• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Jackben said, definitely too much praising of the sun. Maybe that's why Solaire always wears a helmet?

Nope, Solaire's dreamy as fuck.

1347215377347.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
I just realized that the game isn't coming out on the 11th here, but on the 14th.
Fuuuuuuuuuck me :(

Ah yes, the benefits of being a European hollow, where games continue to release three days after our US brethren for no reason other than to be a jerk.

I feel your pain.

Randam

Still don't know if I will start with a quality or dex int build.

Am doing a run with a dex int build right now in dark souls 1, so I tend to quality.

But dex int is pretty fun too.

nynt9

@stream-watchers, what are your thoughts on the ability to respec, and the new fast-travel system?

Answers in spoiler tags if necessary :)

Fast travel makes it a lot smoother from what it seems. If you get stuck in one area, just go to another one and try to make progress there. Keeps the flow of the game alive.

gunderic

Neo Member
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere else, but I have bad news for anyone who hasn't yet received a delivery estimate from Amazon.

After not receiving a delivery estimate, I started to worry, so I emailed Amazon this morning to find out what was up. ONLY THEN did they notify me that the item is on BACK ORDER!!!! So, unfortunately, it seems that many of us who pre-ordered from Amazon and have not received a delivery estimate will be out of luck for who knows how long.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Cheers

How many points does the respec item allow you to reallocate? Any word on whether there can be more than 1 drop per playthrough?

Everything and you can find it more than once but it is a rare drop. Some dude who is level 80ish has 2

I haven't been following this game too closely (I want to know very little going in) but looking at the stats I see now that Faith and Intelligence affect Lightning and Fire attack power. Crazy!

It looks like they've done a very good job this time around of making almost every stat useful to every build, at least more than the last time around. This is all based on what we see on paper though, practice may show different results.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Will this be available as a download on the 360 (from day 1)? My drive only reads half of the discs I put in so I don't want to risk it. So either a digital copy for me or I need to get it fixed asap.

Fhtagn

I hope the respec item has a secondary use so those who don't want to use it have a reason to be happy about finding one. Like firekeeper souls, which are still useful after the first hour of NG+ because they have another use...

TheMink

What I heard:
Mats simplified into one type of titanite, gaining access to an upgrade path lets you start as many weapons as you want on that path just by paying souls.

Good riddance, I say. There are lots of things that make Dark Souls intense and unique, but farming isn't one of them.

Yeah I'm pretty much ok with this, but farming is pretty cool to me even so. Hope there is something i can farm for :p

As long as its not bladestone ;_;

shaneskim

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere else, but I have bad news for anyone who hasn't yet received a delivery estimate from Amazon.

After not receiving a delivery estimate, I started to worry, so I emailed Amazon this morning to find out what was up. ONLY THEN did they notify me that the item is on BACK ORDER!!!! So, unfortunately, it seems that many of us who pre-ordered from Amazon and have not received a delivery estimate will be out of luck for who knows how long.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Which country?

Grinchy

Banned
Damn it I'm getting so hyped. I was going to hold out
for the PS4 version
but I couldn't resist getting the game while I was off of school for a week. I watched a few minutes of the stream when I didn't think I'd be buying it but I haven't seen much. I saw just enough to trust that this is going to be awesome.

I know nothing about the starting classes or the stats. I think I'll go in completely blind and try to make up a class from there. My first run of a Souls game is always pretty crappy and unbalanced, anyway.

Randam

Fast travel makes it a lot smoother from what it seems. If you get stuck in one area, just go to another one and try to make progress there. Keeps the flow of the game alive.
Destroys a essences of the series.
Getting stuck in depths/blighttown, or catacombs/tomb of giants, or ash lake and having to fight your way out were things that made dark souls the great game it is.

Orayn

Getting stuck in depths/blighttown, or catacombs/tomb of giants, or ash lake and having to fight your way out were things that made dark souls the great game it is.

Shit, Demon's Souls destroyed the essence of the series before it even had an essence! RIP

I haven't been following this game too closely (I want to know very little going in) but looking at the stats I see now that Faith and Intelligence affect Lightning and Fire attack power. Crazy!

It looks like they've done a very good job this time around of making almost every stat useful to every build, at least more than the last time around. This is all based on what we see on paper though, practice may show different results.

I mostly like that they've cut down on non-scaling damage. That'll force people to specialize in something instead of letting lightning/fire/chaos do all the work.

Kieli

On the one hand, it's valid to say you can just ignore the feature. On the other hand, it's also valid to worry whether such an inclusion would affect the balance or design decisions (i.e. they get lazy and just incentivize warping).

I'll have to trust the new directors to get it right. I wish we still had Miyazaki though. That man understood.

I mostly like that they've cut down on non-scaling damage. That'll force people to specialize in something instead of letting lightning/fire/chaos do all the work.
I agree, it seems a little more consistent than what we saw in the original. I know I'll want at least one fully upgraded normal path weapon but I guess I should probably have at least one elemental weapon as well... Choices, choices.

The fact that I'm already thinking this much about my choices in the game before it's even released is just another testament to how great this series is.

Orayn

The funny thing is that Tomb of the Giants is the only place listed in that post where you can really get "stuck." Both of Blighttown's bonfires are fairly close to a way out of the area, and the Catacombs' only bonfire was close to the entrance.

I get where you're coming from but archstones =/= bonfires. The latter is far more prevalent.

True, but most areas in Dark Souls that have more than one or two bonfires do so out of necessity because they're less linear than Demon's Souls' worlds.

ZeroRay

I for one, am glad this is more of a Demon's Souls 2 than Dark Souls was.

Never could really get into the first Dark Souls.

Randam

Shit, Demon's Souls destroyed the essence of the series before it even had an essence! RIP
Demon's wasn't open world like dark souls.
And the levels were pretty big before you found a shortcut.

But okay, series was the wrong word.

And yeah you can ignore it. Question is if there will still be situation were you could ignore it.

BearPawB

Banned
And yeah you can ignore it. Question is if there will still be situation were you could ignore it.

I get the feeling I will still want to travel by foot, just to make sure I don't miss anything. So i can see a situation where i say, "i could fast travel, but I am not going to, i want to explore a bit more"

But it will be nice if you need to level up, or to upgrade a weapon to be able to skip the BS and just go to where you need to go.

Brohan

The funny thing is that Tomb of the Giants is the only place listed in that post where you can really get "stuck." Both of Blighttown's bonfires are fairly close to a way out of the area, and the Catacombs' only bonfire was close to the entrance.

True, but most areas in Dark Souls that have more than one or two bonfires do so out of necessity because they're less linear than Demon's Souls' worlds.

Catacombs had 2 bonfires.

Orayn

Ahh there are two of them.

Wow. I never actually knew about that illusory wall until I watched a YouTube video just now, and I've been playing Dark Souls fairly consistently since it came out.

Then again, I also hate the catacombs and tend to spend as little time there as possible.

Demon's wasn't open world like dark souls.
And the levels were pretty big before you found a shortcut.

But okay, series was the wrong word.

I'm not saying to ignore it, I'm saying we need to view warping and bonfires in the context of the whole game before we conclude that it's 2EZ Skyrim shit that killed everything we hold dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom