• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

This famitsu reviewer knows what's he's talking about and I completely agree with the bolded part even when I haven't played the game yet.

They also fixed the enemy placement which was a major flaw in the original Dark Souls. Most enemies were wrongly placed like animatronics that would only react if you got close enough to them. I disliked that a lot.

From what I've heard and seen, a lot of enemies still do that. I'm not sure to what extent they've changed it though.

2AdEPT

Equip burden is the most obvious reason. Although 6 slots sound nice you'll probably need to invest in vitality to carry everything comfortably. The base equip burden you start out with is pretty low.

Yeah I have a feeling that character will start with knives and work their way up slowly. That said, I embrace the speed and maneuverability so much that I know I will be pigging out on adaptability and vitality right out of the gate with whatever starting class I choose. I may not even take swordsman for my dual wielder, Explorer actually has the most adaptability out of the gate and some cool starting equipment and I may mold that character into my daul wielder. Absolutely love the flexibility aspect and will be stretching the limits of decorum with my crazy "break from the norm" antics once again! The road less traveled is usually more fun in souls.

Thank the Lords of Drangleic that can finally put to rest the "suggested" path for noobs idea this time around ...at least I hope.

Garcia

From what I've heard and seen, a lot of enemies still do that. I'm not sure to what extent they've changed it though.

That's a shame to read although not a game breaker for me if they actually cared to strategically place most of the enemies in the world. The original DS had some parts that clearly showed FS didn't give a shit about immersion at all. Badly placed animatronics every-fucking-where.

MilkBeard

That's a shame to read although not a game breaker for me if they actually cared to strategically place most of the enemies in the world. The original DS had some parts that clearly showed FS didn't give a shit about immersion at all. Badly placed animatronics every-fucking-were.

It's possible that FromSoft could have made them move around more, but if you think about it, there is some strategy to the archaic design of having the enemies stand there and react to you. It's almost like pieces on a chessboard, and you want to be careful not to aggro certain enemies while fighting others. There's positives and negatives to the design.

EDIT: Perhaps they've made it a little bit more natural in DSII, as I've heard that certain enemies have different ways they appear in the area. But some of the standard hollow-human types seem to just stand there until you aggro them, as well as some others I've seen. I know that the placement does change though, like if you kill enemies a certain number of times in any particular area.

Garcia

It's possible that FromSoft could have made them move around more, but if you think about it, there is some strategy to the archaic design of having the enemies stand there and react to you. It's almost like pieces on a chessboard, and you want to be careful not to aggro certain enemies while fighting others. There's positives and negatives to the design.

I agree to an extent and it's funny that you mention the chessboard because there were specific parts of the original DS that made me feel like I was actually playing a strategy game. I can (unfortunately) count those moments with the fingers of one hand; most of the time I didn't feel challenged but forced to fight the same copy pasted enemies ad nauseam.

It all boils down to how well you place those pieces from the beginning and it seems like DS2 fixes this issue to some extent.

Any idea on how far that Kenneth guy got? When I left he was at 200+ deaths and about halfway?

All in all I love what I saw, Seems it will cater to both Demons/Dark souls fans, I'd say it's more Demons from the vibe of it, Looks better visually than both, And there is a lot going on in every area.

Just bemused as to what class to go with.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me, or does it look like Iframes during backstabs are still in?
There are still I-frames, it's just a smaller window than before. You can get hit out of the beginning of the animation (all backstabs are 2-step now), and possibly the end.

MilkBeard

I've seen screen tearing mentioned a few times on the 360 version, has anyone noticed this on ps3?

A few people have mentioned that they didn't notice any on PS3, but the verdict is still out until we get a clear confirmation, like a PS3 stream or someone keeps a lookout for it. So far so good, though.

bigmac996

Just wondering, but is anyone actually going to use those preorder bonus weapons? They're hidden in the game already so it seems like a cheat to have them all available from the get-go, and ruins the thrill of finding em yourself.

Garcia

Just wondering, but is anyone actually going to use those preorder bonus weapons? They're hidden in the game already so it seems like a cheat to have them all available from the get-go, and ruins the thrill of finding em yourself.

It depends. I won't be using them from the get go since I want to explore the new improved mechanics of the regular weapon drops. If I, however, reach a frustrating brick wall, then I'll start to look at the bonus ones and their attributes just to see if they might help me to overcome certain obstacles. Those are cheat code weapons after all.

Seems like weapons are more prone to break now so it might actually make sense to be carrying several of the same kind or a variety that fits your fighting style.

Brohan

One streamer got to level 84 and only found 2 of the consumable items that let you respec. Take that how you will, I'm thinking there's probably less than 5 in the game.

Thanks, do you think
You can find them again in ng+?

If so, it would probably be enough for me.

Thanks for the replies guys.

TnK

Are the graphical differences the pics for PC vs PS3/360? Really hope that the final game does not differ so much from the previews.

MilkBeard

It depends. I won't be using them from the get go since I want to explore the new improved mechanics of the regular weapon drops. If I, however, reach a frustrating brick wall, then I'll start to look at the bonus ones and their attributes just to see if they might help me to overcome certain obstacles. Those are cheat code weapons after all.

Seems like weapons are more prone to break now so it might actually make sense to be carrying several of the same kind or a variety that fits your fighting style.

I was wondering myself how I'd go about it but I think this is the best way. I won't utilize them unless I absolutely need to, to get out of being stuck. I'm sure at some point they'll become useless anyway, unless they stuck some high stat requirement weapon in there.

Garcia

I was wondering myself how I'd go about it but I think this is the best way. I won't utilize them unless I absolutely need to, to get out of being stuck. I'm sure at some point they'll become useless anyway, unless they stuck some high stat requirement weapon in there.

I remember some jap players mentioned that the attributes of the cheat weapons aren't much different from some of the equivalent regular/rare enemy drops. They're not overpowered, it's just that those weapons have some upgrades that aren't available until you reach a blacksmith or find a particular ember.

Seems fair enough to leave those as a last resort just to improve the first run of the game under certain circumstances.

BRKsEDU

Neo Member
A few gaf users have review copies of the PS3 version. One of them said he hasn't noticed any screen tearing yet.

No screen tearing on the PS3 version. Nothing at all. Note that sometimes tearing is caused by the capture card / streaming, and is not in the game itself (though usually it IS in the game).

Astral

Man I really hate the bandit's starting gear. Hopefully you cam change to something better early on. I wanna start with a bow and high dexterity.

Given how much more popular the Souls series has gotten since the PC release, what are the chances the servers can actually handle the launch day onslaught?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom