• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I am kind of liking the starting stats of the good old warrior. Seems pretty balanced across the board.

warrior.gif
He's definitely a jack of all trades, but master of none. A safe choice for a beginner or first run.

Chitown B

I'm afraid I won't have DS1 done by Tues. I'm almost to the end, but there's still a bunch of stuff I need to grab and collect before I flip to NG+

I'm very torn between starting a cleric and heading down str/faith like I did in my first ever Dark Souls playthrough, or going str/dex quality build like I tend to play Dark Souls lately (I enjoy longswords a lot lately, honestly. quite an excellent weapon when cranked up in a quality build)

Everyone's going to be rolling dex or quality builds in the coming weeks - join the ranks of the faithful with me!

Supposedly maces are really good in DS2 and there are some badass greatswords in the game.

One of my favorite weapon types finally getting some representation? What have you heard?

Kieli

He's definitely a jack of all trades, but master of none. A safe choice for a beginner or first run.

Dudes and dudettes have been skipping leg-day. Good god knows I do not want to see them wearing Artorias' swag threads. Them twigs would break faster than a speeding train through a mountain fire on a sunny day in West Virginia.

Randam

Btw the streams are not hyping me at all.
Visuals look boring, walking animation looks weird and I don't know if it is the people playing, but combat looks different too.

Idk.
And the backstab animation for curved swords is the worst.

I still want the game as soon as possible, but I really hope it'll deliver.

ironcreed

Banned

Oh, I am definitely not a beginner or new to the series having been there since I imported Demon's Souls back in early '09. I just prefer starting stats that do not veer too heavily in one direction, while leaving too much weakness in another. I always gravitated towards hunter and usually went sword (or axe) and board, a bow and just a little magic for back up. I like fast and balanced builds.

Footos22

Everyone's going to be rolling dex or quality builds in the coming weeks - join the ranks of the faithful with me!

One of my favorite weapon types finally getting some representation? What have you heard?

I'll be faithing it up as well.
Tore through darksouls with faithbuild with zweihander. No shields just pound town.

Neolith

I haven't heard much people disuss the music but I hope the music has that "oh god what the fuck is coming to kill me?" Vibe still

feel

I got a feeling this won't be as good as DaS.
It would shock me if it was, DkS is just that incredible to me in most aspects plus a bunch of the new design decisions seem bad on paper. We'll see. No doubt it'll still be better than 99% of the other stuff out there though and that's more than one should ask hehe.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The OST is still on point you can listen to most of the OST on youtube. 41 tracks uploaded it seems.

Bulzeeb

Hi guys, I am not sure if this should go in here but I think it's my best bet, I heard that gmg was having a promo for preordering and I also have a $5 discount from amazon for the game but I have a latin america steam account and I saw that the game has some kind of region lock so will I be able to redeem the gmg or amazon key without any trouble or should I buy it directly from steam because of the region lock.

Thanks in advance

Visceir

Saw one guy using it and it had a good moveset, fast swings and staggered enemies (a boss) a lot, seemed quite OP. There's was also an
enchanted
mace that you can easily find at just the right spot. Didn't see what the attack scaled with but if it's with faith then that would prob be a neat weapon for clerics.

Saw one guy using it and it had a good moveset, fast swings and staggered enemies (a boss) a lot, seemed quite OP. There's was also an
enchanted
mace that you can easily find at just the right spot. Didn't see what the attack scaled with but if it's with faith then that would prob be a neat weapon for clerics.

Very cool, thanks. Always like it when a class's starting weapon evolves to one of the best weapons in the game, like the longsword in the first Dark Souls.

Audioboxer

I'm very torn between starting a cleric and heading down str/faith like I did in my first ever Dark Souls playthrough, or going str/dex quality build like I tend to play Dark Souls lately (I enjoy longswords a lot lately, honestly. quite an excellent weapon when cranked up in a quality build)

I want to experience at least some of the magic on my first playthrough. So I'll be int/dex or str/faith.

It really depends on whether there are some more offensive based faith spells this time around.

Don't want to read any guides but the miracles I will be checking up on.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Oh, I am definitely not a beginner or new to the series having been there since I imported Demon's Souls back in early '09. I just prefer starting stats that do not veer too heavily in one direction, while leaving too much weakness in another. I always gravitated towards hunter and usually went sword (or axe) and board, a bow and just a little magic for back up. I like fast and balanced builds.
I can appreciate that. It helps to be able to accommodate to any situation on the fly. The purpose of heavily skewed stats is for veterans who already know what play style they will chose to play most of the game. Dexterity build for example will never be the type to wield heavy armor and will only use shields if necessary, preferring to dodge most of the time.
Dudes and dudettes have been skipping leg-day. Good god knows I do not want to see them wearing Artorias' swag threads. Them twigs would break faster than a speeding train through a mountain fire on a sunny day in West Virginia.
This is made no sense to me but is hilarious nonetheless. And I both expect and anticipate a lot of crazy blue-skin bug-head crazy looking characters to pop up in multiplayer like always.

DARK SPIRIT ADORING FAN HAS INVADED

1SuaN.jpg

ShogunX

He's wrong. It runs fine. The only problem I've seen on streams is screen tearing and that's been confirmed by the streamers to be caused by capture cards.

Unless by runs like a dog he means it doesn't run at 60fps locked.

The game tears like crazy on the 360. Nothing to do with capture cards or anything else, watched the game being played last night in person and like I said it was some of the worst tearing I have seen since Darksiders.

Somebody has mentioned an 85mb patch being available today but I'm not sure what that does.

I'm not going to mess with magic at all on my first run so I'm thinking Bandit will be the way to go. It has the least levels wasted in Intelligence, Faith, and Attunement. More Dexterity than Strength is also a plus, as well as solid Vigor, Endurance, and Vitality. Only major weaknesses I see are Adaptability should that prove to be a useful stat, as well as the low magic defense that'll come with low Intelligence.

Raxus

Quick question. I assume when the full game is released we can discuss milestones here with tags and discuss everything in the spoiler thread untagged.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What kind of character will you guys and girls be making in terms of character creation design? I usually go for a pre-set my first time around just so I can go straight for the gameplay, but I might spend some more time on my later builds to make something unique. I usually go for female characters or if male choose a slim build, since the best armor sets only looked good in Dark Souls 1 when using that physical body type.

maS2UyW.jpg

Dogalo wants ur souls.

Still haven't watch a single stream and the urge to do so just isn't there. I've got this.... We've got this fellow none stream watching breathren!

Going cleric as well. Especially love all the team buffs this time around, can't wait to mess around in with the multiplayer as a helpful spirit.

Actually mace was pretty good when leveled up in DS as well, good base damage and strength A in scaling. DS2 mace seems faster though.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Looks like he praised the sun too long and his face started to melt.

Also I can't even imagine how horrifying that looks when hollow.

I want to experience at least some of the magic on my first playthrough. So I'll be int/dex or str/faith.

It really depends on whether there are some more offensive based faith spells this time around.

Don't want to read any guides but the miracles I will be checking up on.

Given that lightning now scales with faith I'd be shocked if there weren't any lightning-based offensive miracles.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm not going to mess with magic at all on my first run so I'm thinking Bandit will be the way to go. It has the least levels wasted in Intelligence, Faith, and Attunement. More Dexterity than Strength is also a plus, as well as solid Vigor, Endurance, and Vitality. Only major weakness I see is Adaptability should that prove to be a useful stat, as well as the low magic defense that'll come with low Faith/Intelligence.

Adaptability seems to be tied to movement speed, so I am going to have to pay a good deal of attention to leveling that up early and often. I have narrowed it down to warrior or bandit.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Amazon just sent me an email saying that my order won't be arriving until the 13th. I'm going to cancel and just go out and buy it from Walmart or something.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
did it previously say it'd be earlier?

No. It was always estimated that it would be the 13th, but they just finally confirmed that date. People here were getting updates from Amazon that they were going to get theirs on the 11th so I was holding out hope that it would be the same for me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Jackben said:
jack of all trades,
master of none.
safe choice for beginners.
or for a first run.
You had a beautiful poem there if you just reworded it a little :p
Release date soon
only few more naps
i'll narc on a stream
then get some snacks.

Black hole in my schedule
punch hole in my wall
this game makes me rage
but dark souls is all

praise da sun.

Amazon just sent me an email saying that my order won't be arriving until the 13th. I'm going to cancel and just go out and buy it from Walmart or something.
Are you on prime? If so your order might have defaulted to the free 2 day shipping. If you check the shipping details you might be able to change it to 1 day shipping and you should get a confirmation that it will arrive on Tuesday. I had the same thing (amazon saying 13th as delivery date) but I was able to switch it over and now it says "by end of day" March 11th.

Mupod

Well, I told myself that if my copy hadn't shipped by around this time today I'd cancel my preorder and go with PSN, and it seems it finally has. You win this time future shop.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
@stream-watchers, what are your thoughts on the ability to respec, and the new fast-travel system?

Answers in spoiler tags if necessary :)

The item is a rare drop consumable. I'm fine with it and the new fast travel system reminds me of Demon's Souls so its cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom