• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Trakan

For anyone looking to do the
Shrine of Winter skip on NG++
, make sure you use L3 to jump and not O. You won't be able to do it otherwise.

Alric

Vanquishers seal is such a blast playing the game with. Dual Fists is insanely good as long as you are good at rolling and parrying.

GulAtiCa

Does anyone know if wearing "Delicate String" ring will increase the host chance of getting invaded if I do co-op and I'm a phantom? Cause, that be kinda cool if so (also evil)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Does anyone know if wearing "Delicate String" ring will increase the host chance of getting invaded if I do co-op and I'm a phantom? Cause, that be kinda cool if so (also evil)
Nope. The ring only affects the wearer's chance of being invaded, and you can't be invaded as a phantom.

anddo0

Whats the quickest route to Drangleic in NG++?

I'm about to start NG++. All I need is the spells that Chancellor Wellager sells for the plat.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Dark Souls 2 Critique by Matthewmatosis (SPOILERS)

This was a good watch, brings up a lot of fair points. Don't watch if you haven't completed the game!

I agree with most of his comments. He raises some good points.

Disagree with him on the soundtrack though. There are some standout tracks, like the ruin sentinels, mirror knight, skeleton lords, ...

And even though I agree with the criticisms, I still think it's a great game, just on the level of DkS I.

AHA-Lambda

Hey guys, not played this yet, waiting for PC on Friday but just looking for a few advance tips tbh, if no one minds. I do like to go into my Souls games a little prepared :p

- Any heads up on what is the hardest boss in the game?

- Any word on what any of the best weapons are to keep an eye out for?

- Is it just me or is this a lot less focus on pyromancies for this game, not seen alot of it. I rocked pyro mostly in DS1, how does it compare? Should I go for a different build, like sorcerer or melee?

Hey guys, not played this yet, waiting for PC on Friday but just looking for a few advance tips tbh, if no one minds. I do like to go into my Souls games a little prepared :p

- Is it just me or is this a lot less focus on pyromancies for this game, not seen alot of it. I rocked pyro mostly in DS1, how does it compare? Should I go for a different build, like sorcerer or melee?

My main recommendation is dump a few stats into DEX so that you can use a bow. You don't even need to max it out, just get enough in there to use it at a competent level. I was a straight up STR character and probably the most useful weapon during three playthroughs for me was a fairly upgraded bow and a ton of poison arrows. You don't get the chance to buy them in unlimited quantities until a bit later in the game, but they are insanely valuable against almost every enemy type in the game. Target an enemy off in the distance, put four poison arrows into them, either rinse and repeat or wipe em out when they aggro and charge you.

Sullichin

Vanquishers seal is such a blast playing the game with. Dual Fists is insanely good as long as you are good at rolling and parrying.
Keep hearing this, looking forward to doing a fist only run. Might be my first PC playhrough. Wish it worked on caestus/claws as well though, just to switch it up

Trakan

I thought that was patched.

Why would that make a difference?

Can you elaborate?

It was patched, but you can wipe the patches and play Version 1 offline to do it. It makes a difference because if you jump while sprinting, you jump farther. I tried for 30 minutes using O and couldn't even make the first jump. I heard you have to switch to L3 and did the entire sequence of jumps on my first try.

I also switched to L3 to jump after that and die far less frequently trying to make specific jumps to get items.

It was patched, but you can wipe the patches and play Version 1 offline to do it. It makes a difference because if you jump while sprinting, you jump farther. I tried for 30 minutes using O and couldn't even make the first jump. I heard you have to switch to L3 and did the entire sequence of jumps on my first try.

I also switched to L3 to jump after that and die far less frequently trying to make specific jumps to get items.

Edit: never mind, used the Youtubes to find videos. Gonna delete my patch tonight and see if it works.

Going for the platinum because why not.

Missing two hexes, two pyros, two miracles and a sorcery.

Got a question about a hex though -
Profound Still. When can I buy it from Granddaddy Grandahl? Do I need to find him in his three creepy spots again or will he simply acknowledge my swag? I mean I have the Abyss Seal. Don't tell me I'm going to have to kill Darklurker again. I'm never doing Darklurker and Ancient Dragon again. NEVER.

Going for the platinum because why not.

Missing two hexes, two pyros, two miracles and a sorcery.

Got a question about a hex though -
Profound Still. When can I buy it from Granddaddy Grandahl? Do I need to find him in his three creepy spots again or will he simply acknowledge my swag? I mean I have the Abyss Seal. Don't tell me I'm going to have to kill Darklurker again. I'm never doing Darklurker and Ancient Dragon again. NEVER.

Should be available for purchase when you find him at either of the three locations. No Darklurker fight needed, as far as I know.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why would you ever think this? :lol
I do wish you could actually drop multiple at once, instead of individually 100 times.
I don't know if you know already or not, but you can drop multiple at once, in a way: just don't exit the menu after leaving 1, and leave another, and another, etc. When you exit the menu you can pick up all the rewards then. It's far less annoying than doing them one by one by exiting the menu and skipping the goofy voices every time.

Also, wish they made giving sun medals/etc to the statue easier then 1 at a time, so dumb.
This, good gods this is annoying. Can't believe they didn't think of fixing that.

I hate videos that take forever to get to the point, urgh.

GulAtiCa

I don't know if you know already or not, but you can drop multiple at once, in a way: just don't exit the menu after leaving 1, and leave another, and another, etc. When you exit the menu you can pick up all the rewards then. It's far less annoying than doing them one by one by exiting the menu and skipping the goofy voices every time.

I don't leave the menu though :p

AngryMoth

I think what people find the hardest boss is very dependant on the order you tackle them in. If R
uin
S
entinels
is your 3rd boss like it was for me it'll make you want to kill yourself if you don't summon but if you save it until later when you have an upgraded weapon and some decent stats it's not so bad. S
melter
D
emon
can be pretty tough too. There's also a late game optional boss called
Ancient Dragon
which I found extremely difficult and not in a good way, that fight is bullshit.

Early game the mace is a very strong weapon, as is the heide knight sword. But like the previous games most weapons are viable as long as you upgrade them, even in high level pvp I'm seeing a wide variety of weapons since poise barely matters and you'll get stun locked by pretty much anything (good thing imo).

I think some of the pyromancy spells got nerfed in the patch but it is still very strong in pve even with base int/faith so a good option if you want to use some spells without much stat investment. If you're looking to maximise your dps though I'd recommend focusing on 1 magic stat and 1 melee stat so you can have the benefits of infusions and buff spells.

I think what people find the hardest boss is very dependant on the order you tackle them in. If R
uin
S
entinels
is your 3rd boss like it was for me it'll make you want to kill yourself if you don't summon but if you save it until later when you have an upgraded weapon and some decent stats it's not so bad. S
melter
D
emon
can be pretty tough too. There's also a late game optional boss called
Ancient Dragon
which I found extremely difficult and not in a good way, that fight is bullshit.

Early game the mace is a very strong weapon, as is the heide knight sword. But like the previous games most weapons are viable as long as you upgrade them, even in high level pvp I'm seeing a wide variety of weapons since poise barely matters and you'll get stun locked by pretty much anything (good thing imo).

I think some of the pyromancy spells got nerfed in the patch but it is still very strong in pve even with base int/faith so a good option if you want to use some spells without much stat investment. If you're looking to maximise your dps though I'd recommend focusing on 1 magic stat and 1 melee stat so you can have the benefits of infusions and buff spells.

And to add, this game's sort of Drake Sword equivalent from DS1 is the probably the Flame Longsword, which you can find in the Forest of Fallen Giants. You get it really early in the grand scheme of things, and it proves to be a really solid imbued sword for much of the game, especially with upgrading.

Frodo

Ancient Dragon
is a bitch. What a boring fight. Feels cheap and unnecessary.
It is unnecessary, though, as it is completely optional, but...

Finally beat Darklurker. He glitched out and stopped attacking, but I don't feel bad because I got him down to a sliver of health before that and died.

GulAtiCa

Ancient Dragon

Please, that boss fight is easy-peasy once you've got the Orange Listerine Ring.

But seriously, yeah he is annoying, but actually kinda "easy" if you are a caster, since you can just stay far far away.

Ancient Dragon

I agree. Watching Jeff Green fight Kalameet last night reminded me how good a such a fight can be.

AngryMoth

Please, that boss fight is easy-peasy once you've got the Orange Listerine Ring.

But seriously, yeah he is annoying, but actually kinda "easy" if you are a caster, since you can just stay far far away.
Even melee he is 'easy' once you understand how to fight him, I beat him first time in NG+. Just took 2 hours of getting one shotted before I figured out how to reliably dodge his aoe.

2AdEPT

Fuck Ancient Dragon.
Ancient Dragon

^^^Spoilers on how to make this easier^^^^

(check the description to cue up to the good parts as its part of my let's play and I died a few times before figuring it out...no rings or magic.....just raping the AI....the strat works as I even break my darkdrift and still pull out the last 20% with left hand rapier stabs....got pretty intense....probably up there with my favourite 3 vids with pursuer and sentinels)

So, I am to the point now where I just want to temporarily respec to bring down the
Darklurker
. I'm level 160 into New Game, I've basically been screwing around for days since I finished up with the "game". Does anyone have any recommendations?

test_account

XP-39C²
So.. you can still light bonfires on no bonfire runs?
Yep, just make sure that you dont rest at them out of habit :) Its best to plan out which bonfires you have to light in the game when doing a no bonfire run. Otherwise you might end up doing some really long runs if you die. Lets say that you have lit all bonfires up to
Undead Crypt
. When you're finished there, you have to run through whole
Shrine of Amana and Drangleic Castle
again as back tracking since you cant use the bonfire to warp. Imagine dying in
Shaded Forest
or something, then you have to run through whole
Undead Crypt, Shrine of Amana and Drangleic Castle
again.

So, I am to the point now where I just want to temporarily respec to bring down the
Darklurker
. I'm level 160 into New Game, I've basically been screwing around for days since I finished up with the "game". Does anyone have any recommendations?
Do it from the bonfire in
Drangleic Castle
. Then there is a very short way to run if you die, and in that portal there are only four phantoms. Also, that boss is weak to fire.

Darklurker

So I did exactly this over the weekend. First off, I used a Pyromancy Flame+10. I was originally a high STR and DEX character. For my respec I changed my stats to around the following:

VIT: 25
END: 25
ATTN: like 20 or something, whatever got me 6 or 7 cast slots
STR: 50 (kept this up high so I still could two-hand my Great Club+10 for the mobs in the Dark Chasms of Old levels
INT: 30
FTH: 30
MISC: redistributed everything else randomly

I went in with a Great Fireball, two Flame Swathes and Forbidden Sun. It got hairy at some moments, but was able to finish him off using only Pryomancy. Also wore the robe set that increased cast time, as well as the ring that increased cast time, too.

A lot of the fight will come down to how well you can time your Flame Swathes when the jerk splits into two. Even with the FS nerf in the latest patch, two well time casts can kill him outright, or at the very least, leave him with very little health afterward.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So, how hard is it to platinum the game?

Not hard, just takes time. There are trophies that require you to get all sorceries/miracles and there's one of them you can only buy in NG++. It's mostly keeping a checklist for those final trophies.

Shengar

Not hard, just takes time. There are trophies that require you to get all sorceries/miracles and there's one of them you can only buy in NG++. It's mostly keeping a checklist for those final trophies.

As long as I don't have to online grind for it like Dark Souls 1 with Darkmoon Blade (it was fine experience though), I'm fine. After all, platinuming is my sole reason why I play my console copy in the first place.
The 300 wins talk some pages back really scared the shit out of me.

Top Bottom