• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

2AdEPT

I'm sorry. The Executioner's Chariot is easily the toughest boss in the entire game.

Hahahaha....yeah its my nemesis as well.......the killer was that every time I tried to turtle up in the cubby holes I couldn't use the triangle button to switch to put up my shield from two handing because some ASSHOLES YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE...put messages in there, and together with bloodstains all I would do is toggle through the option to read the friggin messages and watch the bloodstain animation.....couldnt have been more annoyed. I can solo sentinels with no shield so eventually just did the same on chariot by rolling continuously while in the cubby hole!

Heart Cooks Brain does an excellent job editing her version of the Chariot boss here and shares our pain.

Haha. That's not to say it's that tough at all, but everything surrounding the boss himself (in NG+, anyway) is just annoying. The skeleton gangbang, the phantoms beforehand... Worst. It just took me a good 6 attempts solo. It's probably a lot more manageable with a helper, but I'm getting invaded by blues left, right and centre, so I didn't want to waste effigies.

EDIT: if we're talking about one-on-ond with the Horsey, though, then yes, super easy.

test_account

XP-39C²
Regarding the pickaxe and 1/1000 chance of a pig to appear, was that something that they changed in the final build of the game? Those pigs spawn every time when i've played.

Jaeger

Liking the heavyier weapons. Using a fully upgraded Demon's Great Hammer. Hit's like Optimus Prime.

I want to use the Sacred Chime Hammer (dat dark attack). But man, need to farm Petrified Dragon Bones, again. Hate farming that.

Regarding the pickaxe and 1/1000 chance of a pig to appear, was that something that they changed in the final build of the game? Those pigs spawn every time when i've played.
The special piglet is the size of the ones in Majula I think, not the regular sized two that are already there.

Pretty sure I've seen a video of someone taking one of the regular ones down to the patch to get it, it doesn't just have to be the baby one.

test_account

XP-39C²
The special piglet is the size of the ones in Majula I think, not the regular sized two that are already there.

Pretty sure I've seen a video of someone taking one of the regular ones down to the patch to get it, it doesn't just have to be the baby one.
Yeah, you can indeed take a regular pig down there and still get the pickaxe, i've done it myself :) That is why i was wondering why the 1/1000 chance to spawn thing is needed, or if they originally planned to have it like this, but changed it in the final build of the game (maybe the guide was written a bit for the game was finished).

Shengar

Is it safe for a fresh start character (just received my CE last week) to jumped into online mode?
Also, some question regarding the location of these things:
Ring that reduce hollow health penalty
Nito's Sex Change Service

Minamu

Is it safe for a fresh start character (just received my CE last week) to jumped into online mode?
Also, some question regarding the location of these things:
Ring that reduce hollow health penalty
Nito's Sex Change Service
yes, invasions are sadly very rare in the beginning. The ring is in one of the two early starting areas after the safe zone Majula. It's in a chest in the not a forest area. Ring of Binding I think it's called. I've never used it, coming back from Hollow is fairly easy and even easier with online coop functionality being changed recently. The sex change can be found behind two massive hippo cyclops in the tutorial section at the start.

Shengar

yes, invasions are sadly very rare in the beginning. The ring is in one of the two early starting areas after the safe zone Majula. It's in a chest in the not a forest area. Ring of Binding I think it's called. I've never used it, coming back from Hollow is fairly easy and even easier with online coop functionality being changed recently. The sex change can be found behind two massive hippo cyclops in the tutorial section at the start.

Is that the big thing I look from up above after the first tree? That thing supposed to be the tutorial boss I reckon?
Damn, how the heck I can miss it :/

So, the phantom outside Undead Purgatory fucked me up pretty bad when I first encountered it. So when I finally returned to tackle the area I was probably a bit over-geared. The four undead catchers on the path leading up to the Purgatory went down in two hits each, the phantom was a pushover, and so was the actual boss. Anyway I'm now a blood-bro. The armor that Gren sells looks tacky as fuck, but it has a great defense-per-weight ratio, so unfortunately I'm stuck with it. But I love the covenant.

I stayed up until 6 AM, first doing duels, which was pretty fun. Some of them did some great tricks. One guy/girl finished me off by starting a Lightning Spear spell, which made me roll, and then somehow cancelled out of it and attacked me after the roll. I'm not sure how they did it but it was awesome. I'm having most trouble with people who use bare fists and people who dual-wield light swords. Also, upgraded armor seems to make a big difference, because some people take a lot of damage and others take ages to scratch. Mages are the most fun to fight for me. They don't know what to do when I whip out the Rebel's Greatshield. Those 29 points in Strength really paid off.

With 18 or so Cracked Red Eye Orbs I then started doing invasions. I love doing it. I love fucking inexperienced players up, or being surprise fucked up myself by a summoned phantom. I am now apparently a sinner, so we will see how long until the Brolice shows up. I love how they made PVP more accessible in this game. I never really dared/bothered to try it in previous games.

Only drawback is, with me spending so much time on it, I may never actually finis the game :(

Can't believe I have to farm for fuckin Hidden Weapon. Never use that.

Edit: I also can't believe the ridiculous "listening to your PS3s chugging noises" trick to farm the Mad Warrior trick actually works, lol.

Minamu

Is that the big thing I look from up above after the first tree? That thing supposed to be the tutorial boss I reckon?
Damn, how the heck I can miss it :/
Not sure, there are three in the tutorial area actually. One is before the house with the old ladies in red, the other two down to the left by the seashore. That's where you want to go. I suppose it's possible to run past them to a certain something, but I'm not sure. They hit hard for a long time so be careful.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I defeated The Throne Watcher and Defender...but their armor didn't appear for sale.
Do they appear after I beat the game or something?

Niahak

Man, Soul Memory is some BS and people who manage to get around the restrictions are worse...

I started a new character aiming for a Belmont build (whips with fire enchantment, daggers, holy water urns) and co-oped a bunch with a friend doing dual cestus.

We finish Last Giant and head to Heide's, I summon him and we get invaded by a guy using the black witchtree staff, among other things. We confront him when he uses Chameleon going up some stairs, my friend distracts him and I just manage to push him off a ledge with my whip and...

I got 500,000 souls. Half a million souls when my SM was probably 100k. My friend gets 200k, but that pushed us out of range from each other, so not only can I not co-op with anyone else in the areas (when I reached Lost Sinner at 700k I was barely in range of some people), we can't even co-op together.

I think I've decided whip builds are largely junk (Old Whip is the best one, and it lasts about 15-20 hits before it breaks) even if they're more fun than they used to be, but getting an extra half a million souls with only one boss beaten put a damper on the experience for sure.

On the plus side, high soul memory has meant I've been invaded a few times. One time I slapped on a ring of life protection, used a token to morph into an urn, and hid while the invader kept messaging me asking where I was (at one point obviously typing a message in full view of me).

I honestly think this game is a lot easier then Dark Souls. Smelter demon was the hardest, but, he was still nothing compared to Artorias, or O/S. I just got to Artorias and he's destroying me, I can't even touch him he's just that strong. Lost Sinner is nothing compared to Artorias, she's slow and predictable. Smelter demon was pretty mild too.

I'm hardly pro (i've died over 300 times in DSII), but, Dark Souls 2 seems a lot easier. Am I really the only who feels this way?

test_account

XP-39C²
If anyone is doing a no bonfire run, i would recommend not to light the 2nd bonfire in
Shaded Woods
before all the
main bosses are beaten, and then you're going to Shrine of Winter
. I did that mistake now, and if i die, i have to start in
Brighstone Cove, which means that i have to run all the way to the boss area, use the primal bonfire, run from Majula, open the gate where the ambush is, and run through Shaded Woods to get to the 2nd bonfire.
All of that can be avoided by not lighting the 2nd bonfire when you first get there. The 3rd bonfire is also close by, so there is really no need to light the 2nd bonfire when you first see it.

Mogwai

I honestly think this game is a lot easier then Dark Souls. Smelter demon was the hardest, but, he was still nothing compared to Artorias, or O/S. I just got to Artorias and he's destroying me, I can't even touch him he's just that strong. Lost Sinner is nothing compared to Artorias, she's slow and predictable. Smelter demon was pretty mild too.

I'm hardly pro (i've died over 300 times in DSII), but, Dark Souls 2 seems a lot easier. Am I really the only who feels this way?
Just wait until NG+ and you'll get your DSII challenge. But I agree that a lot of the NG content feels somewhat easier.

Regarding Artorias: He will probably not be your biggest problem ;)

Just wait until NG+ and you'll get your DSII challenge. But I agree that a lot of the NG content feels somewhat easier.

Regarding Artorias: He will probably not be your biggest problem ;)

Manus will destroy me. That's just a given. I've tried Sinner on NG+,now she's just annoying. Same moves but now she gets 2 pyro buds to troll me. That's not fun.

Soulhouf

I just figured out that you don't have to quit&reload anymore when trading for items.
I've been doing this for hours
nimp.gif

Vitten

The biggest diference is your skill level probably. Once you're good at one Souls game you'll quickly be good at all of them.
The trophy requirements are certainly a lot easier though. This plat is cake compared to the previous ones. They could have at least added a trophy for collecting all the rings :(

I've been enjoying my dual wielding rapier build so far, just got to Belfry Sol after a slightly gruelling trip through Iron Keep - without shield it's not quite as simple - and my rapiers are tearing through the Belfry dwarves, they seem to have no poise at all so they're completely helpless.

