• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls GFWL to Steamworks Migration is now live.

Elija2

There's an issue with some cards (especially AMD iirc) in that the game only uses a small percentage of the GPU resulting in frequent and nasty fps drops.
The solution is to simply enable the FPS unlocker in DSfix and set it to 30/60. You can also try forcing anti-aliasing through your GPU control panel.

Alternatively, there's also this http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2902805 which I haven't tried.

Yeah, I have an AMD APU. Wasn't expecting it to run great but I was hoping to at least get 30fps even at a lower resolution. I do have the fps unlocked already but that hasn't helped much.

Well on my laptop I use it to decrease the horizontal resolution so it improves performance with my normal PC downsampling from a higher resolution. I have it running at about 800x720 on my laptop since it crashes if you lower the vertical resolution further than 720 for some reason.

I lowered my resolution but it didn't seem to affect the framerate.

molnizzle

Ok, haven't played in several months and now I of course can't sign in to GFWL.

I've changed the email address on my Live account since then. I tried deleting the old profile and "downloading" it again with my new email, but nothing. Can't connect either in-game or in GFWL client thing.

God fucking damn this shit.

It has nothing to do with self control when you see a bunch of signs in front of a wall that looks like a dead end (surprise, it's an invisible wall), or when you are scratching your head to find a path and there are messages off in the corner where you can drop down. And on and on. You don't need to read them to understand it's pointing something specific out in a certain location.

Well actually most messages pointing out illusory walls are actually just trolling you.

Anyways I see what you're saying but personally I don't think its that big a deal. To complain about this sort of thing is seriously reaching for something to complain about.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Well actually most messages pointing out illusory walls are actually just trolling you.

Anyways I see what you're saying but personally I don't think its that big a deal. To complain about this sort of thing is seriously reaching for something to complain about.

I wonder if it's a cultural thing. If you're playing this on a PS3 in Japan is it also all messages telling you to fall off a cliff or praise the sun?

I noticed the game is seemingly running more slowly for me today. I had to drop back to 1080 to get 60 fps. I was getting in the 50s at 4k I could have sworn. Now it's stuck at like 30.

What are you even talking about? It's not like I'm trashing the game when I'm in fact enjoying it, I mentioned one easy thing a person can do if they dont want to (or can't) have the online functions going, as in he already tried blocking access to the exe with a firewall. Pointing out my preference of no messages is hardly complaining.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

He's not complaining though. In fact he's doing quite the opposite, instead of complaining about something he made sure his problem goes away by playing offline. That's getting shit done :p.

Just because you prefer to play one way or the other doesn't mean you're reaching for something to complain about. This post kind of reeks of "You're playing the game wrong, stop doing that".

Anyone else having a less smooth experience with 60fps in this version than it was in the GFWL one ?

It feels like there's always this microstutter like you are constantly arriving at a checkpoint in other games. Fraps shows that the framerate goes from 60 to 55 but the effect is actually much more noticeable than a 5fps drop. There is also a bigger stutter or more like my game completely freezes for a full second then it comes back, I thought my game crashed the first time it happened and it happened to me 4-5 times so far.

Differences in my setup/settings this time is that I went from W7 to W8.1 and I'm downsampling from 1440p to 1080p (originally I was only at 1080) the rest is the same (forcing 4xMSAA + 16xAF through the Nvidia inspector, no AO)

I bought this through Steam when it first came out but since switching from GFWL to Steamworks it gave me a CD key. Does this mean that I have a free extra key for the game or is it technically the same one that I already have installed?

ArjanN

That's the way you see it and I'll respect it, but if somebody doesn't want to know where something is until they get a chance to search and then maybe look it up later, then playing offline is perfect for that. I happen to disagree that finding the correct path or secret depends on others doing a virtual, "oh oh, look, right here!" How is a secret a secret if it's pointed out to you right away?

Anyway, all I did was point out playing offline avoids that and the self control comment came across needlessly sarcastic.

Well, I felt this is kind of offset by fake messages, and there not being a message 100% of the time anyway. I feel the messages add to the whole community discovery / deliberate obfuscation element the DS games have. I guess sometimes they might be a bit much, especially now the game has basically been figured out completely.

He's not complaining though. In fact he's doing quite the opposite, instead of complaining about something he made sure his problem goes away by playing offline. That's getting shit done :p.

Just because you prefer to play one way or the other doesn't mean you're reaching for something to complain about. This post kind of reeks of "You're playing the game wrong, stop doing that".

He was complaining about the game mechanic of community messages ruining the game, despite what spin you feel to put on it.

Him saying "Pointing out every secret path, or the way to progress on a level ruins the exploration," is a complaint. He sought out to circumvent it to enjoy the game the way he wants to enjoy it and that's fine. I was simply suggesting a way to get around his problem without having to change an integral part of Dark Souls. I mean seriously, the online component is dead enough as it is.

He was complaining about the game mechanic of community messages ruining the game, despite what spin you feel to put on it.

Him saying "Pointing out every secret path, or the way to progress on a level ruins the exploration," is a complaint. He sought out to circumvent it to enjoy the game the way he wants to enjoy it and that's fine. I was simply suggesting a way to get around his problem without having to change an integral part of Dark Souls. I mean seriously, the online component is dead enough as it is.

Context and opinion, look them up please. I said it a few times...this is my first time playing...it ruins certain things for me if left on right now, and I commented to a person in the same situation as myself, before you jumped in with your comment about self control. And I also pointed out how your suggestion flat out doesn't work, since you still see them, even if you don't read them.

I like how offline mode removes the messages that are all over. Pointing out every secret path, or the way to progress on a level ruins the exploration.

Man, look out Angry Joe Show. I'm just raging right there, son! :D OK, OK, I'll stop, this has to be annoying for people to have to scroll past.

The self control comment wasn't intended as an insult, if that's how you took it. Was simply a fact, like if you cannot resist clicking on a spoiler tag. Basically its the same thing.

Also, no they don't still give anything away if you see them but don't read them, because not all messages are intended to tell you what's in front of you geographically... and some are simply troll messages anyways.

But yeah, you're new to this game. After a while you may understand their worth.

Just redownloaded the game (so no DSFix or anything installed) to transfer my stuff over but I can't get into GFWL. The game launches in offline mode and the Live button in the main menu doesn't do anything. Tried manually installing GFWL, same thing. Not sure what to do.

Edit: Jumped through all the hoops here and finally got it working. This has been an excellent reminder of why GFWL frigging blew.

Perona

So has anyone else had the issue I have with the "xlive protection disabler" error causing the game to crash? I have no idea what to do to fix it.

Asking for some quick help...

Using the DSFix2.3 here and the game crashes after first cut scene. Have frame rate unlocked in the .ini file and forced VSYNC in NVIDIA control panel.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, is the whole process complete now?

Game title on the list still has that ugly [-dsptde-2.0-] thing.

No. Beta is until February when they'll drop the -dsptde-2.0- branch and it becomes the ONLY one. Right now the GfWL->Steamworks hybrid mode is the main branch.

komorebi

Getting Kalmeet's tail is a pain in the ass.

Hands down the most frustrating thing to try and accomplish. Every time I've done it has been with the help of summoned bros. I can't do it solo. I tried like hell and could never do it with a melee character. Nothing beats that feeling of *finally* getting him to let his tail down and actually getting around him in time for a heavy two-handed slice or two, only for it to have no effect. The sword isn't even that great tbh, even fully maxed out. It looks badass but that's about it.

Ifrit

Tried the latest DS FIx but can`t get the game to work if I unlock the framerate, any help?

It used to work fine on the gfwl version

Quoting myself because I managed to fix it, I just followed this intructions:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/626329187110608517/

DSFix Issues? This Might Help.
Windows DEP might be causing an issue.

If you're having issues with the game crashing on startup with DSFix (specifically with the 60 fps unlock) try this:

Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings (on the left) -> Performance Settings -> Data Execution Prevention -> Turn On DEP for all except those I select -> Add DARKSOULS.exe

(default "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA\DARKSOULS.exe")

This fixed the FPS Unlock option in my system, if you still have problems, check the link it has some other useful information

misho8723

Banned
So after few months I log into GfWL (installed some updates), started Dark Souls (not from Steam) and all my saves are gone but the achievements are still there.. what the fuck! I was almost at the end of the game.. I'm not gonna play the whole game anytime soon again, so fuck this shit

bomer

Alright this is super fucked. I updated to the beta, game crashes as the menu loads in. I tried removing DSFIX but didn't' change anything. I get an "xlive.dll is misisng" error, but I tried all the fixes for that to no avail.

