• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II 12 minute gameplay video up [Update: 10 Minute Q&A Video]

Pros:

This not being on PS4 means theres a chance that Miyazaki is working on Demons souls 2 for PS4......

Hm. Id love that, Sony has to get a piece of this pie exclusively. They missed the boat, but they still got some materials left over to cash in on an excellent series.

But too much of Souls can be very bad. It seems to be at its peak right now. PS4 exclusivity would be huge IMO, I'd definitely take just an upgraded DaSII port.

I'd like to see Demon's be more dungeon crawler, while Dark Souls be more open-worldish. But I cant imagine how they could creatively make those two different enough

What's Miyazaki doing now anyway?

Raide

Speaking of ENB... he must be creaming his pants right now.

Recently he said he was burned out with Souls and then went back to do a big Strength Weapon guide. :D

Really love hearing his lore stuff and I hope From/Namco get him involved from stuff later on down the line. Nobody else does it better than him.

Zeliard

One of my favorite things about the video was the torch mechanic, because that potentially means various Tomb of the Giants-esque areas naturally interspersed throughout the world in the form of dark caves, cellars, and such. :)

100% phys block with the torch, less than ideal, but hopefully they'll tweak that. Part of the point should be that you gain in visibility but lose in defensive and offensive versatility and power.

Don't the Four Kings spawn on a timer?

Yep. Great design, since it drives you to suddenly be aggressive in a game where most players are likely to play very defensively, especially if you don't have high DPS for that fight. The Four Kings fight tends to present a major obstacle to a lot of players due to that.

Sir, what method did you use to download the 12 minute stream? download the f4f files and then join them, or just a screen cap?

the non hd links are in the source code

iLnAb90wX65BR.png

for the hd verison just take the beginning of the other link and add 1280 to it "http://assets.ign.com/videos/zencoder/1280/" then search for 1280 in source code for this

iZhM375fBpeJ2.png

and then add whats in the data id to it "f8facedd42df03957cee28e69ea2c547-3000000-1365531458-w" and then .mp4

Code:
http://assets.ign.com/videos/zencoder/1280/f8facedd42df03957cee28e69ea2c547-3000000-1365531458-w.mp4

http://assets.ign.com/videos/zencoder/1280/f8facedd42df03957cee28e69ea2c547-3000000-1365531458-w.mp4

BraXzy

Not to sound like a graphics whore, but I wasn't exactly impressed.

I hope they were showing the xbox version because it doesn't look like much of an upgrade in a graphical sense.

They must be doing a higher res next gen version if it is coming out at the end of this year surely?

Yep. Great design, since it drives you to suddenly be aggressive in a game where most players are likely to play very defensively, especially if you don't have high DPS. The Four Kings fight tends to present a major obstacle to a lot of players due to that.

I found myself going hyper aggressive and not even paying attention to the music in that fight, but realizing as I was finishing off the last one a big part of my adrenaline for the fight came from the music.

Damn that was a good battle.

I hope they were showing the xbox version because it doesn't look like much of an upgrade in a graphical sense.

They must be doing a higher res next gen version if it is coming out at the end of this year surely?

It must have been. "Press B" to open the door was the message I saw.

Demon's Souls: That Broken Archstone Is Now Unbroken

Ah yes, the world of Giants.

You know, if they do a Demons Souls II, they could make it themed like that.

12 major bosses across 6 worlds, except they are Shadow-of-the-Colossus type or something.

I cant see how else they could differentiate Demon's from Dark Souls

Or perhaps people just need to deal with the fact that Demon's Souls is dead. I really want to know what Sony is officially doing with the IP though. I mean, they did help with making it, right? Surely they aren't happy just letting it be

SJRB

Gold Member
I wish the IGN interviewer asked about the possibility of a PS4 version being developed as well.

Seemed to me that entire interview was carefully orchestrated. I mean, he only touched the most basic of subjects. Nothing on multiplayer integration, covenants, humanity.

Which is understandable, of course. I just hoped the game would've been further into development. Not sure if it'll even come out in 2013.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The Q&A felt horribly staged. Why does the translator have to translate what the game director said but not the question that was asked? No wonder that guy looked bored as fuck.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I found myself going hyper aggressive and not even paying attention to the music in that fight, but realizing as I was finishing off the last one a big part of my adrenaline for the fight came from the music.

Damn that was a good battle.

It must have been. "Press B" to open the door was the message I saw.
Could be PC with a 360 controller.

I like when he said there will be parts with no enemies. Forcing the player to always be alert etc. .

And I hope for many, many surprises based on what what said.

No enemies? SURPRISE BITCH you just fell through a floor and now you have to fight the Asylum Demon again.

No enemies? Better watch out for that trap plate on the floor.

No enemies? Nope, they're just invisible. Better look at mirrors on a wall or dust on the floor!

Could be PC with a 360 controller.

Good point.

If Dark Souls 2 sells as good or better than the first game, Sony will most likely see an opportunity and jump in to the play with Demon's Souls 2. Who knows?

The Lamp

Oh my gosh the Q&A

They said they're not trying to tack on new features, they're trying to dig deep into the core roots of the game and try to emphasize it so new players can hop on the ride too.

Omg.

Fears assuaged. Keep going, From. You have my money if you keep it going!

i-Lo

Things that looked wonderful:

• Lighting- Received a true boost with real time shadowing showing a substantial improvement.
  • Levels- Especially the scale.
  • Clothing- Looks like it may have received an upgrade in terms of animation.

Things that surprised me:

• Skeletal dragon

Thing that IMO still requires improvement but won't receive it:

• Weapons clipping through the wall while not in combat mode.

Interesting titbit for anyone who has played DMC3:

• The portion showing the chariot that run the player over is named, "Silver Chariot" is reminiscent of DMC3's chariot enemy called "Geryon" who uses the the art of manipulating time, one which Dante receives for defeating it as a style known as "Quicksilver"

antitrop

If Dark Souls 2 sells as good or better than the first game, Sony will most likely see an opportunity and jump in to the play with Demon's Souls 2. Who knows?

I think everyone would be alright with this. I don't know about all the Sony business, but Demon's Souls 2 seems inevitable.

Raide

Not sure how they try and best an awesome game, since the majority of the extended Dark Souls community will be coming from Dark Souls 1 & 2. Not sure many will willingly buy another console for an exclusive. Also, I don't see From giving up all those extra $'s to do it.

Oh my gosh the Q&A

They said they're not trying to tack on new features, they're trying to dig deep into the core roots of the game and try to emphasize it so new players can hop on the ride too.

Omg.

Fears assuaged. Keep going, From. You have my money if you keep it going!

Always fear the flame, lest you be devoured by it, and lose yourself...

Zaventem

100% phys block with the torch, less than ideal, but hopefully they'll tweak that. Part of the point should be that you gain in visibility but lose in defensive and offensive versatility and power.

Yeah, 100% physical on a torch is stupid.. i can see why they would do it though but what would that even mean for small shields.

Environments look really cool but there isn't much of a graphical improvement and the frame-rate still seems pretty bad, let's hope it's better in the final game.

So there are still bonfires and estus flasks but there are also healing stones. Weird that they decided to include healing items now.

Not much seems to have changed regarding gameplay but dual wielding and lighting torches are nice touches.

Dragons were already prevalent in Dark Soul's lore, I was expecting something else to be the main theme but hey, dragons are awesome.

Can't wait to dive into this.

Edit:

Forgot to mention this. I agree, hope they nerf it.

Clevinger

Yeah, 100% physical on a torch is stupid.. i can see why they would do it though but what would that even mean for small shields.

I doubt it's final. Damage was all over the map. One enemy did pretty much no damage. Some enemies did one hit kills. etc.

Not sure how they try and best an awesome game, since the majority of the extended Dark Souls community will be coming from Dark Souls 1 & 2. Not sure many will willingly buy another console for an exclusive. Also, I don't see From giving up all those extra $'s to do it.

But Demon's is owned by Sony, no?

The question is, why hasn't Sony tried to find a developer to publish Demon's Souls II?
Probably because they can't find one, but it seems like they are leaving $ on the table

Things that looked wonderful:

• The portion showing the chariot that run the player over is named, "Silver Chariot" is reminiscent of DMC3's chariot enemy called "Geryon" who uses the the art of manipulating time, one which Dante receives for defeating it as a style known as "Quicksilver"

It's also named after the character Silver Chariot in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure...

As for the damage levels, I feel like I'm one of the few understanding the concept of alpha/demo footage. It's like when Starcraft 2 was first announced, the first time anyone saw it. At the following Q&A, you had all these uber-geek players asking: "We noticed that in your clip, at 4:55 the unit seemed to be doing 20% more damage than the equivalent unit in Starcraft, are you concerned that this will destroy the balance?" and Blizzard were basically "WTF are you on?"

Raide

But Demon's is owned by Sony, no?

The question is, why hasn't Sony tried to find a developer to publish Demon's Souls II?
Probably because they can't find one, but it seems like they are leaving $ on the table

They own the IP yes but I am not sure who else other than From that could do it justice without adding all the things people hate.

They are loosing a certain amount of $ on the table but I really wonder how much really. I guess it depends if they want to go Demon's 2 for PS3 or push it for Next-gen/

It would be cool if stronger enemies could break through walls at will but it's probably only in scripted events like the one shown in the demo.

Atilac

If I get the PC version is there a good alternative to motionjoy? I have a 360 gamepad but I want to use my wired ps3 controller.

Raide

It would be cool if stronger enemies could break through walls at will but it's probably only in scripted events like the one shown in the demo.

I am kinda hoping its a case of "Better run away from this monster and hide in this other room...Oh god the doors won't stop him!!"

Animator

OH MY GOD YYESSSSSSSS

Why isn't this out yet, it looks amazing. Please tell me its coming out same day as consoles on the PC.

Blinck

People saying there is very little graphical improvment are absolutely crazy and should go play Dark Souls again.

The light in DkS2 is much much better and a pretty drastical improvment. Almost everything was dynamic, there was SSAO etc... There is also much more movement in the whole environment in regards to particles and clothing.
I'm pretty sure this was PC footage as I can't believe this graphics quality can be pulled of on a PS360...at least not at a decent resolution and framerate.

As for the whole video...Looked pretty damn great. Some moments put a smile on my face as a Souls fan.

However...I felt like it was missing something. I can't say exactly what...but something felt a little off. The atmosphere at least in the areas they showed didn't seem so dark and heavy as in Dark Souls and much less so than in Demon's Souls.

I still wish Myiazaki was working on this, but it seems to be going in a good Souls game direction overall, and that's all we can really ask for!

EDIT: Everyone talking about the damn torch block: This is a demo footage ...it's obviously not final and it's like that just for test purposes, most likely.

bj00rn_

Banned
What a weird interview..

Looks very unpolished, but I guess that's natural since it's a long way from release.

As a someone who played DS for more than 200 hours between the Xbox version and the PC version and am about to finish NG+, I still have to say that for me the focus on "death" in this session is a bit..disappointing. That scripted bridge scene sums up a part of what I didn't like about DS; semi-random deaths and somewhat heavy trial and error gameplay (which some people for some odd reason denies exists in DS..). I get the accomplishment thing (obviously since I stuck with the game so long), but it has to make perfect logical sense every time, and it seems we're not going to be there yet with DS2 either. Just my personal opinion though.

Amir0x

Banned
holy fucking shit @ that dragon scene and the artistic direction of that whole location.

Still early and rough, but that is such a huge difference in scale...

i hope it's still as hard as hardcore can be

Zaventem

The only changes i've seen i don't like so far is the heavish lighting, looks gears of warish.

Things i noticed.The enemy was using a halberd differently than in Dark Souls 1 and actually attacking with the axe blade.Axes attack much faster like BKGA( well at least the one in the demo) Dual wielding seems viable,Ultra greatsword attack animation changed.. i though it was a greatsword at first but it's way to big.The straight sword has a poke at the end of the 3rd swing.

EasyMode

People saying there is very little graphical improvment are absolutely crazy and should go play Dark Souls again.

The light in DkS2 is much much better and a pretty drastical improvment. Almost everything was dynamic there was SSAO etc... There is also much more movement in the whole environment in regards to particles and clothing.

Agreed. This IS a big graphical leap over the previous game.

What a weird interview..

Looks very unpolished, but I guess that's natural since it's a long way from release.

As a someone who played DS for more than 200 hours between the Xbox version and the PC version and am about to finish NG+, I still have to say that for me the focus on "death" in this session is a bit..disappointing. That scripted bridge scene sums up a part of what I didn't like about DS; semi-random deaths and somewhat heavy trial and error gameplay (which some people for some odd reason denies exists in DS..). I get the accomplishment thing (obviously since I stuck with the game so long), but it has to make perfect logical sense every time, and it seems we're not going to be there yet with DS2 either. Just my personal opinion though.

At this point people should have learned to be wary of bridges with dragons lurking :p It was actually kind of predictable to me. I do get your point though.

Top Bottom