• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

Seanspeed

Banned
I just don't get it. I've played both, beaten the first. This is twice now that they've released performance disasters that were far from ready for prime time. They're completely silent about their progress, they mislead with bullshots almost to release day, and people are still just stoked to pay for it.

From Software should really stop dogfooding with their engine and just license a superior product.
They did not mislead with bullshots 'almost until release'. All the screenshots they released looked like garbage.

And this isn't a 'performance disaster'. It was just toned down for last-gen consoles and the PC version had to pay the price for that.

mnannola

So FROM made a version with great lighting with PC as lead platform, but then scrapped it because...why? If PC is lead, why would the lighting be changed so drastically? Is there any answer that is not "because platforms that were not the lead dictated what could be in the game?"

I know we will never get an answer to this, but it still pisses me off. I want the lighting version shown, and I have the horsepower to run it.

hiryu

Nice textures and framerate. Looks like I'll be dropping PS3 for the PC once it's out. Hopefully I can finish up my platinum by then.

T.O.P

Banned

4920194+_319efab1548c8e5db6f1ff388ddf02c0.gif

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
60fps solid. 1080p. Load times cut drastically. Yup, Day One. Texture mods will take care of the inconsistencies (I'm looking at you, Earthen Peak!!). Did anyone notice if the shiny/slime look on armor is more pronounced or in the case of the Turtle Shell Hammer dudes, back altogether?

marrec

Banned
modders like Durante, ENB Boris and other should leave From on their mess this time, the first time Durante fixing the port was ok because it was first PC port job for From, but now? fixing Namco and From lazy job again? why? just let these big companies lose some sales and know that lying to their customers is bad and learn something.

I totally agree with this. If Durante had not fixed DS1 then the popularity of DS would have been greatly diminished. The PC port was instrumental in creating the positive groundswell going forward. If the DS2 PC port is bunk then let them burn this time.

Persona7

Banned
So FROM made a version with great lighting with PC as lead platform, but then scrapped it because...why? If PC is lead, why would the lighting be changed so drastically? Is there any answer that is not "because platforms that were not the lead dictated what could be in the game?"

I know we will never get an answer to this, but it still pisses me off. I want the lighting version shown, and I have the horsepower to run it.

It probably was not worth the extra work to keep it in and was probably dropped ages ago.

see

It was what they seemed to have done, but the problem was that scaling back as much as they did resulted in having to overhaul the level lighting (as in reducing the number of actual dynamic lights and adding ambient lighting etc.) and bringing that back would have meant going through all the levels again and balancing them again for the dynamic lighting which then would have resulted in supporting two completely different versions of levels for each patch to come. The only way it's going to come back is after the current console versions are done with (DLC and patches released) and they end up working on versions for PS4/XB1 and then update the PC versions with the assets from those versions.

collige

Banned
So this game running at 60FPS automatically means it is not the lead version?

They specifically said that PC was the lead version, which is seemingly contradicted by the newly revealed fact that you can't get rid of the Xbox 360 button prompts.

Don't know why people are making such a big deal out of the graphics. I understand the Watch Dogs downgrade outcry since the game was all about graphics. The souls games however were never good looking ones. Just be thankful that the PC port is not atrocious like DS was

They're not doing us a favor. They're providing a product and we give them cash for it. If it doesn't meet the consumer's expectations the consumer has no obligation to feel "thankful" for being shown a preview build for months that looked nothing like the release product.

I think I've made up my mind on this whole matter. Won't touch the game until it's on sale on Steam for sub $10. The Souls series is one of my favorites of all time, but I'm not going to roll over and take an incredibly misleading marketing campaign just because "it's a Souls game!!". I'll still get the game, I'll still enjoy it, but it won't be on release day. Namco/From don't get a free pass on this bullshit.

It probably was not worth the extra work to keep it in and was probably dropped ages ago.

see

Probably.

Meanwhile, Namco kept pushing the clearly better looking preview builds because fuck honesty.

cakely

1080p, 60fps. Sold.

I'm disappointed by the lack of the fancy lighting, but this is all the confirmation I need to pre-order the Steam edition right now.

Haunted

There is nothing to fix.
Looks like the number of dynamic lights is limited (or it's been "shut off" in certain areas). Certainly seems something that could be fixed.

Textures... maybe it's not a fix, but they certainly can be improved. Gamespot guy mentioned that some of the default ones in DS2 they're worse than the community-made texture mods for DS1 PC.

There's always something to better. :D

Fuz

Banned
Anyway, I'm pretty happy it won't require a mod to let me play with the mouse, this time.

