• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II 12 minute gameplay video up [Update: 10 Minute Q&A Video]

Dantard

Neo Member
I wasn't counting but was that like 8 deaths in 12 minutes? I like that a preview for this game shows the player dieing again and again.

If you count one scripted death and the majority of other deaths because of player standing still waiting to die to "show the new ways to die". Sure 8 deaths in 12 minutes.

#TeamNegative (sorry guys, I wish my fears had been crushed like the fears of many here, but I'll wait and hope)

Zaventem

New lighting engine is very nice but texture work is nowhere near the quality of the previous games.

Need info on that character's stat build because it was taking a ton of hits and dealing out tons of damage compared to the enemies, which isn't as big a deal if it's revisiting an early area with high stats and late game armour/weapons but problematic if that was a level appropriate playthrough.

Also, need an explanation on why it looks like there are both bonfires and separate healing items.

You need an explanation why they have bonfires and healing items?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Dresden

Enemies in the vid seem about the same as before, but the player is notably faster, which goes along with the director's comment in the Q&A that he wanted combat to stay largely the same but to also be more reactive.

Eh, I guess they have time to tweak some stuff. I hope they don't shift the difficulty to gimmicky one-shot mechanics.

Dahbomb

Yeah this is indeed Dark Souls. Thank god for no dumbing down for the casuals. Get one shotted son!

Day 1. Going into media blackout mode now.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ibaq1LRuz8Bq3f.gif

Scene with the bridge and the dragons looks gorgeous. Also, I like how enemies will bust through walls and doors and such.

NOWHERE IS SAFE

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Have no idea why some people are "relieved" to see that they were dying in this interview. They won't drop the whole "Prepare to Die"-market strategy.

Jac_Solar

Kinda early to call that. There are parallels to both of those in the previous games. The "Dragon comes to life and attacks you if you pick up the item right in front of it" is straight out of Dark Souls. Also, the very first boss in Dark Souls breaks through a wall to attack you regardless of what you do; this enemy, which only attacks if provoked, is actually a step away from that.

Yeah, this is the sort of stuff that I'd usually be wary about, but since they chose to highlight these things in that manner, it seems like they don't want to go with cutscens or QTE's. Events are miles better than QTE's or cutscenes where the game either throws you some completely new, context-sensitive controls, or force you to watch a cutscene that the developers/game itself deems "interesting" and force you to pay attention to it because it's supposed to be awesome/interesting.

With events, you can just walk away or do whatever you want. Didn't DS have a lot of these types of deals? Why would anyone complain about the monster reacting? That's certainly not the equivalent of a cutscene, since it's a dynamic reaction to your gameplay, and needs to be somewhat dynamic to account for the environment (After it breaks out, that is.) and other mobs. Cutscenes are a separate thing, not a part of the game experience, and QTE's are sort of a mini-game. Both are detrimental to the immersion factor, and an absolute waste of resources. (And they appear to be quite expensive.)

Every single mob, NPC in a game is scripted, anyhow. Just because you need to antagonize one isn't a big deal - that was a part of DS and Demons Souls as well.

Lucent

I don't like how I can't hear the clank clank of the feet on the ground in the video. Hopefully that's just because it's drowned out or something. I liked hearing that in the games.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Scene with the bridge and the dragons looks gorgeous. Also, I like how enemies will bust through walls and doors and such.

NOWHERE IS SAFE

To be fair that particular scene was super scripted, and I doubt it would have busted through if he didn't shoot it in the eye.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If you count one scripted death and the majority of other deaths because of player standing still waiting to die to "show the new ways to die". Sure 8 deaths in 12 minutes.

#TeamNegative (sorry guys, I wish my fears had been crushed like the fears of many here, but I'll wait and hope)

Don't be down, it's a demo build. They said themselves that it wasn't finished. It'll be good. Trust in From. I'm not just positive, I'm #TeamHIVpositive.

This is how I feel right now.

Hahahaha!

I think the weapon changing is the most notable change since they said estus is still in. We see him move between the sword, the axe and the two handed u-greatsword without going into the menu.

KingKong

for the bridge, I think you're supposed to sprint back when you see the dragon, right? Wonder if bridge resets on death though, they say there's another way in but I don't see how unless its some kind of teleport

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think the weapon changing is the most notable change since they said estus is still in. We see him move between the sword, the axe and the two handed u-greatsword without going into the menu.

It wasn't actually talked about so it might just be a demo thing for easier showing.

VXLbeast

Yes, with 4 player local co-op and the ability to pause when you have to go weewee.

XD XD XD

I feel like the only person who misses Demon's Souls aesthetic. It was so dreary and lifeless and I loved it. Colors be damned, I want that feeling of venturing into 1-1 for the first time again.

You are not the only one by a long shot.

Takes ages to load. Not new gameplay but some new areas slightly shown off.

Alright, thanks. I'll let that tide me over until someone gets it up on youtube.

edit: There it is!

To be fair that particular scene was super scripted, and I doubt it would have busted through if he didn't shoot it in the eye.

They said as such in the interview that the monster probably wouldn't have busted through without the shot to the dome.

He also mentioned that other monsters would be doing some wall bustin', so hopefully there's other instances where its completely random and out of the blue.

Archpath1

but i thought that was possible already, just have it set up already and switch ingame

sixghost

for the bridge, I think you're supposed to sprint back when you see the dragon, right? Wonder if bridge resets on death though, they say there's another way in but I don't see how unless its some kind of teleport

It could be any number of things. Maybe you need to go get some item that repels the dragons, maybe you need to something similar to the Abyss DLC and shoot the dragons out of the sky, maybe you just need to time it right and sprint across.

Top Bottom