• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

UnrealEck

Gamespot is not the bastion of techical comparisons.

One guy on gamespot that seemed to be rambling a lot.

Watching IGN's video comparison, I got a similar impression. The AO on PS3 seems broken, so that's better on PC, though it's very basic. Shadows are very very slightly better on PC.
Other than that, I can't see a big difference at all. Textures seem a little better, though I suspect that could be down to resolution. What material are you guys using to compare them?

I cannot wait for release. This thread will be the first thing I read the following morning; especially if this hype/anti-hype machine keeps moving at this rate.

LostAnkh

All I want is for somebody to make it so all the sconces cast dynamic shadows, and return darkness to the areas that the sconces were clearly meant to actually light in the first place.

Is that so much to ask?

I'm aware it's likely impossible, but a man can dream.
It is the PC version, so who knows, maybe the modding community can do more with it.

Watching IGN's video comparison, I got a similar impression. The AO on PS3 seems broken, so that's better on PC, though it's very basic. Shadows are very very slightly better on PC.
Other than that, I can't see a difference. What material are you guys using to compare them?

I'm not comparing because I haven't played it. I'm going by what most previewers(and now Durante) has said. The gamespot guy seems to be the only one who has said that.

Gvaz

Banned
I wish I was allowed to talk right now and irrefutably demonstrate just how ridiculous the idea that DS2 PC assets aren't improved over their console counterparts is.

activity82svr.png

I hope you can post proof the textures aside from the icon textures (ironically the GUI textures were not updated afa i can tell) because every single comparison shot ive seen simply shows off increased resolution trickling down to the existing textures.

nbthedude

I wish I was allowed to talk right now and irrefutably demonstrate just how ridiculous the idea that DS2 PC assets aren't improved over their console counterparts is.

activity82svr.png

Unfortunatley it wouldn't matter. The people raising pitchforks don't listen to programmers who try to tell them why they are wrong, they decry all journalists who discuss how the issue is overblown, and refuse to have rational conversations with anyone who challenges their hyperbolic rhetoric.

It's anti-intellectual populist rage and little else. There's no reasoning with it at this point.

impact

Banned
Unfortunatley it wouldn't matter. The people raising pitchforks don't listen to programmers who try to tell them why they are wrong, they decry all journalists who discuss how the issue is overblown, and refuse to have rational conversations with anyone who challenges their hyperbolic rhetoric.

It's anti-intellectual populist rage and little else. There's no reasoning with it at this point.

The people boycotting and saying we're dooming the industry by buying have no interest in playing a Souls game anyway. We're better off ignoring them all since they're just trying to get reactions out of people.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Shouldn't the PC OT be up soon?

The 18th. The OT aint hard to do as Grief can pretty much get most of the info or copy paste elements from the console OT and IIRC OT1 even has the PC requirements. I can help making some new banners if needed as well as anything need.

UnrealEck

I'm not comparing because I haven't played it. I'm going by what most previewers(and now Durante) has said. The gamespot guy seems to be the only one who has said that.

Which previews? I'd like to see what they say. Durante seems to be saying the PC's assets are improved over the console versions. From the videos at least, I'm not seeing it. The assets look identical to me other than the possibility of the textures being a bit better (though as I said it could be due to resolution too).

Deadbeat

Banned
I just re-read the agreement I signed, and it's actually simpler to explain than I thought, because I can tell you that I'm working on an article about the technical aspects of Dark Souls II PC for PC Gamer.

And that's all I'll say (and can say) before the article.
When is the article hitting?

Anyone still buying this deserves where this industry is headed. What a mess.

I have put 130 hours into the xbox 360 version, am buying the pc version and will buy a ps4/xbox one version if it happens.
This game is one of the best of all time and that deserves to be rewarded.

