• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 Story and Lore Discussion [Unmarked Spoilers]

Fhtagn

I don't know what I think, but the Chosen Undead killing Nito does not prevent Nito's corpse from being eaten later. Doesn't mean it was either. That blade sure looks like the Gravelord Sword to me, but unless there's textural back up, this is the sort of thing I consider fair game for head cannon but not something I'd think worth predicating a deep lore dive on.

Also on the Nito front, again this is just appearances, but I've seen people saying the giant coffin in the Iudex Gundyr fight room is meant to evoke Nito's coffin.

Ack, top post.

Noray, I really appreciate you citing all those item descriptions, really pulling some of the subtle connections together for me.

I'm fairly certain that the weapon Aldritch uses is the Life Hunt Scythe since that's one of the weapons her souls can be made into. And that makes way more sense since it doesn't clash with the events of Dark Souls 1. If we imagine that the events of the Dark Souls 3 universe takes place after a typical first time players Dark Souls 1 playthrough, then it makes sense that Aldritch got whoever was left afterwards.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly certain that the weapon Aldritch uses is the Life Hunt Scythe since that's one of the weapons her souls can be made into. And that makes way more sense since it doesn't clash with the events of Dark Souls 1. If we imagine that the events of the Dark Souls 3 universe takes place after a typical first time players Dark Souls 1 playthrough, then it makes sense that Aldritch got whoever was left afterwards.

No. It's not. First of all, *his. Second, the Lifehunt Scythe is a miracle and if you'd read the description you'd know he saw either Priscilla or Yorshka in a dream. Third, it doesn't look like the Lifehunt Scythe. Like, at all. It's a big ass stick with a Gravelord-esque glaive on the end.

Sigh. Aldrich was a mistake. Nothing but trash.

Mandelbo

If we imagine that the events of the Dark Souls 3 universe takes place after a typical first time players Dark Souls 1 playthrough, then it makes sense that Aldritch got whoever was left afterwards.

This makes sense to me too. You don't have to kill Gwyndolin, but it's not possible to finish the game without killing Nito. There's nothing left for Aldrich to devour in Nito's case, since the only thing that escaped was Nito's soul, which became The Rotten, which was then also promptly killed in DS2. If it escaped once it could presumably do it again, but there's nothing to suggest that and even if it did the form Aldrich took on probably wouldn't look like Nito anyway.

No. It's not. First of all, *his. Second, the Lifehunt Scythe is a miracle and if you'd read the description you'd know he saw either Priscilla or Yorshka in a dream. Third, it doesn't look like the Lifehunt Scythe. Like, at all. It's a big ass stick with a Gravelord-esque glaive on the end.

Sigh. Aldrich was a mistake. Nothing but trash.

Interesting, so he knows about Priscilla, but never found her. About the looks, I was giving that the benefit of the doubt as he could change how the weapon worked, but I guess that's not the case.

Zocano

Also if he ate Nito he woulda had necromancy powers. Especially with how his whole body is consumed corpses. That's clearly not the case and he only casts magics , attacks with his glaive thing, and uses the dark moon bow.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Here's another interesting tidbit. Sacred Oath: "This is the tale of the Sun's firstborn, his faithful first knight, and the brave dragonslayer who served them both."

The Sun's firstborn we now know is Nameless King. His faithful fist knight we can assume is Ornstein, since Dark Souls 3 confirms that Smough was "the last knight to stand in defense of the ruined cathedral" (Smough set) and we find Ornstein's spear and armor in Archdragon Peak, which states that he "left the land in search of ther nameless king." Also the Leo Ring states it outright: "Ornstein was the first knight of the sun's eldest born."

Who, then, is the "brave dragonslayer who served them both"? I don't know definitively. I think it may be Havel. Remember back to Dark Souls 1, we find Havel's things behind a hidden wall in Anor Londo along with an occult club, suggesting a plot against the Gods. Havel hated Seath, and may have turned on Gwyn to side with his firstborn along with Ornstein. And of course we find a Havel-wearing dude standing over a dragon's corpse in Archdragon Peak. Thoughts?

Zocano

Havel hated Seath but Seath hated dragons.

That was something that puzzled me earlier today when I ran into the description. No idea who it could be. Havel was never described as a dragon slayer, only heavily hinted as a "god" slayer.

Their usage of Havel has been wonky as shit. Almost as crazy as the fire keeper lore.

Amadeusz

Neo Member
Here's another interesting tidbit. Sacred Oath: "This is the tale of the Sun's firstborn, his faithful first knight, and the brave dragonslayer who served them both."

The Sun's firstborn we now know is Nameless King. His faithful fist knight we can assume is Ornstein, since Dark Souls 3 confirms that Smough was "the last knight to stand in defense of the ruined cathedral" (Smough set) and we find Ornstein's spear and armor in Archdragon Peak, which states that he "left the land in search of ther nameless king." Also the Leo Ring states it outright: "Ornstein was the first knight of the sun's eldest born."

By the way, I think that explains why (illusion?) of Ornstein treats Smoughs corpse "with respect" (if Smough dies first), and Smough just slams his hammer onto Ornsteins corpse without blinking an eye. People assumed Smough was brainless brute, and while he probably is, I think that he simply gave no shit because he knew Ornstein was gone away. Or did I miss something? I remember that part puzzling people so much after DS1 came out, why did they treat each other so differently when one of the dies.

Auctopus

By the way, I think that explains why (illusion?) of Ornstein treats Smoughs corpse "with respect" (if Smough dies first), and Smough just slams his hammer onto Ornsteins corpse without blinking an eye. People assumed Smough was brainless brute, and while he probably is, I think that he simply gave no shit because he knew Ornstein was gone away. Or did I miss something? I remember that part puzzling people so much after DS1 came out, why did they treat each other so differently when one of the dies.

It's a retcon. Don't try to connect the two games from Dark Souls 1 side because they clearly didn't have everything figured out 5 years ago.

Ornstein is graceful in his attacks so he absorbs the soul gracefully, Smough does heavy slam attacks so absorbs ornstein' soul in that manner too.

I just want the DLC so this line of thought can be replaced with something else completely inane. Ultimately, if FROM is willing to outright say he ate Gwyndolin, a completely ancillary and totally ignorable character from DS1, why WOULDN'T they state he consumed Nito or his soul, when Nito is an unavoidable part of DS1 and infinitely more popular and well known?

Just doesn't make much sense if you actually look at it instead of operating under the conclusion and finding evidence to back it.

Gwyn was actually the Cleric Beast all along.

Miyazaki is sitting in his office stalking us on GAF and stealing our genius ideas...even though it would be pure fan service i would like a large scale multi NPC fight like the DS2 dlc but its us + others vs Gwyn and his Four Knights...

One thing that is still perplexing me are the dead stone dragons. From what i've found so far it's never explained how they died or why they are there. And why are the undead worshipping their corpses?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I just want the DLC so this line of thought can be replaced with something else completely inane. Ultimately, if FROM is willing to outright say he ate Gwyndolin, a completely ancillary and totally ignorable character from DS1, why WOULDN'T they state he consumed Nito or his soul, when Nito is an unavoidable part of DS1 and infinitely more popular and well known?

Just doesn't make much sense if you actually look at it instead of operating under the conclusion and finding evidence to back it.

Since most people just regurgitate what they read or hear ad nauseum, hopefully someone actually influential like Vaati will come out and say "no Aldrich didn't eat Nito" so we don't have to hear this all the time from people who don't understand how narrative or evidence or Souls works. Especially in DS3 which is NOT SHY about referencing characters from Dark Souls 1 directly. Andre is in Firelink Shrine ffs. If they meant to say Aldrich ate Nito, we'd know. Fan service is already coming out the ass in this game, makes no sense they'd be so coy about it as to not even refer to him by his name, title, or anything at all.

Steez

Regarding the whole Nito/Aldrich thing. I'm not necessarily saying that he actually ate Nito, (as a side note: does Nito still hang out in his covenant coffin after we kill him in DkS1, I don't remember), but Noray's denial of visual elements is hilarious.

Dawg, it's straight up a phantom/magical/whatever version of the Gravelord Greatsword. It has literally the same bony structure with the exact same curvature and hole thingy on the opposite site of the blade and there's no question that Gwyndolin's crown has a skull element to it, which was absent in the first game. The coat is also unbelievably similar.

