• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Adds to invasion list*
i3NAGUYUCPWdE.gif

How can anyone be that cruel?

Eyothrie

If I got the $40 GMG deal, will I be able to get the preorder weapons? OP reads as if I needed to preorder directly from Steam

Gorillaz

I really hope they invasions are more fair, less buggy and not latency crippled this time around. Couple of months ago I tried playing DS1 (on PC) with a new character and I got invaded almost immediately after unhollowing, just about every time. The only exceptions were when the invader failed to connect, that would give me couple of minutes of free time. Although bonfires didn't work when they were attempting to connect so... That alone would be very annoying but the fact that so many invaders were lagging, warping, getting backstabs in even though they were way in front of me made it even worse. Then there were few nearly invincible guys that lost maybe 2% of their health bar if I got some good solid hits in. Didn't feel very fair or balanced. Game balance is quite important if you are going to force everyone into PvP. All in all, absolutely miserable experience and I quit that character less than ten hours into the game. If that had been my first character, I wouldn't be waiting for DS2 at all. Nor would I have played Demon's Souls while waiting for DS2. Actually I never got invaded at all during my NG+ run either, it's almost as if people were trolling the early game players only.

I know many people love the invasions and abus.. using every possible mechanic in the game to their advantage but for a lot of people the invasions are rarely fun. I mean feel free to hate my post but at the very least I hope the latency issues are fixed so that people from international space station with 56Kbps modems aren't trying to connect into my game making it impossible to ever touch them.
Well your in luck this time.

Because invasions are shit this time so is PvP

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is that a theme invasion as an Anor Londo archer, positioned just after someone would have defeated the actual anor londo archers? That's brilliant!

No. Its actually before the tight little bridge that takes you to those 2. You can pretty much easily knock out people there cause I say about 75% tend to go to the right side instead of the left side of that area in my experience. (Yep I have done evil deeds there and Tomb of Giants)

Moongazer

I really hope they invasions are more fair, less buggy and not latency crippled this time around. Couple of months ago I tried playing DS1 (on PC) with a new character and I got invaded almost immediately after unhollowing, just about every time. The only exceptions were when the invader failed to connect, that would give me couple of minutes of free time. Although bonfires didn't work when they were attempting to connect so... That alone would be very annoying but the fact that so many invaders were lagging, warping, getting backstabs in even though they were way in front of me made it even worse. Then there were few nearly invincible guys that lost maybe 2% of their health bar if I got some good solid hits in. Didn't feel very fair or balanced. Game balance is quite important if you are going to force everyone into PvP. All in all, absolutely miserable experience and I quit that character less than ten hours into the game. If that had been my first character, I wouldn't be waiting for DS2 at all. Nor would I have played Demon's Souls while waiting for DS2. Actually I never got invaded at all during my NG+ run either, it's almost as if people were trolling the early game players only.

I know many people love the invasions and abus.. using every possible mechanic in the game to their advantage but for a lot of people the invasions are rarely fun. I mean feel free to hate my post but at the very least I hope the latency issues are fixed so that people from international space station with 56Kbps modems aren't trying to connect into my game making it impossible to ever touch them.
You'll rarely get invaded on your first playthrough in DS2 now so I wouldn't worry too much.

Hypron

ixCa4Y1NOrM1L.gif

Deprived is the manliest way to start

Yeah man. My first playthrough on the console version was as a deprived (and I accidentally joined the covenant of the champions at the beginning of the game). Needless to say, the beginning of the game manned me up. It was actually the hardest part of the game by far haha.

The backstep move was incredibly useful against enemies at the beginning of the game when you don't have a shield and very little stamina.

Why does GRS hit for more than Sunlight Spear? Not really complaining, but seems kind of weird that a spell you can acquire pretty early in the game hits for more than a spell that is the 3rd rank in a covenant reward and requires 55 faith. The requirements for GRS are way less demanding. I hope they don't nerf it, but I bet they will. Seems a bit OP for me. But be what Flame Swathe was like before the nerf.

Oh, I have 30 INT/46 Faith, and I'm using +5 Dark Chime of Want/+10 Lightning Priest's Chime. I have the Dragon Chime but I need a few more levels to use it.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Will my GTX 480 and i5-3570k be able to hit 60 fps @ 1080p? It's an old card, but a good cpu, just wondering.

JLeack

Banned
I just accidentally made a Conan 'o Brien look-alike.

I swear he looks nothing like he did in character creation...

aravuus

Will my GTX 480 and i5-3570k be able to hit 60 fps @ 1080p? It's an old card, but a good cpu, just wondering.

People have been saying it runs great on modest computers too and I believe GTX480 is still a very competent card, so most likely you'll be fine

Why does GRS hit for more than Sunlight Spear? Not really complaining, but seems kind of weird that a spell you can acquire pretty early in the game hits for more than a spell that is the 3rd rank in a covenant reward and requires 55 faith. The requirements for GRS are way less demanding. I hope they don't nerf it, but I bet they will. Seems a bit OP for me. But be what Flame Swathe was like before the nerf.

Oh, I have 30 INT/46 Faith, and I'm using +5 Dark Chime of Want/+10 Lightning Priest's Chime. I have the Dragon Chime but I need a few more levels to use it.

Hexes could definitely use a bit of a nerf. I hit someone with a GRS for ~1500 damage last night.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
People have been saying it runs great on modest computers too and I believe GTX480 is still a very competent card, so most likely you'll be fine

Far Cry 3 ran pretty well on the card, so I hope Dark Souls 2 runs amazingly.

Persona7

Banned

iIFrqBh.gif

I can't wait

masterkajo

It's 100% a no go.

Just to tease you guys a bit, the game looks outstanding in the area where you spawn. Get hyped.

So I bought that DS4 for nothing? I better return in to amazon before they don't take it back then. DS3 should work fine though, IIRC, Durante said he was using it.

JLeack

Banned
So I bought that DS4 for nothing? I better return in to amazon before they don't take it back then. DS3 should work fine though, IIRC, Durante said he was using it.

I suspect the DS3 and Xbox 360 controllers are fine.

Don't take my word for it, but I tried to figure out how to get my DS4 working on here for about 30 minutes, and I'm tech savvy.

antitrop

PSA: Yeah guys. If you're planning on playing with a controller, I don't think the DualShock 4 works. I don't have a PS3 anymore so I have to play with K&M.

Fuck my life. I'm going to cancel my pre-order until the controller works. DS4 is the only controller I have and I'm not playing this on a Mouse/Keyboard.

impact

Banned
Fuck my life. I'm going to cancel my pre-order until the controller works. DS4 is the only controller I have and I'm not playing this on a Mouse/Keyboard.

I wouldn't believe that tbh. DS4tool makes the DS4 turn into a 360 pad, and 360 pad is supported.

antitrop

I wouldn't believe that tbh. DS4tool makes the DS4 turn into a 360 pad, and 360 pad is supported.
I couldn't get the DS4 to work with Resident Evil 4 HD (or Resident Evil 6, for that matter). It's not always a sure thing.

Every other game I've tried has worked flawlessly, though. Even Dark Souls 1.

JLeack

Banned

I will gladly Google Hangouts with you and share my screen as I try to get it to work. Trust me. I tested that my DS4 was working in Hotline Miami then went over to Dark Souls 2 and NOTHING.

aravuus

I couldn't get the DS4 to work with Resident Evil 4 HD (or Resident Evil 6, for that matter). It's not always a sure thing.

Yeah, I've had zero problems and I've already played tons with the DS4, so I'm gonna stay optimistic

sikkinixx

Just got a $50 steam card from EBgames... I was gonna wait for a sale but I dunno if I can hold out. My 460GTX is a bit hurting but.... arggggggh I wanna give this game a legit shot without being annoyed by poor frame rates and ugly graphics.

gotoadgo

Where's the cheapest place to pre order this game right now? I would have preordered from g2play back when they were having a crazy good price on it but I didn't have any money.