Apart from the pointless enlargement of those low res images, there are also differences in geometry, and the location is actually not structured in the same way: the area shown in the original footage has a source of light that's positioned in the ground area on the left, while in the retail game that section's geography is different, there's no flames and fire lizards on the ground level so they don't cast any light. Thus, the comparison is pointless. A fairer comparison is what you get when you take a few steps back in the retail game and see this:

Sorry for the shitty quality, I had to take a photo with the iPhone (there's in fact some processing on the image related to the camera app), but as you can see the point is the same as the gif I reposted: with simple processing you can acquire a similar result to the original footage, there's the same number of light sources and cast shadows.

The light sources are the same and the lizards are down there as shown here:

http://a.pomf.se/iysufg.webm

The only difference is that the area looks like crap now.

And crushing the colors only yield darkness, not baked SHADOWS such as this:

darksouls2-april2013vu9s92.png

Anyone still buying this deserves where this industry is headed. What a mess.
People are too hooked to even wait for a discount.

Which previews? I'd like to see what they say. Durante seems to be saying the PC's assets are improved over the console versions. From the videos at least, I'm not seeing it. The assets look identical to me other than the possibility of the textures being a bit better (though as I said it could be due to resolution too).

Polygon
IGN
Quick Look

Now none say it looks like TGS but GameSpot was the only video where he said they look the same.

But like I said I can't judge based on youtube videos but most previews have been somewhat positive. Whether it's just resolution or actually improved textures we'll have to wait and see but we got Durante researching that front.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
People are too hooked to even wait for a discount.

Well, it's not any game that can be so grossly incandescent.

That said, I may have to wait just due to being a broke ass. Plus I probably won't be done with the 360 version by then. Knowing me I will crumble on the 25th though. Dem hooks, dat addiction.

HRose

Banned
What are people arguing about? Textures surely are higher res. Even DS1 port has higher res textures.

There's absolutely zero controversy about the higher res/higher texture/60 fps.

It's everything else that caused the uproar.

The PC config options aren't anything special. It's about TURNING OFF effects present on consoles. You can downgrade the game further.

The rest is all about stuff we knew: resolution and fps.

It's not that DS2 in high resolution looks bad. It's that DS1 in high resolution looked the same and sometimes better.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Decent textures over last gen geometry.

That's just the thing though, in the shot above, the textures on the stone structure aren't too hot up close, but overall, they still manage to look good. It's more of an artstyle > technical limitations kinda thing.

Durante

What are people arguing about? Textures surely are higher res. Even DS1 port has higher res textures.
No. It hasn't. (Unless you mean if you install a texture mod, which makes no sense as a comparison)

I'd so like to reply to more of your post

Quick, let's all make posts about how DS1 PC is still 'objectively' more impressive technically than DS2 PC. He wont be able to stand it and will spill the beans quickly enough B)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is Durante hiding something?!? GiantBomb did specifically say that the code they got was a preview build, despite it saying 1.0 on the title screen.

LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE

Zios

Banned
Is Durante hiding something?!? GiantBomb did specifically say that the code they got was a preview build, despite it saying 1.0 on the title screen.

LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE

He has the tools/knowledge to demonstrate how this is an acceptable pc port. You will see all the jargon/pics when he does his article.

Guys, new plan: Start making non-sensical claims to bait Durante into spilling the beans. I'll get the ball rolling. Ahem.

Dark Souls 2 on PC looks like the console version because I saw some footage on youtube uploaded at 720p and was compressed to hell and back and only showed one area, so I have just irrefutably proven it. Ir-re-futably.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Dark Souls 2 on PC is arguably worse than the console games. I want a 24 FPS lock for a more filmic and realistic experience.

I just re-read the agreement I signed, and it's actually simpler to explain than I thought, because I can tell you that I'm working on an article about the technical aspects of Dark Souls II PC for PC Gamer.

And that's all I'll say (and can say) before the article.

I know my reading comprehension will go to shit with the big words you'll employ, but it's rad that PC Gamer is now doing this kind of stuff!

Top Bottom