Now, it it's was just one of the three things mentioned, they okay, maaaaaaybe it would've been just coincidence. But we're talking about the series that is so incredibly particular about its visual design that it is in absolutely no freaking way just a coincidence.

Regarding the whole Nito/Aldrich thing. I'm not necessarily saying that he actually ate Nito, (as a side note: does Nito still hang out in his covenant coffin after we kill him in DkS1, I don't remember), but Noray's denial of visual elements is hilarious.

Dawg, it's straight up a phantom/magical/whatever version of the Gravelord Greatsword. It has literally the same bony structure with the exact same curvature and hole thingy on the opposite site of the blade and there's no question that Gwyndolin's crown has a skull element to it, which was absent in the first game. The coat is also unbelievably similar.

Now, it it's was just one of the three things mentioned, they okay, maaaaaaybe it would've been just coincidence. But we're talking about the series that is so incredibly particular about its visual design that it is in absolutely no freaking way just a coincidence.

DS3 goes out of its way to make sure the player knows who did what to whom from DS1.

If Nito was part of Aldritch/Eldritch, we'd know because it'd be outright stated, just like Gwyndolin. FROM wouldn't hide something like that to be inferred from visual cues, they'd make it PAINFULLY obvious to the point where some NPC would talk about it. Nito is 10000x more important to DS lore than Gwyndolin, there's no way he's part of Aldritch/Eldritch and we weren't outright told.

Steez

DS3 goes out of its way to make sure the player knows who did what to whom from DS1.

If Nito was part of Aldritch/Eldritch, we'd know because it'd be outright stated, just like Gwyndolin. FROM wouldn't hide something like that to be inferred from visual cues, they'd make it PAINFULLY obvious.

Man do you guys need a separate thread for nito fan cannon, he died in ds1, there are tons of people wearing skeletons nothing special etc

You guys are denying clear visual callbacks just because it's not mentioned explicitly and disregarding 4 other games' way of inferring story elements because 3 is more obvious and... reasons?

I mean... what? lol

edit: It's literally visual evidence vs I DON'T LIKE THING!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Lotta white noise on this page. Weird.

I'm thinking about Gertrude's cage and the feathers again, and the fact that the three golden winged knights only aggro when you get close to Gertrude's cage. But we find the miracle in her cage on a corpse, so I guess we are to assume it's her and she's dead? But it's just a regular corpse. And then there's all the feathers in the Princes' room. Confounding.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
edit: It's literally visual evidence vs I DON'T LIKE THING!

It's actually people interpreting "visual evidence" which in all cases can be explained more logically by the fact that Aldrich devours men being taken wildly out of context and making a HUGE LEAP by inferring that a character that is canonically dead and gone for ages (actual in-game ages) has somehow been eaten by a character despite this not being referenced anywhere in the game.

And I've acknowledged the Gravelord glaive. The rest is literally "OMG HE HAS SKELETONS AND A BLACK ROBE". Go back and read the last few pages. I'm done with idiots.

It's stuff like Seigward's quest that makes me wish that, while retaining the mystery of the majority of the plot, that they would at least expound on NPC interaction/storylines and make them a bit more... meaningful.

Knowing that Yhorm was a gentle, valiant man once makes the fight far more somber than fighting him alone when he's just a walking avatar of fuckshitupness.

Auctopus

Maybe we should put Aldrich in a box for now and talk about other things. Vaati is going to 100% say it's Nito, he loves that sort of shit. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I'd rather have more proof than "it looks a bit like his coat and sword", I'm sure there'll be more breakthroughs soon. Not that it matters, once Vaati confirms something, it's parroted and becomes concrete. Insert Ludwig is Cleric Beast.

I will say that Nito's theme is definitely not in the theme though.

Lotta white noise on this page. Weird.

I'm thinking about Gertrude's cage and the feathers again, and the fact that the three golden winged knights only aggro when you get close to Gertrude's cage. But we find the miracle in her cage on a corpse, so I guess we are to assume it's her and she's dead? But it's just a regular corpse. And then there's all the feathers in the Princes' room. Confounding.

