• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post really made me want to put my Dark Souls disc back into my console. Dark Souls to me had a lot more depth, you could peel away at the layers of the game and feel a deeper appreciation. I just don't feel that way with Dark Souls 2, maybe it will take time for it grow on me.

I was initially really enjoying how many references to the first game the item descriptions dance around, but
after a while all of the "this thing is really old........ woah, dang, who's this Ricard guy?"
-style lore starts to feel lazy.

the idea that the world is essentially on the same spot as Lordran, just a long, long time later is cool, but it's basically the only thing the lore really leans into.

FStop7

Banned
Dear Souls-GAF,

I just started my first ever Souls game. I've watched multiple playthroughs of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. But I've never played one until now.

I'm playing as deprived and I did not accept a gift. I punched a couple of dudes to death but now I'm concerned that may be in way over my head. But I feel like if I'm going to play a Souls game then there really is no other choice. Am I just setting myself up for frustration and failure as a first timer?

Random question - in Maluja, in the basement of the main house there's a frozen over section of the floor. On my first visit, the floor was bare. On my second, there was a tiny little flame burning on the ground. Couldn't interact with it or anything, but seemed odd and possibly significant. Any info?

Carcetti

PVP is going to get real annoying once people figure out how overpowered certain hexes are. I mean it's fine for sunlight spear to do 1200+ damage because it's slow and has only 3 casts (and you can only ever get one copy). But there's a hex that does 1400+, casts instantly and you can get tons of casts. Got invaded in drangleic castle and it was like playing a bullet hell game including the 'one hit you die' part.

Sounds like a really useful hex. What's the name of it?

Dear Souls-GAF,

I just started my first ever Souls game. I've watched multiple playthroughs of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. But I've never played one until now.

I'm playing as destitute and I did not accept a gift. I punched a couple of dudes to death but now I'm concerned that may be in way over my head. But I feel like if I'm going to play a Souls game then there really is no other choice. Am I just setting myself up for frustration and failure as a first timer?

Probably. Sword and board is the way to go until you get a feel for the game. It's going to be plenty challenging as it is.

Dear Souls-GAF,

I'm playing as deprived and I did not accept a gift. I punched a couple of dudes to death but now I'm concerned that may be in way over my head. But I feel like if I'm going to play a Souls game then there really is no other choice. Am I just setting myself up for frustration and failure as a first timer?

You chose well.

If you want a new weapon down the line, there's a dagger available in Things Betwixt, and a short sword early on into the "first area".

Zeliard

Speaking of relatively intangible qualities, I've noticed that there's no one in the game who's been as widely appreciated as Solaire yet. It's sort of bullshit to say "it's less charming," but I can't shake the feeling.

I did quite like Vengarl, actually. Very well voice-acted and a neat character design. Why couldn't we have more like that?

I haven't beaten the game yet (I'm at
Drangleic Castle
, first bonfire) but I really disagree with that. There are covenants for trolling, but there are covenants for duelling too, plus the red soapstone. The rat covenant is hilarious, it's very trollish but at the same time has really little penalty on the "trolled" one. I mean, I got summoned as grey spirit a few times in the Doors of Pharros, and when I lost, I'd just respawn in my world with nothing changed. It's funny, but not a real penalty. And if I won, I got my gear repaired and estus recharged!
I mean I haven't even got invaded once except in the Bell towers, and I'm level 110 or so! Haven't seen a single red/black phantom invader the whole game. Compared to the overly common Dickwraiths in Dark Souls 1, I really can't say the game encourages griefing more, on the contrary.
And as for neutered coop, I haven't noticed that at all. Some have claimed the 50k soul memory thing will gimp it, but is it even true? I haven't noticed a lack of white signs throughout, nor any significant delay in being summoned.

When Doors of Pharros involves
the host setting numerous traps in the form of mobs as you're plodding through liquid, while they take potshots at you
, I'm not inclined to view that as interesting. It's dumb, and even when I win those encounters I don't feel any particular enjoyment from it. It's just a waste of time. That the area's boss is also one of the worst in the game just compounds it. I'd much prefer classic-style invasions to that; I had a few of those in Iron Keep and they were good stuff.

As far as co-op, I've noticed an increase in summon time as my soul history has gone up without my SL changing, as have others.

And yes, it's straight from the horse's mouth: http://support.namcobandaigames.com...---im-having-trouble-with-summoningsinvasions

The 50k amount is trivial in earlier levels but becomes more problematic at higher levels, when soul histories can diverge wildly between two players in the proper SL range. More to the point, it's completely unnecessary to have it affect co-op, especially given that summon times will only naturally increase as the player base dwindles.

I think I only need two more items in Forest of Fallen giants. One is on the hill above the
hole where you get the fire sword. How do you get up there?
The other is
on the lava floor with the fire lizard scampering around. Do I need to just make a suicide run down there with the fall damage ring?

PS: I think everyone saying the game isn't as deep as Dark Souls is playing too much too fast. I'm taking in my surroundings. Playing maybe two to three hours at a time and am loving the areas (although I'm still sore about the graphics downgrade). The only thing I'm not enjoying right now is my disconnection with Majula. Another poster put it perfectly when he said finding a new route that led back to Firelink was such a great feeling, it's a shame we can fast travel right out of the gate because I think I would feel a deeper connection to Majula if I was excited to see it again.

Dresden

I did quite like Vengarl, actually. Very well voice-acted and a neat character design. Why couldn't we have more like that?

I liked Lucatiel of Mirrah, although at some point I basically lost her storyline. There's a good number of NPCs, but not many of them are memorable - kinda like the game itself, I suppose.

Getting really annoyed at Vestaldt. Not the boss itself, but the seven knights before him. Every time I want to fight the guy I have to go through and lure each and everyone out, wait for him to come out from behind his shield, then go about killing him. I don't know if they were thinking "Yea, this is Dark Souls, this'll be hard!" or something, but it's really annoying and a terrible padding strategy.

sixghost

The hard 50,000 definitely isn't completely accurate, for what its worth. I messaged someone I co-oped with who had a Soul Memory that was ~120,000 lower than mine. The range doesn't seem all that broad still, but it definitely doesn't seem to be a hard 50,000.

Anecdotally I'm starting to think the Sunbros do something at least somewhat significant in terms of broadening your range. Practically every fellow phantom I see at this point is also a Sunbro. White phantoms have gotten relatively rare by comparison.

That's hardly scientific, obviously. Just something I'm starting to notice.

That's good to hear. I was trying to coop with another gaffer and despite being within 10 levels of each other, we couldn't find each other. He was able to find my red soapstone though.
Getting really annoyed at Vestaldt. Not the boss itself, but the seven knights before him. Every time I want to fight the guy I have to go through and lure each and everyone out, wait for him to come out from behind his shield, then go about killing him. I don't know if they were thinking "Yea, this is Dark Souls, this'll be hard!" or something, but it's really annoying and a terrible padding strategy.
Kill the guy under the staircase by the bell, then just run past them all. You might take a bit of damage while you enter the fog gate, but running past guys is still as effective as ever.

Kill the guy under the staircase by the bell, then just run past them all. You might take a bit of damage while you enter the fog gate, but running past guys is still as effective as ever.

I know the bell guy, but when I try to run past I get to the fog gate, put my hand on it, and my character stands there and ponders the universe while the two halberd guy tear me to pieces.

Prototype

Dear Souls-GAF,

Join the champions covenant and use a bonfire asetic in Majula.

Hobohodo

Early Forrest of the Fallen Giants:
The game is starting to kick my ass, feel like I have played for longer than Demon/Dark to get to this point though I'm still not that far. I'm just after that part where some bird dropped a giant knight down on me, I got two hits on him and saw the puny damage I was doing so got off that platform. He seemed to disappear after that but I'm now worried about when he will turn up next. Anyway just further on from there you go down a ladder and there is a room with some crossbow traps that has like 3/4 enemies in. Even though there the normal enemies that have be in my way up to now having to deal with that many at once is proving difficult once they all gang up on me. I've levelled up my strength and dexterity a bit as I'm playing the Warrior so I guess at this point it's just a matter of learning the timing and parrying on the enemies? If anyone has some tips it's greatly appreciated!

That was easily my toughest test in the game so far, one that I didn't overcome, I ended up beating it without her surviving in the end after wasting 15+ effigies. I also co-op'd it for a bunch of people and saw her survive once out of 20+ attempts. She doesn't do much better against the Lost Sinner either. She's pretty useless in boss fights and it's just frustrating that you have to keep her alive during most of them to finish her questline.

I feel like I'm going to have to attempt that on a new character, there's no way she's surviving NG+ and further.

Though I wasn't using the ring that makes enemies lock onto you more, maybe that'd help.
Wait... What's her quest line?

Early Forrest of the Fallen Giants:
The game is starting to kick my ass, feel like I have played for longer than Demon/Dark to get to this point though I'm still not that far. I'm just after that part where some bird dropped a giant knight down on me, I got two hits on him and saw the puny damage I was doing so got off that platform. He seemed to disappear after that but I'm now worried about when he will turn up next. Anyway just further on from there you go down a ladder and there is a room with some crossbow traps that has like 3/4 enemies in. Even though there the normal enemies that have be in my way up to now having to deal with that many at once is proving difficult once they all gang up on me. I've levelled up my strength and dexterity a bit as I'm playing the Warrior so I guess at this point it's just a matter of learning the timing and parrying on the enemies? If anyone has some tips it's greatly appreciated!

You can just avoid some areas and come back when you're stronger. Also that dude is optional, so don't worry about it. That is not supposed to be a gauge of your strength. Just something crazy to experience.

Zeliard

Oh yeah, Vengarl is a great conversation at least, and GAVLAN WHEEL is at least pretty funny.

And what's with all the sardonic chuckling? It's like someone in From noted the reception to Lautrec's distinctive mocking laughter and decided "we're going to do this with everyone."

Level 135 and no where near done. I just can't stop helping people beat bosses. Too much fun, and certain ones gave me such a pain that I want to pay it back.

Also, being able to put my summons sign down when human is too cool!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm mostly refraining from making any real judgments about the game until I've played it more than once, but on the subject of NPCs I really love Benhart. Dude's got a legendary sword that he values more than his very life and it's been in his family for generations and legend says that someday someone will find a way to unleash its true power...
but that'll never happen because it's a counterfeit.

It's some fine pathos.

And what's with all the sardonic chuckling? It's like someone in From noted the reception to Lautrec's distinctive mocking laughter and decided "we're going to do this with everyone."

"I need to find some folks to gull... er, I'm here to aid the gullible.

Heh heh heh hehhhhhhhh."

ok

Random question - in Maluja, in the basement of the main house there's a frozen over section of the floor. On my first visit, the floor was bare. On my second, there was a tiny little flame burning on the ground. Couldn't interact with it or anything, but seemed odd and possibly significant. Any info?

It's a map of Drangleic. Didn't the NPC explain it?

sixghost

I'm mostly refraining from making any real judgments about the game until I've played it more than once, but on the subject of NPCs I really love Benhart. Dude's got a legendary sword that he values more than his very life and it's been in his family for generations and legend says that someday someone will find a way to unleash its true power...
but that'll never happen because it's a counterfeit.

It's some fine pathos.
Have you talked to him with the
Moonlight Greatsword
equipped? I wonder if there would be some special dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom