• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Great progress today. Levelled up to soul level 104, killed
Chariot, Rotten, Smelter Demon, The Pursuer Part Deux and Old Iron King
. Phew!

FaintDeftone

Alright so I could use a little advice.

So far I've taken out four bosses. The Last Giant, The Pursuer, Dragonrider and Old Dragonslayer. Right now I'm in No Man's Wharf and I'm really getting my ass kicked here. The problem is that those things with the long arms FUCK me up because they cause bleeding damage and they cause damage whether or not I block with my shield or not. I'm kind of lost in this area and I rang some bell and jumped on a ghost ship and got gang raped by a bunch of Mongolian looking dudes.

Should I man up and get through this area or try another area, like the Lost Bastille or something? If I need to stick to the Wharf, is there another bonfire fairly close that I'm missing or is it very far away and hard to reach?

Soriku

And what's with all the sardonic chuckling? It's like someone in From noted the reception to Lautrec's distinctive mocking laughter and decided "we're going to do this with everyone."

Dark Souls 1 was filled with a lot of chuckling. It wasn't just Lautrec.

Alright so I could use a little advice.

So far I've taken out four bosses. The Last Giant, The Pursuer, Dragonrider and Old Dragonslayer. Right now I'm in No Man's Wharf and I'm really getting my ass kicked here. The problem is that those things with the long arms FUCK me up because they cause bleeding damage and they cause damage whether or not I block with my shield or not. I'm kind of lost in this area and I rang some bell and jumped on a ghost ship and got gang raped by a bunch of Mongolian looking dudes.

Should I man up and get through this area or try another area, like the Lost Bastille or something? If I need to stick to the Wharf, is there another bonfire fairly close that I'm missing or is it very far away and hard to reach?

Perhaps try your torch while fighting them and see what happens.

And what's with all the sardonic chuckling? It's like someone in From noted the reception to Lautrec's distinctive mocking laughter and decided "we're going to do this with everyone."
Nearly everyone in DS had an evil laugh, though...even Solaire sounded creepy.

halfbeast

Banned
YAY!

I got rat-summoned in pharros while I was trying to open the door with the lockstones. but it already blacked out before the third piece could open up completely and now it's stuck. and the lockstone is already in the hole. how awesome is that!? I think it's SUPER AWESOME!

so fucking YAY!

Hobohodo

You can just avoid some areas and come back when you're stronger. Also that dude is optional, so don't worry about it. That is not supposed to be a gauge of your strength. Just something crazy to experience.

Ahh okay! Got to get it out of my head that I need to clear out an area as I go through it like I would in pretty much every other game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shaded Woods, for all it's ugliness, has been a breathe of fresh air. Multiple paths! Lots of hidden treasure! Weird mysteries!

Persona7

Banned
Fucking hell I'm bad at this game. 4h20mins and barely beat the first boss.

I know someone who quit the game because the first boss was too hard.

they fought the troll at the very start of the game and could not figure out what to do

Ferr986

Well, after deciding that no way im gonna try Sm Demon without a fire shield I headed to
Shaded Woods
because I remember reading theres a good fire shield past that area.
After crossing a
N64 like forest I reached a place where I can hear laughs from god knows where
, im too creeped out to continue so Ill leave it here for today lol

Early Forrest of the Fallen Giants:
The game is starting to kick my ass, feel like I have played for longer than Demon/Dark to get to this point though I'm still not that far. I'm just after that part where some bird dropped a giant knight down on me, I got two hits on him and saw the puny damage I was doing so got off that platform. He seemed to disappear after that but I'm now worried about when he will turn up next. Anyway just further on from there you go down a ladder and there is a room with some crossbow traps that has like 3/4 enemies in. Even though there the normal enemies that have be in my way up to now having to deal with that many at once is proving difficult once they all gang up on me. I've levelled up my strength and dexterity a bit as I'm playing the Warrior so I guess at this point it's just a matter of learning the timing and parrying on the enemies? If anyone has some tips it's greatly appreciated!
Those guys in the big crossbow room can't climb the ladder I don't think, so you can aggro them, run up the ladder and use a ranged attack to kill or weaked, plunging attack etc. Throwing knives are really good in this game, they actually do damage now, not just for splatting mosquitos!

Also shortcut spoiler:
The guy on the ledge where the Pursuer dropped down, you can use him to throw a firebomb at the black barrels in the corner and it will open a shortcut to the bonfire, just roll out of the way after he throws. Or throw your own firebomb.

Thanks for no spoiler tags

I'm noticing a lot of people dropping tags from boss/area names. Not sure if everyone had a meeting I wasn't privy to when they agreed to it.

I guess I don't mind - for the sake of discussion we have to stop eventually - but it's probably still too soon to start name-dropping mid-late game bosses.

Steel

Banned
Shaded Woods, for all it's ugliness, has been a breathe of fresh air. Multiple paths! Lots of hidden treasure! Weird mysteries!

Yeah....
Scared the shit outta me when I was crawling in the fog, heard a weird swinging noise and then got one shot backstabbed by thin air the first time I went thin though.

