on PS4 in Japan, so yeah, unless you have any evidence to back up what you are saying, don't throw these kind of assumptions as facts.

Game companies make more online than they do at retail. At MSRP a game will have to sell 14 copies at retail for every 9 games at a digital store to make an equal amount of money, plus there's a lot less hassle involved in selling at a digital market.

From/Namco probably still made more on consoles combined but I think there's a chance they made more on PC than X1.

Ubisoft stated that they get 55% from a game sold through retail. EA claims 60%.

Steam itself isn't that a big deal for such publishers. The jump from 55% to 70% isn't that big, especially if you also add other positive effects of the retail market. There is a reason why Ubisoft and EA are pushing their own digital stores because the jump from 55% to close to 100% is big.

Well deserved. I wonder if we can start a petition for atlus to hop on board. EO and SMT are dungeon crawlers so they already something that appeals to the PC audience already.

orochi91

This is a pretty pointless discussing, you won't convince the other of anything by being condescending to eachother while both sides are talking about unkowns and guesswork with sprinkles of easily verifyable wrong facts.

The PC might have given FS the most revenue or it might have been the ps4 depending on the ps4 sales, but we have no idea which of it it is more than just (un)educated guesses.
we can't expect FS to go out with official numbers as that's something that most devs/pubs will try to keep a secret.

But we can all agree with that eitherway PC has probably generated a lot of revenue for FS and will continue to do so in the future.

Please remember why sales threads often gets locked and try to act accordingly.
+1

Agreed, until FS forks over relevant revenue info, some of the convos in this thread are pretty pointless.
PC version has been the top revenue version for the Souls series.
You're gonna have to stop stating this unless you've got some concrete proof, otherwise it'll just cause derails and endless guess-work from posters.

Lister

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-10-where-does-my-money-go-article

You also made assumptions about sales without any fact whatsoever and thinking that shipping means sold so lol

And i'll let you know, PS4+Xbox One are not a single platform. They're actually two completely different consoles. Amazing :eek:

It's a proven fact that digital has a higher cut going to the publisher. Most PC games are sold entirely through digital platforms. Most console games are sold on retail on physical platform. If a game has sold a equivalent number of units between platforms, PC will be the one with the most revenue. This is pure hard fact.

just nitpicking, but you probably meant to say higher profit. Revenue will either be the same or less on PC since it's usualy cheaper to pick up the game on PC, but because the margins are near 2 to 1 on PC, the console version basically needs to sell nealry double to be as profitable.

Lister

Banned
+1

Agreed, until FS forks over relevant revenue info, some of the convos in this thread are pretty pointless.

You're gonna have to stop stating this unless you've got some concrete proof, otherwise it'll just cause derails and endless guess-work from posters.

Pretty sure this has been shown to be the case numerous times now. Pretty sure you were there and involved in those threads. Pretty sure you're just trolling now, because you know better.

Lister

Banned
So it truly is impossible to have a thread about Steam/PC sales without the PS4 brigade thread shitting...

silva1991

If I remember correctly Bloodborne sold 1 million copies in just a month and DS3 came out almost 3 months ago

It's safe to guess that it sold the best on PS4(for now).

orochi91

Pretty sure this has been shown to be the case numerous times now. Pretty sure you were there and involved in those threads. Pretty sure you're just trolling now, because you know better.
So it truly is impossible to have a thread about Steam/PC sales without the PS4 brigade thread shitting...
Welcome back from the ban, I see you're as aggressive as ever, lol

Did you fail to notice the poster/post (Spirited) I was agreeing with? Is he trolling too?

Fdkn

Why every PC sales succeed thread needs to be derailed to the revenue argument?

We don't even have the data to know what version won that not really interesting battle.

For once, PS4 and XB1 are not equal for the Dark Souls series, and if I had to guess, I'd put it around 4:1 or even more in favour of PS4 taking into consideration how loopsided was the split in NPD, where the XB1 share is higher than anywhere else.
Digital sales are also a thing in consoles, and they are no longer that marginal. For the last year we've been hearing estimates of ~20% and the store cut is the same there than in steam. (there's also the cdkeys resellers factor, but I don't even care to argue about that)
We have to remember also the various limited and collector editions that come with stuff for fans and they have higher margins, but all those are retail only.
Finally, if some users are so worried about what's best for From Software in this particular case, they need to take into consideration that japanese sales are very important for them, because in that market they actually publish the game, while in the west Namco does it.

at the end of the day, why care so much? the game is a success, and that's the really important thing.

Now please, the DLCs

Parsnip

That's cool cool cool.

Sadly threads about healthy PC platform always turn into this shit. Can't you folks just be happy that the games are doing well?

Just this once?

Which is a mistake, as seen in this case. FFXV not getting a day and date release is mind blowing in term of incompetence considering how much time and money they're throwing on side products when they could make a competent PC port that'd sell a lot.

I don't. As for the enchanced PC version, it'll basically be the game running the way it was intended to run. Either As for late ports, I can understand the strategy for smaller release. It's sometimes more efficient for stuff like IFI releases, because they can't sell these at full price on PC. But for AAA titles ? It doesn't makes any sense.

They already have expanded the games scope by making it multiplat and current gen.

At this point, it's wise just get the thing out.

Nyoro SF

Is Valkyria: Azure Revolution ever leaving Japan? I'm honestly not convinced it is.

Well, two things about that.

Given that USA and Europe out-purchases the series compared to Japan, I would be rather shocked if they didn't take advantage of that.

Secondly, games are way too expensive nowadays to not localize anymore. They can't make a game of this scale and sell 20,000 copies to the Japanese, that's suicide.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, two things about that.

Given that USA and Europe out-purchases the series compared to Japan, I would be rather shocked if they didn't take advantage of that.

Secondly, games are way too expensive nowadays to not localize anymore. They can't make a game of this scale and sell 20,000 copies to the Japanese, that's suicide.
Actually that's why I'm wondering.

This seems to have very little to do with Valkyria as it was and I'm wondering if they don't want to localize it to avoid poisoning the well for a more traditional sequel.

Sega has some precedence for this with refusing to localize Yakuza spin offs.

They notably never bothered remastering the PSP entries either (or bringing over the third). They seem to want people to forget those.

Nyoro SF

This seems to have very little to do with Valkyria as it was and I'm wondering if they don't want to localize it to avoid poisoning the well for a more traditional sequel.

They notably never bothered remastering the PSP entries either (or bringing over the third).

They know that the brand name has a lot of power in the West even if the power is lessened from the shift of the spinoff being an ARPG.

Remastering the PSP entries would be a massive undertaking, which they've noted in an interview (they said specifically it would be a ground-up undertaking and that they want to get Azure Revolution out the door first before considering that option).

And the reason they didn't localize the 3rd game was because the PSP was a dead platform in America/Europe at that time, not because of lack of brand power. Plus the PSP was a very bad platform to choose for global reasoning, as VC2 sold 1/5th of VC1 in NPD.

The situation has changed a lot from back then to today.

Ignoring the fact that I didn't claim that.

But if you have the infrastructure and range you don't do that but you set up an own digital shop. There is a reason you can't find Overwatch on Steam.

Same EA and Ubisoft claimed that digital bring twice more revenue for them. So, sth doesnt add up to your figure.

Bluth54

I understand revenues pretty well, and Steam takes 30% of that revenue so .... And the numbers favor consoles.

Between the license fee that Microsoft and Sony charge for each disk manufactured, the retail cut, and the manufacturer/shipping costs publishers make less then 70% of the retail sticker price on a game sold in a store. With a Steam release you also don't have issues like overproducing a game and having stock rot in a warehouse or shelves, and have to pay back retailers for lost revenue for returns or price drops.

You clearly don't understand revenue very well.

Edit: Here's an article on it, Publishers make less then 50% of the cost of a game sold a retail.

Is Valkyria: Azure Revolution ever leaving Japan? I'm honestly not convinced it is.

They notably never bothered remastering the PSP entries either (or bringing over the third). They seem to want people to forget those.

It would be an exceptionally bad idea for it to NOT get localized, possibly worse of a decision than VC2 and 3 shifting to the PSP.

PS4 is simply not doing hot at all in Japan - Last I heard the WiiU had it beat still.

Sega's logic for VC2's platform switch was a higher install base - If Azure Revolution isn't localized, that would be a very pants-on-head reversal of strategy that would kill the series in Japan the same way the PSP switch killed the series in the west for four years. It's blatantly obvious that it's going to be localized, unless Sega truly has lost all their remaining wit. There is also the very important matter that Azure Revolution is the first HD game in the series since the original. To skip localizing it would just make people assume the series is dead in the west for real this time and smother any hype for future entries.

Now, if we were talking VC4 being announced as a 3DS game, then yes, yes I would be worried about localization chances - Especially so in Europe since Sega Europe has ceased support for the 3DS, with even their support for the PS4 being anemic in comparison to their laser focus on Steam.

...Now, if Azure Revolution turns out to be an exceptionally bad game... Then yes I'd imagine Sega would be hesitant to localize it. But Media.Vision has pedigree, and they made the best game in the series to boot. I have faith still.

To think Dark souls 3 was selling at cheap as 20pounds on shady cd key sites, so would double dip now if was that price with pound so low. Oh well have it on Xbox one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ubisoft stated that they get 55% from a game sold through retail. EA claims 60%.

Steam itself isn't that a big deal for such publishers. The jump from 55% to 70% isn't that big, especially if you also add other positive effects of the retail market. There is a reason why Ubisoft and EA are pushing their own digital stores because the jump from 55% to close to 100% is big.

Ubisoft sells its games on Steam, and it's probably worth clarifying that, contrary to popular belief, EA sells its games on digital stores other than Origin. You can even buy an EA game on Uplay or an Ubi game on Origin if you want to divide by zero.

You're right that 55% -> 100% is a big jump, but I really don't think Origin is doing as well as EA would like you to believe. There's a reason why Ubisoft, despite Uplay being several years old (the service launched alongside AssCreed 2 in 2009), still sells its games on Steam and has only improved how the client integrates with Steam.

Pachael

I think they (Atlus USA) will localise Azure Revolution over to judge interest in further entries in the series. It'd probably be niche enough to localise.

As far as poisoning the well, I thought Valkyria Chronicles 2 already did that (and that was localised), so it can't go much worse than that.

Top Bottom