• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls GFWL to Steamworks Migration is now live.

teiresias

I just redownloaded this since I never played it after picking it up due to GFWL, and installed the newest DSfix. I'm sure this is elsewhere, but:

Ambien Occlusion worth the performance hit, if any?

I can't seem to get Vsync to work via driver settings with the fps unlock. Do I need to use the "not ready to use" DSfix setting instead?

Also, I keep reading about engine changes due to the fps unlock. How severe are these to the gameplay, and should I just stick to 30fps for my first playthrough due to them (and seeing as how I sucked majorly at Demon's Souls, anything glitches that make this game harder are probably not a good idea)? I'm not sure 30fps would bother me too much.

I just redownloaded this since I never played it after picking it up due to GFWL, and installed the newest DSfix. I'm sure this is elsewhere, but:

I can't seem to get Vsync to work via driver settings with the fps unlock. Do I need to use the "not ready to use" DSfix setting instead?

Also, I keep reading about engine changes due to the fps unlock. How severe are these to the gameplay, and should I just stick to 30fps for my first playthrough due to them (and seeing as how I sucked majorly at Demon's Souls, anything glitches that make this game harder are probably not a good idea)? I'm not sure 30fps would bother me too much.

Yes

Havel

The 60fps stuff is minor. If you slide down some specific ladders (VERY tiny amount), you will fall through the world. If that happens, just quit out and load again and you will be back at the ladder. You can toggle between 60 and 30 in-game by pressing backspace anyway.

AO is up to you, if it lowers it from 60 too much then maybe don't bother. It does look really good though.

For Vsync, try and force fullscreen in dsfix.ini.

Burt

I can't get this game to work at all.

I originally bought it like a year ago, but gave up because there was some sort of GFWL account issue and I couldn't log into my account or retrieve my password, because it was tied to an old AOL email that I hadn't used since like the original Xbox. So fuck that noise.

Now I redownload and install the game again, and it crashes every time I go into the PC options menu, or right after the brightness/preferences configuration to start the game. With or without the Steamworks integration beta on, crash crash crash crash.

I don't think I'll ever buy a From Software game again.

teiresias

The 60fps stuff is minor. If you slide down some specific ladders (VERY tiny amount), you will fall through the world. If that happens, just quit out and load again and you will be back at the ladder. You can toggle between 60 and 30 in-game by pressing backspace anyway.

AO is up to you, if it lowers it from 60 too much then maybe don't bother. It does look really good though.

For Vsync, try and force fullscreen in dsfix.ini.

You mean force borderless window? I see some in the thread recommending borderless window INSTEAD of vsync.

[EDIT] Awww, switching to borderless window does seem to let the vsync actually kick in.

Are you using any mods (dsfix, dscfix) or forcing vsync through your drivers or some 3rd party app? In over 400 hrs I've only had the game crash because I accidentally left d3doverrider on. I've also read about some people who've had crashing problems resolve them by turning off Data Execution Prevention for darksouls.exe.

I originally bought it like a year ago, but gave up because there was some sort of GFWL account issue and I couldn't log into my account or retrieve my password, because it was tied to an old AOL email that I hadn't used since like the original Xbox. So fuck that noise.

Now I redownload and install the game again, and it crashes every time I go into the PC options menu, or right after the brightness/preferences configuration to start the game. With or without the Steamworks integration beta on, crash crash crash crash.

I don't think I'll ever buy a From Software game again.

In-game anti-aliasing is set to ON by default, which causes a crash when combined with DSfix.

Not saying that's your issue, but maybe double check for that since that was tripping me up a couple of days ago.

Rip

I dont know what happened but I cant get DS to run anymore, ran fine before with GFWL. Started up on patch day and the game just goes to a black screen, reinstalled the game fresh still goes to a black screen.

Parsnip

I dont know what happened but I cant get DS to run anymore, ran fine before with GFWL. Started up on patch day and the game just goes to a black screen, reinstalled the game fresh still goes to a black screen.

Update dsfix, remove any other fixes haven't been updated?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
For some reason the mod stopped working. I have the latest version and it's in the correct place but the game is running in the hideous default resolution. I'm in the beta version atm. I can't play like this. 😭

Hey guys, I just integrated my GFWL copy with steamworks and I'm having trouble using my PS4 controller which I have connected through DS4windows. All of my face buttons are mapped strangely. They seem to have all "shifted" a spot on the gamepad. For example, X on the PS4 controller is now O and O is now Triangle, etc. Along with this, the right analog stick isn't working and causes the camera to rotate around my character and I'm unable to manipulate the camera at all. I'm thinking the Steamworks patch broke my game as I was able to use the DS4 controller before the Steamworks integration. I am using 2.3 patch of DSFix as well. Any ideas on what to do?

SRTtoZ

So how are summons low level (like if I start a new character?) Are new people playing now that its migrated over to steam etc?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hey guys, I just integrated my GFWL copy with steamworks and I'm having trouble using my PS4 controller which I have connected through DS4windows. All of my face buttons are mapped strangely. They seem to have all "shifted" a spot on the gamepad. For example, X on the PS4 controller is now O and O is now Triangle, etc. Along with this, the right analog stick isn't working and causes the camera to rotate around my character and I'm unable to manipulate the camera at all. I'm thinking the Steamworks patch broke my game as I was able to use the DS4 controller before the Steamworks integration. I am using 2.3 patch of DSFix as well. Any ideas on what to do?

Replug the controller, or set it up from scratch should fix it from what I've read

So how are summons low level (like if I start a new character?) Are new people playing now that its migrated over to steam etc?

Probably varies greatly depending on where you live due to the current region lock, but I've had decent luck being summoned in the US. I've done a bit of co-op at each boss, but sometimes it takes time. Like 5-10 minutes.

Elija2

I'm averaging a really low framerate in this game (20fps). I know this was a poor port, but does anyone have any tips that might improve performance?

FLD

Holy shit, it's kind of insane how much faster the game progresses when you know what the hell you're doing. It's my first time replaying the game fresh (as in, not NG+) and I''ve been careful to make every soul level count. Less than 10 hours in and I'm already at Sen's Fortress. Took me easily twice as long to get there the first time.

Hakkuei

I'm averaging a really low framerate in this game (20fps). I know this was a poor port, but does anyone have any tips that might improve performance?
There's an issue with some cards (especially AMD iirc) in that the game only uses a small percentage of the GPU resulting in frequent and nasty fps drops.
The solution is to simply enable the FPS unlocker in DSfix and set it to 30/60. You can also try forcing anti-aliasing through your GPU control panel.

Alternatively, there's also this http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2902805 which I haven't tried.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I am, but I don't think it's supposed to improve performance.

Well on my laptop I use it to decrease the horizontal resolution so it improves performance with my normal PC downsampling from a higher resolution. I have it running at about 800x720 on my laptop since it crashes if you lower the vertical resolution further than 720 for some reason.

Holy shit, it's kind of insane how much faster the game progresses when you know what the hell you're doing. It's my first time replaying the game fresh (as in, not NG+) and I''ve been careful to make every soul level count. Less than 10 hours in and I'm already at Sen's Fortress. Took me easily twice as long to get there the first time.

Yeah, once you know the ropes it's a very different game. Still challenging but once you know where everything is you kinda fly through it. Last time I played through it I think I had gone from the beginning to beating Smough & Ornstein in about 4 or 5 hours.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Anyone know how to block the v2 patch from online connectivity? My new character already got invaded once just after the red dragon appeared (greatbow user) and I'm sure I pissed off the player by closing the game. Sorry about that if you're reading, but my internet doesn't do well with online gaming (satellite). So I blocked the darksouls.exe in my firewall, but I'm still getting new messages on the ground....... I had it blocked before with the GFWL version, but it seems like the game connectivity is going through STEAM directly and I can't figure out how to block it without blocking Steam as a whole. :(

Soodanim

Gold Member
Watch a speed run some time. It's impressive stuff.

Parsnip

Anyone know how to block the v2 patch from online connectivity? My new character already got invaded once just after the red dragon appeared (greatbow user) and I'm sure I pissed off the player by closing the game. Sorry about that if you're reading, but my internet doesn't do well with online gaming (satellite). So I blocked the darksouls.exe in my firewall, but I'm still getting new messages on the ground....... I had it blocked before with the GFWL version, but it seems like the game connectivity is going through STEAM directly and I can't figure out how to block it without blocking Steam as a whole. :(

Just be hollow all the time and no invasions will happen, and you still get the benefit of ground markings, bloodstains and whatever. And when you need to kindle, just go human, kindle and jump off the nearest cliff to go hollow again. :p

komorebi

Just be hollow all the time and no invasions will happen, and you still get the benefit of ground markings, bloodstains and whatever. And when you need to kindle, just go human, kindle and jump off the nearest cliff to go hollow again. :p

Be advised though, if you do this you'll also miss out on NPC invasions that happen in certain areas and thus miss out on certain items they drop. You need to be human in these areas before snuffing the area boss for them to trigger.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
You can put steam in offline mode before launching the game rather than messing with firewall settings.

Wouldn't matter anyways, my firewall is set to block it, but I just got invaded again earlier today (and quit again). I think it was by the same person.... >.<

Wouldn't matter anyways, my firewall is set to block it, but I just got invaded again earlier today (and quit again). I think it was by the same person.... >.<

It does work, I experienced the same with blocking the exe. Steam in offline starts the game in offline...no messages, so summons, and no invasions.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'd recommend it too, but if his internet doesn't do well with online gaming, it's not going to be a great experience.

Actually, if you play Dark Souls 1 in offline mode, there are specific offline NPC invaders other than the usual ones like Maneater.

It's a trade between NPC invasions and player messages, I suppose.

I like how offline mode removes the messages that are all over. Pointing out every secret path, or the way to progress on a level ruins the exploration.

Could always choose to not read them, if you have a little self control.

It has nothing to do with self control when you see a bunch of signs in front of a wall that looks like a dead end (surprise, it's an invisible wall), or when you are scratching your head to find a path and there are messages off in the corner where you can drop down. And on and on. You don't need to read them to understand it's pointing something specific out in a certain location.

That's kind of the point?

A lot of the secret stuff was clearly designed around being discovered that way, not by one person hitting every inch of every wall by himself.

That's the way you see it and I'll respect it, but if somebody doesn't want to know where something is until they get a chance to search and then maybe look it up later, then playing offline is perfect for that. I happen to disagree that finding the correct path or secret depends on others doing a virtual, "oh oh, look, right here!" How is a secret a secret if it's pointed out to you right away?

Anyway, all I did was point out playing offline avoids that and the self control comment came across needlessly sarcastic.

Tain

I played a lot of the game slightly before release day back on my initial 360 playthrough and I did appreciate the lack of messages, honestly. I'd love an option to be online but have the messages disabled.

Top Bottom