• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

The lighting downgrade is unfortunate but a solid framerate was my biggest concern. I've been waiting patiently for the PC version. I'm glad we have footage now for this version.

Seanspeed

Banned
It was what they seemed to have done, but the problem was that scaling back as much as they did resulted in having to overhaul the level lighting (as in reducing the number of actual dynamic lights and adding ambient lighting etc.) and bringing that back would have meant going through all the levels again and balancing them again for the dynamic lighting which then would have resulted in supporting two completely different versions of levels for each patch to come. The only way it's going to come back is after the current console versions are done with (DLC and patches released) and they end up working on versions for PS4/XB1 and then update the PC versions with the assets from those versions.
How much you want to bet they wouldn't ever update the PC version if that's the case.

Sell a new PC version, but I doubt even that.

I'd honestly rather keep waiting if that's what their plans are.

Nzyme32

Well they were completely silent about it for such a long time that this is kind of expected. On the other hand, as long as it is a better port than the original, I can't be too mad

Looks yummy.
darksouls2pc.jpg

forestoffallen.jpg

fedexpeon

Banned
Yeah, won't double dip again for this version =/.
But I will wait for some screenshot from the fans to see if I will buy it on PC or wait for a PS4 at a later point.

Temidien

Neo Member
Glad I waited for the PC version, even if the lighting (predictably) turned out to be a pipe dream.

Anyone who expected drastically different lighting/textures than what's found on consoles has been kidding themselves the past month.

Jonm1010

Banned
Don't know why people are making such a big deal out of the graphics. I understand the Watch Dogs downgrade outcry since the game was all about graphics. The souls games however were never good looking ones. Just be thankful that the PC port is not atrocious like DS was
Bullshit.

The main focus of almost all of their reveal videos centered on their graphical upgrades.

They continued to peddle those graphics almost up to release date only to quietly switch out footage without so much as a whisper.

Heck I read from someone here that they still used a pre-downgraded image on the retail box.

Anteater

Some of the environments look really cool, although I guess some of them suffered from low quality assets, just a bit inconsistent but overall I think it looks alright.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Expected.

Don't like it, don't buy it.

I don't like, but I'll buy it, but only on a Steam sale, and only after the inevitable Deluxe Gold Prepare to Die More Edition is out. By then someone (Durante?) will have figured out a way to make it look better and I'll be able to enjoy a PC worthy experience. The bullshots make me angry, thus no sale until I can get a good deal on it.

Patience can pay in dividends, especially when it comes to video games.

Okay this looks great. Even though the removal of lighting is disappointing, the fact that the game runs smooth is enough for me to be excited about it. Stable framerate is a better Souls experience for me anyway.

Soriku

Can't wait for the meltdowns when the improved lighting will be in the PS4/XB1 versions.

FROM shall burn that day.

We're looking at a different kind of meltdown if there's a next gen port and this doesn't happen.

Some of the environments look really cool, although I guess some of them suffered from low quality assets, just a bit inconsistent but overall I think it looks alright.

Many of the drabber environments would've benefited from better lighting more than anything.

tookhster

No reason to double-dip then.

I'll save my 50 bucks since I had no big problem with the PS3 version, despite the lighting, and since that hasn't changed there's no point.

60 fps vs 20.

I just don't get it. I've played both, beaten the first. This is twice now that they've released performance disasters that were far from ready for prime time. They're completely silent about their progress, they mislead with bullshots almost to release day, and people are still just stoked to pay for it.

From Software should really stop dogfooding with their engine and just license a superior product.

Kinsei

Banned
Le sigh. Now they really have no excuse for continuing to advertise the enhanced lighting. From really needs to get their act together.

Soriku

I just don't get it. I've played both, beaten the first. This is twice now that they've released performance disasters that were far from ready for prime time. They're completely silent about their progress, they mislead with bullshots almost to release day, and people are still just stoked to pay for it.

From Software should really stop dogfooding with their engine and just license a superior product.

git gud From

The PS3 version doesn't run at 20 FPS anyway.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
We can mod the lightning.

Still I expected better.

Durante's DS2Fix incoming

modders like Durante, ENB Boris and other should leave From on their mess this time, the first time Durante fixing the port was ok because it was first PC port job for From, but now? fixing Namco and From lazy job again? why? just let these big companies lose some sales and know that lying to their customers is bad and learn something.

I'm glad to hear it apparently performs well, since the original Dark Souls kind of ran pretty poorly on my laptop without unlocking the framerate via DSfix. The lighting downgrade is disappointing, but I don't think it should come as a shock that the PC version is essentially the same, visually, as on consoles... I would have been very, very, surprised to see completely different lighting on PC.

kick51

Banned
He mentioned he would implement new lighting if needed in a previous DS2 thread ;)

wait, really? now i feel dumb about the joke i cracked in the other thread

modders like Durante, ENB Boris and other should leave From on their mess this time, the first time Durante fixing the port was ok because it was first PC port job for From, but now? fixing Namco and From lazy job again? why? just let these big companies lose some sales and know that lying to their customers is bad and learn something.

No, sorry. everyone else's wanting a nicer looking game > your sense of honor

Top Bottom