• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 and MGS5 sales top 1 million copies on Steam (SteamSpy)

ZeroX03

Banned
A same day PC release for FFXV would be great.

Atlus, Level-5 and to a smaller extent Square-Enix.

Same day isn't happening for Square-Enix. They have a pattern for releasing FF games, a PC version of XV (and XII) will come eventually. But they won't prioritize it, and they'll leave it 6-12 months to snatch up double dippers, require a smaller porting team, whatever. They've got so many titles and many platforms to choose from, so they'll just drip feed as they go. I expect FF8 and FF9 on PS4 eventually, but there's not really a need to rush for SE.

It's just a matter of patience with SE. The game you want will be on your platform of choice eventually. I'm looking forward to native FFX on mobile within a decade.

845k (Margin of error 24k) sales on Steam as-per Steamspy.

How much have the console versions sold in the west? I mean, considering neither VC1 nor Remastered have ever charted on NPD.

If Azure Revolution doesn't come to PC and Sega Europe isn't cleared to port it themselves, I can assure you, that won't be happening without Sega of Europe protesting such a decision.

PS3 Valkyria Chronicles shipped over 1 million.

Nyoro SF

Keep in mind that particular number was never confirmed to be PS3.
I know because I'm the person that made that original error of thinking so (and unfortunately propagated that false narrative through forums).

Another user put up good reasoning to think that 1 million number actually included PC at the time.

And I share his reasoning because right now the final NPD count for PS3 VC1 in USA is around ~250k (thanks to NPD leakers). Final Japanese LTD is around 200k as well including budget rerelease. I sincerely doubt that Europe purchased 600k to make up the shortfall from this point on as the PC version had around 500k units sold at the time. So in other words...

VC1 sold-through numbers (at the time of that 1 million announcement)
USA: ~250k
Japan: ~200k
Europe: Unknown
PC Global: ~500k

MUnited83

For you.
If games on consoles sold more than the revenue will be in favor of consoles, especially when the difference is huge. The fact is they PC version did not sell as much as cosnole, and that is a fact. First of all i did not assume anything, the other guy did. Publishers still get money from shipment to retailers FYI, it seems you are oblivious to this fact. Also supply = demand.
A lot of PC games are sold for very cheaply which hugely effects revenue, which you are conveniently ignoring. Also Souls game on the PS4 sell more copies than PC, based on the info that we have. Also console gamers buy digital copies as well, FYI.
Unless you and the others bring hard facts that the revenues on PC are higher, than you have no leg to stand on in this discussion.

It got outshipped by 3-1 not 2-1. Also combining platforms, it is because it is the same business deal for Bamco lol. They still get the same share.

And revenues take a huge hit when you sell games very cheaply, and that is also assuming that these games don´t sell digitally on consoles. It´s you and others that are trying to push a fact that Bamco has not made by saying that PC has more revenues than consoles for these games without backing it up with any evidence whatsoever.
LMAO. You come trying to say stuff without backing it up any evidence whatsoever and you tell the others they are doing the same? Lmao.

Hard facts? The majority of the sales on console are physical this is a hard fact. Not in a single of the posts i said consoles had no digital sales.

And tell me why I should give a flying fuck about what games are sold very cheaply? We're talking about Dark Souls 3 here, a game that barely had any sales at all, and it got 950 000 units sold even before the current sale.

Your reading comprehension is really lacking and you keep trying to bring up irrelevant factors to the discussion. Congrats. You also keep on constantly making shit up. It's quite entertaining.

845k (Margin of error 24k) sales on Steam as-per Steamspy.

How much have the console versions sold in the west? I mean, considering neither VC1 nor Remastered have ever charted on NPD.

If Azure Revolution doesn't come to PC and Sega Europe isn't cleared to port it themselves, I can assure you, that won't be happening without Sega of Europe protesting such a decision.

This isn't about sales. I'm well aware about how well VC sold on Steam. This is exactly my point though: If SEGA took a note about this success, other series such as Yakuza or other requested games would've followed pretty quickly. That's why I can totally see Azure Revolution skipping PC.

No, it didn't. The quote wasn't clear and the consensus is it was PS3+Steam at the time.

Same day isn't happening for Square-Enix. They have a pattern for releasing FF games, a PC version of XV (and XII) will come eventually. But they won't prioritize it, and they'll leave it 6-12 months to snatch up double dippers, require a smaller porting team, whatever. They've got so many titles and many platforms to choose from, so they'll just drip feed as they go. I expect FF8 and FF9 on PS4 eventually, but there's not really a need to rush for SE.

It's just a matter of patience with SE. The game you want will be on your platform of choice eventually. I'm looking forward to native FFX on mobile within a decade.

Double dippers are a smaller audience than day one sales. For ports of older, it's reasonable to expect 6 months 1 year delay. But you may notice that for late ports, it'll be the quality of the original game that will matter, and it's success. This is why X HD on Steam outsold by a good margin Type-0 HD, Lightning Returns and XIII-2 when you compare first month sales.

kswiston

This is why X HD on Steam outsold by a good margin Type-0 HD, Lightning Returns and XIII-2 when you compare first month sales.

Ya, I have no idea why Square-Enix is delaying Final Fantasy XV on PC (to the point that they aren't even announcing a port, even though they have ported every other Final Fantasy game to PC leading up to this).

If FFXV released on PC the same day as console, it would easily to Metal Gear Solid Numbers before price cuts. If their strategy is to drop the game 6-12 months late, they are going to have a hard time moving full priced copies unless launch price is $39. Even then, a lot of people will just wait another 6 months monts for the inevitable 50% off sales to start (similar to what we are seeing with the FF13 trilogy).

Ya, I have no idea why Square-Enix is delaying Final Fantasy XV on PC (to the point that they aren't even announcing a port, even though they have ported every other Final Fantasy game to PC leading up to this).

If FFXV released on PC the same day as console, it would easily to Metal Gear Solid Numbers before price cuts. If their strategy is to drop the game 6-12 months late, they are going to have a hard time moving full priced copies unless launch price is $39. Even then, a lot of people will just wait another 6 months monts for the inevitable 50% off sales to start (similar to what we are seeing with the FF13 trilogy).

I guess they are banking on there being enough double dippers that make late release more profitable (GTA V is the best example).

mejin

Pretty good numbers, though MGSV had 6 million LTD last time iirc. Most on PS4 it seems.
DS3 is doing as expected on PC. Looks like the SKU split is PS4 > PC > XB1.

New Nintendo hardware will take that 3rd place from Xbox I believe. But yep, PS4 is a beast. PC is solid as fuck.

kswiston

I guess they are banking on there being enough double dippers that make late release more profitable (GTA V is the best example).

GTA V is almost the only significant example if we are talking about months late ports that sold over 500k copies full ($60) price, and that's a game that has sold/shipped like 60M copies on consoles. I think you could probably argue that the PC version would be even higher than it is now if it was released with the PS4/XB1 versions.

Mifec

Yeah there is no way they'll be able to charge full price unless they release Tabata's magical "high spec" version and market it as such.

Battle.net was set up way before Steam though. Them making their client just so happened to happen after Steam, but most players already knew they had to make a different account.

Your argument would be better with Steam versus Origin or Uplay.

What argument? That publishers are pushing own digital stores?

That was like the point of my first post.

GTA V is almost the only significant example if we are talking about months late ports that sold over 500k copies full ($60) price, and that's a game that has sold/shipped like 60M copies on consoles. I think you could probably argue that the PC version would be even higher than it is now if it was released with the PS4/XB1 versions.

That is probably true but that would also mean PS4/XB1 versions being lower. Dunno if that would mean total numbers being lower too. I know a lot of people with at least two versions of GTA V (last gen and then PC). Had PC version launched with last gen versions back in 2013 I would argue that total numbers would be lower than currently. Also not saying this will work with FFXV but maybe that is the idea behind late PC version.

Okami is the one I absolutely cannot understand as there isn't a great Zelda-like on PC.

There is Oceanhorn, but yeah a full fledged 3D Zelda-like game would do good on PC. And the mechanics would translate well to keyboard/mouse so idk Capcom gonna Capcom

Durante

Double dippers are a smaller audience than day one sales. For ports of older, it's reasonable to expect 6 months 1 year delay. But you may notice that for late ports, it'll be the quality of the original game that will matter, and it's success. This is why X HD on Steam outsold by a good margin Type-0 HD, Lightning Returns and XIII-2 when you compare first month sales.
Yeah, it's really obvious.

But S-E clearly doesn't make informed platform decisions based on observable facts :p

MrS

Banned
Really happy that DS3 reached a milli so quickly on Steam. Much deserved as it's an incredible game. Now use that money to bring DS1 to PS4.

Fishook

These are some strong numbers for console focused franchises, (I have no interest in these games, as I have always been a PC Gamer).

I just think is just a natural progress of gamer's brought up on consoles migrating to PC's, PC games tend to be slow burners rather than buy and then trade mentality But most games sales figures are less successful than you think..

If games on consoles sold more than the revenue will be in favor of consoles, especially when the difference is huge. The fact is they PC version did not sell as much as cosnole, and that is a fact. First of all i did not assume anything, the other guy did. Publishers still get money from shipment to retailers FYI, it seems you are oblivious to this fact. Also supply = demand.
Uh, supply != demand.

I'm not gonna touch on this specific case, but generally speaking, there can be too much supply comparing to the demand. When that happens (and it does happen with games too every now and then), I'm pretty sure retailers aren't gonna eat the cost by themselves. If a game fails and it doesn't sell its supply, there are systems in place with which the retailers can get their money back from the publisher (at least most of, I'm not sure of the details).

If I remember correctly, Nirolak had a thread about this quite a while back, or it was discussed in some of his threads. I'm not gonna dig it out at the moment (busy sorry, so feel free to disregard it completely if it doesn't fit your agenda) but it does make sense too because the publisher is the one ultimately responsible for selling the game.

Top Bottom