Removed the fix and now the game crashes as I load any save. I tried creating a new character and that worked, but then I quite and re-loaded it and it crashes every time.

Can't play with or without the patch. Fucking angry. Dark Souls is one of my favourite games and I've played it dozens of times. But this shit be broke. Haven't been able to play since that beta came out.

I've tried with fix on and off a bunch of times, re-installed windows live before and after patch, still can't play. Looked through the Steam forums and found nothing either :(

edit AHH! FUCKING FIXED IT!

I deleted the file 'XliveProtectDisabler.asi', which one would presume is not needed but would break the game if removed, everything works flawlessly. WHAT EVEN

teiresias

Is the HUD scaling known to stop working if you do downsampling via DSfix. I just decided to up the rendering resolution to 1440p and keep my display at 1080p and the HUD scaling seems to not work at all anymore no matter what I set the value to in the ini file.

Grief.exe

So after few months I log into GfWL (installed some updates), started Dark Souls (not from Steam) and all my saves are gone but the achievements are still there.. what the fuck! I was almost at the end of the game.. I'm not gonna play the whole game anytime soon again, so fuck this shit

You didn't use any kind of backup program? It was a well known issue that GFWL would consistently eat saves.

I was using game save manager, but DSFix also had a backup utility.

Sickbean

Is the HUD scaling known to stop working if you do downsampling via DSfix. I just decided to up the rendering resolution to 1440p and keep my display at 1080p and the HUD scaling seems to not work at all anymore no matter what I set the value to in the ini file.

So that's why the HUD mod isn't working.....

Shame, will have to stop downsampling if that's the case, need to save my Plasma from the HUD.

teiresias

So that's why the HUD mod isn't working.....

Shame, will have to stop downsampling if that's the case, need to save my Plasma from the HUD.

Yeah, I never played the GFWL version (I owned it but refused to deal with GFWL), so I don't know if it's always been that way or if this is a new bug introduced due to the Steamworks migration.

Farks!

I'm trying to do this thing but my damn game just keeps crashing on launch. I've tried reinstalling both the game and GFWL itself and everything inbetween, but it keeps crashing.

Anybody else? :/

Keinu

I have this weird issue when playing with my DS3 controller. Some sudden movements/dodges ends up changing my weapon/shield like I pressed the directional pad (which I didn't). I use XInput wrapper and it only happens in DS1 (no issue in DS2). Anybody else having the same problem?

Hypron

I'm trying to get the game to work in borderless full screen (with the latest versions) but for some reason when I deactivate the "fullscreen" option in game I can't choose window resolutions higher than 720p. Does anyone know how to fix this? Cheers!

I have this weird issue when playing with my DS3 controller. Some sudden movements/dodges ends up changing my weapon/shield like I pressed the directional pad (which I didn't). I use XInput wrapper and it only happens in DS1 (no issue in DS2). Anybody else having the same problem?

I actually did notice this exact problem happening to me last time I was playing the other day. I also use a DS3 controller with XInput wrapper. I honestly had no idea why it happened, and I couldn't successfully reproduce the issue.

hitgirl

Reinstalled Dark Souls to transfer over to steamworks but I can't seem to find my saves. Unless Dark Souls never had cloud support? Maybe when I uninstalled Dark Souls I wiped my saves?

edit - hmm never, reverted it back to the GFWL and my saves are there. Need to re-read the guide I guess.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I dont think they will fix it

Been nearly a month now, starting to think you may be right, which is a right shame.

Or they're all "Well we won't push the final release until Feb 16th so it can wait until then lol". Infuriating :(

AlterOdin

Does anybody know if your characters/profiles/avatars is stored in the steam cloud?

Reason I am asking is that GFWL did this, and I mistakenly thought DkS2 did this; which uses steamworks (lost all my characters:( ).

Okay so I finally found the time to attempt to try this and it didn't work at all o.o

Things I did:

- Update to DSFix 2.3.1
- Launched the GFWL Build to verify all my saves are there
- Exited the game properly
- Updated to the Beta Build
- Upon launching the Steam version I only can select "New Game"

Did I do something wrong? o.o

EDIT: I downgraded back to the GFWL version and my saves are back so the Steam-build is messing something up :/

SteveWD40

Installed this fresh today and it's still giving me lots of GFWL messages on launch, saying I can't save and that I am in offline mode...

wtf?

Top Bottom