I just figured out that you don't have to quit&reload anymore when trading for items.
nimp.gif
Doh, haha! You still have to drop them one at a time but you can also drop them all and then pick them up one by one. I get slowdown on this though past about 8 items.

GulAtiCa

I like bellbro-ing with new created characters. Mostly because people don't try to sit where you spawn. That, and the user doesn't always know what to do. I usually wait up top over that hole in the ground and get behind the user as they come up. Great way to get chunks early on.

I tried to use my main character (lv 344) with the bellbros, and wasn't as fun. Mainly as the constant campers are annoying as well. I did however WotG their asses at least! That was fun. Esp after one guy in the 2nd tower would just sit on the edge near the end and shoot at you as you spawn. Luckily he gave my the chance to go up the ladder, and as he followed, I quickly WotG him.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

I'm shocked. This is not what your archive of posts from the last three threads would indicate.

GulAtiCa

nimp.gif

Why would you ever think this? :lol
I do wish you could actually drop multiple at once, instead of individually 100 times. Also, wish they made giving sun medals/etc to the statue easier then 1 at a time, so dumb.

Really? I'd figured you were having much harder time due to all your raging in the last few threads. lol

Shengar

Dark Souls 2 Critique by Matthewmatosis (SPOILERS)

This was a good watch, brings up a lot of fair points. Don't watch if you haven't completed the game!

I saw the thread and read the bulleted points. I guess some flawed point aside, he does raised interesting issue about the game being designed around "being hard" instead of just designed being "good" and challenging. Both are very different thing and could affect a game design greatly, especially a game like Dark Souls II. I've yet to reach far into the game, and I'm about to see if this is true or not.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I saw the thread and read the bulleted points. I guess some flawed point aside, he does raised interesting issue about the game being designed around "being hard" instead of just designed being "good" and challenging. Both are very different thing and could affect a game design greatly, especially a game like Dark Souls II. I've yet to reach far into the game, and I'm about to see if this is true or not.

But this game was easier than Dark Souls 1 lol

Why would you ever think this? :lol
Also, wish they made giving sun medals/etc to the statue easier then 1 at a time, so dumb.
Since they changed being able to pop multiple soul items at once, I can only assume they left this as it was on purpose - why I have no idea. I can only think that they intend for people to faff about taking trips back and forth every time they do a successful co-op run to offer the item rather than do it all at once. Baffling.

Sullichin

Lol, for all the raging you did in this thread, this is funny.

If anyone is doing a no bonfire run, i would recommend not to light the 2nd bonfire in
Shaded Woods
before all the
main bosses are beaten, and then you're going to Shrine of Winter
. I did that mistake now, and if i die, i have to start in
Brighstone Cove, which means that i have to run all the way to the boss area, use the primal bonfire, run from Majula, open the gate where the ambush is, and run through Shaded Woods to get to the 2nd bonfire.
All of that can be avoided by not lighting the 2nd bonfire when you first get there. The 3rd bonfire is also close by, so there is really no need to light the 2nd bonfire when you first see it.

So.. you can still light bonfires on no bonfire runs?

maomaoIYP

Where is this thread? I don't want to watch a 50 min video.

GulAtiCa

You know... I figured that once I platinum the game I would take a break from it. I then thought perhaps after I get my main up to lv 300, I'd take a break. Now I'm level 344 on my main while having 3 more characters, two of which are near end game with 110+ and the last one, newly created like 65.

Mistel

Banned
Since they changed being able to pop multiple soul items at once, I can only assume they left this as it was on purpose - why I have no idea. I can only think that they intend for people to faff about taking trips back and forth every time they do a successful co-op run to offer the item rather than do it all at once. Baffling.
I've got 30 dragon scales to give in *cries*.

tokkun

What's your build?

So far I have only played a tank build in DS2, and I think that build is harder to play than it was in DS1. Shields are poise are both more effective in DS1, and a lot of the bosses that people complain about in DS1 - Capra, Artorias, Manus, S&O - are a lot easier to beat with tanks. When I fought Artorias I was using his greatshield, and the battle was honestly a joke. He damaged me maybe once or twice in the whole fight, and only because I got careless.

In DS2, shields are generally less effective. Enemies tend to do more stamina damage, losing all your stamina will stagger you and open you up to being stunlocked, there are more attacks that pierce or ignore shields, and the shieldbreak attacks is now far more potent and frequently used. Funny you bring up Smelter Demon and Lost Sinner, because they are among the few bosses in DS2 that are easier with a greatshield. In general, I think most of the bosses in DS2 are easier to fight using rolling than with blocking and stamina management.

Another thing to point out is that DS2 is harder to play as a pure melee character than DS1, because there are a lot more crowd control encounters. Furthermore a lot of enemies (and especially red phantoms in NG+) have insane poise and do more damage than the player, so you end up in a losing situation of trading blows.

Top Bottom