Tecl0n

Where's the cheapest place to pre order this game right now? I would have preordered from g2play back when they were having a crazy good price on it but I didn't have any money.

If you don't have playfire rewards. Nuuvem's base price is around 38U$S.

onionfrog

So what class are you guys going to start with? I went Pyromancer in DS and ended with some sort of End/Dex build.
I'm not quite sure which class I'll start with, but I do know what sort of character I want to build for my first playthrough. I'm going to go with a dexterity build like I've done in every other souls game. Light Armor, Light/Medium Shield, a quick slashing type of sword and a Longbow! I love playing that sort of build. Even in Demon's souls when I went with a Dexterity build not knowing that Pure Bladestone was one of the rarest drops in the game. :/
No. Its actually before the tight little bridge that takes you to those 2. You can pretty much easily knock out people there cause I say about 75% tend to go to the right side instead of the left side of that area in my experience. (Yep I have done evil deeds there and Tomb of Giants)
Ha! That's good! I bet right around the corner from the rightmost archer would also be a great place to troll people.

Garcia

Just got a $50 steam card from EBgames... I was gonna wait for a sale but I dunno if I can hold out. My 460GTX is a bit hurting but.... arggggggh I wanna give this game a legit shot without being annoyed by poor frame rates and ugly graphics.

You will definitely be able to run it on the lowest settings (probably some mid). Have you checked Can You RUN it yet? Highly advisable.

Reposting from the PC Gamer article thread since I didn't get an answer there:

Are the controller mappings customizable this time? Having sprint on a face button has always been really unfortunate, since it makes you unable to use the camera. I used a profile to switch B and RB for the first game, but that made menus awkward. I hope I don't have to do that again.

Also, totally going Deprived for my first run.

Orayn

Reposting from the PC Gamer article thread since I didn't get an answer there:

Are the controller mappings customizable this time? Having sprint on a face button has always been really unfortunate, since it makes you unable to use the camera. I used a profile to switch B and RB for the first game, but that made menus awkward. I hope I don't have to do that again.

Also, totally going Deprived for my first run.

No word on remapping controller stuff, but I can already think of single workaround: Use Xpadder or something like that to bind L3/left stick click to the keyboard command for toggle sprint. It would work if you use classic jumping controls and the game accepts keyboard and controller inputs at the same time.

Yeah, while it's usually reliable, there are those rare cases of it not working correctly. I actually had issues with Dark Souls along with RE4HD. Tried remapping through the wrapper but kept getting the A button command defaulting as the O button on my DS4. I ended up just switching back to my 360 controller.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I suspect the DS3 and Xbox 360 controllers are fine.

Don't take my word for it, but I tried to figure out how to get my DS4 working on here for about 30 minutes, and I'm tech savvy.

You may want to try an older version of DSTool. 1.1 Beta 3 works for me with RE4HD, maybe the same would be true of DS2.

JLeack

Banned
UPDATE: I bear great news! DS4Tool wasn't working for me, so I did some Googling and found a guide which was made for Dark Souls. I figured I'd try it for Dark Souls 2, and to my great surprise it worked!

In other words, I'm confirming that you can in-fact use your DualShock 4 to play Dark Souls 2 on PC!

Instead of using DS4Tool, download X360CE and place it in your Dark Souls 2 Game folder (for me it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dark Souls II\Game). The guide is below.

http://en.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1pluy3/how_to_use_a_dualshock_4_with_dark_souls/

God speed compatriots.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm way above all the other stuff, and don't mind playing at 30fps so hopefully it will look decent. I'll give the check my requirements a go.

If this ugly ass game won't run smoothly at high settings on my 460 after so many better looking games this past generation did, I'm going to be pretty annoyed, especially after all this talk of "even a modest system can run it wonderfully."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom