• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 and MGS5 sales top 1 million copies on Steam (SteamSpy)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Impressed by Dark Souls. MGS5 Steam codes were handed out like candy to Nvidia buyers the year of its release.

Zaventem

Good to know Dark Souls 2 failed to bypass the first game even with the rerelease, it's something they should always keep in mind so we don't end up with a game as shit as that ever again.

Durante

inb4 "but how many of those were sold at $2?"
In that context it should be noted that DS3 was sitting at 950k before any sale at all. And it's priced at $60.

It probably already made as much or even more revenue than the other gams in the franchise.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What's with people trying so hard to put down the sales and pretend these are not successes?

What's with people trying so hard to put down the sales and pretend these are not successes?

It's how these threads go around here nothing unusual. Some people somehow feel threatened by the success of typical console games on PC but that's as far as I can go cause I don't get their motives.

gdt

Good to know Dark Souls 2 failed to bypass the first game even with the rerelease, it's something they should always keep in mind so we don't end up with a game as shit as that ever again.

Hasn't been on sale as long dude.

Why every PC sales succeed thread needs to be derailed to the revenue argument?

Because some people don't like accepting the place PC gaming has earned itself as far as being a strong platform for game sales to big third party publishers.

It's how these threads go around here nothing unusual. Some people somehow feel threatened by the success of typical console games on PC but that's as far as I can go cause I don't get their motives.

Well, it's quite simple.

More successfull PC ports means less console exclusive games, especially for third party games. If you browse Japanese centric gaming websites like Gematsu and Siliconera, you can easily spot angry console (only) folks in PC ports announcement articles. The mods even have to ban people and close the comment section at times. That's basically it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-10-where-does-my-money-go-article

You also made assumptions about sales without any fact whatsoever and thinking that shipping means sold so lol

And i'll let you know, PS4+Xbox One are not a single platform. They're actually two completely different consoles. Amazing :eek:

It's a proven fact that digital has a higher cut going to the publisher. Most PC games are sold entirely through digital platforms. Most console games are sold on retail on physical platform. If a game has sold a equivalent number of units between platforms, PC will be the one with the most revenue. This is pure hard fact.

If games on consoles sold more than the revenue will be in favor of consoles, especially when the difference is huge. The fact is they PC version did not sell as much as cosnole, and that is a fact. First of all i did not assume anything, the other guy did. Publishers still get money from shipment to retailers FYI, it seems you are oblivious to this fact. Also supply = demand.
A lot of PC games are sold for very cheaply which hugely effects revenue, which you are conveniently ignoring. Also Souls game on the PS4 sell more copies than PC, based on the info that we have. Also console gamers buy digital copies as well, FYI.
Unless you and the others bring hard facts that the revenues on PC are higher, than you have no leg to stand on in this discussion.

But it wasn't outsold 2 - 1. It was outshipped 2 - 1 if anything. Let alone the fact that you're still doing this nonsensical thing of combining xbox with playstation numbers.
It got outshipped by 3-1 not 2-1. Also combining platforms, it is because it is the same business deal for Bamco lol. They still get the same share.

Between the license fee that Microsoft and Sony charge for each disk manufactured, the retail cut, and the manufacturer/shipping costs publishers make less then 70% of the retail sticker price on a game sold in a store. With a Steam release you also don't have issues like overproducing a game and having stock rot in a warehouse or shelves, and have to pay back retailers for lost revenue for returns or price drops.

You clearly don't understand revenue very well.

Edit: Here's an article on it, Publishers make less then 50% of the cost of a game sold a retail.

And revenues take a huge hit when you sell games very cheaply, and that is also assuming that these games don´t sell digitally on consoles. It´s you and others that are trying to push a fact that Bamco has not made by saying that PC has more revenues than consoles for these games without backing it up with any evidence whatsoever.

iBlue

DS2 is a good souls game dunno where all this hate comes from

Zia

While I know that this thread is primarily about day-and-date releases, looking at the numbers for these games and really solid ports like Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon's Dogma, it's absolutely baffling to me that PC doesn't have stuff like Yakuza and Monster Hunter, or ports of classics like Okami and Vanquish.

It's ridiculous that people claim that publishers are basically gifting their games to the retail market. If the gross margin gap between retail and even third party digital stores like Steam is truely so big as some people claiming - publishers would have left the retailmarket a long time ago. But in reality you can still buy even games like Overwatch in retail.

These aren't mine either. So it doesn't explain EA's claim.

Will PM Nirolak that he writes bullshit.

kswiston

Hasn't been on sale as long dude.

When they released the updated version of Dark Souls 2, they bumped the game back up to full price and stopped offering Steam sales on the original (still $40 after 2 years) game.

Scholars of Sin is just now getting into that $15 range that vanilla Dark Souls 2 was hitting during sales 18 months ago.

Most people who jumped on the Prepare to Die Edition did so during one of the countless $5-10 sales. Dark Souls 2 is going to sell a ton of copies whenever it finally reaches that price point (maybe during the winter sale if the MSRP for Scholars finally dips to $40 before then).

No one is claiming that though. Also, no need to be patronizing.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1141490&page=1
Instead of trying to claim I'm saying someone writes bullshit, maybe we could try, you know, think how can EA arrives to such numbers.

If EA refers to the own digital store only than 2x isn't that far away. 55-60% to close to 100% is quite close at doubling the margins for the own games.

Possible it also includes DLC and microtransactions to some degree.

If EA refers to the own digital store only than 2x isn't that far away. 55-60% to close to 100% is quite close at doubling the margins for the own games.

Possible it also includes DLC and microtransactions to some degree.

Over twice more though. And considering how they talk about consoles digital too, I doubt they only talk about Origin.

Now maybe there are datas we dont have, maybe retailers takes a smaller margin on big publishers because of negociations or they just habe a different way to get the calculations done.

kswiston

Over twice more though. And considering how they talk about consoles digital too, I doubt they only talk about Origin.

Now maybe there are datas we dont have, maybe retailers takes a smaller margin on big publishers because of negociations or they just habe a different way to get the calculations done.

Maybe that is factoring in a distributed cost of development or something. If they are getting $35 for a retail copy and $42 for a digital copy, the margin is more than twice as much if sunk costs per copy is around $30.

Dark Souls 3,despite being my least favourite deserves it...MGS5,i wasn't bowled over by but it was always gonna sell pretty well

Hektor

Also combining platforms, it is because it is the same business deal for Bamco lol. They still get the same share.

Point_over_your_head.jpg

Again: Combining the numbers of a game from Xbox and PS makes no sense ever. Especially not if you're arguing on which platform a game is getting the best sales. Consoles aren't a platform.

KR_remix

Ubisoft stated that they get 55% from a game sold through retail. EA claims 60%.

Steam itself isn't that a big deal for such publishers. The jump from 55% to 70% isn't that big, especially if you also add other positive effects of the retail market. There is a reason why Ubisoft and EA are pushing their own digital stores because the jump from 55% to close to 100% is big.

8-9 million dollars isn't that big?

It got outshipped by 3-1 not 2-1.

The 3 million shipped figure didn't include pc?

Point_over_your_head.jpg

Again: Combining the numbers of a game from Xbox and PS makes no sense ever. Especially not if you're on whic platform a game is getting the best sales. Consoles aren't a platform.

It's funny how people manage to treat two even four different SKU which involves different developpements and costs into one :")
There's no console and PC sku.
It's PS4/XB1/PC. Each SKU had a different cost, a different port and a different developpement.

Because it might outperform precious Bloodborne. What a travesty for the public to prefer a Souls game. And a non-exclusive one at that!

Wth? This seems like a you problem.

I thought this thread turned into PS4's (or maybe combined consoles') greater sales vs PC's greater cut.

Where did the Bloodborne angle come from?

Ganondorfo

I dont think Metal Gear series will continue without Kojima. I dont think they ever continued a series when the original creator left, especially a person who was involved in almost every game in this franchise.

So I think Phantom Pain is the last main entry in this series (not counting mobile or pachinko stuff).

And this is why we'll have another arpg in dark souls style.
And i'm so happy.

Yeah, man. Agreed.

I know From stated that they wanted to get away from Souls-like games for a while, but with the games selling so well, I don't see them giving up on all of that money. No way. Not with other companies closing, and From finding their niche.

I hope they have enough hands to continue Souls style games while still revisiting their older titles and branching out to new games.

Wth? This seems like a you problem.

I thought this thread turned into PS4's (or maybe combined consoles') greater sales vs PC's greater cut.

Where did the Bloodborne angle come from?
The only reason it's a discussion is because DS3 wasn't an exclusive. Unlike BB, which many on this board think pales in comparison to DS3.

Well, it's quite simple.

More successfull PC ports means less console exclusive games, especially for third party games. If you browse Japanese centric gaming websites like Gematsu and Siliconera, you can easily spot angry console (only) folks in PC ports announcement articles. The mods even have to ban people and close the comment section at times. That's basically it.

Well yea I've figured it's something like that, it's just extremely stupid to be even called a motive. If you care about videogames, and I'm not talking about DS3 here, especially those japanese niche games will need all the sales they can get to even have a chance of surviving. So these people should be fucking happy that they are doing good on Steam cause that means niche genres surviving instead of dying. Same thing can be said of larger games like DS3 although they are not struggling to survive but more sales has a direct relation to a healthier industry, higher budget and higher quality games. That is what bothers me that these people who claim to love videogames are just sad fanboys that aren't interested in what should be the best for a consumer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But if you have the infrastructure and range you don't do that but you set up an own digital shop. There is a reason you can't find Overwatch on Steam.

Battle.net was set up way before Steam though. Them making their client just so happened to happen after Steam, but most players already knew they had to make a different account.

Your argument would be better with Steam versus Origin or Uplay.

While I know that this thread is primarily about day-and-date releases, looking at the numbers for these games and really solid ports like Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon's Dogma, it's absolutely baffling to me that PC doesn't have stuff like Yakuza and Monster Hunter, or ports of classics like Okami and Vanquish.

They are definitely taking their sweet time porting the classics.

Pretty good numbers, though MGSV had 6 million LTD last time iirc. Most on PS4 it seems.
DS3 is doing as expected on PC. Looks like the SKU split is PS4 > PC > XB1.

I doubt it's happening.

845k (Margin of error 24k) sales on Steam as-per Steamspy.

How much have the console versions sold in the west? I mean, considering neither VC1 nor Remastered have ever charted on NPD.

If Azure Revolution doesn't come to PC and Sega Europe isn't cleared to port it themselves, I can assure you, that won't be happening without Sega of Europe protesting such a decision.

kswiston

845k (Margin of error 24k) sales on Steam as-per Steamspy.

How much have the console versions sold in the west? I mean, considering neither VC1 nor Remastered have ever charted on NPD.

If Azure Revolution doesn't come to PC and Sega Europe isn't cleared to port it themselves, I can assure you, that won't be happening without Sega of Europe protesting such a decision.

I'm pretty sure we had confirmation of the remastered version of VC1 doing terrible numbers on NPD.

We had a recent discussion of the sales of the PS3 version of Valkyria. I don't remember what the actual number was, but I'm pretty sure if was between 200-300k in the US. The Steam version is sitting at ~320K in the US.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well, it's quite simple.

That sounds childish and petty. a PC port doesnt erase the existance of the same game on their console(s).

in fact I hope there will be more PC ports from consoles so more people gets to play more games.

I'm pretty sure we had confirmation of the remastered version of VC1 doing terrible numbers on NPD.

We had a recent discussion of the sales of the PS3 version of Valkyria. I don't remember what the actual number was, but I'm pretty sure if was between 200-300k in the US. The Steam version is sitting at ~320K in the US.

Now uh, granted, the picture for the PS4 version is incomplete - After all, it's available digitally.

Any numbers of the PS3 version should be solid though. Never got a digital release because they didn't want to have to patch trophies in.

Top Bottom