The feathers in the prince's room is definitely weird.

Steez

Guys this just in nashandra eat Priscilla and nito, she has a scythe and a skeleton dress!! If you say otherwise you are ignoring visual clues!!!!

As I said, I'm not necessarily saying he literally ate them. It can be a more of methaphorical thing, especially in the case of Priscilla, but there is clearly something going on here.

It's blowing my mind how some of you pass it of as some cringy Velstadt is the reincarnation of Garl Vinland fan canon type shit.

Also, and I feel stupid for even having to type this out, but Nashandra's shit looks vaguely kinda sorta similar. The blade of Aldritch's weapon is the Gravelord Greatsword down to a fucking T.

It's actually people interpreting "visual evidence" which in all cases can be explained more logically by the fact that Aldrich devours men being taken wildly out of context and making a HUGE LEAP by inferring that a character that is canonically dead and gone for ages (actual in-game ages) has somehow been eaten by a character despite this not being referenced anywhere in the game.

For the third time, I'm not saying he literally ate him. And I'm sorry, but you're just being super ignorant. How is it a huge leap? People presented clear evidence for some sort of connection. You're evidence is "but the game doesn't mention his name tho". Come on, man...

I'm done with idiots.

Lol, tell us how you really feel. People catching feelings and shit.

As I said, I'm not necessarily saying he literally ate them. It can be a more of methaphorical thing, especially in the case of Priscilla, but there is clearly something going on here.

It's blowing my mind how some of you pass it of as some cringy Velstadt is the reincarnation of Garl Vinland fan canon type shit.

Also, and I feel stupid for even having to type this out, but Nashandra's shit looks vaguely kinda sorta similar. The blade of Aldritch's weapon is the Gravelord Greatsword down to a fucking T.

Because Skeleton motifs and big ass swords look cool and it's easier to re-use the assets with minor technical and textural tweaks than to create new, distinct ones when you have a limited development time.

That really is what it boils down to. Not EVERYTHING in these games means something.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
As I said, I'm not necessarily saying he literally ate them.

So we're on the same page so what are you even arguing? I've already said it's likely a thematic callback. Both Aldrich and Nito heavily symbolize classical motifs associated with death. Aldrich eats people, consumes them, hence him being literally covered in skeletons (death). Nito is the First of the Dead, he's basically the grim reaper.

People presented clear evidence for some sort of connection. You're evidence is "but the game doesn't mention his name tho". Come on, man...

You know that when you claim something, burden of proof is on you, right? "Clear evidence" = his weapon looks like the gravelord sword. That is literally the only thing. That is not "clear evidence" of anything substantial.

Steez

Because Skeleton motifs and big ass swords look cool and it's easier to re-use the assets with minor technical and textural tweaks than to create new, distinct ones when you have a limited development time.

That really is what it boils down to. Not EVERYTHING in these games means something.

Have we been playing the same games since 09? Am I in bizzaro world where people suddenly ignore the way these games have been telling stories for years? Games that are so unbelievably, almost ridiculously particular about their design? Miyazaki doesn't reuse iconic weapons just for shits and giggles.

Also, DAWG, YOU ARE NOT LISTENING, lol. It's not just reused assets with some minor tweaks. From went of out their way to remodel Nito's blade in phantom form.

I mean, I understand that some of you don't like the Nito shit. I don't think I like it either. Shit doesn't make a lot of sense really. But this is clearly not just a vague similarity, or just a throwback.

So we're on the same page so what are you even arguing? I've already said it's likely a thematic callback. Both Aldrich and Nito heavily symbolize classical motifs associated with death. Aldrich eats people, consumes them, hence him being literally covered in skeletons (death). Nito is the First of the Dead, he's basically the grim reaper.

No, we're not on the same page. You're saying it's just a throwback. I'm saying there's more to it.

You know that when you claim something, burden of proof is on you, right? "Clear evidence" = his weapon looks like the gravelord sword. That is literally the only thing. That is not "clear evidence" of anything substantial.

It doesn't look like it. It is his sword.

gravelord_sword_by_tagahrim-d56efpb.png

0cb90fc554.png

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
In phantom form, just like Aldrich has Lifehunt Scythe in miracle form because he saw "a pale young girl in hiding" in a dream. So he took some inspiration from the first of the Dead, but didn't eat him because he's been dead since forever. Glad we could come to an agreement. Absent anything more than that, can we pleaseaseaseasease stop talking about Nito forever now.

It's probably akin to how you can get the Lifehunt scythe as a miracle. Aldritch buffs his weapon with some sorcery that mimics the Grave Lord sword. At least that's my guess at what's going on.

Steez

In phantom form, just like Aldrich has Lifehunt Scythe in miracle form because he saw "a pale young girl in hiding" in a dream. So he took some inspiration from the first of the Dead, but didn't eat him because he's been dead since forever.

I don't know why this took you 3 pages, anger, name calling and an emotional breakdown. Thank you.

Seyavesh

the princes in general have that really traditional holy/divine theme to them so that's probably something to consider re: the feathers in their room. but man i hope that general stuff is expounded upon because man the giant piles of feathers all over their throne is real weird looking- i can't even begin to think what that suggests given that the feathers mostly are on their side of the room and not the entrance

also aldritch buffs his weapon with the darkmoon blade spell actually, lol- i only just noticed it when co-oping on the fight by using the buff myself and going 'huh. i hope this doesn't make me do less damage to him.'
turns out it totally does

Bunch of random shots i took today

Quelana(?) and the Fair Lady

The moon in Irythill takes the shape of the Darkmoon

Yorshka's dialogue about Gwyndolin and Sulyvahn

holy shit, this is fantastic. the darkmoon literally being the irithyll moon is a wonderful touch

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why this took you 3 pages, anger, name calling and an emotional breakdown. Thank you.

?? I never said anything else?? I was arguing against people who were constantly arguing Aldrich ate Nito and who collectively slowly backpedaled to "I guess there is some vague thematic connection" which, duh. But glad you can see this as a victory, I guess. Good for you.

Re: Quelana, you find her Pyromancy tome on that corpse, and when you give it to Cornix he says she must've gone back to Izalith, which she clearly did. The spider corpse is probably one of her sisters. It's quite sad :'(

Also I don't think I saw that dialogue where Yorshka straight up calls Gwyndolin her "elder brother". I was assuming the "father Gwyn" stuff was just religious titling, but now... hmm.

the princes in general have that really traditional holy/divine theme to them so that's probably something to consider re: the feathers in their room. but man i hope that general stuff is expounded upon because man the giant piles of feathers all over their throne is real weird looking- i can't even begin to think what that suggests given that the feathers mostly are on their side of the room and not the entrance

That holy/divine theme extends to Gertrude, who worshiped the "angels" (likely the Primordial Serpents - see last page or 2). It's possible the Princes were also visited by an "Angel". Remember how they want the fire to just fade? What "angel" do we know who also wants this? Kaathe.

Steez

Yo, I think I missed something. What feathers are you guys talking about? What's the significance? Also, where is Gertrude's Cage?

?? I never said anything else?? I was arguing against people who were constantly arguing Aldrich ate Nito and who collectively slowly backpedaled to "I guess there is some vague thematic connection" which, duh. But glad you can see this is a victory, I guess. Good for you.

You were screaming you're heart out against me, despite me mentioning in three seperate posts that I don't think he necessarily ate them. Gotta work on your articulation game, if you want to avoid unnecessary arguments. There was also no backpedaling on "my" (I guess) camp regarding the visual design on Aldrich. I think we all stand firmly where we stood hours ago. In fact, you backpedaled on the Greatsword, lol.

Anyway, no hard feelings, friendo!

Puppen

Banned
I've beaten every Souls game and I don't know what you guys are even talking about. I recognize the names but there being any kind of story running through the series seems utterly foreign to me. Just always considered it a cool monster theme park with brilliant atmosphere and strange characters to talk to sometimes.

Seyavesh

Yo, I think I missed something. What feathers are you guys talking about? What's the significance? Also, where is Gertrude's Cage?

look at the ground in the room you fight them in.
there's feathers just littered all over the place, piling up around lothric's pedestal

Also I don't think I saw that dialogue where Yorshka straight up calls Gwyndolin her "elder brother". I was assuming the "father Gwyn" stuff was just religious titling, but now... hmm.
she calls gwyndolin her brother several times in the darkmoon loyalty promotion dialogue- i wanna say i maybe remember her even calling gwynevere sister but spotty memory and all of that

i guess i should've probably wrote what those were down but she's pretty much just like 'i really wish brother gwyndolin could see you, i know he'd be really excited to see someone as exceptional as you' and whatnot. it's a really familial tone. the main thing i noticed from that dialogue besides the family connection being more pushed is that she doesn't know that gwyndolin is dead- she talks about him in a present tense manner and as if he's still alive

Steez

I've beaten every Souls game and I don't know what you guys are even talking about. I recognize the names but there being any kind of story running through the series seems utterly foreign to me. Just always considered it a cool monster theme park with brilliant atmosphere and strange characters to talk to sometimes.

I was the same for Demon's and for my first playthrough of Dark 1. Didn't pay attention to shit and just enjoyed the ride. There is certainly an element of entertainment to the way these games have been telling stories though.
If you're interested, check out EpicNameBro's Dark Souls 1 lore stuff on youtube. Maybe you'll dig the obscure connections between events and characters and he keeps things factual unlike a lot of lore people.

look at the ground in the room you fight them in.
there's feathers just littered all over the place, piling up around lothric's pedestal

Yeah, but what's the significance? I must have missed other things relating to the feathers.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
she calls gwyndolin her brother several times in the darkmoon loyalty promotion dialogue- i wanna say i maybe remember her even calling gwynevere sister but spotty memory and all of that

i guess i should've probably wrote what those were down but she's pretty much just like 'i really wish brother gwyndolin could see you, i know he'd be really excited to see someone as exceptional as you' and whatnot. it's a really familial tone. the main thing i noticed from that dialogue besides the family connection being more pushed is that she doesn't know that gwyndolin is dead- she talks about him in a present tense manner and as if he's still alive

I'm guessing the "sickness" she's referring to is actually the fact that he's being slowly consumed, probably unbeknownst to her.

Anyway if she is talking familial terms, there are really only two options - either Gwyn had a child we didn't know about, or she's somehow Gwynevere in hiding in disguise? I don't like either option tbh.

Yeah, but what's the significance? I must have missed other things relating to the feathers.

Look in Gertrude's cage on top of the archive. I wrote a long post about Gertrude a couple pages back with all relevant item descriptions.

Auctopus

Yes, one one set of dialogue she refers to Gwyn as father in a religious way but in that dialogue just posted, she clearly states that Gwyndolin is her older brother.

Can we please stop talking about Aldrich for a bit? Whatever the case is, I'd rather get back to dissecting item descriptions etc.

When you beat the final boss, if you go back or go into NG+, Courland's throne has the Skull Ring on it and talks about a being called the "Soulfeeder".

"Derived from the soul of a Soulfeeder.

The Soulfeeder was a beast that insatiably absorbed souls to feed its own power. Even after its accursed corpse was burned, it is said that the pungent stench of souls left the air permanently stained."

Theme of Angels in Lothric Castle. There's feathers in Gertrude's cage and the two princes boss room is littered with feathers.

A user, forgot the name but has a Titan as an avatar made a decent visual connection between angels and the statues of he primordial serpents in Lothric castle.

Puppen

Banned
I was the same for Demon's and for my first playthrough of Dark 1. Didn't pay attention to shit and just enjoyed the ride. There is certainly an element of entertainment to the way these games have been telling stories though.
If you're interested, check out EpicNameBro's Dark Souls 1 lore stuff on youtube. Maybe you'll dig the obscure connections between events and characters and he keeps things factual unlike a lot of lore people.

Thanks, I'll check it out. One thing about DS3 that sounds cool as fuck if true is that Soul of Cinder is the player character from DS1. I want to read up on that.

Steez

Look in Gertrude's cage on top of the archive. I wrote a long post about Gertrude a couple pages back with all relevant item descriptions.

Theme of Angels in Lothric Castle. There's feathers in Gertrude's cage and the two princes boss room is littered with feathers.

Yeah, I don't think I found Gertrude's cage. Thanks!

Thanks, I'll check it out. One thing about DS3 that sounds cool as fuck if true is that Soul of Cinder is the player character from DS1. I want to read up on that.

I mean, yeah, kinda. The Souls of Cinder is the manifestation of all people who linked the flame before you. The fact that it uses movesets of some regular weapons like the scimitar might imply just that. Though Gwyn's is probably the strongest since the second phase is basically a rematch against him, complete with his theme.

Seyavesh

it's more like... conceptually the soul of cinder is all the player characters from ds1/'everyone who has ever linked the fire across the multiverses' or whatever, which is why it embodies the three 'mainline' builds of STR focus, DEX focus and INT focus from DS1 in it's moveset + gwyn

it has the gold tracer moveset, straight sword moveset, endgame sorcerery moveset.... probably more i'm missing but you get the idea. it even heals up with ds1 style heal anim vs. ds3's, haha

also thing i noticed running back to beat up dancer in my 2nd playthrough is the 'pilgrim butterflies' or whatever and pilgrims connection. the path to the cathedral/lothric castle is lined with pilgrims and there's a certain thing creeping out from under their shell that sure invokes the wiry stuff that pilgrim butterflies are made out of

Small detail but running back through the cathedral of the deep - all the statues have their eyes covered. Many via their hand but others by hoods and masks.

I wonder why.

konjak

What does it matter if Nito was eaten or was an inspiration, jesus christ. Is this fantasy world with reincarnation and magic worth 100% accuracy and arguments when the result is the same?

I'm hoping a DLC is going into that giant tree's memory, because I'm one of those that played way more DS2 and had more fun there.

Seyavesh

Small detail but running back through the cathedral of the deep - all the statues have their eyes covered. Many via their hand but others by hoods and masks.

I wonder why.

i would imagine it has something to do with how rosaria's eyes are covered? that a ton of statues are covered by red cloth is real weird too- even two statues at the entrance of her room are covered over. like the cathedral originally wasn't for aldritch and he just jacked it as a resting place

also looking there, i noticed that the entrance to rosaria's place is actually a cell that's been broken into from the outside. and that the wall is full of organic stuff that is coming from the worm dudes who are stapled on there. i guess it's really obvious but i'm not very attentive to the environment, haha

and that rosaria's chamber is filled with cradles, including ones hanging from the ceiling. weird.

also these statues depicting a guy turning into the worm creatures?? weird thing to make a statue of, but the rest of the uncovered statues are of some ladies with their faces covered having some something burst out of their back like the worm guys so ???

Raist

Banned
Pick a side, dude.

Yes, the dress looks like Nito's "overcoat". Just like the torso looks like Gwendolyn's hair, crown and gown. However, the game has explicitly said that Aldrich devoured Gwyndolin. I don't know what argument you're trying to make here. The thing we're trying to stop is simple similarities (Which yes there are plenty for the last time) becoming utter fabrications 'cause it's a damn thin line.

What side? Aldrich has elements of both Gwyndolin and Nito. The upper body of the former, and several elements of the latter. The mask/crown is reminiscent of Gwyndolin's (covering the face, and the "spikes") but also very different (different number of spikes, front bit looks like a skull).

So I don't see why From would bother putting so many elements reminiscent of Nito into this design if there was no reason at all behind it. The only argument against it is that there's no item mentioning the possibility that Aldrich devoured Nito too. But it'd be like arguing that the statues in Lothric castle are no a great serpent because serpents in DS1 didn't have angel wings, and there's no item that directly mentions that these statues are indeed of some great serpent.

And the whole "but the chosen undead killed Nito in DS1" well, in a game where there's so many references to parallel worlds, and where the final boss soul's is literally a mix of previous gods/lords/previous players souls, I don't see why it would be so impossible. If all these souls have been used to fuel the fire, why are they back?

Cruxist

Oh man. I was frustrated that enemy placement/design didn't really fit with lore interpretations like the previous games, and I'm kind of sad to see how much of this thread is taken up by that.

Has anyone killed the retired fire keeper at the intended graves? I'd be curious about her drop.

Top Bottom