At least they got this right, and was the top of my list. Can go over a bad lighting, can't go over bad controls.

collige

Banned
They did not mislead with bullshots 'almost until release'. All the screenshots they released looked like garbage.
They most certainly did. All of the screenshots with the advanced lighting were removed from the Steam page a few weeks ago when people called them out on it.

Toxi

Banned
Christ From, you treat your PC audience like shit: First you release a non-functional port of Ninja Blade. Then you release a crippled Dark Souls that is only saved by the efforts of one of your fans. And then you give us hope you're finally looking at the PC as a main audience... Only to lie through your teeth to us while giving the bare minimum of what we expect from a port, and only then after a bizarre information black-out.

Would it kill you to just be real with us?

Jonm1010

Banned
Th PC version isn't out yet and we know exactly what we are getting. This was not true for the console version but it's been clear for awhile now that we weren't getting an older build.
Which is a far cry from what was promised when many people such as myself preorderd months back.

People can be upset about whatever they want. And other people can laugh at the daft upset people subsequently.
Yeah deceitful marketing is such a silly thing to get upset at.
No, people are just way to sensitive about these sorts of things, and way to eager to get out their pitchforks. You really think this was all some ploy to get more sales?

For almost an entire generation the industry has made it their M.O. To release doctored screens and videos as a means to promote their games. Ubisoft actually has an entire division devoted to doctoring promotional material. A poster on this forum was even talking about his friend who works in that department.

I never said what the reason for From releasing false footage was. I frankly don't know. I just know it happened and they have been the opposite of transparent about it and deserve every bit of backlash they have earned.

I am still amazed that so many gamers pathetically carry water for these companies that actively deceive their consumers.

Seanspeed

Banned
They most certainly did. All of the screenshots with the advanced lighting were removed from the Steam page a few weeks ago when people called them out on it.
Well ok, but anybody who saw the screenshots they were *actually* releasing as time went on would have known there was no intent to mislead people. If that was their goal, they wouldn't have released any of those god-awful screenshots we saw.

Persona7

Banned
They specifically said that PC was the lead version, which is seemingly contradicted by the newly revealed fact that you can't get rid of the Xbox 360 button prompts.

Well, I am assuming the PC version uses xinput which offers native xbox 360 controller support.

I just don't get it. I've played both, beaten the first. This is twice now that they've released performance disasters that were far from ready for prime time. They're completely silent about their progress, they mislead with bullshots almost to release day, and people are still just stoked to pay for it.

From Software should really stop dogfooding with their engine and just license a superior product.

So you're saying I shouldnt' be stoked to play a fucking amazing game? Because let's be honest, that's exactly what it is, even on the console.

Seanspeed

Banned
Which is a far cry from what was promised when many people such as myself preorderd months back.

Yeah deceitful marketing is such a silly thing to get upset at.

For almost an entire generation the industry has made it their M.O. To release doctored screens and videos as a means to promote their games. Ubisoft actually has an entire division devoted to doctoring promotional material. A poster on this forum was even talking about his friend who works in that department.

I never said what the reason for From releasing false footage was. I frankly don't know. I just know it happened and they have been the opposite of transparent about it and deserve every bit of backlash they have earned.

I am still amazed that so many gamers pathetically carry water for these companies that actively deceive their consumers.
There was never any false footage or doctored images.

It was simply downgraded as time went on. Its completely different.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Looks like the number of dynamic lights is limited (or it's been "shut off" in certain areas). Certainly seems something that could be fixed.

Textures... maybe it's not a fix, but they certainly can be improved. Gamespot guy mentioned that some of the default ones in DS2 they're worse than the community-made texture mods for DS1 PC.

There's always something to better. :D

Oh yes. Earthen Peak modded textures please. Dat elevator railing. Yeah. Small things like that will go a long way. Then the usual goodies like custom shield textures etc.
Can't wait. Really hope I can finish my 360 version in time.

Teletraan1

Banned
Based on the fact that this was a PS360/PC game I wasn't expecting much. Since I don't pay any attention to pre-release PR I thankfully didn't get duped into thinking this game would look better. I expected a bog standard PC port or even sub standard based on their previous effort. Higher resolution and framerate will be enough for me.

Grief.exe

Looks very good to me, everything we need to be happy and more.

Would be amazing if we got the lighting improvements, but I have accepted that loss.

Based on the fact that this was a PS360/PC game I wasn't expecting much. Since I don't pay any attention to pre-release PR I thankfully didn't get duped into thinking this game would look better. I expected a bog standard PC port or even sub standard based on their previous effort.

And it is looking like an excellent port.

Jonm1010

Banned
There was never any false footage or doctored images.

It was simply downgraded as time went on. Its completely different.
It's a misrepresentation of the final product without so much as a peep from From without enormous community pressure and From still kept pre-downgraded images on the back of the retail box.

Top Bottom