Zeliard

I'm mostly refraining from making any real judgments about the game until I've played it more than once, but on the subject of NPCs I really love Benhart. Dude's got a legendary sword that he values more than his very life and it's been in his family for generations and legend says that someday someone will find a way to unleash its true power...
but that'll never happen because it's a counterfeit.

It's some fine pathos.

I wonder how many players killed him instantly, as they gazed upon his sword with a gleam in their eye.

I don't remember it happening nearly to this extent, and it starts right off the bat with the cackling hags. It's not at all a big deal but I did find it a bit goofy. :p

Yep, that was solid. I liked that zone. Might be my favorite one in the game so far, actually.

I also have to say I quite liked
The Gutter
. Sure it's a bit lazy in that it's
Blighttown redux
, but then I also enjoyed how foreboding
Blighttown
was, and it was a similar feel here. And the torch was actually helpful! It was neat to navigate that area with one. Wish there'd been more of that in the game.

Maybesew

So I talked to Galvan in no man's wharf, but never saw him anywhere else, and then was expecting him in pharos door. Did I miss him?

Just killed
Orenstein, sorry.. Old Dragon Slayer.. cool fight, was not expecting that! :)
Is it worth joining the Covenant straight after him? I am in the first one still at the moment.

Mindlog

Bahaha, again.

In the mood for jolly co-op I dropped my sign in front of (early mid-game optional boss)
Smelter Demon
. There were two gold phantoms so it promised to be an easy ride. Host was having none of that. The host drops down and starts making for the real boss of the level. I had never ventured too far beyond the previously mentioned boss bonfire. The other phantom misses a jump and we leave it behind swimming in lava. The path to that final bonfire is hilarious. It was the first time I had taken it and I couldn't stop laughing at all the obstacles. Host summons another white phantom before we enter the fog gate.

Absolutely destroyed it. Between +9 club of 'Good Day Sir' and a crappy tower shield I took very little damage and hammered the crap out of it when given the opportunity. Sunlight Medal +1.

Is curse cured passively? I got cursed fighting an enemy in the same area, but it seems like my health is fine again.

Also shortcut spoiler:
The guy on the ledge where the Pursuer dropped down, you can use him to throw a firebomb at the black barrels in the corner and it will open a shortcut to the bonfire, just roll out of the way after he throws. Or throw your own firebomb.

Mind=Blown

After another, later, area opening in this way, I need to pay closer attention to the placement of those things.

chunk3rvd

Is the lag when bringing up the item menu (PS3) something that can be patched out? I love watching high level PVP players switch shit out on the fly like red tearstone when their health gets low. Wouldn't want to try it in this game though. Sometimes I hit start and it takes a few seconds for the menu to appear :/

I can tell you I'm not responsible for the thread title if that's what you're thinking.

lol, no, didn't want to make it sound like an accusation. OT titles are supposed to be jokes anyway.

Is the lag when bringing up the item menu (PS3) something that can be patched out? I love watching high level PVP players switch shit out on the fly like red tearstone when their health gets low. Wouldn't want to try it in this game though. Sometimes I hit start and it takes a few seconds for the menu to appear :/
Easily the most annoying thing about the game. You push start and your menu doesn't pop up, you push it again thinking your last button press didn't register which cancels the process of opening the menu, rinse and repeat. Some of the technical issues of the PS3 version have basically cemented my desire to double dip on PC.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Have you talked to him with the
Moonlight Greatsword
equipped? I wonder if there would be some special dialogue.

There doesn't seem to be any special dialogue, unfortunately. Though I only tried talking to him with it when I was already basically done with the game. Not sure if there's some point in time where he can comment on it.

As sort of a cute note, though, there are actually several differences between the fake and the real deal that are hard to notice unless you compare them side-by-side. The fake one really does look kinda cheap.

Maybesew

Mind=Blown

After another, later, area opening in this way, I need to pay closer attention to the placement of those things.

What's crazy is that I actually had this happen to me on my very first playthru attempt in the area completely by accident. So I've always been surprised when I see streams or people that aren't aware of it.

I feel like there are experiences like that thru every dark souls playthru.

Gorillaz

but....he was the best one!

13881%20-%20animated_gif%20carim%20dark_souls%20laughing%20lautrec.gif

edit: bad link :/

"The Ghostbusters II of Dark Souls" is probably the most accurate title.

If you're going to quote this and argue that you really loved Ghostbusters 2, stop and think for a minute and you'll realize how correct this is

What's crazy is that I actually had this happen to me on my very first playthru attempt in the area completely by accident. So I've always been surprised when I see streams or people that aren't aware of it.

Same here. Watching a couple LP's and apparently it's a real bitch to reproduce on purpose. Such is the way of things.

For me, enemies placed to trigger such things are always killed with arrows before they can fulfill their roles.

mellow

I liked Lucatiel of Mirrah, although at some point I basically lost her storyline. There's a good number of NPCs, but not many of them are memorable - kinda like the game itself, I suppose.

she's probably my favourite NPC along with the talking cat (love that voice), but yeah, that's not saying much, I greatly prefer the NPC's in dark souls so far, and I'm nearly done

and regarding lucatiel, without looking it up or getting insanely lucky I don't see how following her story would be possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom