• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 Story and Lore Discussion [Unmarked Spoilers]

Talking of cathedral of the deep (its really interesting me as a location)

Anyone know what this is supposed to represent?

1532e4d085.jpg

It's all over the place there

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
like the cathedral originally wasn't for aldritch and he just jacked it as a resting place.

I think that's true. Hawkwood tells us about it. Paraphrasing here: Aldrich started as a right and proper cleric, then he developed a habit of devouring men. Then they stuck him in the Cathedral of the Deep and made him a Lord. Not for virtue, but for might.

So it looks like Rosaria was imprisoned but someone wanted to break her out. That's all I've got though.

Has anyone killed the retired fire keeper at the intended graves? I'd be curious about her drop.

She just drops the Priestess ring, not sure if there's anything else to that, she sells it too. Maybe she was a former High Priestess? Also I'm not sure the Handmaiden is a retired Firekeeper. Firekeepers tend to be "retired" to the bell tower.

I think that's true. Hawkwood tells us about it. Paraphrasing here: Aldrich started as a right and proper cleric, then he developed a habit of devouring men. Then they stuck him in the Cathedral of the Deep and made him a Lord. Not for virtue, but for might.

MMmmMMMmm current thoughts.

So if untended graves is the deep/abyss, a place which gwynvere tends too and Rosario is the original leader of the CoD (be she gwynvere or close relation) .

I wonder if the deep is closely related to rebirth? Rosario is the mother of rebirth, and untended graves is literally bringing the dead alive.

We also see those weird angel gargoyles in CoD and the original lothric teleport location.

Other thoughts ash estus flask is made of crystal, hidden blessing has a close relation to it, so i think the location you find it in is no mistake, since the consumed king and gwynvere where both using this place.

Cruxist

She just drops the Priestess ring, not sure if there's anything else to that, she sells it too. Maybe she was a former High Priestess? Also I'm not sure the Handmaiden is a retired Firekeeper. Firekeepers tend to be "retired" to the bell tower.

Boring. I just called her that because she looks like the DS2 old ladies at the beginning, and they were all retired fire keepers, right?

Talking about the deep!

I've been digging around irythill and cathedral of the deep and i'm starting to get the feeling that pontiff has more to do with this than aldritch or the others.

The pontiff knights wield these swords:

and one of the deep spells:

Seems to me their swords were decayed by the insects of the deep.

In addition on one of pontiffs swords:

it's dark blue hues, darker than the darkest moon, reflect sorcerer sulyvhans true nature.

interesting - he is referred to as sorcerer, not pontiff and it alludes to him being behind things, and his "true nature"

I feel like pontiff is a very important character, possibly even the one who brought the deep into lothric, maybe even corrupting aldritch.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Sulyvahn's got his fingers in a lot of pies in this game. He sends his outriders to Lothric, including the Dancer (who I believe is a daughter of Gwynevere - she is at least descended from Gwyn's line). He tries to prevent us from leaving Lothric by way of Vordt. He imprisoned Gwyndolin for Aldrich to munch on and stuck Yorshka in a tower.

I highly recommend anyone to read these posts from Reddit btw: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4e9j66/lets_talk_lore_compendium/

Would be great if these could be added to OP. They're great starting points.

Kamina

Golden Boy
The three firelink shrines and this timetravel feeling really make me break my head.

What I could conclude so far:
- Untended graves firelink shrine is in the same worldspace as the rest of the areas, missing a coilded sword, which is in a bowl at the top of the High Wall of Lothric
- Firelink Shrine seems detached of the world, with a coilded sword missing and sheathed into Gundyr
- Then we have the flameless shrine, with a bonfire active in a destroyed world

To me it seems as if the regular worldspace is set in the presence, where the flame is almost fading, untended graves seems like an abyss.
The firelink shrine is set in the past
Flameless shrine is the future where the flame is already nearly gone

What do you guys think?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Firelink shrine Hub is definitely after Untended Graves shrine, time-wise. You can tell by Gundyr. I just read the post on Reddit it's covered in which sources the relevant descriptions. https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4e99hj/lets_talk_lore_8_spoilers/

Good catch on making a connection between the coiled sword at the start of Lothric High Wall and the fragment in UG shrine though. I don't think there's any reason to assume UG Shrine is separate from the rest of the world. Makes much more sense to assume that Hub Shrine is, due to the timeline discrepancy and the fact that the sky stays the same there, no darksign sun. I mean, I use "sense" loosely here, mind you.

UG Shrine / Abyss connections... tempting. Artorias; armor, perpetual dark... but other than that there isn't anything to go on. No black goop monsters, no humanity, a bunch of black knights... I don't think so, personally.

So timeline: Untended Graves Shrine and rest of the game > Firelink Shrine Hub > Futurelink / Kiln of the First Flame.

Don't ask me how or why but that's the only thing that even remotely makes sense.

Auctopus

Good find tasmaster92 on the insects. I saw that spell today but hadn't noticed the connection with the sword!

Yeah Sulyvahn's got his fingers in a lot of pies in this game. He sends his outriders to Lothric, including the Dancer (who I believe is a daughter of Gwynevere - she is at least descended from Gwyn's line). He tries to prevent us from leaving Lothric by way of Vordt. He imprisoned Gwyndolin for Aldrich to munch on and stuck Yorshka in a tower.

I highly recommend anyone to read these posts from Reddit btw: https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4e9j66/lets_talk_lore_compendium/

Would be great if these could be added to OP. They're great starting points.

Iamnotthereorthere's posts are so thorough, they're great.

I notice the only people trying to link significant moments from Dark Souls 2 are people whose first Souls game was DS2.

I was thinking about what exactly the Deep is and how it's different than the Abyss and I think it all lies in its relation to oceans and the moon. The moon controls the tide, and thus the reach the ocean has on land. Thinking about it this way, it makes perfect sense that Pontiff Sulyvahn is responsible for Gwyndolins death and giving his powers to Aldritch. Other people have pointed out how it seems that Aldritch hasn't yet finished feeding off Gwyndolin, again this makes perfect sense if the power of moon is what keeps the Deep in check. If we didn't reach Aldritch in time, it's possible the Deep would have taken over everything. So I think the parallel here is that the sun keeps the Dark in check so Gwyn was responsible for holding back the Abyss and thus sacrificed himself to link the fire. And the Moon keeps the Deep in check, but Gwyndolon was consumed instead,

Mannn i've said this before, but there is something fucking up with the teleporting NPC's ,watching ENBs video and noticed pryo guy literally teleports to the future whilst trapped in a cage!

Auctopus

there's an annoying 'bug' with fast moving enemies where you land a backstab on them and they move away whilst you're still stuck in the backstab animation causing no damage.

Tactics18

I'm thinking that one of the DLCs will touch upon the Sable Church of Londor and Yuria's sisters.

On an unrelated note, by the last couple of episodes I have a feeling that ENB is not going to like this game.
The worst "references" are still to come (Seigward, Karla, Anor Londo and Storm Ruler mainly).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about what exactly the Deep is and how it's different than the Abyss and I think it all lies in its relation to oceans and the moon. The moon controls the tide, and thus the reach the ocean has on land. Thinking about it this way, it makes perfect sense that Pontiff Sulyvahn is responsible for Gwyndolins death and giving his powers to Aldritch. Other people have pointed out how it seems that Aldritch hasn't yet finished feeding off Gwyndolin, again this makes perfect sense if the power of moon is what keeps the Deep in check. If we didn't reach Aldritch in time, it's possible the Deep would have taken over everything. So I think the parallel here is that the sun keeps the Dark in check so Gwyn was responsible for holding back the Abyss and thus sacrificed himself to link the fire. And the Moon keeps the Deep in check, but Gwyndolon was consumed instead,

Interesting connection. I definitely think the Abyss and Deep are separate things. From is so careful with how specific words are used - see again the uses of "heavenly children" linking all the descriptions of the Queen's (Gwynevere's, I think) children, it makes no sense to me they'd muddy the waters needlessly by using different terms for the same thing. Also, the Abyss Watchers would be at war with the Cathedral of the Deep if it was Abyss-related, and it's clearly been there for a while, no evidence suggesting that they've interacted much. For Aldrich to have the strength to face the coming age of the deep sea / deep waters, consuming the lunar powers of Gwyndolin makes sense. I also really like Iamnotthereorthere's idea that Sulyvahn is trying to prevent the linking of the flame, hence him blocking off exit and entry to Lothric.

I beat the game yesterday an got the "extinguish the flame" ending (or whatever it is called). I've read many comments about that ending being disappointing and pointless too so I was expecting it to be underwhelming but it wasn't: at the end the fire keeper says that she senses tiny embers that one day will light a fire; naturally many people assumed that even if we let the first flame die it will eventually reignite itself so that ending seems pointless, but my interpretation is that those tiny flames will replace the first flame. The world won't need to rely in the first flame and 4 powerful beings that rule all, instead those tiny flames will sustain the world together, and that's a good thing.

This trope is so anime-like it reminds me of the plot of Magic Knight Rayearth:
in MKR the world depends on an individual and when that individual loses her will, she will summon people from our world to free her for her duty (kill her), at the end while searching for a new pilar to sustain the world, they make all the inhabitants of that world share the responsibility to sustain the world instead of leaving the fate of that whole dimension to one person, pretty much what I think it happens in this ending.

The darkness the world of Dark Souls is now will be over once the humans and the other beings light those tiny flames that lie within them. It's a perfect ending for the series.

It seems to me like the abyss is something that simply exists whilst the deep was "made".

They are very similar though, makes me wonder if it was someone attempting to create a new abyss or such

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Here's another interesting tidbit. Sacred Oath: "This is the tale of the Sun's firstborn, his faithful first knight, and the brave dragonslayer who served them both."

The Sun's firstborn we now know is Nameless King. His faithful fist knight we can assume is Ornstein, since Dark Souls 3 confirms that Smough was "the last knight to stand in defense of the ruined cathedral" (Smough set) and we find Ornstein's spear and armor in Archdragon Peak, which states that he "left the land in search of ther nameless king." Also the Leo Ring states it outright: "Ornstein was the first knight of the sun's eldest born."

Who, then, is the "brave dragonslayer who served them both"? I don't know definitively. I think it may be Havel. Remember back to Dark Souls 1, we find Havel's things behind a hidden wall in Anor Londo along with an occult club, suggesting a plot against the Gods. Havel hated Seath, and may have turned on Gwyn to side with his firstborn along with Ornstein. And of course we find a Havel-wearing dude standing over a dragon's corpse in Archdragon Peak. Thoughts?

I assume it was hawkeye Gough. He was leader of the Dragon slayers and one of the four Knights that served Gwyn.

Interesting connection. I definitely think the Abyss and Deep are separate things. From is so careful with how specific words are used - see again the uses of "heavenly children" linking all the descriptions of the Queen's (Gwynevere's, I think) children, it makes no sense to me they'd muddy the waters needlessly by using different terms for the same thing. Also, the Abyss Watchers would be at war with the Cathedral of the Deep if it was Abyss-related, and it's clearly been there for a while, no evidence suggesting that they've interacted much. For Aldrich to have the strength to face the coming age of the deep sea / deep waters, consuming the lunar powers of Gwyndolin makes sense. I also really like Iamnotthereorthere's idea that Sulyvahn is trying to prevent the linking of the flame, hence him blocking off exit and entry to Lothric.

Yep. Thinking about it further, I realized that I don't think we ever had a name for what beings lived in before the Age of Fire. From what I know, it's only known as the Age of Ancients. In the intro of Dark Souls 1, when Fire came to being, it brought Light and Dark because Dark can't exist without Light. So perhaps the Abyss can't truly exist without some amount of fire. The cycle might be: The Deep, only creatures that ignore the normal concepts of life can exist, like dragons. Fire inexplicable comes into being, the Deep is gone, but the Abyss lies beneath. As the fire fades, the Abyss grows. Age of Dark comes to being when the fire becomes only embers. When the Embers turn to ash things return to the deep. Or I'm thinking about this way too much.

For now atleast we all agree the archer is not hawk, despite dropping hawks ring,its just dumb fucking fanservice right?

Like hes near Oolacile still, but should be long dead

Auctopus

On an unrelated note, by the last couple of episodes I have a feeling that ENB is not going to like this game.
The worst "references" are still to come (Seigward, Karla, Anor Londo and Storm Ruler mainly).

I don't think I'm going to watch the rest of his walkthrough until there's at least 10 episodes. The way he's progressing through the game is infuriating.

Spending a whole episode on the Firelink tower mainly because he was scared he couldn't drop down on to the roof? What on Earth was that about?

And yeah, the game has a bit too much fan-service at times but he needs to stop going "I don't think I'm gonna like where this is heading." every time something like that comes up. Dark Souls 2 tore up the DS1 lore and took a dump on it and he came out saying (at the time) that he might prefer it.

From the description of Gough's greatbow.

I stand corrected.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's Gough. "The dragonslayer who served them both" I don't see any evidence that Gough served NK. There's nothing about him in Archdragon Peak, the only item that references him is his ring, which I do believe is just fanservice, to have it drop from that random-ass giant. The title of Dragonslayer has been thrown around a fair bunch too, which makes it hard to discern (see also Dragonslayer Armor, Ornstein the Dragonslayer, etc).

Agreed that ENB's playthrough so far is... ehh. Not super entertaining. But I find his critical attitude refreshing, at least. I had many similar reactions to the blatant fanservice. First time I got to Anor Londo I was like... "oh". Not a big fan of that stuff personally. I like thematic allusions better, like the clear Boletaria references in the layouts of Lothric castle (the part with the 2 dragons, as well as the run up to the Princes, are very clearly evocative of the parts before Allant and Penetrator respectively). Those things get my imagination going, just revisiting Anor Londo actually just reinforces that suggestion is so much more powerful than directness, which is exactly why threads like this exist. The parts that are missing make the lore interesting.

But yeah I wish he'd stop playing this so... cowardly, I guess. So what if you get jumped by something, that's part of the fun. Live a little!

Seyavesh

So it looks like Rosaria was imprisoned but someone wanted to break her out. That's all I've got though.

my guess based on the statues is that the church was originally dedicated to rosaria- they fit the whole weird worm transformation all too well. that the resting place of aldritch/the deacon fight room is filled with imprisoned statues of the lady with some fleshy thing exploding out of her back is real weird but i think it fits rosaria.

there's also how general bug theme of her covenant's inhabitants + the bug theme of the spells taught in the cathedral kinda fit together?
like, none of aldritch's guys use any of the bug stuff- only the fat minister ladies in the undead settlement and the ones hiding outside + the one hiding on the same floor as rosaria.
the worm-infected guys/big wormy monsters are related to rosaria's dudes too- i didn't see it until this playthrough but the rosaria guys actually spew the worms at you/into you with a grab (i think?).
i guess there's also the thing where the worms and the insect spells cause bleeding but that's a stretch

edit:
oh! also the worm guys in irithyll dungeon! so it's like, aldritch's dudes jacked the church of the deep from rosaria's faithful which is why they're nailed all over the walls and hiding away. the people in the undead settlement follow that instead of aldritch's deal given that the fat minister ladies are all over that place.

...yeah, that's about all i got

KAOz

Short bus special
Was looking at the Winged Knights helmets in close-up.

Yup. It's a replica of a Serpent. No other character in the Souls series has a dumb grin with huge teeth. Just like the helmet.
And the whole set was adapted to look like the "angels".

That look combined with the statues makes me pretty sure that the serpents came in and manipulated things again.

Raist

Banned
I don't think I'm going to watch the rest of his walkthrough until there's at least 10 episodes. The way he's progressing through the game is infuriating.

Spending a whole episode on the Firelink tower mainly because he was scared he couldn't drop down on to the roof? What on Earth was that about?

And yeah, the game has a bit too much fan-service at times but he needs to stop going "I don't think I'm gonna like where this is heading." every time something like that comes up. Dark Souls 2 tore up the DS1 lore and took a dump on it and he came out saying (at the time) that he might prefer it.

It killed me when in the same episode he complained about references to DS1 yet was pissed off that he couldn't curl up in the crow's nest to be transported somewhere. And didn't even bother trying to trade items because it was "a mystery". Like, what?

Small interesting detail:

the dogs in boreal valley arent dogs, they are people.

Well yeah, both the Frost Knights and Vordt essentially move like dogs, and Vordt is literally called "the Hound".

konjak

So, things that I muse over and find most fascinating are the over-arcing theme of characters being unable to stand up straight (and Ludleth missing legs, to an extent), and also the idea that the multiple Firelinks is a more definite canonization of different player worlds starting to collapse on each other (there was some word about this game taking place where all worlds/lands meet when they were marketing the game).

I'd think that would be neat, and it would explain a bunch of firelinks well enough for me. Maybe people talked about it already here.

I also like the indication that Yoel and company are the man-serpents. Enemies clearly like them are serpents in rags later, and the item note that they descend from dragons would match their desire to go back to the time before humans found the flame? Maybe I got that wrong.

Zocano

Small interesting detail:

the dogs in boreal valley arent dogs, they are people.

Related to the lore of the area.

Irithyll is so much snow yharnam it hurts. Not even the aesthetic but the lore. Sulyvhan turning everyone and everything into beasts.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Firelink shrine Hub is definitely after Untended Graves shrine, time-wise. You can tell by Gundyr. I just read the post on Reddit it's covered in which sources the relevant descriptions. https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4e99hj/lets_talk_lore_8_spoilers/

Good catch on making a connection between the coiled sword at the start of Lothric High Wall and the fragment in UG shrine though. I don't think there's any reason to assume UG Shrine is separate from the rest of the world. Makes much more sense to assume that Hub Shrine is, due to the timeline discrepancy and the fact that the sky stays the same there, no darksign sun. I mean, I use "sense" loosely here, mind you.

UG Shrine / Abyss connections... tempting. Artorias; armor, perpetual dark... but other than that there isn't anything to go on. No black goop monsters, no humanity, a bunch of black knights... I don't think so, personally.

So timeline: Untended Graves Shrine and rest of the game > Firelink Shrine Hub > Futurelink / Kiln of the First Flame.

Don't ask me how or why but that's the only thing that even remotely makes sense.
Thanks for your reply, yes what you say makes sense.
It is just weird that we have the coiled sword lying around at the High Wall. Who took it and sheathed it into Gundyr?

"Oh he can level us up. Hmmm not gonna do it."

ENB please.
He smelled that this is the dark path.
I didn't do it either, not intersted in followind Kaathe's cult.

Fhtagn

there's an annoying 'bug' with fast moving enemies where you land a backstab on them and they move away whilst you're still stuck in the backstab animation causing no damage.

That's not a bug, there's two states: land a full backstab, start a backstab while they are in position but they move away; you can still hit them for regular damage in the latter case, I did it a lot with the long sword.

Same applies in pvp. You can roll out of backstabs now instead of them being instant.

Related to the lore of the area.

Irithyll is so much snow yharnam it hurts. Not even the aesthetic but the lore. Sulyvhan turning everyone and everything into beasts.

and the reference to deep sea....

Honestly there's enough connection to demon souls and bloodbornes, you either let everything be cannon or get pissed off at the fan service

Zocano

and the reference to deep sea....

Honestly there's enough connection to demon souls and bloodbornes, you either let everything be cannon or get pissed off at the fan service

Yah Aldritch's visions of the future and the sea just feels like a slight hint that Bloodborne is just in the same universe technically but super far in the future

Thanks for your reply, yes what you say makes sense.
It is just weird that we have the coiled sword lying around at the High Wall. Who took it and sheathed it into Gundyr?

My rambling thoughts from the other night on this
So theory;
- Firekeeper was @ untended graves firelink in the pass, where the abyss curse originates from
- She escapes taking the Coiled sword with here, therefore breaking it and leaving behind the coiled sword fragment
- She makes her way to top of the high wall, where the player first gets to lothric, she spreads the curse to those she meets along the way
- Places the partly broken coiled sword into the lord vessel and teleports to firelink shrine in the future/other world/next cycle?
- When the player character teleports back the abyss goo hasn't spread much because its only just happened

Right now i basically think firekeeper escapes with the coiled sword, she carrys the abyss curse and infects others on way to the top of the highwall. Thats why you only see the abyss creatures on the way to the high wall, she puts the coiled sword in the kiln and teleports to the "future" firelink and impales ludex gundyr with the sword and infecting him with the abyss goop.

This is of course just a theory with little evidence currently
- Broken sword fragment, and the broken coiled sword in the teleport kiln
- Firekeeper escaped the abyss
- Physical locations of the abyss enemies

Raist

Banned
He smelled that this is the dark path.
I didn't do it either, not intersted in followind Kaathe's cult.

You're only trying to merely delay the inevitable. Usurpation of the flame is the One True Ending. Come to the dark side.

edit: I meant Lord of Hollows. Heh.

Seyavesh

You're only trying to merely delay the inevitable. Usurpation of the flame is the One True Ending. Come to the dark side.

sunlight warrior/bluecop goody two shoes forever
the guilty pay the price etc. (except they don't because they took out that message...)

id like to note that i love that the stupid statue for the sunlight altar from the first game with the silly sword spear turned out to be the basis of design for the nameless king's dumb looking weapon

seriously that thing is so, so silly

konjak

I thought the game made a very distinct point that fire keepers are numerous and disposable, and that yours is nothing special. She even says to kill her in order to restore her.

Where are the theories of her being some source of everything coming from?

JerkShep

Billed Mask:

"Attire of the three mentors of the Sable Church of Londor, this billed mask belongs to Yuria, the second eldest.These maidens of a Primordial Serpent were renowned as founders of the Sable Church, which offered salvation for Hollows"

So I tried killing Yuria and still go with the Usurper ending and there are still two maidens kneeling in front of you. Maybe FROM didn't consider the possibility, but I think we are seeing the other two founders of the Sable Church there. Anri seems to be there as well.

I think a Londor DLC is a given, with th other maybe focusing on this "angelic cult" that it's introduced with Gertrude but never really expanded upon.

Raist

Banned
Mannn i've said this before, but there is something fucking up with the teleporting NPC's ,watching ENBs video and noticed pryo guy literally teleports to the future whilst trapped in a cage!

Well they can obviously only do so when you accept their services.
I don't think they teleport themselves, they're being summoned.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So whats the deal with Wolnir?

There is no time travel. You guys can stop with that silly idea. There are two Firelinks the same way there are two Hunter's Workshops.

Just for what it's worth, here's a Dark Souls 3 interview I did with Miyazaki a little over a month ago where he flat-out says DS3's timeline isn't as simple and linear as A-to-B. I don't touch on much lore stuff in the interview because it was for a broader and more general audience, but, yeah:

“It’s very difficult to explain via translator,” he says, his translator nodding along and laughing exasperatedly. “But even in terms of the perspective of time and when things take place, there’s a lot of vagueness.”
http://www.vg247.com/2016/03/02/dark-souls-3-miyazaki-bloodborne-interview/

This was said in direct answer to me asking if Dark Souls 3 had some sort of time travel or time-bending going on based on some theories I'd concocted from previous presentations/hands-on sessions/trailers/etc. Not in the article is him prefacing that answer by saying he couldn't answer too specifically because of spoilers. He also says in this interview he does have an absolute vision/canon in his head but will never reveal it, but the point is there certainly is a 'right' way for all this to be put together and it's not just vague for the sake of it.

Raist

Banned
Just for what it's worth, here's a Dark Souls 3 interview I did with Miyazaki a little over a month ago where he flat-out says DS3's timeline isn't as simple and linear as A-to-B. I don't touch on much lore stuff in the interview because it was for a broader and more general audience, but, yeah:

This was said in direct answer to me asking if Dark Souls 3 had some sort of time travel or time-bending going on based on some theories I'd concocted from previous presentations/hands-on sessions/trailers/etc. Not in the article is him prefacing that answer by saying he couldn't answer too specifically because of spoilers. He also says in this interview he does have an absolute vision/canon in his head but will never reveal it, but the point is there certainly is a 'right' way for all this to be put together and it's not just vague for the sake of it.

I guess it's hard to find R'lyehian translators.

They also said Dark Souls 2 didn't take place where Dark Souls 1 took place & that the locate was the most important starting item. You trust what is in the game, no what is said in pre-release. You must be new to Souls Lore.

Also this game's story & lore sucks.

Kamina

Golden Boy
My rambling thoughts from the other night on this

Right now i basically think firekeeper escapes with the coiled sword, she carrys the abyss curse and infects others on way to the top of the highwall. Thats why you only see the abyss creatures on the way to the high wall, she puts the coiled sword in the kiln and teleports to the "future" firelink and impales ludex gundyr with the sword and infecting him with the abyss goop.

This is of course just a theory with little evidence currently
- Broken sword fragment, and the broken coiled sword in the teleport kiln
- Firekeeper escaped the abyss
- Physical locations of the abyss enemies
I've read your post before and it inspired me to go into that speculation too. Do you think thus firekeeper is a different entity than the one tending to the flame in the shrine? The soul we find in the tower?

If you think carefully you will seethat there will always be flame somehow. I dont think either age can stay forever.

Top Bottom